UC Davis 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)

Diamond

Re: UC Davis 2012

Post by 20160810 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:33 pm

aquarium_drinker wrote:You need a pc or a mac that can run a windows OS. The exam software runs strictly in a windows environment.

On the bright side, it's a good excuse to pick up that new MacBook you've had your eye on.
I bought my MacBook in October 2008, so I'm pretty sure it'll be dandy to run whatever I need.

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:04 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
aquarium_drinker wrote:You need a pc or a mac that can run a windows OS. The exam software runs strictly in a windows environment.

On the bright side, it's a good excuse to pick up that new MacBook you've had your eye on.
I bought my MacBook in October 2008, so I'm pretty sure it'll be dandy to run whatever I need.
I'm making a beeline for the mac store as soon as that first student aid check comes in.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:17 pm

aquarium_drinker wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:

I'm making a beeline for the mac store as soon as that first student aid check comes in.
Then hopefully you are more tech-savvy than I and can show me how to run the necessary exam software on a Mac prior to finals this winter!!

PS is your username a Wilco reference?

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:35 pm

You're the second TLS'er to pick up on my username and mention it to me! Well done.

Now someone on SFFixed needs to get the reference behind my 'excitable_boy' username.

herewego

New

Post by herewego » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:43 am

I was just going over my financial aid notice from Davis. Tuition is going up $3954 from the 08-09 school year. Definitely not unexpected, but its still painful.
That sends me back to the drawing board. I had ruled out Hastings based on cost, but after looking at the actual 09-10 cost the difference is just 3k/yr.
And I was about to join the Class of 2012 facebook group. I guess I will hold off another week or so to let the stalking commence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:29 am

SBL: All of the 1BD apartments in davis that I can think of off the top of my head do not seem like they would be particularly good for a relatively large dog like yours. There are, however, some 2BD places that are duplexes and thus have pretty decent backyards. So while I agree with the notion of living by yourself in law school, especially for 1L, I think that if you could find a roommate that you could live with (perhaps another grad student) it'd be a lot better situation for you. Also, in my experience, you're looking at the difference of between 450-600 a month for a room in a 2BD vs. 850-1000 for a 1BD, so your estimates regarding the difference in cost might be a little off. Your call though, of course, and like I said, I think living by yourself is good, all else being equal.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:43 am

Yeah, I think I'm not gonna worry about cost too much and just spend June and July living with my parents and looking at places, get a good survey on them as much as I can and then pounce when and if I find something good. The luxury of having my family in Sacramento is that I always have a fallback so I can take my time looking for the right place.

rlworld

New

Post by rlworld » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:19 pm

herewego wrote:I was just going over my financial aid notice from Davis. Tuition is going up $3954 from the 08-09 school year. Definitely not unexpected, but its still painful.
That sends me back to the drawing board. I had ruled out Hastings based on cost, but after looking at the actual 09-10 cost the difference is just 3k/yr.
And I was about to join the Class of 2012 facebook group. I guess I will hold off another week or so to let the stalking commence.

Are the financial aid award notices available on the admitted student website? I tried searching the financial aid section but it seemed like we needed a SID to access our award online.

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:08 pm

rlworld wrote:
herewego wrote:I was just going over my financial aid notice from Davis. Tuition is going up $3954 from the 08-09 school year. Definitely not unexpected, but its still painful.

Are the financial aid award notices available on the admitted student website? I tried searching the financial aid section but it seemed like we needed a SID to access our award online.
They're sort of hidden. You have to go to the Response Form section, and then the third paragraph down (the one in regular writing instead of red or bold) has a link. Hope that helps!

P.S. The Financial Aid page that you get directed to has your SID. I guess we're all assigned one once admitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:10 am

So who's got pics from ASD for a certain mod who was stuck in New Mexico?

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:27 am

Check out the faceboook group. They're up.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:41 am

w00h00!

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:26 pm

This is how I feel about UCD 2012

--ImageRemoved--

Carry on.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:52 am

Love that .gif.

Bumping in anticipation of some more UCD 2012ers getting great news this week!

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:49 pm

I'm glad someone else bumped this. Julia's wandering face alarmed me into silence.

Fairly certain I'll be at Davis in the fall. The campus is beautiful (I had no idea), and the students at the open house were impressive. I've been waitlisted at Hastings, but I get the sense that UCD would be a better fit so I'm not that bummed.

