UC Davis 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)

Diamond

Re: UC Davis 2012

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:29 pm

lanvengrey wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:How do you set up the UCD email address?
I think you go here: https://computingaccounts.ucdavis.edu/c ... school=law .

Is anyone thinking of living on campus? Or is this literally impossible?
I get the sense that's not a popular choice for law students. Dorms at UCD are pretty pricey compared to local rentals.

lanvengrey

New

Post by lanvengrey » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:32 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
lanvengrey wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:How do you set up the UCD email address?
I think you go here: https://computingaccounts.ucdavis.edu/c ... school=law .

Is anyone thinking of living on campus? Or is this literally impossible?
I get the sense that's not a popular choice for law students. Dorms at UCD are pretty pricey compared to local rentals.
Hm.. true. But I'm sort of thinking of not bringing a car... I heard the public transportation in Davis is impressive and I would love to bike around town. But this sort of rules out anything that's too far. Are you planning on driving to school?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:05 am

My apartment is ~5 miles from campus, so I will be buying a parking permit. While I will more than likely make the 5-mile bike ride each day, I think that having the option of just driving on rainy days or lazy days will be nice.

Bsoo

New

Post by Bsoo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:08 am

Just for reference- the dorms for grad students are actually not too bad (coworker lived there with husband). However, the dorms are on the far opposite end of campus (the closer Tercero dorms are only for undergrads- unless things have changed since I was an RA). But anywhere in Davis is bike-able/navigable by bus. I didn't have a car until my last year there- and then I only used it maybe once a month.

lanvengrey

New

Post by lanvengrey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:26 am

Bsoo wrote:Just for reference- the dorms for grad students are actually not too bad (coworker lived there with husband). However, the dorms are on the far opposite end of campus (the closer Tercero dorms are only for undergrads- unless things have changed since I was an RA). But anywhere in Davis is bike-able/navigable by bus. I didn't have a car until my last year there- and then I only used it maybe once a month.
What is the graduate housing called? I love the dorm food at Davis! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:57 pm

lanvengrey wrote:
Bsoo wrote:Just for reference- the dorms for grad students are actually not too bad (coworker lived there with husband). However, the dorms are on the far opposite end of campus (the closer Tercero dorms are only for undergrads- unless things have changed since I was an RA). But anywhere in Davis is bike-able/navigable by bus. I didn't have a car until my last year there- and then I only used it maybe once a month.
There really isn't "graduate housing" as the campus-run housing is for undergrads and grads alike. Those are called Solano Park and Orchard park apartments. Also, the Dorms are only available to freshman in the undergraduate school. The rest of the housing on campus is like any other apartment with the exception that you live on campus rather than in town (it's privately ran, no dorm cafeteria, you have your own kitchen and room, etc.). Also, there are lots of law students that live on campus. The campus ran housing is way cheaper than anything you can find out in town (700 for a 2 bedroom, 675 for a one bedroom including water, cable, and DSL) and the other apartments are set at ruffly the same price as the in-town apartments. It's pretty late to get anything on campus though because those ones generally fill up first. Also, Solano Park apartments (one of the campus ran ones) is not on the other side of the campus but right down the street from the law school (about a 2 minute bike ride at most).

lanvengrey

New

Post by lanvengrey » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:42 am

oopivyoo wrote:
lanvengrey wrote:
There really isn't "graduate housing" as the campus-run housing is for undergrads and grads alike. Those are called Solano Park and Orchard park apartments. Also, the Dorms are only available to freshman in the undergraduate school. The rest of the housing on campus is like any other apartment with the exception that you live on campus rather than in town (it's privately ran, no dorm cafeteria, you have your own kitchen and room, etc.). Also, there are lots of law students that live on campus. The campus ran housing is way cheaper than anything you can find out in town (700 for a 2 bedroom, 675 for a one bedroom including water, cable, and DSL) and the other apartments are set at ruffly the same price as the in-town apartments. It's pretty late to get anything on campus though because those ones generally fill up first. Also, Solano Park apartments (one of the campus ran ones) is not on the other side of the campus but right down the street from the law school (about a 2 minute bike ride at most).
Oh so the Colleges at LaRue wouldn't be available to me? :/

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Yes, you could live in those, they are just apartments. I know at least 3 law students living there now.

OhJoy

New

Post by OhJoy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Hey Everyone! I am still looking for someone to sublease my apartment at Adobe at Evergreen in Davis. I got in off of the waitlist at another school and will no longer be attending UC Davis Law.

You must be a female. $665-month + $25 parking + utilities. If you take it off of my hands, I will pay for the $210 security deposit. PM me if you are interested!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

idrivean8

New

Post by idrivean8 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Man, if only that listing wasn't limited to females.

