University of Denver 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
BWOD

New

University of Denver 2012

Post by BWOD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:03 pm

I decided over the weekend to attend DU (unless of course some waitlists change). Now the stress of the cycle is slowly evolving into stress of being a 1L.

If anyone else is coming post here. Look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Schrute_Farm

New

Re: University of Denver 2012

Post by Schrute_Farm » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Still not 100% sold yet, but heavily considering it. Are you coming from out of state?

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Schrute_Farm wrote:Still not 100% sold yet, but heavily considering it. Are you coming from out of state?
Technically, yes. But I did my undergrad at DU and am a Colorado native, so I know DU and the area well.

I was never sold on DU either but that's how it turns out sometimes. I do think it is a good decision for me however.

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Waiting to hear from Berkeley, but a free ride at DU is very tempting.

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Last edited by annapavlova on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:49 pm

Great City! Congrats All.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:53 pm

BWOD wrote:
Schrute_Farm wrote:Still not 100% sold yet, but heavily considering it. Are you coming from out of state?
Technically, yes. But I did my undergrad at DU and am a Colorado native, so I know DU and the area well.

I was never sold on DU either but that's how it turns out sometimes. I do think it is a good decision for me however.
I'm considering DU... haven't heard back from my top choices yet so it's up in the air, but I wonder: as someone with personal experience why were you not sold on DU?

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:30 pm

[/quote]

I'm considering DU... haven't heard back from my top choices yet so it's up in the air, but I wonder: as someone with personal experience why were you not sold on DU?[/quote]

I am mostly concerned with the academics and atmosphere of the school.

I am worried about competing for jobs with people coming from higher ranked schools and the extra work that will involve.

I also spent some time in the law school during undegrad and the people didn't seem to enjoy each others company. So I wonder about the camraderie of the school. I realize that law schools difficult and stressful, but you have to have some fun along the way. DU seemed to be lacking in that.

I am, however, going to their ASD next week so my view may change. Also, my opinion probably shouldn't affect anyones decision because they are purely superficial concerns. But, while I will go to DU, these apprehensions are still nagging.

Hope that helps.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:47 pm

I wouldn't call those concerns superficial at all! But for your sake, I hope that it looks different from the inside. And thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I feel like info. on the atmosphere of the school isn't as readily available as it is for most of the others I'm considering.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:58 pm

cmaho9qy wrote:I wouldn't call those concerns superficial at all! But for your sake, I hope that it looks different from the inside. And thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I feel like info. on the atmosphere of the school isn't as readily available as it is for most of the others I'm considering.
I would have to agree with you on that. There seems to be many concerns among applicants about the admissions office (see the other DU thread). Also, their admissions page is lacking compared to other schools which disappoints me.

uhoh

New

Post by uhoh » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:36 pm

See you in August, BWOD!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:31 am

uhoh wrote:See you in August, BWOD!
Looking forward to it! Now if we could only get more people to join us. :)

Westlaw

New

Post by Westlaw » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Heavily consindering DU as well. I love the city and would like to practice there- but am somewhat worried about the job prospects. Anyone attend the ASD? Anyone know anything about how students fare in regards to finding 1L/2L internships?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Westlaw

Check out the Change in Denver status post in the Law school acceptances forum. About 4 people posted their ASD exeperience thus far.

As for summer jobs though it looked like all on the student panel had had summer jobs and they were all confident about getting jobs on the way out. The only problem someone had was that the DA's office they were supposed to work at upon graduation is in a hiring freeze. Hope that helps.

mikek1323

New

Post by mikek1323 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:22 am

I totally didn't realize this thread existed, which is insane because I am on these forums on these forums a lot...to much actually. So heres my deal I actually only applied to DU because I felt I had a really good chance, and I mean i was going to send out more apps, I had sent my app into DU on dec 1st and went complete on the 13th so right around then I was gona apply to three or four more schools, then on the 19th I found out I got in and with the scholarship they offered me I said ok Ill go with it. I've visited the school over the summer and really liked it, however I didnt get to go to ASW. So anyway I am looking forward to it, but just curious you guys that are going to DU where are u living??

uhoh

New

Post by uhoh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:22 am

mikek1323 wrote:just curious you guys that are going to DU where are u living??
I live two miles west of campus, almost exactly. There are a ton of apartments in the campus area. I know a lot of people choose to live a little further away, and I might move after 1L, but this is pretty convenient for now. Hit up Craigslist if you haven't looked yet, that's how I found this one.

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:32 am

uhoh wrote:
mikek1323 wrote:just curious you guys that are going to DU where are u living??
I live two miles west of campus, almost exactly. There are a ton of apartments in the campus area. I know a lot of people choose to live a little further away, and I might move after 1L, but this is pretty convenient for now. Hit up Craigslist if you haven't looked yet, that's how I found this one.
I would agree with this one. I am looking for a house a couple blocks away from campus. There are a ton of apartments and lofts even across the street from the law school that are available. I lived in one these a couple years ago and loved it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 am

So today is the day first deposit is due.

To those who have put your deposit down: See you in the fall.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:49 am

A little sadly, I'm a thanks but no thanks. I've really loved the idea of living in Denver, but just got into SU and have some ties in the Seattle community that are worth hanging on to. Good luck to everyone! Hope somebody can use my spot :)

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:07 am

cmaho9qy wrote:A little sadly, I'm a thanks but no thanks. I've really loved the idea of living in Denver, but just got into SU and have some ties in the Seattle community that are worth hanging on to. Good luck to everyone! Hope somebody can use my spot :)
Good luck! I have a friend that's a 2L there now and she's enjoys it immensely. Hope it works out for you.

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:32 pm

I paid my seat deposit last week. Very excited about the prospect of studying at DU and living in Denver. I'm going to visit Syracuse next Friday and I want to keep an open mind, but I am leaning toward Denver.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mikek1323

New

Post by mikek1323 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:52 am

Yay for Denver going up 11 in the new USNWR rankings, and 9th on the part time is pretty solid. And CU went down 13 spots :lol:

BWOD

New

Post by BWOD » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:47 am

mikek1323 wrote:Yay for Denver going up 11 in the new USNWR rankings, and 9th on the part time is pretty solid. And CU went down 13 spots :lol:
???? Where are you getting your information? Granted that would be nice, but new rankings aren't supposed to come out until Thursday so I will withhold celebration until then.

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:02 am

BWOD wrote:
mikek1323 wrote:Yay for Denver going up 11 in the new USNWR rankings, and 9th on the part time is pretty solid. And CU went down 13 spots :lol:
???? Where are you getting your information? Granted that would be nice, but new rankings aren't supposed to come out until Thursday so I will withhold celebration until then.

I'd like to know too. This would make me happy.

mrcourt123

New

Post by mrcourt123 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:51 am

mrcourt123 wrote:
BWOD wrote:

I'd like to know too. This would make me happy.
Never mind. I'm all caught up now. It's pretty early in the am. I guess these leaked rankings look pretty legit, even though I've only seen a pic of the cover, no scan of the actual rankings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”