WashU (wustl) Class of 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
chadwick218

Silver

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:45 pm

bigdtrain wrote:Chadwick, are you a trojan? How long ago did you graduate?
Yep, graduated in 2004.

bigdtrain

New

Post by bigdtrain » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:08 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Yep, graduated in 2004.

Awesome, nice to know ill be in good company. After seeing the amount of SEC football fans on the facebook group I was beginning to worry.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Just got the information for the housing fair on june 18th. Now I just need to make arrangements for 17th and 18th nights. Any good/convenient hotels around that area? looking forward to meeting some of you guys there

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

VAGATOR

New

Post by VAGATOR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:15 pm

bigdtrain wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
Yep, graduated in 2004.

Awesome, nice to know ill be in good company. After seeing the amount of SEC football fans on the facebook group I was beginning to worry.
:D :D :D :D

Who would of thought St. Louis would be the new home of some future USC vs SEC fan battles.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigdtrain

New

Post by bigdtrain » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:31 pm

I certainly hope so, haha.
I am just a huge college football fan in general. There are only a few teams that I actually hate with any sort of passion. I am a Tebow supporter though, he seems like a great kid and plays real hard-nose too. I think Saturdays will be a huge stress reliever if we can get some people together and watch a few games.

dpburm

New

Post by dpburm » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:40 pm

you all should stay at the hotel on campus in the knight center or you can stay at the moonrise hotel which is on the Delmar loop (maybe a 15-20 min walk to campus)

cant wait to see all of you in the fall!

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:55 pm

Lxw wrote:
gk101 wrote:Just got the information for the housing fair on june 18th. Now I just need to make arrangements for 17th and 18th nights. Any good/convenient hotels around that area? looking forward to meeting some of you guys there
go with a hotel that's on the metro line, i believe there are a ton of them, and its more convenient. If you go with the Chesire Lodge (lol) be aware it's like a 30 min walk to campus.
dpburm wrote:you all should stay at the hotel on campus in the knight center or you can stay at the moonrise hotel which is on the Delmar loop (maybe a 15-20 min walk to campus)

cant wait to see all of you in the fall!
thanks for the info. I will have a car so the distance to campus is not really a worry. I just want to get the apartment search over with soon. Have the rest of you settled on a place yet?

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:19 pm

I haven't even started looking yet, so I'm hoping that the housing day on the 18th will help me pick out a place.

Are you guys going to try and get a roomate?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VAGATOR

New

Post by VAGATOR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:08 pm

gk101 wrote: thanks for the info. I will have a car so the distance to campus is not really a worry. I just want to get the apartment search over with soon. Have the rest of you settled on a place yet?
I was in town Memorial Day Weekend, and I found a nice little townhouse right off Maryland Ave in the Central West End.(CWE) I would also like to thank a fellow TLSer who showed me around town that weekend. :D Here were a few of my observations as an out of towner. I spent most of my in the CWE and must of driven down every street I was completely surprised the lack of for rent signs outside except for the big apartment buildings. I really consider myself lucky to find the type of place I found with its great location. It is obvious that the CWE is the place to be for grad students and younger professionals outside the Downtown loft district. I also noticed it's also a little pricier than the other parts of town, but I think it will be worth it. It is also very true you have to watch for areas listed in the CWE but really not in the CWE, and the areas around the CWE can become very sketchy, very quickly, particularly if you are heading north in the direction of Delmar. I also spent time in the Clayton area, where I saw a lot more for rent signs, but I found the area too suburban for my taste, and that includes the downtown Clayton area. I must admit, my time in University City was short, it reminded me too much of my student ghetto days as an undergrad, but sketcher, and I was immediately turned off. If you are looking for a cheaper option, and don't mind paying for what you get, you should check it out. I admit, I didn't really check out the Dogtown or the Soulard areas. I hope this helps a tad.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:17 pm

In terms of places to stay while you're visiting, my fiance and I used Hotwire and found a "3-star" place Downtown for a little less than $60/night, I think. It turned out to be a Holiday Inn Select and it wasn't bad at all, though the "3-star" rating was questionable. The location was convenient and easy to find...we hopped on the Metro and got to the school in like 15 minutes after a nice walk. And contrary to what I've heard, there was actually stuff to do on a Sunday evening Downtown. It wasn't exactly off-the-hook and what WAS happening certainly wasn't my scene (dressed-up clubby bar stuff), but at least it was active.