Where are people planning on living? Does anyone know long it (generally) takes to drive to the East Bay and SF? I live in LA now so anything under 1.5 hours is quick. And does Davis really reach 120 degrees in the summer?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:03 pm

Lior wrote:I'm glad someone else bumped this. Julia's wandering face alarmed me into silence.

Fairly certain I'll be at Davis in the fall. The campus is beautiful (I had no idea), and the students at the open house were impressive. I've been waitlisted at Hastings, but I get the sense that UCD would be a better fit so I'm not that bummed.

Where are people planning on living? Does anyone know long it (generally) takes to drive to the East Bay and SF? I live in LA now so anything under 1.5 hours is quick. And does Davis really reach 120 degrees in the summer?
Yeah, Julia and Man-Julia kind of freaked me out.

But, to answer your questions... I'm starting to look into housing and a lot of it has me really confused. Friends who went to undergrad at UC Davis say the best places to live are Central Davis or Downtown Davis (Immediately to the North or East of campus), especially considering that King Hall is on the Southeastern side of campus. However, I fear that large apartment complexes are loud and full of undergrads (and are renowned for awful management) while houses are too expensive for my financial aid budgeting. A few resources I've found are the Community Housing Listing (http://chl.ucdavis.edu) and Davis Wiki (http://daviswiki.org). I would really like to talk to current students about where they live specifically... they all seemed so chill about it at the open house, but I'm actually worried I won't find a quiet, clean place. Especially because most leases start Sept. 1st (because the rest of UC Davis is on the quarter system).

I live in Berkeley and it took me about an hour each way with moderate traffic while driving up to the open house (Friday rush hour) and back (Saturday ~6pm). When there's no traffic, people on 80 drive intensely fast.

herewego

New

Post by herewego » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:32 pm

cantstop wrote:
Lior wrote:I'm glad someone else bumped this. Julia's wandering face alarmed me into silence.

Yeah, Julia and Man-Julia kind of freaked me out.

But, to answer your questions... I'm starting to look into housing and a lot of it has me really confused. Friends who went to undergrad at UC Davis say the best places to live are Central Davis or Downtown Davis (Immediately to the North or East of campus), especially considering that King Hall is on the Southeastern side of campus. However, I fear that large apartment complexes are loud and full of undergrads (and are renowned for awful management) while houses are too expensive for my financial aid budgeting. A few resources I've found are the Community Housing Listing (http://chl.ucdavis.edu) and Davis Wiki (http://daviswiki.org). I would really like to talk to current students about where they live specifically... they all seemed so chill about it at the open house, but I'm actually worried I won't find a quiet, clean place. Especially because most leases start Sept. 1st (because the rest of UC Davis is on the quarter system).

I live in Berkeley and it took me about an hour each way with moderate traffic while driving up to the open house (Friday rush hour) and back (Saturday ~6pm). When there's no traffic, people on 80 drive intensely fast.
For housing you should check out Sacramento craigslist and then specifically search for Davis. You will find a lot of postings. I'm a Davis undergrad and would agree that downtown is a great place to live because of the ability to walk to the bars, restaurants, and movie theaters. That is what I will be searching for (if I decide on King Hall). But really, anywhere in Davis is fine. Because parking at the law school (with a permit) is easy, you don't have to worry too much about being within biking distance, unless that is a priority for you. Off the top of my head I would avoid both Lexington and Arlington apartment complexes. Im sure their are other party complexes, but I would venture to say most complexes in Davis are fairly relaxed and low key. If you find a complex check out its reputation on daviswiki.org, often smaller complexes will have a reputation for being particularly grad student friendly. Also, you may be surprised to find that a house may not be more expensive than apartment living. In regards to the Sept 1st lease issue, you may consider subletting from someone until you can renew the lease. A lot of students are trying to dump their apartments for the summer, so you may be able to negotiate a pretty great rate until you renew the lease in Sept.

I hope the above was helpful. I wouldn't stress too much. Just keep an eye out on craigslist and you will certainly find something! Housing in Davis is a breeze compared to the Bay Area, IMO. PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lior

New

Post by Lior » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks for your answers, cantstop!