OhJoy

New

Post by OhJoy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:55 pm

idrivean8 wrote:Man, if only that listing wasn't limited to females.

I know...it's really annoying! I just don't want this apartment anymore

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 pm

First of all, BUMP!

Secondly, does anyone know when we need to have our UG institutions send UCD transcripts by?

SadButTrue

New

Post by SadButTrue » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:19 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:First of all, BUMP!

Secondly, does anyone know when we need to have our UG institutions send UCD transcripts by?
actually i think it might be the first... Now I'm pretty sure it is.
https://www.law.ucdavis.edu/AdmittedStu ... t-2009.pdf
page 6

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:24 am

SadButTrue wrote:

page 6
Oh shit. Hopefully that's a postmark deadline. I haven't done that yet. I better call them tomorrow.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:26 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
SadButTrue wrote:

page 6
Oh shit. Hopefully that's a postmark deadline. I haven't done that yet. I better call them tomorrow.
Wait nevermind, it says the transcripts provided with my LSDAS report are official, so I don't think I have to do anything since I applied with my degree granted transcript (I graduated in 07)

denise77m

New

Post by denise77m » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:59 pm

hey did i misread something on the admitted students website when they say we don't get our reading assignments until wednesday of orientation week? is it me, or does that not really give us that much time?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:56 am

denise77m wrote:hey did i misread something on the admitted students website when they say we don't get our reading assignments until wednesday of orientation week? is it me, or does that not really give us that much time?
Do you mean the reading assignment for Intro Week? They list the book in the mailing and there is a link to purchase it on the ASW.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:30 pm

SBL, call davis to make sure, they are pretty understanding, i seem to remember them telling me that I needed to send an official (i also graduated before the LSDAS report was sent, so no need for new grades).

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:41 pm

eth3n wrote:SBL, call davis to make sure, they are pretty understanding, i seem to remember them telling me that I needed to send an official (i also graduated before the LSDAS report was sent, so no need for new grades).
I called just now, and you were right. I am quite frustrated. Why would they point out in bold THE TRANSCRIPTS PROVIDED
WITH YOUR LSDAS REPORT ARE
OFFICIAL!
if that isn't the case. Anyhow, I rush-ordered them one today, and the lady on the phone said that I would be fine as long as that gets taken care of, but I really hope my registration doesn't get blocked or anything. :evil:

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:49 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
eth3n wrote:SBL, call davis to make sure, they are pretty understanding, i seem to remember them telling me that I needed to send an official (i also graduated before the LSDAS report was sent, so no need for new grades).
I called just now, and you were right. I am quite frustrated. Why would they point out in bold THE TRANSCRIPTS PROVIDED
WITH YOUR LSDAS REPORT ARE
OFFICIAL!
if that isn't the case. Anyhow, I rush-ordered them one today, and the lady on the phone said that I would be fine as long as that gets taken care of, but I really hope my registration doesn't get blocked or anything. :evil:
Looks like I'll be OK. I got an email back almost right away saying:
Mr. SBL,

The error was ours. One little word “NOT” was left out of that sentence and has probably confused a lot of students. We apologize to you and thank you for requesting the official transcript. You can check the status check website to find out when it arrives in our office.
I am assuming that this confused some other people as well. Or maybe I'm the dumbest guy in the Class of 2012. Either way, it doesn't look like I'm getting my registration blocked, so all is well.

articulably suspect

Bronze

Post by articulably suspect » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm hoping for davis fall 2010. Just took my first cold test and got mid140s, so I'm a little bumbed. I had been moving the past three days and was tired which made it extremely difficult for me to focus. I seriously had to reread the pasages and potential answers several times, it was ridiculously frustrating. My GPA is 3.3, so I probably need mid/upper 160s. I'm taking a powerscore course and my instrtuctor said to not even worry about the cold test. I'm looking to stay in N. CA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:53 pm

And one last email, and the saga is complete:
Yes, you will be able to start school on time.
It looks like I'm golden. Talk about a panic moment.

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:44 pm

glad it worked out, see you next week ;p

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:57 pm

eth3n wrote:glad it worked out, see you next week ;p
Yeah definitely man. Hey, if you're already in town PM me if you want to hang out before then. I am going to be in Berkeley this weekend and have a few things to do between now and then, but plenty of free time.

(This goes for anyone who posts in this thread, of course. I'm looking forward to meeting people).

Unrelated side-question: Is anyone actually reading that intro week book? I got about 40 pages in, and it's not the most fascinating thing I've ever read. I'll probably slug it out, just because I don't want to blow off my first ever assignment at King Hall, but I'm not thrilled about it.

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:01 am

rofl nothing else to do until that financial aid money comes in >_<"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”