UC Davis 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
cantstop

New

Re: UC Davis 2012

Post by cantstop » Fri May 22, 2009 12:52 pm

jibstir13 wrote:In Davis till Saturday...does anyone know where the student store is?..Does the law school have a separate store or is everything in the main store?
You should check on the law school website for location, but when I went to the bookstore website awhile ago I did note that the law school appears to have its own satellite store that includes King Hall sweatshirts, bumper stickers, etc. The hours seemed fairly limited (i.e. M-F 10-4 or something), and unfortunately the main bookstore appeared to not include any of the schwag mentioned above. Hope this helps somewhat.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:28 pm

I bought a UCD hoodie on Amazon.com the other day, but I cannot seem to find any King Hall swag on the internets. Anyone know where you can buy a shirt? Is this possible?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Fri May 22, 2009 2:32 pm

SILO BOOKSTORE
Silo Union Complex
(530) 752-2961
lawbooksales@ucdavis.edu

It's hours are M-F 8-4, but it's closed next Monday for Memorial Day.

Location: "The Silo Law Bookstore is located on Hutchinson Drive in the Silo Complex on the UC Davis campus. There are 45-minute parking meters available in Parking Lot 43 next to the Silo." --http://bookstore.ucdavis.edu/stores/Silo.cfm

Perhaps you can call/e-mail and ask... :-)

notme

New

Post by notme » Fri May 22, 2009 3:50 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will look for the hoodie on Amazon. Question. Does Davis not give scholarships, and if it does, where does the money come from? I don't mean the ones you are required to specifically apply for, but the ones they give to entice you to attend. (Is there a name for that?) Davis is my top choice, but one of the few schools that have offered no financial incentive.

oopivyoo

New

Post by oopivyoo » Sat May 23, 2009 1:52 am

notme wrote:Thanks for the tip. I will look for the hoodie on Amazon. Question. Does Davis not give scholarships, and if it does, where does the money come from? I don't mean the ones you are required to specifically apply for, but the ones they give to entice you to attend. (Is there a name for that?) Davis is my top choice, but one of the few schools that have offered no financial incentive.
It doesn't seem like Davis gives out a bunch of "scholarships," but they do give out tons of grants. I know people who got in by the skin of their teeth and are getting 15k a year in grants (you don't have to pay these back) just because of their financial needs. The money comes from the UC system and from the school. The Silo book store has hooded sweatshirts that say "UC Davis School of Law" but be warned, if you buy one you will look like 50% of the school on any given winter day. They also have a nice selection of hats, shirts, office supplies, coffee stuff, and personal accessories (key chains, license plates, etc.) with the school name engraved or painted on them. You probably won't be able to find these online, but I could be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:14 pm

I just got my financial aid award. What is Law Loan LW? Is that federal loans or private?

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:22 pm

Also, will it be possible after 1L to receive grants? My parents are in the highest tax bracket, but they aren't helping me with school. My dad wouldn't fill out the need access form this year, but I don't think I would have gotten anything if he did. I would like to be considered based on my own finances, though I am sure everyone would.

notme

New

Post by notme » Tue May 26, 2009 11:39 am

Thanks for the information on the shirts, etc. As for the question re "Law Loan," I'm fairly certain that this is just their way of saying a private loan, as with any other school. As for grants, I don't know if they are available to a 2L. I assume some of the privately funded scholarships will apply to 2Ls. I called the financial aid office and they said it was too late to apply for any of the need based money this year, even if you would otherwise qualify.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Tue May 26, 2009 3:36 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:Also, will it be possible after 1L to receive grants? My parents are in the highest tax bracket, but they aren't helping me with school. My dad wouldn't fill out the need access form this year, but I don't think I would have gotten anything if he did. I would like to be considered based on my own finances, though I am sure everyone would.
Yeah, I think your best bet is to give financial aid a call. I've called once about my own situation (which is similar- my parents made money last year for various reasons but I sure as hell will not be seeing any of that, at all), and they have been pretty good about answering my questions. There are scholarships available in 2L and 3L way more than to us as 1Ls.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bsoo

New

Post by Bsoo » Sat May 30, 2009 11:14 pm

Just withdrew- tried not to cry. I'm sorry for taking this long to back-out, but we had to wait on a final email we just received on Thursday about husband's job. So someone on the waitlist is going to hopefully have a good week!!!

