Harvard ASW-W-WHAT! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
pinkflamingo

New

Re: Harvard ASW-W-WHAT!

Post by pinkflamingo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:27 pm

kill the model.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Where the hell were some of you guys?

I met treple, iago, Eri, krswmact, JoeSchmo.

And yes, we actually made convo based on our TLS-connection. Iago, for example, introduced himself as iago at one point. Actually, I was walking towards the front of the crowd and Eri goes "Whoa wait! You're Objection?!" Apparently, my reputation preceded me.

There was a group of about 9 of us that met for lunch to start the day, which expanded to 20 after the reception. Our group was the one causing a bottleneck in the hallway during the reception. We hit up a few bars but we made every place so packed that it was kind of eh...

Just getting home.

BTW, no offense if any of you are this person, but that one chick during the negotiation clinic was getting heated with that discussion. It was so funny. Gunner alert!

I was wearing a pair of dark blue jeans and a white/thin blue stripes button down. Glasses for most of the night, too, which is a change from the usual.

Our group saved the Physician, the kid, and the stay at home mom.

I was pleasantly surprised by the people. While there were a few creepers, everyone seemed approachable, friendly, and down to earth. It just felt really natural.

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:46 pm

haha yes the eager chick that was good times
...like foreshadowing perhaps?

yes i do want to come say hi but i have no idea how to find y'all

edit:too many buts in my sentences.

excitedutterance

New

Post by excitedutterance » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Obj, I only knew it was you because your picture on here is a steelers logo, and someone on facebook had a steelers logo, and that person's name matched the nametag of the person I thought was you (which I'm fairly sure was you, for that reason). I should forego law school and be a detective.

In other news, who's excited for an early morning?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:50 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:haha yes the eager chick that was good times
...like foreshadowing perhaps?

yes i do want to come say hi but i have no idea how to find y'all

edit:too many buts in my sentences.

We should have written our TLS names on our nametags.
Obj, I only knew it was you because your picture on here is a steelers logo, and someone on facebook had a steelers logo, and that person's name matched the nametag of the person I thought was you (which I'm fairly sure was you, for that reason). I should forego law school and be a detective.

In other news, who's excited for an early morning?
Why the hell didn't you say something, noob?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:51 pm

excitedutterance you're at the marriott lets head to registration together?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:56 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:excitedutterance you're at the marriott lets head to registration together?
Yes, and find me tomorrow.

You too, Frenchie!

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:58 pm

K well if i'll be wearing white and grey, and a name tag.
And also, i'm black, in case you see me first.

excitedutterance

New

Post by excitedutterance » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:04 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:excitedutterance you're at the marriott lets head to registration together?
Good idea! What time were you thinking of heading over?
Objection wrote:Why the hell didn't you say something, noob?
I'unno. Sometimes I have a high threshhold to cross before I engage in random acts of interpersonal communication. It also didn't help that the only thing I could think to say was "You're Objection!"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:07 pm

FrenchiePatootie wrote:K well if i'll be wearing white and grey, and a name tag.
And also, i'm black, in case you see me first.
I saw two black girls in the reception off near the doors to the room where everyone put their stuff. Sort of. Talking to a black guy.

Were you one of them?
I'unno. Sometimes I have a high threshhold to cross before I engage in random acts of interpersonal communication. It also didn't help that the only thing I could think to say was "You're Objection!"
I would wait 'til one of my friends broke off and made new friends, and then go see what my friend was up to and get introduced to the whole group.

Worked pretty well!

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:10 pm

well the registration is at 9:30 so we could do that if you want
we could meet at like 9:10 or so in the lobby and ask for the shuttle (its free)
whatever works for you, i'm flexible

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Objection i think so i was standing there w/my mom for a tad but there were 2 black girls and a guy there talking to us.
i did keeping looking at you because i was thinking "is that objection" lol whatacreeper sorry about that btw

excitedutterance

New

Post by excitedutterance » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:25 pm

Obj, good idea. I'll do that tomorrow. Though I think that tomorrow it will be hard to not meet people, which is good.

Frenchie, I'll be down in the lobby at 9:10! If the shuttle doesn't work, the T goes right by the law school, though it's $2 (I think). Either works for me!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:25 pm

pinkflamingo wrote:kill the model.
??

Anyway, I was there, but had no idea how to find any TLS-ers. There's gotta be a non-creepy way of doing this.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:35 pm

KP429 wrote:
??

Anyway, I was there, but had no idea how to find any TLS-ers. There's gotta be a non-creepy way of doing this.
Haha well we all just sort of joked about it. It was no big deal.

sluggo

Bronze

Post by sluggo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:38 am

Objection, my gf and I are at the hyatt. Want to take the 9am shuttle to harvard square with us? PM me or just reply on here.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:43 am

Yeah, where is everyone? I'll be the guy with the dark hair, dark glasses, and white shirt. It's day two everyone; introduce youselves. Ready annnnd.....

GO!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:47 pm

Yeah so now that about half a dozen people - at least - outed me ("Hey, you're Objection, aren't you? I've been wanting to meet you!"), it may be time for me to chill with posting. Haha.

