University of Washington 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jcl2

Bronze

University of Washington 2012

Post by jcl2 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm 99.9% sure I'm going. Anyone else?

I'm going to wait to actually send in the seat deposit until I hear back about scholarships (not sure if it really matters), but I am going to withdraw my remaining applications and decline all other offers this week.

natelaw

New

Re: University of Washington 2012

Post by natelaw » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 am

Greetings,

I am in a similar situation. I'm 90% sure I will be attending. I am on a few waitlists that would be tempting, but I'm from the area, and at the moment its both the highest ranked and cheapest school I have been accepted to.

I did the Campus visit with a student ambassador. You should check it out if you have not yet. I sat in a criminal procedures class and got a tour from a 2L. He was really cool, really laid back. Answered tons of questions for me. I'm starting to get excited for the Fall :)

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:51 am

Seattle is amazing. Congrats to all!

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:57 pm

natelaw wrote:Greetings,

I am in a similar situation. I'm 90% sure I will be attending. I am on a few waitlists that would be tempting, but I'm from the area, and at the moment its both the highest ranked and cheapest school I have been accepted to.

I did the Campus visit with a student ambassador. You should check it out if you have not yet. I sat in a criminal procedures class and got a tour from a 2L. He was really cool, really laid back. Answered tons of questions for me. I'm starting to get excited for the Fall :)
Congrats!
I visited on my own about a month ago and was really impressed; I have lived in Washington for 11 years and have somehow never been to the UW campus, it is really cool and in a great part of the city. I am hoping to get over there to do an official visit and sit in on a class soon. I also think I am going to try to attend one of the events in April.

I am starting to get pretty excited as well. My wife is starting to look for jobs in Seattle, and we'll be moving over there as soon as she finds one.

kalydscopeeyes

New

Post by kalydscopeeyes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:36 pm

I am 90% sure I'll end up there too... it is also the highest ranked and cheapest school I have been accepted to. My boyfriend is excited to move up there with me, hopefully he can find a job :) One of my best friends is in Seattle, too!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm accepted--undecided though. Waiting to hear about $$--has anyone heard anything yet?

I currently live in Seattle, so I might be able to answer questions people have about the city. :)

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:10 pm

tralinds wrote:I'm accepted--undecided though. Waiting to hear about $$--has anyone heard anything yet?

I currently live in Seattle, so I might be able to answer questions people have about the city. :)
Congrats! I haven't heard anything about money yet either. I was in the first batch of acceptances and was really prompt with returning the scholarship application, so I am hoping I will hear relatively soon.

natelaw

New

Post by natelaw » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:06 pm

tralinds wrote:I'm accepted--undecided though. Waiting to hear about $$--has anyone heard anything yet?

I filled out the scholarship application form and wrote the 500 word essay. My understanding is that the scholarships are primarily need based. But I also found out from the financial aid office that if you have need and are a washington state resident it is not unusual to get a 5000-8000$ tuition exemption. With tuition being 20k, it gets cheap pretty fast if you get any help at all.

Im just hoping to borrow 15ish per year.

newcritic

New

Post by newcritic » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:17 am

Like most everyone here, I am also 90% sure of going to UW. I am dithering a bit because I haven't heard back from financial aid yet, and because no matter how much we love Seattle, I need to work in Oregon after graduating. I have to figure, though, that UW will cast a shadow sufficient to do summer work/get a job in the Oregon I5 corridor. Right? :)

By the bye, how awesome would an 8K tuition exemption be?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:11 pm

natelaw wrote:

I filled out the scholarship application form and wrote the 500 word essay. My understanding is that the scholarships are primarily need based. But I also found out from the financial aid office that if you have need and are a washington state resident it is not unusual to get a 5000-8000$ tuition exemption. With tuition being 20k, it gets cheap pretty fast if you get any help at all.

Im just hoping to borrow 15ish per year.
I hope you are right, even $5000 would be awesome.

natelaw

New

Post by natelaw » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:20 am

Anyone going to the open house for admitted students on Thursday, April 2? I probably will be attending.

Anyone get any Scholarships yet?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:39 am

natelaw wrote:Anyone going to the open house for admitted students on Thursday, April 2? I probably will be attending.

Anyone get any Scholarships yet?
Someone on a URM thread, which I found by searching for "Washington" not because I am anything close to a URM, claimed to have gotten a scholarship offer with their acceptance. That doesn't fit with the way UW seems to operate, but maybe it is different for URMs, I could definitely see the law school having a shortage of African Americans given that they make up a very small percentage of the general population in the NW.

