W&M Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
lethe405

New

Re: W&M Class of 2012

Post by lethe405 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:12 am

I spent the past weekend in Williamsburg visiting pretty much every apartment complex (except New Town and Sterling Manor, which are way out of my price range). We ended up going with Steeplechase, but I echo the sentiment about Regency. If they had an apartment available before mid-August, I would have rented there for sure.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about the different complexes, I'd be happy to try to answer. I saw so many in such a short time span that they're starting to blur together. The ones off Merrimac Trail especially are very similar (although I really don't think the area is nearly as bad as I had been led to believe here and in the Facebook group).

Avocat Blanc

New

Post by Avocat Blanc » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:33 pm

lethe405 wrote:I spent the past weekend in Williamsburg visiting pretty much every apartment complex (except New Town and Sterling Manor, which are way out of my price range). We ended up going with Steeplechase, but I echo the sentiment about Regency. If they had an apartment available before mid-August, I would have rented there for sure.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about the different complexes, I'd be happy to try to answer. I saw so many in such a short time span that they're starting to blur together. The ones off Merrimac Trail especially are very similar (although I really don't think the area is nearly as bad as I had been led to believe here and in the Facebook group).
Did you happen to look at Conway Gardens? I am thinking about taking a place there because they are the cheapest I could find off of Merrimac Trail but I heard people have had bug problems there in the past.... If you went by did it look shady? I'm not expecting them to be great, just not horrible.

lethe405

New

Post by lethe405 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Avocat Blanc wrote:Did you happen to look at Conway Gardens? I am thinking about taking a place there because they are the cheapest I could find off of Merrimac Trail but I heard people have had bug problems there in the past.... If you went by did it look shady? I'm not expecting them to be great, just not horrible.
I looked at Conway Gardens. It doesn't really stand out in my memory (as especially bad or especially good), which means that it was one of the many apartments that were tolerable but not preferable. Sorry I can't be more specific.

braun223

New

Post by braun223 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:24 pm

I just noticed today when I got the first tuition bill notice that W&M says loans won't be dispersed until shortly before classes start. Looks liek those of us paying for school with loans will have to find other ways to finance the first bill.

Avocat Blanc

New

Post by Avocat Blanc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:56 pm

braun223 wrote:I just noticed today when I got the first tuition bill notice that W&M says loans won't be dispersed until shortly before classes start. Looks liek those of us paying for school with loans will have to find other ways to finance the first bill.
If you have st afford and grad plus loans you shouldn't have to worry about it. My bill says as of 7/7 I have "Pending Credits" for those loans and the bill total is a negative amount of my loan refund. I'm not sure if private loans show up the same but I wouldn't worry about it, if your loans have already been approved, the LS will get their money on time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

braun223

New

Post by braun223 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:35 pm

I can't believe how quiet it has been in here even though schedules are now out. I guess I will get it started; Anyone else in section three or have Prof. Collins for LS1?

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:29 pm

braun223 wrote:I can't believe how quiet it has been in here even though schedules are now out. I guess I will get it started; Anyone else in section three or have Prof. Collins for LS1?
I know; I was surprised too :) . I'm in section three for all of the regular classes and I have Fox for Legal Skills.

Displeased

Bronze

Post by Displeased » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:13 am

I had no idea schedules were posted until I checked this thread. Thought they'd send us an e-mail or something....

Anyway, seeing the schedule all written out like that is making me really anxious to start. The bill was a shot in the gut, but seeing the schedule made all that go away.

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:19 am

I had Heymann for Torts, Combs for Criminal, and Green for Civ Pro, so if anyone has any questions about these professors, I'd be happy to answer them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

braun223

New

Post by braun223 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:27 am

Displeased wrote:I had no idea schedules were posted until I checked this thread. Thought they'd send us an e-mail or something....

Anyway, seeing the schedule all written out like that is making me really anxious to start. The bill was a shot in the gut, but seeing the schedule made all that go away.
Displeased - what section you in?

Displeased

Bronze

Post by Displeased » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:28 pm

Displeased - what section you in?
Does it actually tell you what section you are in? If so, I must be overlooking it. I'll try to guess from dates and times, but I'm not entirely sure how the section system works.

It seems like I'm in section 1 for Torts, with Hardy (11:30-12:45). Section 2 for Civ Pro, with Grover (2:00-3:15). Section 3 Crim Law, with Marcus. Legal Skills is Thursday at 3:30.

Seems like a good enough schedule, though I would have preferred if all my classes were as early as possible. I was a weirdo in college, I loved taking 8:00/9:00/10:00 A.M. classes and getting them all out of the way before noon. Guess that isn't possible in Law school.