FrenchiePatootie

Bronze

Post by FrenchiePatootie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:10 am

excitedutterance
there are 2 marriotts and i wanna say we are at different ones?

excitedutterance

New

Post by excitedutterance » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:04 am

FrenchiePatootie wrote:excitedutterance
there are 2 marriotts and i wanna say we are at different ones?
I'm thinking yes. Haha. I waited but, having no way to contact you, gave up. I bet you did the same :D.

p.s. I hope everyone's group dinners were fun last night.

p.p.s. Objection, I'm sad she didn't call on you in the mock class! We could have continued our argument...

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:21 pm

so overall what did you guys think? did you love it - did it beat/meet your expectations?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:19 pm

It was absolutely fantastic and I loved every second of it (well, except the sketchy bar that the student organizations took us too that had a bunch of really creepy people grinding). Exceeded my expectations by far.

I didn't realize how draining these things are. Thankfully, I have a few days to recover before Michigan's.

I'll have a detailed write-up at some point in the next week.

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 am

Some Random Things:
- 100 of the 300 kids this weekend were from Ivies. 60 of the 100 were from HYP.
- Don't be fooled by the beautiful weather on Sunday. That was one of the nicest March days I can ever remember in New England and I've been here the past 4 years for UG.
- The people are generally smart and for the most part, normal. This was definitely comforting.
- The current students don’t seem universally happy. The school caters to a specific kind of student – “go-getters” – and you can EASILY fall through the cracks there with so many kids. This I’m absolutely sure of. Yes, there are a ton of resources available in whatever field you’re interested in, but the name Harvard is not gonna be enough to get you where you want on its own unless you just want your run of the mill corporate job. If that’s the case, I guess you can just coast for 3 years.
- One kid who discussed H v. Y brought up a really good point. He said that if you know exactly what you want to do, Yale is a better choice. If you don’t know what you want to do, Harvard is a better choice because there are more options available. I would extend this a bit and say that if you know that you want to be in a specific field (or two or three), Yale would be the better choice. I think Harvard would be better ONLY if you have absolutely no idea of what you want to do. The curriculum really is unrivaled.
- I have a diverse set of interests, I think: Education law, sports law, child advocacy, etc. I thought there would be a lot more kids with similar interests since there are more kids at Harvard in general. That wasn’t really the case, though.
- Overall, I really don’t think Harvard has any advantages that I won’t find at Yale. The Harvard name itself doesn’t seem to be guaranteeing anything for current students (1Ls are still struggling big-time for major market associateships), but the top overachievers have great access to the resources Harvard has to offer. My take is: why compete with more students if I don’t have to?
- Finally, I would say that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of crossover in the fields at Harvard. Everyone is super passionate about the field they want to go into, but people don't _seem_ to do _too_ much outside of that. I can elaborate a little more on that through PMs if you want. I think it was a good idea that I went this weekend and was generally very pleased. I am sure that anyone who chooses Harvard (even me) will be extremely successful and will be able to make use of what Harvard has to offer. With that said, I think that for the marginal advantages Harvard offers (more classes, more resources), Yale’s excellence in every single field at least matches that. I know I won’t fall through the cracks at Yale and the small student body will probably keep me motivated. With that said, I’m still waiting on financial aid to see where I’ll end up. I will definitely have NO problems picking Harvard if it comes down to that.

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:31 am

Hey everyone, I'm finally getting back to school (flight delays and craziness) but it was nice meeting people and I wish I would have met more of the TLS crew! I'll write more about how I found it (it was good overall, though I second Objection on the sketchy Irish bar) later, when I haven't been up for like 20 hours.

So, of those of you who went, a poll: how much did the ASW sway you/confirm your choice in Harvard? Is there anyone it actually swayed away from going to Harvard?

(I expect this thread to LIGHT UP by the time I pull myself out of bed tomorrow. At like noon. :))

pinkflamingo

New

Post by pinkflamingo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:33 am

KP429 wrote:
??
Haha, sorry, I probably should have explained my weird comment for those who weren't there on Saturday night. For some reason my group just really didn't like the model...or the Yankee.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the weekend. Like Objection, I'd say it exceeded my expectations. In general, most of the people that I met (both current students and admits) were friendly. I had several great conversations with current students that really confirmed my interest in HLS. Despite that sketchy bar (Tommy Doyles or something?), I loved Cambridge--And Boston too, for the fews hours that I explored.

I certainly understand the "lost in the cracks" argument. HLS is a big school. The number of admits sitting in Ames Courtroom alone confirmed this. However, for me at least, I saw it more as an advantage. Having gone to a very large high school and a giant university, ~550 students seems manageable, and even small to me. I like that that its size provides a greater variety of activities and interests, as well as students. I am certain that if I attend HLS, I'll be able to find my own group.

So after an exhausting weekend (introducing yourself again and again is more tiring than I realized), I'm seriously considering HLS. I have a couple more ASWs in the coming weeks, but I felt really good about this one. What did everyone else think?

edit: Also, can I just say how funny it was the Yale called people this weekend?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”