UC Davis 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)

Diamond

UC Davis 2012

Post by 20160810 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:34 pm

I'm not 100% sure I'll be going there, but unless I get off a T14/UCLA waitlist, that's more and more what it's looking like, and I'm pretty pumped. Besides, UCD needs a thread here. My whole family is in Sac and that's where I want to work, so UCD is a fine choice and the money picture is good there.

So who else is it looking like Davis for?

Diamond

Re: UC Davis 2012

Post by 20160810 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:10 pm

Yeah, I'm bumping this...

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Looking more and more likely as time goes on. I dunno, we'll see...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:13 pm

Splitt3r wrote:Looking more and more likely as time goes on. I dunno, we'll see...
Being as how they need that deposit in like 3 weeks, I've decided that, depending on what I hear from USC this week, UCD is it. Then there is the issue of WLs, but I will sort that shit out later.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:17 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Splitt3r wrote:Looking more and more likely as time goes on. I dunno, we'll see...
Being as how they need that deposit in like 3 weeks, I've decided that, depending on what I hear from USC this week, UCD is it. Then there is the issue of WLs, but I will sort that shit out later.
Yeah, I'm almost definitely going to send in a deposit unless something crazy happens pretty quick here. Whether I'll end up going or not is another story

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beckysoc24

New

Post by beckysoc24 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:21 pm

It's between Davis and Hastings for me at this point. I'm going to see them both in a couple weeks, and I hope that leads to a decision before seat deposit deadlines.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:39 pm

Splitt3r wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
Yeah, I'm almost definitely going to send in a deposit unless something crazy happens pretty quick here. Whether I'll end up going or not is another story
I really think UCD suits my goals better than just about any non-T14 other than UCLA. If I got off the WL at UCLA or a T14, obviously that would be that, but given the remoteness of that possibility, I'm willing to say at this point there is a 90%+ likelihood that I'll be in Davis next year.

As for UCD v. UCH, that's another debate entirely. I personally didn't even apply to Hastings, just because Davis is much more my style. While it looks this year like Hastings is better ranked, they're close enough that it seems silly to let rankings rather than visiting the campuses make the choice for you. In fact, historically they switch off in the rankings a lot, as can be seen here: http://daviswiki.org/School_of_Law#head ... f529d30b81

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:01 am

beckysoc24 wrote:It's between Davis and Hastings for me at this point. I'm going to see them both in a couple weeks, and I hope that leads to a decision before seat deposit deadlines.
Another thing to keep in consideration that a friend of mine at UCD always complains about: getting in to SF/the Bay for job interviews at the end of the year is a huge hassle, and can be pretty costly. I didn't even think of that until she brought it up.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:17 pm

jawsome wrote:
beckysoc24 wrote:It's between Davis and Hastings for me at this point. I'm going to see them both in a couple weeks, and I hope that leads to a decision before seat deposit deadlines.
Another thing to keep in consideration that a friend of mine at UCD always complains about: getting in to SF/the Bay for job interviews at the end of the year is a huge hassle, and can be pretty costly. I didn't even think of that until she brought it up.
Huh? I used to go back and forth from Sacramento to the Bay all the time. It's about an 80 minute drive or a slightly longer AmTrak ride. Not exactly crossing the Sahara by camel.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

herewego

New

Post by herewego » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:26 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
jawsome wrote:
Huh? I used to go back and forth from Sacramento to the Bay all the time. It's about an 80 minute drive or a slightly longer AmTrak ride. Not exactly crossing the Sahara by camel.
+1
Costly? How about the fact that rent in SF will be twice what it is in Davis. For 3 years! I think I could splurge on a tank of gas and even a hotel room after saving the extra $600 that month on rent.
I am trying to figure out the Davis v. Hastings thing too, but this seems like a non-issue.

beckysoc24

New

Post by beckysoc24 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:27 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
jawsome wrote:

It's not that far in miles, but I have been in some pretty awful traffic on the 80, so I can see how traveling can be difficult if you're driving. I'm used to the horrible Bay Area traffic, so that's not bothering me as much. I just got the email about the added Open House day on April 3, which is awesome for me because I couldn't go on the 4th. Yay!

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:09 pm

jawsome wrote:
Yeah this is pretty ridiculous. Unless you're going at rush hour or sunday afternoon, traffic generally isn't that bad and it should be about an hour and 15 mins to SF. I make the drive from Davis to the Bay frequently and it take me 40 mins door-to-door.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:44 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

frank_the_tank

Bronze

Post by frank_the_tank » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:26 am

beckysoc24 wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
jawsome wrote:

It's not that far in miles, but I have been in some pretty awful traffic on the 80, so I can see how traveling can be difficult if you're driving. I'm used to the horrible Bay Area traffic, so that's not bothering me as much. I just got the email about the added Open House day on April 3, which is awesome for me because I couldn't go on the 4th. Yay!
You've lived in the bay but you still say this?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Yeah that stood out as pretty LA... :?

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:23 pm

I hate that so much. Why the fuck would you put an article in front of the name of a freeway? Do you call it "The 1st St.?" No, of course not, because that's retarded. Same thing for freeways.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:56 pm

Splitt3r wrote:I hate that so much. Why the fuck would you put an article in front of the name of a freeway? Do you call it "The 1st St.?" No, of course not, because that's retarded. Same thing for freeways.
For some reason I do this ONLY when referring to freeways in Southern California. The 405 is automatically "The 405" to me, as is "the 110." On the other hand, I-5 is just "I-5" and 80 is 80, no the.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:53 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
jawsome wrote:
I know, but it's still a relatively sizable commute if you ask me, especially if you don't have a car. Anyway, it was just what she told me. I've only been to Davis once hah.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:55 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Yeah that stood out as pretty LA... :?
I never realized calling a freeway "the ___" would offend so many people until I went to the Bay. We don't even notice when they say "I-80" yet when we say "the 80," shit ensues. It's actually kinda interesting.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:42 am

jawsome wrote:
I never realized calling a freeway "the ___" would offend so many people until I went to the Bay. We don't even notice when they say "I-80" yet when we say "the 80," shit ensues. It's actually kinda interesting.
IMO, I would much rather here "the 80" than "I'm from the 415". WTF? Just say San Francisco you weirdos.

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:12 pm

jawsome wrote:
Don't even act like you don't do the same thing when we say "hella."
worldtraveler wrote:
jawsome wrote:
IMO, I would much rather here "the 80" than "I'm from the 415". WTF? Just say San Francisco you weirdos.
No.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

google

New

Post by google » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:34 am

How much is tuition going to be each year for the next 3 years? I'm kind of irked personally about the increases.

rlktntdrmr

New

Post by rlktntdrmr » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:33 am

worldtraveler wrote:
jawsome wrote:

Who says that? I haven't heard people from San Francisco say this, except on some Facebook group. Anyway, it's better than being from "the OC;" since when did counties get articles?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:50 am

rlktntdrmr wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
jawsome wrote:

Who says that? I haven't heard people from San Francisco say this, except on some Facebook group. Anyway, it's better than being from "the OC;" since when did counties get articles?
I heard that at least a few times a week when living in the bay area.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:21 pm

rlktntdrmr wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
jawsome wrote:

Not to be a creeper, but zOMGRupertPenry-JoneszOMG. (Adam Carter + Lucas North = WIN)

Kthanksbye.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”