WashU (wustl) Class of 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
rennes99

New

WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Post by rennes99 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:06 am

who's joining me? :)

ramjam

New

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Post by ramjam » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:10 pm

hey long time lurker, seat deposit put in last week cant wait to start....u goin 2 the ASD comin up?

rennes99

New

Post by rennes99 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:16 pm

HAHA! yes, i have confirmed my seat as well. see you next week!

ramjam

New

Post by ramjam » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:17 pm

nice see you there....did they give u much love schollie wise? i was one of the disappointed ones but oh well wustl is awesome and im goin

rennes99

New

Post by rennes99 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:15 pm

the amount of scholarship $ i received was not the most competitive offer, but i appreciate the free $

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ramjam

New

Post by ramjam » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:02 pm

yeah same here....where are the others to join us????

rch0013

New

Post by rch0013 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:54 pm

I'll be going to WUSTL this fall as well. Best offer on the table.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:47 pm

looks like I will be sending in my deposit sometime next week. just waiting for the fin aid package

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:25 pm

It's down to the wire between Minnesota and WUSTL for me. Both deposits are due on April 1 but UMN's is NOT refundable AND it's $900.............................

...so that's a big decision. I'm not wasting $900 for no reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blakeb23

New

Post by blakeb23 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:09 pm

I'm about this close to sending my deposit to WUSTL. I've eliminated Notre Dame and the choice is now between Vanderbilt and WUSTL. I think the $$$ from WUSTL is going to win out.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Just got accepted today.....waiting on financial aid before I decide. Any idea on how often they send out packages? GK mentioned elsewhere that they sent out packages yesterday. Anyone have a guess on how long I have to wait?

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm

WassAnch wrote:Just got accepted today.....waiting on financial aid before I decide. Any idea on how often they send out packages? GK mentioned elsewhere that they sent out packages yesterday. Anyone have a guess on how long I have to wait?
according to their fin aid office, the turn around should be quick for the fin-aid applications being sent in now. Since you were just accepted I suppose you will need to fill out this financial aid application (http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/index.asp?id=73) prior to your finaid package being ready. You should get a request to fill this form soon but never hurts to get a head start

oh and Congrats :D

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:47 am

so anyone here go to the ASW? details please

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:52 am

gk101 wrote:so anyone here go to the ASW? details please
What kind of details are you looking for in particular?

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:56 am

Lxw wrote:
anything about the school that you found interstinng? What was your opinion of the professors? general impression of the school after the visit

I am sending in my seat deposit today but won't be able to visit until mid-April.

Lawrence

New

Post by Lawrence » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:06 am

Looks like I will be joining you guys at Wash U next year. Still waiting on my financial aid package, but as long as all that works out it's a done deal.
Last edited by Lawrence on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:17 am

gk101 wrote:anything about the school that you found interstinng?
I liked that there were two golf courses right next door :P If my memory serves me correctly, you were looking to do patent law, right? I was told the IP society at WashU was trying to start a 4th law journal devoted solely to IP-related law. The 3 journals there are apparently on equal status prestige-wise (I found this to be interesting, probably because I never heard of it being like that at other schools). The buildings all look new and the classrooms are nice, which is a welcome change from UG.

The current students and recent alumni made a point of stressing that WashU's legal writing class does a lot to put you ahead of other students from other law schools (one stated that he beat a t-14 student on that basis for getting a offer at the end of 2L summer).
What was your opinion of the professors?
The professor for one of the classes I sat in on was awesome, he seemed to be very knowledgeable and asked what I thought were very pointed questions during the class (although that could have just been me and my lack of familiarity with the UN/International law). I later learned the guy was an ambassador to the UN or a diplomat to that extent, which made me feel kind of silly.
general impression of the school after the visit
Nothing struck out negatively, very beautiful campus. While the current economy sucks, I came away with the impression that the career office is doing a lot to increase marketability of its students, and we can only expect things to get better in the future.

The area surrounding the school sort of struck me as odd, but that's probably due to my east coast upbringing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawrence

New

Post by Lawrence » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:19 am

gk101 wrote:
Lxw wrote:
anything about the school that you found interstinng? What was your opinion of the professors? general impression of the school after the visit

I am sending in my seat deposit today but won't be able to visit until mid-April.
Couldn't make it to admitted students day but here is what I would say after visiting a while ago...

1. A lot of time is spent stressing that the location of the school really isn't that bad. I didn't think it wa snecessary as I like St. Louis, but maybe that's just me.

