WashU (wustl) Class of 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ksp405

New

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Post by ksp405 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:25 pm

anyone else stumped by the sheer logistics of moving? I just realized that i'll have to pay my car registration SOMEWHERE in February, and if I do it in MO i have to pay property tax on it!?!

Also that i'll have to tow it there in the first place, so will need to find a route that will make it the 600+ miles without making a right turn...

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Mon May 11, 2009 4:30 pm

ksp405 wrote:anyone else stumped by the sheer logistics of moving? I just realized that i'll have to pay my car registration SOMEWHERE in February, and if I do it in MO i have to pay property tax on it!?!

Also that i'll have to tow it there in the first place, so will need to find a route that will make it the 600+ miles without making a right turn...

lol, why don't you just drive it there??
I'm might be driving 950 miles to bring my car.

ksp405

New

Post by ksp405 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Ali wrote:
ksp405 wrote:anyone else stumped by the sheer logistics of moving? I just realized that i'll have to pay my car registration SOMEWHERE in February, and if I do it in MO i have to pay property tax on it!?!

lol, why don't you just drive it there??
I'm might be driving 950 miles to bring my car.

well i have to drive damn uhaul too

wow this blows

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Mon May 11, 2009 4:41 pm

Ugh I have a bad feeling that I am behind on my registration at home. I haven't driven my car for literally months. Does anyone have any idea what to do in this situation? I assume I receive a penalty of some sort?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon May 11, 2009 4:56 pm

I don't even have a car, but I need a car, and then I need to drive said car with a UHaul trailer from DC to StL. Yep. And I have 3 months to figure this out...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Mon May 11, 2009 7:00 pm

steindle wrote:Ugh I have a bad feeling that I am behind on my registration at home. I haven't driven my car for literally months. Does anyone have any idea what to do in this situation? I assume I receive a penalty of some sort?

Yea I believe there is a penalty. Maybe you can say something like it was at the mechanic shop for a few months or something like that.

RAFisher

New

Post by RAFisher » Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 pm

I am moving from California and I'll be using UPack. They have a pod service where they drop the pod off when I tell them to (about the size of a parking space) and pick it up when I'm ready. Then they move the pod for me, that way I am free to drive my car across the country. I'm not sure if it's because of the distance, but the pods are actually cheaper to rent and if you include the gas that U-Hauls eat, it's quite a bit cheaper. I'm figuring that the ride will be more enjoyable in a car rather than in a large U-Haul that's topping out at 50 MPH. For those having to bring a vehicle, this might be something to consider.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Mon May 11, 2009 8:06 pm

steindle wrote:Ugh I have a bad feeling that I am behind on my registration at home. I haven't driven my car for literally months. Does anyone have any idea what to do in this situation? I assume I receive a penalty of some sort?
You shouldn't receive a penalty. I have been several months behind on my registration every year for the past three. It might depend on the state, but I've always been fine in Nebraska--they simply backdated the registration. For example, my registration this year was due in January. I renewed it in March, but it still comes due again in Jan.

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Mon May 11, 2009 9:41 pm

RAFisher wrote:I am moving from California and I'll be using UPack. They have a pod service where they drop the pod off when I tell them to (about the size of a parking space) and pick it up when I'm ready. Then they move the pod for me, that way I am free to drive my car across the country. I'm not sure if it's because of the distance, but the pods are actually cheaper to rent and if you include the gas that U-Hauls eat, it's quite a bit cheaper. I'm figuring that the ride will be more enjoyable in a car rather than in a large U-Haul that's topping out at 50 MPH. For those having to bring a vehicle, this might be something to consider.
Wow...isn't it about 2000 miles from Cali?
That UPack thing is gonna cost at least $1500-$2000 right??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RAFisher

New

Post by RAFisher » Mon May 11, 2009 9:45 pm

Ali wrote:
RAFisher wrote:I am moving from California and I'll be using UPack. They have a pod service where they drop the pod off when I tell them to (about the size of a parking space) and pick it up when I'm ready. Then they move the pod for me, that way I am free to drive my car across the country. I'm not sure if it's because of the distance, but the pods are actually cheaper to rent and if you include the gas that U-Hauls eat, it's quite a bit cheaper. I'm figuring that the ride will be more enjoyable in a car rather than in a large U-Haul that's topping out at 50 MPH. For those having to bring a vehicle, this might be something to consider.
Wow...isn't it about 2000 miles from Cali?
That UPack thing is gonna cost at least $1500-$2000 right??
Closer to $1400, but still pretty weak, right? :?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon May 11, 2009 9:46 pm

I did some number crunching, and Upack is like 2x more expensive than renting a uhaul trailer :-/ (for me, anyway)

ksp405

New

Post by ksp405 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:52 am

I love RAFisher. This would cost me about the same. Now I can just drive my go-cart of a honda civic and make right turns at will.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Tue May 12, 2009 11:40 am

So...Are people just moving into places sight unseen? The only weekend that is convenient for me to visit is Memorial Day weekend and no one seems to be able to show me apartments at that time -- in many cases they're not even certain what will be open in August.

