University of Washington 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
tvaddicted

Bronze

Re: University of Washington 2012

Post by tvaddicted » Wed May 06, 2009 4:59 pm

pubintrst wrote:
BenjaminAlan wrote:Anyone curious/have any thoughts on the new dean? who that might be? does anyone care? I for one, am totally curious...
Just a little bit <sarcasm>. My biggest fear is, regarding this matter, is that they go bust on another round of dean searching. They named a candidate last year, but that person didn't end up taking the job I believe. If they continue to struggle to find a suitable replacement that just doesn't look good.

I am not letting this dissuade me from attending, since my next best offer (also sticker) is a 30 pt drop in rankings, but it is a bit frustrating. It is interesting to think about how dean quality, or existence in this case, impacts the law school experience. I look at it this way: a great dean uses leadership and motivation to steer the entire school in a positive direction, while a mediocre dean, and to some extent bad ones too, allow for drift and the continuation of the status quo.

Given that, I think the UW is a strong enough program with high caliber faculty and strong support for the rest of the University that drift is tolerable in the short term. Though I would love to be greated by a dean, come this September, who can speak to the entering class in a way that pumps everyone up and really makes you feel that this is going to be an amazing three years.

FWIW.
I definitely agree...wasn't there some controversy with the previous dean? I heard that the dean's relations with alumni was strained.

pubintrst

New

Post by pubintrst » Wed May 06, 2009 5:12 pm

Yes, there was. http://dailyuw.com/2007/1/17/law-dean-r ... ntroversy/

There is a Seattle Times article that I read a while back too.

I'll synopsize from my memory:

It was a mixed tenure, leaving in his wake the following accomplishments. Attributable to him or not he was dean when all of the following happened.

Clerical error that lead to a ~ 6 pt drop in USNWR rankings.

Largest donation to UW Law in history (Gates PSL scholarship fund, $35 mil).

Construction of the new law school building. This is often attributed to Bill Gates as well, but I have never seen a reputable source to confirm. Haven't looked for one either though.

Suspension of a ~$1 million donation from an alum. A former UW law student donated some very sizable amount of money and then froze the donation due to lack of communication. I believe she was wanting to restrict the funds to some specific uses and the school basically didn't step up to the plate and meet with her. Oops.

There was also conflict with him and the faculty.

I'm not too concerned about much of this, as I think the ramifications from most of these negligent actions has dissipated.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed May 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Construction of the new law school building. This is often attributed to Bill Gates as well, but I have never seen a reputable source to confirm. Haven't looked for one either though.
The building is named after Willimam H. Gates, Senior, Bill Gates' father. I'm pretty sure he was the one who donated the money for it as well. He is a graduate of the law school and co-founded Preston Gates & Ellis (now K&L Gates).

BenjaminAlan

New

Post by BenjaminAlan » Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 pm

pubintrst wrote:
BenjaminAlan wrote:Anyone curious/have any thoughts on the new dean? who that might be? does anyone care? I for one, am totally curious...
Just a little bit <sarcasm>. My biggest fear is, regarding this matter, is that they go bust on another round of dean searching. They named a candidate last year, but that person didn't end up taking the job I believe. If they continue to struggle to find a suitable replacement that just doesn't look good.

I am not letting this dissuade me from attending, since my next best offer (also sticker) is a 30 pt drop in rankings, but it is a bit frustrating. It is interesting to think about how dean quality, or existence in this case, impacts the law school experience. I look at it this way: a great dean uses leadership and motivation to steer the entire school in a positive direction, while a mediocre dean, and to some extent bad ones too, allow for drift and the continuation of the status quo.

Given that, I think the UW is a strong enough program with high caliber faculty and strong support for the rest of the University that drift is tolerable in the short term. Though I would love to be greated by a dean, come this September, who can speak to the entering class in a way that pumps everyone up and really makes you feel that this is going to be an amazing three years.

FWIW.
I completely agree..... man it would not speak well for the UW if they miss out on a dean AGAIN. Then in my mind, its like "why not dean Hicks?" I heard that they turned him down a while back.