For the rest of us, hopefully we'll hear soon. I was thinking about calling to make sure they received everything they need from me and to see if I can get an estimate on when I might hear some news about scholarships/financial aid.

I am not sure if I will be able to make the admitted students thing on April 2nd, I would like to, but I'm not sure if I can take the time off of work. I'll definitely be going to the one later in the month that is on a Saturday.

natelaw

New

Post by natelaw » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:30 pm

If you do call them, please post what ever you find out.

I was thinking about it, and I doubt they will send a notice if do NOT get a scholarship, but I would like to know.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tylerwin

New

Post by tylerwin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:44 pm

I'd say there's a 50% chance I'll be headed to Seattle this fall. For all you washington people, where are you guys from? any moses lakers out there? ps. i'm headed to the sasquatch music festival at the gorge next month!! just thought i'd throw that out there... but I don't think I'll be able to make it to the open house on april 2. I can only afford so many road trips right now, and i'm currently living several states away...

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:01 pm

tylerwin wrote:I'd say there's a 50% chance I'll be headed to Seattle this fall. For all you washington people, where are you guys from? any moses lakers out there? ps. i'm headed to the sasquatch music festival at the gorge next month!! just thought i'd throw that out there... but I don't think I'll be able to make it to the open house on april 2. I can only afford so many road trips right now, and i'm currently living several states away...
Not Moses Lake, but central Washington (Ellensburg). I heard Gogol Bordello will be at sasquatch this year, check them out if you haven't seem/heard them.

BenjaminAlan

New

Post by BenjaminAlan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:51 pm

I have been told by the UW that they have made some offers of scholarships already (that was as of last week). My guess is that they have made most of their scholarship offers by now but not all of them.

I am certainly hoping for something. But I have no idea how I match up in the financial need category... lets face it, we're all going to be poor law students so who gets their need met?

I am going to walk in there and ask them face to face because my decision to attend is dependent upon getting SOMETHING, even if its only $5000 at year that would be at least someting, although $8,000 would be better! Anyway I'm goign to outline my situation to them in person, mention that my reason is that I have gotten very significant scholarships to other schools and can't justify the cost of uw without some assistance. and then I'm going to ask them for some frankness because I dont want to wait and wait and wait and then say to myself "well, I haven't heard so I guess I didn't get any money." I'm going to be direct and hope that they give me a hint as to my chances or as to a date when, after that date if I haven't gotten anything then I likely wont. if that makes sense.

you get tired of waiting..... it was months ago that I got into my second choice school, UW being the first, with a $20,000 a year scholarship. UW is awesome, but if its going to be a lot more expensive and its not going to get back to me....then I gotta move on at some point.

I am a WA resident by the way.

KenGriffeyJr.

New

Post by KenGriffeyJr. » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:02 pm

BenjaminAlan wrote:I have been told by the UW that they have made some offers of scholarships already (that was as of last week). My guess is that they have made most of their scholarship offers by now but not all of them.

I am certainly hoping for something. But I have no idea how I match up in the financial need category... lets face it, we're all going to be poor law students so who gets their need met?

I am going to walk in there and ask them face to face because my decision to attend is dependent upon getting SOMETHING, even if its only $5000 at year that would be at least someting, although $8,000 would be better! Anyway I'm goign to outline my situation to them in person, mention that my reason is that I have gotten very significant scholarships to other schools and can't justify the cost of uw without some assistance. and then I'm going to ask them for some frankness because I dont want to wait and wait and wait and then say to myself "well, I haven't heard so I guess I didn't get any money." I'm going to be direct and hope that they give me a hint as to my chances or as to a date when, after that date if I haven't gotten anything then I likely wont. if that makes sense.

you get tired of waiting..... it was months ago that I got into my second choice school, UW being the first, with a $20,000 a year scholarship. UW is awesome, but if its going to be a lot more expensive and its not going to get back to me....then I gotta move on at some point.

I am a WA resident by the way.
You sound like a pain in the ass.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BenjaminAlan

New

Post by BenjaminAlan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:53 pm

HAHAHA.. pain in the ass huh??

well yea I will have to play this by ear. my point is only that 1) obviously cost is a factor, is is for everyone. 2) when you have diff. deadlines for diff. schools its a nice courtesy to have them give you a firm answer one way or another--not just on getting admitted, but on scholarships as well. and 3) it never hurts to ask, and its always better in person.