I really do not want to close on an apartment without having some vague idea of what it's actually like/where it is/etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MaiKleenex

New

Post by MaiKleenex » Tue May 12, 2009 1:55 pm

anyone out there like Wash U, ready to look at apartments, etc., but can't let go of the chance of getting off a waitlist? I don't know when I should realistically "give up" (probably the answer is NOW) and move forward 100 percent with Wash U, sign a lease, etc.

just looking for your 2 cents.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 12, 2009 2:11 pm

MaiKleenex wrote:anyone out there like Wash U, ready to look at apartments, etc., but can't let go of the chance of getting off a waitlist? I don't know when I should realistically "give up" (probably the answer is NOW) and move forward 100 percent with Wash U, sign a lease, etc.

depends on the waitlist!

ksp405

New

Post by ksp405 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:32 pm

I'm definitely leasing without seeing the place first... yeah it makes me nervous but google streetview helps... also, I'm waiting til mid-June to sign a lease, since I might have a crisis if I can get off of the GW wait list (am not at all counting on that, and am fully resigned to losing money if it happens though). But I figure that mid-june is a reasonable amount of time to still find something decent in STL...

ShaBam84

New

Post by ShaBam84 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:57 pm

ksp405 wrote:I'm definitely leasing without seeing the place first... yeah it makes me nervous but google streetview helps... also, I'm waiting til mid-June to sign a lease, since I might have a crisis if I can get off of the GW wait list (am not at all counting on that, and am fully resigned to losing money if it happens though). But I figure that mid-june is a reasonable amount of time to still find something decent in STL...
GW will let you off, I would recommend withdrawing now as it is often difficult to find good housing in DC if you start late... and oh, I need your spot.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 12, 2009 3:03 pm

ShaBam84 wrote:GW will let you off, I would recommend withdrawing now as it is often difficult to find good housing in DC if you start late... and oh, I need your spot.
??? I found housing in DC on a month's notice.

Adele

New

Post by Adele » Tue May 12, 2009 3:38 pm

MaiKleenex wrote:anyone out there like Wash U, ready to look at apartments, etc., but can't let go of the chance of getting off a waitlist? I don't know when I should realistically "give up" (probably the answer is NOW) and move forward 100 percent with Wash U, sign a lease, etc.

*sigh* The story of my life! I think Im going to wait it out and sign a lease in Aug. Im going to be out of the country all summer so i figure when i get back fly down, stay in a hotel for a few nights then find something??? I've never lived in an apt before so i have no idea what that entails and how long it takes for it to become "liveable"...*sigh* Is anyone shipping their stuff?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

strawk

New

Post by strawk » Wed May 13, 2009 1:16 pm

i'm a current student (no longer a 1L!) and i was like 6 months behind on registration in my home state and just went through the whole process to register my car in MO. you don't have to pay property taxes on your car when you register, but you have to go to city hall to get a tax waiver that you show the dmv people when you register (there's no fee with that, and it took like two seconds to get). and there was no penalty for being unregistered, although it's possible there might have been if i'd tried to reregister back home.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Thu May 14, 2009 3:49 pm

So...frankly I have very little idea how financial aid works. When do we actually start applying for GradPlus loans, etc? I signed and faxed my financial aid/award letter a little over a week ago and I have no idea what comes next.

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Thu May 14, 2009 4:13 pm

steindle wrote:So...frankly I have very little idea how financial aid works. When do we actually start applying for GradPlus loans, etc? I signed and faxed my financial aid/award letter a little over a week ago and I have no idea what comes next.

I believe the Financial Aid Office will contact us with the details after they get the signed award letter.

ksp405

New

Post by ksp405 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:33 am

I went through accessgroup.org and got pre-approved for the GradPlus loan back in February (since it's credit-based, I wanted to make sure I could qualify on my own). I saw the information on the financial aid websites of several other law schools, and in some books -though obviously I think you have options re. which loan provider/service you use.
But I've never used government aid before either, so am just going off of what i've read - am assumming that getting pre-approved might save me some time.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Fri May 15, 2009 9:56 am

Hmm, thanks for that website. I wish I could remember what my "Requested Loan Amount" is, but I'm at work and don't have access to my financial aid info at the moment. It would greatly put my mind at ease just to know that I CAN get this loan.

I mean I have essentially flawless credit as far as I can remember, but now I fear that there's something in there I forgot about!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”