UC Davis 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
cantstop

New

Re: UC Davis 2012

Post by cantstop » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am

DCDeckard wrote:Financial Aid Question. I'm an independent but do I still need my parents info for NeedAccess assuming I'm under 30, not a veteran, etc. etc. even though I've been working and claiming independent status for over two years? I feel like if I'm going to be paying for law school myself, their asking for my parents' info is just a rationale for giving me less aid.
I haven't been on my parents taxes for 8 years for my father and 3 years for my mother (due to a divorce in the case of my dad). I called pretty much every financial aid office at all of the schools to which I applied that required the Need Access. Pretty much across the board, they said that even though my parents wouldn't be contributing to my legal education at all, if I was under 30 it was still necessary to determine my eligibility for grants. They all said that I was welcome not to include my parents' information, but if I chose to do that, I wouldn't be eligible for most of the grants they were offering.

My guess is that they use your parents' financial information to sort of roundabout determine your socio-economic status. AKA parents who are making very little indicate that most likely you grew up with fewer advantages than someone whose parents are making more. As someone who wasn't awarded any grants (most likely because my disabled father sold his house and actually turned a profit last year), I'm a little upset that if I had waited until 30 to attend law school, my parents' financial stability wouldn't have affected the amount of debt I'll have upon graduation.

In other words, I feel your pain, but from what I gathered in February, you're kind of stuck.

jenbren

New

Post by jenbren » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:58 am

Anyone else attending the accepted students reception at MoFo in SF tonight?

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:04 pm

jenbren wrote:Anyone else attending the accepted students reception at MoFo in SF tonight?
I'm like 80% sure that I'll be going.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:06 pm

cantstop wrote:
DCDeckard wrote:Financial Aid Question. I'm an independent but do I still need my parents info for NeedAccess assuming I'm under 30, not a veteran, etc. etc. even though I've been working and claiming independent status for over two years? I feel like if I'm going to be paying for law school myself, their asking for my parents' info is just a rationale for giving me less aid.
I haven't been on my parents taxes for 8 years for my father and 3 years for my mother (due to a divorce in the case of my dad). I called pretty much every financial aid office at all of the schools to which I applied that required the Need Access. Pretty much across the board, they said that even though my parents wouldn't be contributing to my legal education at all, if I was under 30 it was still necessary to determine my eligibility for grants. They all said that I was welcome not to include my parents' information, but if I chose to do that, I wouldn't be eligible for most of the grants they were offering.

My guess is that they use your parents' financial information to sort of roundabout determine your socio-economic status. AKA parents who are making very little indicate that most likely you grew up with fewer advantages than someone whose parents are making more. As someone who wasn't awarded any grants (most likely because my disabled father sold his house and actually turned a profit last year), I'm a little upset that if I had waited until 30 to attend law school, my parents' financial stability wouldn't have affected the amount of debt I'll have upon graduation.

In other words, I feel your pain, but from what I gathered in February, you're kind of stuck.
American says they want it regardless of how old you are - um, I've been out for well over a decade, don't talk to them much, couldn't rightly ask for the info if I wanted to...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
jenbren wrote:Anyone else attending the accepted students reception at MoFo in SF tonight?
Do let me know how it goes, and also keep me clued in regarding the general attractiveness of the potential student body :D . I would love to be there but am, at present, stuck in New Mexico (5 more weeks. 5 more weeks. 5 more weeks.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:56 am

I know I'm a bit late to this conversation, but....

35!!!

Tied with 4 other schools, one slot below the law schools that has repeatedly broken my heart.

Very satisfying.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:
Do let me know how it goes, and also keep me clued in regarding the general attractiveness of the potential student body :D . I would love to be there but am, at present, stuck in New Mexico (5 more weeks. 5 more weeks. 5 more weeks.)
There were a couple girls there that were very good looking, but there was a pretty steep drop-off after that. How's that relationship you got there going SBL? :P The people I was able to talk to were really chill, down-to-earth, etc. I wasn't all that social through the middle part of the reception because I started to feel a bit off, so I didn't have time to talk to everyone, but I did meet a lot of alumni who were doing really cool things and the prospectives all seemed like really nice people.