I think that a dean makes a BIG difference. Perhaps not in the day to day experience of law school, but certainly in the law schools prospects for the future. Especially since the UW as a whole is really hurting financially right now and one of the major roles of a dean is fundraising. I think that they definitely need a leader at this point. A year or two is one thing, but its definitely time.

I heard that the dean of SU withdrew from the running. Not sure if thats true, but I was thinking..maybe its too stressful of a job for some people in this climate. All of UW is running on a really tight budget over the next couple years...anyway, I hope that doesn't impact their selection of a dean in any negative way, but I can see how it easily could.

BenjaminAlan

New

Post by BenjaminAlan » Wed May 06, 2009 7:37 pm

jcl2 wrote:
The building is named after Willimam H. Gates, Senior, Bill Gates' father. I'm pretty sure he was the one who donated the money for it as well. He is a graduate of the law school and co-founded Preston Gates & Ellis (now K&L Gates).
YEa, but you can see in the entrance to the law school, a color coded legend of the largest donors and Bill and Melinda Gates have their own category--- those gifts over 10 mil. I think I heard it was sort a gift from Bill to his dad so I think thats why its named in his honor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pubintrst

New

Post by pubintrst » Wed May 06, 2009 10:48 pm

BenjaminAlan wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
YEa, but you can see in the entrance to the law school, a color coded legend of the largest donors and Bill and Melinda Gates have their own category--- those gifts over 10 mil. I think I heard it was sort a gift from Bill to his dad so I think thats why its named in his honor.
I guess he kinda owes his dad, what after stealing his name and all. Can you imagine naming your son after yourself, fully expecting he'd be called junior all his life and then you get this crap. No one inquires which Bill you're talking about when you refer to Bill Gates.

BenjaminAlan

New

Post by BenjaminAlan » Thu May 07, 2009 2:22 pm

pubintrst wrote:
BenjaminAlan wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
I guess he kinda owes his dad, what after stealing his name and all. Can you imagine naming your son after yourself, fully expecting he'd be called junior all his life and then you get this crap. No one inquires which Bill you're talking about when you refer to Bill Gates.
Not to mention all those lectures Bill gave to Bill while Bill was growing up about the importance of a good, long education, and how going to law school would be a good idea.... only to see Bill get into Harvard and then DROP OUT! Yea Bill totally owes Bill, no question.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Bill Gates, Sr., also used to be Bill Gates, Jr., his father was also Bill Gates. Apparently when Bill Gates III became famous, Bill Gates, Jr. changed his name to Bill Gates, Sr. to differentiate himself from his son. Or something like that.

judgemillslane77

New

Post by judgemillslane77 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:58 pm

jcl2 wrote:Bill Gates, Sr., also used to be Bill Gates, Jr., his father was also Bill Gates. Apparently when Bill Gates III became famous, Bill Gates, Jr. changed his name to Bill Gates, Sr. to differentiate himself from his son. Or something like that.
:shock: :?:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:54 pm

judgemillslane77 wrote:
jcl2 wrote:Bill Gates, Sr., also used to be Bill Gates, Jr., his father was also Bill Gates. Apparently when Bill Gates III became famous, Bill Gates, Jr. changed his name to Bill Gates, Sr. to differentiate himself from his son. Or something like that.
It is pretty weird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Gates,_Sr. I was actually wrong, the current Bill Gates, Sr. was the third Bill Gates. Bill Gates, the Microsoft founder, was the fourth. He did change his name to Sr. though, to differentiate himself from the Bill Gates we are all most familiar with.

pubintrst

New

Post by pubintrst » Sat May 09, 2009 10:00 am

jcl2 wrote:
judgemillslane77 wrote:
It is pretty weird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Gates,_Sr. I was actually wrong, the current Bill Gates, Sr. was the third Bill Gates. Bill Gates, the Microsoft founder, was the fourth. He did change his name to Sr. though, to differentiate himself from the Bill Gates we are all most familiar with.
Not sure why I'm so interested in all of this, but I did a bit of research as well. The above is accurate and regarding the law school building, it was Bill and Melinda who dropped the large chunk of change, $14 million or thereabouts. That was part of $34 million in donations that were being pursued from outside funders, not sure what the total cost was or how much the University itself ponied up.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:58 am

pubintrst wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
judgemillslane77 wrote:
Not sure why I'm so interested in all of this, but I did a bit of research as well. The above is accurate and regarding the law school building, it was Bill and Melinda who dropped the large chunk of change, $14 million or thereabouts. That was part of $34 million in donations that were being pursued from outside funders, not sure what the total cost was or how much the University itself ponied up.
I don't know why I care either. I think the total cost of the building was somewhere in the 60-70 million dollar range, and the state required half of the funds to be raised through private donations.