joehad7

New

Post by joehad7 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:21 am

VAGATOR wrote:
gk101 wrote: thanks for the info. I will have a car so the distance to campus is not really a worry. I just want to get the apartment search over with soon. Have the rest of you settled on a place yet?
I was in town Memorial Day Weekend, and I found a nice little townhouse right off Maryland Ave in the Central West End.(CWE) I would also like to thank a fellow TLSer who showed me around town that weekend. :D Here were a few of my observations as an out of towner. I spent most of my in the CWE and must of driven down every street I was completely surprised the lack of for rent signs outside except for the big apartment buildings. I really consider myself lucky to find the type of place I found with its great location. It is obvious that the CWE is the place to be for grad students and younger professionals outside the Downtown loft district. I also noticed it's also a little pricier than the other parts of town, but I think it will be worth it. It is also very true you have to watch for areas listed in the CWE but really not in the CWE, and the areas around the CWE can become very sketchy, very quickly, particularly if you are heading north in the direction of Delmar. I also spent time in the Clayton area, where I saw a lot more for rent signs, but I found the area too suburban for my taste, and that includes the downtown Clayton area. I must admit, my time in University City was short, it reminded me too much of my student ghetto days as an undergrad, but sketcher, and I was immediately turned off. If you are looking for a cheaper option, and don't mind paying for what you get, you should check it out. I admit, I didn't really check out the Dogtown or the Soulard areas. I hope this helps a tad.
Ha. Good times, VAGATOR. I hope I can find time to study on Friday nights between the law school happy hour and the 80's night at Rue 13.

I am in the process off looking at places in the CWE as well, though I am a bit more limited, as I am fairly certain that I'll be looking for a 1 bedroom (I've become all too comfortable living alone.) My basic strategy is to find something within walking distance of the intersection of Euclid and Maryland. This tends to be the most active area of the neighborhood and it features a 24 hour coffee shop (Coffee Cartel). I've found two decent places within a 10 minute walk, though both are lacking in closet space. Surprisingly, I found a great apartment on the 10th floor of a highrise on Lindell which had great closet space and was within a 5 minute walk. Parking, however, could be an issue.

I'm also keeping an eye on the Gold Line of the WUSTL bus route, as I could see myself attempting to use a greener and more economical means of transportation to and from school.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:11 am

I have narrowed down my search to 1 bedroom apartments in either Clayton or CWE. Those of us attending the housing day in June should meet up for drinks or something. I can ask on the facebook group as well if there's any interest

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigdtrain

New

Post by bigdtrain » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:52 pm

For those that have been to really check out places what do you think about the metro and the school's shuttle system? I will not have a car next year so being close to campus or a metro/shuttle stop is a huge concern.

I've been really interested in the pricing of some places in the loop (seems great to be so close to campus) but I have heard complaints about the undergrad population and possible crime. Does anyone that has lived in a super urban area have an opinion or advice? I went to school in los angeles and lived downtown for a couple years, the climate there never seemed to worry me at all. Any sort of idea would be appreciated..... thanks.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:28 pm

bigdtrain wrote:For those that have been to really check out places what do you think about the metro and the school's shuttle system? I will not have a car next year so being close to campus or a metro/shuttle stop is a huge concern.
My fiance and I have one car between us, and she will almost certainly be using it 95% of the time, so this was a major concern for me as well.

You're almost certainly going to hear that the public transit system in St. Louis is terrible blah blah blah. Keep it in context. This is coming from people who have either never been reliant on public transit or who are accustomed to huge (Chicago, New York, Philly, etc) transit systems.

I know this attitude well because I grew up in a city with a transit system that is maligned by both lifelong city residents and those coming in from outside. These people are simply expecting too much. Pittsburgh's metro area is the 19th or 20th largest in the country. Its transit system is the 14th most-ridden and most expansive. That means that Pittsburgh actually has a larger transit system than it "should," proportionally. It outstrips many large cities in the South and West significantly, and outshines many cities of its size. I was very active and mobile as a kid and didn't get a driver's license until I was 19 and living in Poughkeepsie, NY.

St. Louis' system is very similar, and its Metro actually makes a lot of sense in comparison to Pittsburgh's light rail system -- i.e. it goes to places you might actually want to go (CWE, WashU, Downtown, the airport, Shrewsbury shopping district) rather than straight to a totally arbitrary suburb (Bethel Park) via a city neighborhood with virtually no business district (Beechview). I anticipate that I will be using the Metro quite a bit -- to get Downtown, to the airport, to transfer to a bus, and potentially even to pick up some groceries at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

That said, about 1/3 of the STL system was just cut due to a close vote where ultimately the people in the county surrounding the city voted down a resolution to continue supporting it at the same level. A huge number of routes were dropped...enough to make a public transit fiend like me want to weep! Hopefully something will be done to rectify this soon, since the maintenance and growth of a city is largely reliant on the mobility of its populace -- to get to their jobs and to spend money in disparate business districts! And as much as those county residents might not believe that they benefit from it, the fact is that the health or sickness of the core radiates outward and they can't dodge the ill effects of their choices forever.