Jenbren, which one were you? I didn't see anyone with Jen or Bren in their name. I was the tall one with glasses, vertically striped shirt, went to Davis ug, drinking water and avoiding the food trays up until the very end.

LuckyDucky

New

Post by LuckyDucky » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:20 pm

...just discovered this thread. I was at MoFo last night. I was the girl who decided to yell out an explanation when my Uncle's name was picked for the raffle. I realized later that none of the other winners felt the need to say anything. What can I say? I'm easily excitable?
Anyway, I'm stoked about Davis. Particularly bc of the US News Rankings. I know the Hastings/Davis debate is silly but I still enjoy the affirmation these most recent rankings brought.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:34 pm

You coming up probably required an explanation though, since you were claiming the prize when a man's name was called. I still think the whole thing was a bit sketchy....what were the prizes anyway?

Oh, also, something I forgot to mention, I was talking to a couple people who worked at MoFo that were there, and they all did really well at Davis. One of them was first in his class, and it seemed to be the consenus that you needed to be top 15-20% to get a job there out of Davis.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jenbren

New

Post by jenbren » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:59 pm

I was the short blonde with my hair pulled back, teal shirt, work in SF, hopefully not part of the pretty steep drop-off...

I remember you. When I arrived it was just you and a few others.

The event was really nice. I was particularly impressed by the professor that attended with his baby. He commutes from SF and says it works just fine for him. He takes the Capital Corridor train. I plan to do the same. It sounds much nicer than my current daily BART commute nightmare.

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Anyone know what the situation is currently for on-campus housing? I filled out the waitlist form for the Orchard Park apartments and am wondering what I can expect.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:48 pm

jenbren wrote:I was the short blonde with my hair pulled back, teal shirt, work in SF, hopefully not part of the pretty steep drop-off...

I remember you. When I arrived it was just you and a few others.

The event was really nice. I was particularly impressed by the professor that attended with his baby. He commutes from SF and says it works just fine for him. He takes the Capital Corridor train. I plan to do the same. It sounds much nicer than my current daily BART commute nightmare.
I honestly have no recollection of you :( . Did we meet or did you just see me? I'm sure if I met you again I'd be able to place you there, but right now I just can't get a mental picture.

The professor with the baby was very cool, but his commute sounded horrendous. 2.5 hours each way, and he transferred from BART to the train at the richmond station. Very sketchy.

I imagine you'd drive out to the Martinez station and catch the train there though, or something like that? That'd probably be much more efficient/safe than his route.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:52 pm

DCDeckard wrote:Anyone know what the situation is currently for on-campus housing? I filled out the waitlist form for the Orchard Park apartments and am wondering what I can expect.
Those places are very hard to get into if you're not married and have kids. Not to be a downer, but assuming this doesn't apply to you (and if it does, that would've been critical information to include) expect to be looking for housing on your own.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:24 pm

DCDeckard wrote:Anyone know what the situation is currently for on-campus housing? I filled out the waitlist form for the Orchard Park apartments and am wondering what I can expect.
Super cheap (690 for 2 bedroom with cable, water, and DSL included) very hard to get into without kids. However, if you put your name on the list to move in during May or June you will have a much better shot as not many people are moving in then. you might lose a little money by having to pay an extra month's rent, but compared to the general rate at around 1200 for a 2 bedroom, it would be well worth it (not to mention that it's right across the street from the law school).

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:34 pm

oopivyoo wrote:
Super cheap (690 for 2 bedroom with cable, water, and DSL included) very hard to get into without kids. However, if you put your name on the list to move in during May or June you will have a much better shot as not many people are moving in then. you might lose a little money by having to pay an extra month's rent, but compared to the general rate at around 1200 for a 2 bedroom, it would be well worth it (not to mention that it's right across the street from the law school).
These are not right across the street from the law school. Granted, they're closer than most housing, but they're a healthy 10-15 minute walk from the law school building. They're also about $750 a month, though that's still significantly cheaper than market so that's kind of a insignificant detail.