On another note, I can't wait to start school. Looks like it is probably still 16 months away though. :|

judgemillslane77

New

Post by judgemillslane77 » Mon May 11, 2009 12:00 pm

HuskyLaw,
If you are still trolling, I have sent you a PM, thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

madootz

New

Post by madootz » Wed May 13, 2009 11:01 pm

judgemillslane77

New

Post by judgemillslane77 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:24 pm

madootz wrote:Aaaaand we have a winner:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... wdean.html
what does everyone think?
seems ok to me...

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Sounds like she has done good things at SU. Hopefully she will do the same at UW. A 20 spot increase in the rankings over the next three years would be awesome :mrgreen:

BenjaminAlan

New

Post by BenjaminAlan » Thu May 14, 2009 9:29 pm

jcl2 wrote:Sounds like she has done good things at SU. Hopefully she will do the same at UW. A 20 spot increase in the rankings over the next three years would be awesome :mrgreen:
word on the street is they offered it to the G-town guy but he turned it down... something about his wife didn't want to live in seattle and he took a teaching position at yale instead.

my 1st reaction is: yea, he'd be my 1st choice too. plus, sucks to not get your 1st choice.

by 2nd reaction though its that I have to believe they wouldn't choose someone who wasn't up to snuff and so I think its great that they have somone now! also, if UW's history is any indicator of how these things work generally... seems like a lot of times you dont get your 1st choice cuz maybe those people aren't quite serious about it... as the last time their 1st choice turned them down as well....

no more excuses now that they have a dean! they need to get their admissions and financial aid etc. etc. etc. whipped into shape!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:25 pm

Just got notice that my request for a deferral was granted, so it looks like I will be waiting a year. I'm a little disappointing, but life will be a little less stressful this way. Having a baby, moving to Seattle with my wife pregnant and not having a job lined up, and starting law school seemed like a bit too much.

Good luck with your first year everyone! I'll see you all in 16 months.

judgemillslane77

New

Post by judgemillslane77 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:26 pm

good luck to you too jcl!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:33 pm

judgemillslane77 wrote:good luck to you too jcl!
So did you get off of the waitlist? If so, congrats!

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:24 am

It seems this thread has gone cold, but I'm curious as to who's getting a new laptop for UW and what type. Also, does anyone have any insights into childcare?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HuskyLaw

New

Post by HuskyLaw » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:08 am

newcritic wrote:It seems this thread has gone cold, but I'm curious as to who's getting a new laptop for UW and what type. Also, does anyone have any insights into childcare?
Newcritic: I hope this link helps; the deadline has theoretically passed, but I think you'll be ok if you get on it ASAP: http://www.washington.edu/students/osfa ... .care.html

Good luck!

judgemillslane77

New

Post by judgemillslane77 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:12 pm

how much is everyone looking at spending on rent each month?
what are everyone's ideas on roomates?

BenjaminAlan

New

Post by BenjaminAlan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:20 pm

newcritic wrote:It seems this thread has gone cold, but I'm curious as to who's getting a new laptop for UW and what type. Also, does anyone have any insights into childcare?

I plan on continuing to use my macbook through school. Its a year old at this point.

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:57 pm

judgemillslane77 wrote:how much is everyone looking at spending on rent each month?
what are everyone's ideas on roomates?
Just from taking the occasional glance at Craig's List, it seems there's 2 bedroom apartments available from 800-1200 (even more if you get into the 1400/1500s) in Ballard, Wedgewood, Ravenna, and other neighborhoods around the U.

Obviously I'll be living with my wife, but if there are folks out there with kids who want to share the cost of a nanny for child care, we'd be very interested. I heard there are folks who do this at the open house, and I read about it in one of those Seattle magazines.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”