I have been told by a handul of people with experience that as long as you are cordial it never hurts. and I am just aware that since scholarships are for incentive, the more the financial aid and admissions staff know about your chances of attending and what it would take for you to attend the better.

I'm not planning on kicking the door down and giving an ultimatum. but I will try and be direct, because there's nothing wrong with that. I was just outlining the points I would try to communicate and not the way that I would communicate them.

but thanks for the thoughtful insight. joking.

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:08 am

I just got accepted and want to attend because I am in love with Seattle and the Pacific Northwest even though I have never been there...but everything I have heard abt the Seattle legal market seems to be telling me to not go to UW because it will be next to impossible to find a job there.

tralinds

New

Post by tralinds » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:24 am

tvaddicted wrote:I just got accepted and want to attend because I am in love with Seattle and the Pacific Northwest even though I have never been there...but everything I have heard abt the Seattle legal market seems to be telling me to not go to UW because it will be next to impossible to find a job there.
How can you be in love with Seattle/the NW if you have never been here?
It's really not that great. It's cloudy all the time, and people are unfriendly. Traffic is bad, public transportation sucks.

tvaddicted

Bronze

Post by tvaddicted » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:47 am

tralinds wrote:
tvaddicted wrote:I just got accepted and want to attend because I am in love with Seattle and the Pacific Northwest even though I have never been there...but everything I have heard abt the Seattle legal market seems to be telling me to not go to UW because it will be next to impossible to find a job there.
How can you be in love with Seattle/the NW if you have never been here?
It's really not that great. It's cloudy all the time, and people are unfriendly. Traffic is bad, public transportation sucks.
I am weird, I like cloudy weather. I think I might romanticize Seattle a bit (ok, maybe a lot), but I like it because of the temperate weather, the younger crowd it attracts, its liberal and educated population, and it natural beauty. I am used to horrible traffic. I live close to Houston.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wanderingpie

New

Post by wanderingpie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:09 pm

I know it is early in the game to be planning for housing, but it doesn't hurt to try. I'm 99% sure I will be attending UW and want to start hearing about where is most livable in Seattle. Vitals (as far as housing goes):

Male/25
I would like to be close to a bar or two, but I don't need (or want) to be in party central/a student ghetto
I have a dog, so a house with fenced yard is preferred
I despise long and complex commutes, and want to either be close to campus OR to a direct bus route. I'm okay with a 30-40 minute bus ride, so long as I am not sitting in the wonderful NW rain waiting for a transfer every day

Any Seattle veterans want to help out and point me in the right direction (neighborhoods/etc.)?
Any other UW prospects already thinking of housing/looking for roommates/want to pool resources?

And:
Is anyone else attending the Clinic open house this Thursday (4/2)?

HuskyLaw

New

Post by HuskyLaw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Hello!

Congrats on considering/being admitted into UW Law's Class of 2012!

I'm currently a 1L at UWLS, and would be happy to give my take on any questions you might have about the school, the JD program, classes, admissions, etc.

Feel free to post a question, and I'll try my best to get back to you in a timely manner!

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:49 pm

tvaddicted wrote:
tralinds wrote:
It's cloudy all the time, and people are unfriendly. Traffic is bad, public transportation sucks.
I am weird, I like cloudy weather. I think I might romanticize Seattle a bit (ok, maybe a lot), but I like it because of the temperate weather, the younger crowd it attracts, its liberal and educated population, and it natural beauty. I am used to horrible traffic. I live close to Houston.
Traffic is not that bad IN Seattle. Just don't live on the East Side.

Seattle is the best place EVAR.

What is making you pessimistic about the Seattle legal market? I'm not going to be in the PNW for school but want to move back there eventually.

kt3811

New

Post by kt3811 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:09 pm

HuskyLaw wrote:Hello!

Congrats on considering/being admitted into UW Law's Class of 2012!

I'm currently a 1L at UWLS, and would be happy to give my take on any questions you might have about the school, the JD program, classes, admissions, etc.

Feel free to post a question, and I'll try my best to get back to you in a timely manner!

Thanks for taking the time to help us out - I was wondering if you knew anything about the ConTorts program? Also, what is the likelihood that I will be able to find a one-bedroom apartment within walking distance(10-20 minutes) of the law school?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”