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
oopivyoo wrote:
These are not right across the street from the law school. Granted, they're closer than most housing, but they're a healthy 10-15 minute walk from the law school building. They're also about $750 a month, though that's still significantly cheaper than market so that's kind of a insignificant detail.
You don't really apply to "orchard park" you apply to on campus housing which includes Solono Park (which is much closer than Orchard). Orchard Park is a little more expensive but they are exactly the same as Solano (which go for $690)... well minus the damn train. These aren't literally "right across the street from the law school" (unless of course your talking about Old Davis road which, in that case, technically they are right across the street) but I can walk there in 5 minutes and bike there in 2. --LinkRemoved-- (brown buildings on the right is Solano Park apartments)

glacierfrost

Bronze

Post by glacierfrost » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:35 pm

For those who want to know more information about Davis housing or Davis in general, I highly recommend checking out the "Davis Wiki" which is a comprehensive guide to a lot of stuff in Davis such as restaurants, bars, recreation, housing, etc.

http://daviswiki.org/

As for the cockroaches, I'd agree that it matters on how clean your house is, but it also definitely matters where you live. Some apartment complexes are just older and shittier than others. My current townhouse is VERY nice, haven't seen a cockroach all year. But its infested with those damn silverfish bugs!

Also, I would say based on my UG experience at Davis that the girls here are pretty fucking good. Some of them can be nail bitingly hot while others are just cute but also kinda hot at the same time. Its even better in the summer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 am

[quote="Splitt3r"]
Oh, also, something I forgot to mention, I was talking to a couple people who worked at MoFo that were there, and they all did really well at Davis. One of them was first in his class, and it seemed to be the consenus that you needed to be top 15-20% to get a job there out of Davis.[/quote]

Well, then our work is cut out for us my friend! 8)

LuckyDucky

New

Post by LuckyDucky » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Could we limit the hot girl talk, please? If we're going to talk about the attractiveness of the student body, let's talk about both genders. It's mildly offensive, particularly comments like, "There were a couple girls there that were very good looking, but there was a pretty steep drop-off after that."

Sorry to be Debbie-Downer here I just feel it's a slippery-slope to discussions of breast sizes and derrieres...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:11 pm

LuckyDucky wrote:Could we limit the hot girl talk, please? If we're going to talk about the attractiveness of the student body, let's talk about both genders. It's mildly offensive, particularly comments like, "There were a couple girls there that were very good looking, but there was a pretty steep drop-off after that."

Sorry to be Debbie-Downer here I just feel it's a slippery-slope to discussions of breast sizes and derrieres...
I mean it's pretty natural to take a gander at the people you're about to be surrounded by for 3 years.

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:15 pm

fyi, men love to talk about breast sizes and derrieres

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LuckyDucky

New

Post by LuckyDucky » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Well in that case, carry on!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 pm

I have no problem with making our superficial discussion equal-opportunity, though. Ladies, feel free to discuss which male members of the King Hall Class of 2012 had the nicest muscles or whatever.

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:16 pm

my muscles looked extraordinary. there were some fine ladies there too. how's that for balance?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:17 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:I have no problem with making our superficial discussion equal-opportunity, though. Ladies, feel free to discuss which male members of the King Hall Class of 2012 had the nicest muscles or whatever.
I say as long as everyone plays nice and sticks to positives rather than negatives, I will gladly support any conversation about the attractiveness of our soon-to-be three-year social circle. Although, I figure we might want to wait until the whole class converges before deciding the overall attractiveness quality of the class. Further, I would hate for anyone to be singled out, even if it is only in positives on here. I think its a slippery slope to hurt feelings and reputations we may not want to build for ourselves so early on. (EDIT) Because let's face it, this thing is far less anonymous than we think it is. (/EDIT) Just my two cents.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”