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Is it me or did the UC Davis law website somehow remove the Admitted Students Login on their J.D. Admissions page?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:19 pm

cantstop wrote:Is it me or did the UC Davis law website somehow remove the Admitted Students Login on their J.D. Admissions page?
Here: https://www.law.ucdavis.edu/AdmittedStudents/login.aspx

notme

New

Post by notme » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:20 pm

I really want to go to Davis, and like I've said before, I plan on practicing in CA, but Minnesota just offered $25k per year and Davis nothing. Is it worth staying the course?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:26 pm

notme wrote:I really want to go to Davis, and like I've said before, I plan on practicing in CA, but Minnesota just offered $25k per year and Davis nothing. Is it worth staying the course?
Personally, I might try to use the offer from Minn. as leverage with Davis to see if Davis might offer you a little money. Try not to mention that you want to practice in CA, etc. and see if they can make Davis a little more monetarily on par with Minn. Even if it doesn't work, it is worth trying. Its not like Davis can un-accept you or anything, and the worst Davis can say is no. If that's the case, you have a very difficult decision to make, I think.

Smoyf

New

Post by Smoyf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:04 pm

notme wrote:I really want to go to Davis, and like I've said before, I plan on practicing in CA, but Minnesota just offered $25k per year and Davis nothing. Is it worth staying the course?
Did you fill out the NeedAccess form? Because if you only filled out the FAFSA they can only offer you loans. You need both the FAFSA and NeedAccess done to be considered for grants.

notme

New

Post by notme » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:10 pm

After talking to the financial aid office, the Need Access forms appear to be only for "need" based aid as opposed to "merit" based aid. As I understand it, the scholarships that most schools offer as part of their acceptance package are merit based. The financial aid office indicated that a separate request should me made to the admissions office for such aid. In addition, the due date for filing the Need Access form has passed.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:25 pm

notme wrote:After talking to the financial aid office, the Need Access forms appear to be only for "need" based aid as opposed to "merit" based aid. As I understand it, the scholarships that most schools offer as part of their acceptance package are merit based. The financial aid office indicated that a separate request should me made to the admissions office for such aid. In addition, the due date for filing the Need Access form has passed.
Wait, one must make a separate request to the financial aid department for merit-based scholarships?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Smoyf

New

Post by Smoyf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:33 pm

notme wrote:After talking to the financial aid office, the Need Access forms appear to be only for "need" based aid as opposed to "merit" based aid. As I understand it, the scholarships that most schools offer as part of their acceptance package are merit based. The financial aid office indicated that a separate request should me made to the admissions office for such aid. In addition, the due date for filing the Need Access form has passed.
They let me fill it out past the deadline. Might have been because I was only recently admitted off the waitlist though. It got me 10k a year!

notme

New

Post by notme » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:21 pm

In reply to cantstop, no, I don't believe there is an application. My question was whether they give any scholarships, other than "need" based upon the Need Access form, at acceptance. Apparently I misunderstood, and the answer is no, which really impacts my decision re schools.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:34 pm

notme wrote:In reply to cantstop, no, I don't believe there is an application. My question was whether they give any scholarships, other than "need" based upon the Need Access form, at acceptance. Apparently I misunderstood, and the answer is no, which really impacts my decision re schools.
LAME. I'm sorry. Well, I wouldn't blame you if you decided on another school, but we'd love to have you at Davis.

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:53 pm

Smoyf wrote:
They let me fill it out past the deadline. Might have been because I was only recently admitted off the waitlist though. It got me 10k a year!
You got to fill it out? I would like to give this a shot. Do you think there would be any shot I could get some cash? My dad makes more than 250k a year, but he declined to fill out the form for me. If I did not include his info, could I possibly get some cash? I think it is ridiculous that you have to include their info if they aren't helping you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:00 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:
Smoyf wrote:
You got to fill it out? I would like to give this a shot. Do you think there would be any shot I could get some cash? My dad makes more than 250k a year, but he declined to fill out the form for me. If I did not include his info, could I possibly get some cash? I think it is ridiculous that you have to include their info if they aren't helping you.
I agree with you that it is ridiculous, but I called when I was having the same problems, and they said that if you didn't include one or both of your parents on the need access (and you were under 30, not in the military, neither parent was deceased, etc.), you would automatically be taken out of consideration for need based grants. If you don't believe me, you could try calling Financial Aid.

Smoyf

New

Post by Smoyf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:14 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:
Smoyf wrote:
You have to get them to fill it out. I think I remember something about expected parental contribution on the NeedAccess, my parents are pretty well off too but aren't helping me with law school so I put a big fat 0 there. Doesn't hurt to try and see what you get.

nmoor1501

New

Post by nmoor1501 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:16 pm

cantstop wrote:
nmoor1501 wrote:
Smoyf wrote:
I agree with you that it is ridiculous, but I called when I was having the same problems, and they said that if you didn't include one or both of your parents on the need access (and you were under 30, not in the military, neither parent was deceased, etc.), you would automatically be taken out of consideration for need based grants. If you don't believe me, you could try calling Financial Aid.
Could I list my mother only? Even if my parents are married? That would be cool...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:32 pm

I am finally moving back to Sacramento on Tuesday (going to live w/ my parents for a while before finding a place in Davis), so I will be in the area if any UCD 2012ers want to grab a burger or something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”