2. They definitely want to reinforce that they are a top 20 school and that they have a national reach. On one hand it seems like they are trying too hard and they should not have to stress this so much. On the other hand it seems like they are trying very hard to make job prospects match up with their rise in rankings, which is very positive. They also don't seem content to stop where they are at, which I like.

3. The facilities seem to be top notch. I haven't visited a lot of schools, but Wash U blew the ones I have visited out of the water. I really left amazed by how nice everything is.

4. Can't say too much about the professors because I only sit in on one class, it was interesting though.

5. I left with a pretty good feeling about the school overall. They don't have the placement of a top 14 obviously, but it definitely seems like they are doing a lot to make sure their students are successful.
Last edited by Lawrence on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:38 am

Thanks for the information guys. Definitely getting excited about attending and will send my deposit sometime today. Have any of you looked into apartments for next year yet?

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 am

gk101 wrote:Thanks for the information guys. Definitely getting excited about attending and will send my deposit sometime today. Have any of you looked into apartments for next year yet?
GK, did you decide on WUSTL or did you just send in the seat deposit to see what kind of new money they'll throw at you after April 1st?

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:41 am

My decision here is really coming down to the wire. I sent an email at the beginning of last week asking to negotiate my scholarship (I have received twice as much $$ from peer schools), but have not received anything even acknowledging that my emails have been received, which is worrisome. I suppose I should call the school today to confirm, but I don't want to appear to be "nagging." It just seems strange that several students on this forum with almost identical numbers sent their scholarship requests at the same time or after me and have already received increased offers?

Also, re: the facilities...Yeah. There is virtually no comparison between WUSTL's building(s) and the facilities of other schools I've toured. AB Hall makes them look like janitor's closets pretty much across the board.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:45 am

gogators wrote:
gk101 wrote:Thanks for the information guys. Definitely getting excited about attending and will send my deposit sometime today. Have any of you looked into apartments for next year yet?
GK, did you decide on WUSTL or did you just send in the seat deposit to see what kind of new money they'll throw at you after April 1st?
A combination of both. With the money they already offered it is an excellent option. I was hoping for something from GW but it doesn't look like I can find out without sending in $500. At least WUSTL makes their deposits refundable till May. I really like WUSTL and want to work in the midwest or NYC and they place fairly well in both those markets. best case scenario would be getting off of one of the many waitlists but otherwise I am happy with WashU

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:47 am

gk101 wrote:
gogators wrote:
A combination of both. With the money they already offered it is an excellent option. I was hoping for something from GW but it doesn't look like I can find out without sending in $500. At least WUSTL makes their deposits refundable till May. I really like WUSTL and want to work in the midwest or NYC and they place fairly well in both those markets. best case scenario would be getting off of one of the many waitlists but otherwise I am happy with WashU
I'm in the same decision for GW. I talked with their people and they said that IF money became available, it wouldn't until after the seat deadline. I'm going to the Preview event this week and going to talk to their admissions people in person about not paying sticker, because I would like to be in D.C., but if not, my visit to Notre Dame also this week may sway me considerably. WUSTL gave me some money, but I'm hoping to get more and then that might bump it up on my list, or at least possibly helping in negotiating.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:18 am

steindle wrote:My decision here is really coming down to the wire. I sent an email at the beginning of last week asking to negotiate my scholarship (I have received twice as much $$ from peer schools), but have not received anything even acknowledging that my emails have been received, which is worrisome. I suppose I should call the school today to confirm, but I don't want to appear to be "nagging." It just seems strange that several students on this forum with almost identical numbers sent their scholarship requests at the same time or after me and have already received increased offers?

Also, re: the facilities...Yeah. There is virtually no comparison between WUSTL's building(s) and the facilities of other schools I've toured. AB Hall makes them look like janitor's closets pretty much across the board.
You are not alone on this, I sent an email the day I received my scholly $$ in mid March and heard zilch, called last week to someone in finaid and she said I did email the right person so I emailed again politely....I will be calling later this week if I don't get a response.
I don't want to be naggy either, but the $$ is a big part of my decision, and another peer school already upped their offer for me so I feel like it's game on at this point! ;)

Lawrence

New

Post by Lawrence » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 am

I've done quite a bit of looking and actually have a deposit down to hold an apartment for next year. It's in a little different area than the school usually talks about living in but it's cheap, nice, and only 1 mile away from the school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”