Wow, sorry. Obviously you've engaged me on an issue I feel pretty passionately about. In summary: If you have survived in L.A. without a car, you should be okay in St. Louis -- especially if you bike. Most of the places you want to go will be on the Metro, but the others are on easily-accessible bus lines (#10 or #40 to Soulard, #70 up and down Grand, #90 to the Hill, etc).
I've been really interested in the pricing of some places in the loop (seems great to be so close to campus) but I have heard complaints about the undergrad population and possible crime. Does anyone that has lived in a super urban area have an opinion or advice? I went to school in los angeles and lived downtown for a couple years, the climate there never seemed to worry me at all. Any sort of idea would be appreciated..... thanks.
I've been to the Loop for a total of about a week, so take what I say with a grain of salt...but, by and large, I found it entirely nonthreatening. The consensus seems to be to stay south of Delmar Blvd and west of Skinker, but if you've lived in a large urban area you will probably find these restrictions kind of silly. The crime stats for all St. Louis neighborhoods are freely available via the STL police database if you want to check them yourself -- you can map them onto the area you're interested in, etc. I'm living in Skinker-DeBaliviere only two blocks from the Delmar Metro stop and my street is honestly bordering on serene. If you know how to conduct yourself in Downtown L.A., you will survive and thrive in the Loop area I think.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:10 pm

In a really odd twist of fate, I was just getting some food from a cart a few blocks from work this afternoon, standing with my bike in line...and three 20-somethings came up to me and asked where they should eat and what they should see in Pittsburgh. They said they chose me specifically because they were looking to ask someone on a bike.

I gave them a lot of pointers and then asked where they were coming from. It turned out that all three are Architecture students at WashU! What are the chances of that? And to make matters more bizarre, they live within a block of the place I'm moving in August.

FWIW, they said that the area of Skinker-Debaliviere closer to Des Peres is not overwhelmingly undergrad-y.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:44 pm

steindle wrote:In a really odd twist of fate, I was just getting some food from a cart a few blocks from work this afternoon, standing with my bike in line...and three 20-somethings came up to me and asked where they should eat and what they should see in Pittsburgh. They said they chose me specifically because they were looking to ask someone on a bike.

I gave them a lot of pointers and then asked where they were coming from. It turned out that all three are Architecture students at WashU! What are the chances of that? And to make matters more bizarre, they live within a block of the place I'm moving in August.

FWIW, they said that the area of Skinker-Debaliviere closer to Des Peres is not overwhelmingly undergrad-y.
The longer I live the more I realize that it is a very, very small world. I'm from Alaska and have ran into high school friends...in Nebraska.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Just got an email via email. In off the hold list w/ some $ (167/2.84). Really excited to be moving to St. Louis

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:06 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:Just got an email via email. In off the hold list w/ some $ (167/2.84). Really excited to be moving to St. Louis
Congratulations! Do you plan on going to the housing event on the 18th?

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:24 pm

I wasn't originally planning on it but it seems very likely

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:57 pm

buslaw4302 wrote:Just got an email via email. In off the hold list w/ some $ (167/2.84). Really excited to be moving to St. Louis

I loled.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:00 am

Ali wrote:

I loled.
+1. I know it wasn't intentional, but I chuckled. I hope I get an email via email from WUSTL. Hell, I would take an email via phone call, or a letter, smoke signal, telepathy, etc. to pull off my waitlist longshot miracle.

buslaw4302

New

Post by buslaw4302 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:05 am

Oops, i did lol as well. Just assumed I would be notified via phone and staring at my blackberry at 9:30 trying to figure out if the subject of the email had been a mistake or a joke must have left me a bit loopy.. hah.

Now that I get to join this party, where does everyone seem to be living? I have never been to the midwest but cant wait to go visit later this month.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:25 am

buslaw4302 wrote: Now that I get to join this party, where does everyone seem to be living? I have never been to the midwest but cant wait to go visit later this month.
Clayton and CWE seem to be the more popular choices. Go on the admitted students site and look at the housing surveys to get a better idea.

How many people typically show up for these housing events? I am going to be driving down from chicago on the 17th and stay there through the 19th. Since I didn't get a chance to go to the ASW's I am looking forward to this visit

hwmyones

Bronze

Post by hwmyones » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:31 am

gk101 wrote:
buslaw4302 wrote: Now that I get to join this party, where does everyone seem to be living? I have never been to the midwest but cant wait to go visit later this month.
Clayton and CWE seem to be the more popular choices. Go on the admitted students site and look at the housing surveys to get a better idea.

How many people typically show up for these housing events? I am going to be driving down from chicago on the 17th and stay there through the 19th. Since I didn't get a chance to go to the ASW's I am looking forward to this visit

It's a pretty informal thing. In the morning, you meet at the school, and a bunch of building managers are there and hand out information about their buildings. Then I think they have a bus tour, but I skipped that. Your best bet is to go on craigs list and look for apartments before you get to St. Louis, set up your appointments for the housing day, sometime after noon, and then when the bus tour is over, just go look at the places you're considering.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”