I've have similar housing concerns. No dice on an undergrad-filled apt complex, and my huge loans (no grants b/c of my current salary) dictate that I don't do anything lavish, like live alone. Housing that goes with our schedule does seem harder to find. Most of the postings I've seen are for summer sublets, but that should change in the coming months.

Were you at the Friday and Saturday open houses? I only went Friday and liked it, but I thought the academic support presentations were weird. It's great that the law school has an academic support system obvi, but the 15 minute talk on basic note-taking was, well, basic. Maybe Davis was short of activities since it scheduled Friday's open house at the last minute.

I would have liked to see the law library. Has anyone seen that?

cantstop

New

Post by cantstop » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Lior wrote:Thanks for your answers, cantstop!

I've have similar housing concerns. No dice on an undergrad-filled apt complex, and my huge loans (no grants b/c of my current salary) dictate that I don't do anything lavish, like live alone. Housing that goes with our schedule does seem harder to find. Most of the postings I've seen are for summer sublets, but that should change in the coming months.

Were you at the Friday and Saturday open houses? I only went Friday and liked it, but I thought the academic support presentations were weird. It's great that the law school has an academic support system obvi, but the 15 minute talk on basic note-taking was, well, basic. Maybe Davis was short of activities since it scheduled Friday's open house at the last minute.

I would have liked to see the law library. Has anyone seen that?
I went to the Saturday Open House. I don't think they did an Academic Support presentation for us, or if they did I was elsewhere. The only thing I didn't like was the Financial Aid guy getting up after the IT guy, and the first thing out of his mouth was (I'm paraphrasing) "We don't offer extra loans for laptops, so don't even ask." What a jerk (especially because now I have to budget around a laptop purchase).

We didn't see much of the library. Even the librarian said it was not an impressive structure. I've seen Hastings' library, and can guarantee that Davis' library is like Hastings' red-headed stepchild. Of libraries. :)

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:18 pm

I used to drive back and forth from Sacramento to Berkeley all the time. Berkeley to Davis is about an hour. Add half an hour (depending on traffic) for Davis to SF. It does get hot as balls in the summer (over 100 frequently), but never 120. Generally there will be a couple days during the worst part of the summer where the temp flirts with 110, but that's as bad as it gets, and Davis has a lot of trees, so that helps a lot.

stevededalus

New

Post by stevededalus » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:28 pm

I had to miss the ASD, unfortunately. Did anyone who went to the ASD hear from current students about employment outcomes? Did UCD students or staff discuss how the economy has affected its graduates?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deliciouspork

New

Post by deliciouspork » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Hey guys, I'm an under at Davis and thought I'd give my 2 cents on housing.

I've lived in North Davis my entire time here. My roommates and I were able to find a townhouse with really cheap rent (I pay $420 for my own room that's pretty big). Plus if you live around Marketplace, you're within walking distance to a drugstore, Safeway, and some restaurants. It takes about 8 minutes to get to campus on bike, and there are bus lines than run straight to the Silo terminal (closest to King Hall). However, the J line is notorious for being late all the time.

Some apartment complexes will have really loud parties every once in a while, but they typically get shut down by cops due to noise violations. This was only a problem for me three or four times during my whole life in Davis.

I have friends who live downtown and in south Davis. The location is nice if you want to be closer to night life stuff but you'll also be paying higher rents.

If anyone has any questions about life in Davis (non-law school related) PM me. I'd be happy to talk about restaurants, biking, the arc (gym), or whatever.

aquarium_drinker

New

Post by aquarium_drinker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:38 pm

I live in an apartment complex in Davis. My upstairs neighbors keep me up all night singing karaoke.

Duplex in south Davis FTW!!

And yes, Davis does get quite hot in the summer. I don't think it ever reaches 120, but 105-108 is not uncommon. If you must live in an apartment complex, make sure it has a nice pool.

glacierfrost

Bronze

Post by glacierfrost » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Davis Pro: CHEAP HOUSING.

In my second year of undergrad at Davis, I lived in Parque Plaza in North Davis. I paid $291 for my own room which was also bigger than a normal 12 x 10 room.

I would recommend South Davis if you want a generally nicer and more clean place. It's also slightly closer to the law school compared to North Davis.

glacierfrost

Bronze

Post by glacierfrost » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Also, hella cockroaches in the summer. They tend to invade your house especially at night time. Beware.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”