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:51 pm

For what it's worth, W&M doesn't have a "section" system. As Displeased noted, someone may be in Section 1 of Torts and Section 3 of Crim Law, while another person may be in Section 2 of all three classes. The point is to prevent sections from turning into cliques. I'm not sure how well it works, but whatevs.

Also, just as a heads up - if anyone has Dodson for Civ Pro, I will be your TA for the semester; if anyone has Grover, I will be your TA for half of the semester.

braun223

New

Post by braun223 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:57 pm

Fly wrote:For what it's worth, W&M doesn't have a "section" system. As Displeased noted, someone may be in Section 1 of Torts and Section 3 of Crim Law, while another person may be in Section 2 of all three classes. The point is to prevent sections from turning into cliques. I'm not sure how well it works, but whatevs.

Also, just as a heads up - if anyone has Dodson for Civ Pro, I will be your TA for the semester; if anyone has Grover, I will be your TA for half of the semester.
Dodson- I'm in that one! Does that mean we can't ask you for outlines?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:45 pm

Hahaha, good question. I'm torn whether or not to share my outline with my students for three reasons. First, my outline is shoddy at best (I left out big chunks that I had memorized already); second, the value of the outline comes from making it, not from the content of the outline itself; third, I didn't have Dodson (he's brand spankin' new this year), so my outline (even if it were full) might not be appropriate for Dodson's class. So yeah, I haven't quite decided how to handle the outline thing just yet.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Fly wrote:For what it's worth, W&M doesn't have a "section" system. As Displeased noted, someone may be in Section 1 of Torts and Section 3 of Crim Law, while another person may be in Section 2 of all three classes. The point is to prevent sections from turning into cliques. I'm not sure how well it works, but whatevs.

I am really glad that we don't have one single section we follow around all the time. I was scared we did at first because the first two people I talked to both have all section 3 (like me). Fly, do you know anything about being able to switch Legal Skills sections (I'm guessing it probably isn't possible)? I really hate to be the complainer, but mine is from 6:30-8 at night and I REALLY don't learn well at night. I learned the hard way when I took took two night classes one semester.

Also, I was going to ask in the other thread if we were going to meet you this semester, but I got my answer. You'll be my TA for Dodson :) . You have the out-of-state fellowship right? Is being a TA how you are "doing your time" this semester? Around when did you get your assignments for first semester 1L? I had to submit my forms by July 8th, but it didn't say when we should expect to hear.

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:07 pm

I would recommend that you get in contact with the registrar (Ms. Chris Creech: cbcree@wm.edu) and explain your situation. I've found the administration to be very accessible, so if you have a legitimate reason for wanting to switch, they may be able to accommodate you.

And yep, TA'ing satisfies my graduate fellowship work requirement. In the Spring, I'll be a research assistant with Con Law professor Neil Devins. As far as your fall assignments go, I don't remember exactly when I got mine, but I remember thinking it took a while. I want to say mid-August, but I can't guarantee that.

I'm glad to hear some of you have Dodson! Although, I may need to brush up on my Civ Pro... It's been a while; I may be a bit rusty.

Displeased

Bronze

Post by Displeased » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:19 pm

texas08 wrote: You have the out-of-state fellowship right? Is being a TA how you are "doing your time" this semester? Around when did you get your assignments for first semester 1L? I had to submit my forms by July 8th, but it didn't say when we should expect to hear.
That form made me feel wildly unqualified for any kind of employment. I put down zero competency in almost all the categories.

I imagine that it doesn't make much difference, though. We're going to be stuck in the library or admissions office or CSO or whatever no matter what we put down.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:59 am

Displeased wrote:We're going to be stuck in the library or admissions office or CSO or whatever no matter what we put down.
Correct. My assignments had no discernible correlation to what I wrote on my forms.

lloydchristmas

New

Post by lloydchristmas » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:31 pm

Hey, when are most of you moving down?

lloydchristmas

New

Post by lloydchristmas » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:33 pm

Also, i joined the fb group, but need to be approved, does it need to be my network for me to get approved? thanks.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:00 pm

lloydchristmas wrote:Hey, when are most of you moving down?
I'll be there about August 10th. When are you moving down? Last I saw (which admittedly may have been around March) you were still waiting to hear from W&M (I think, please reassure me that I'm not crazy), so congrats!
lloydchristmas wrote:Also, i joined the fb group, but need to be approved, does it need to be my network for me to get approved? thanks.
It doesn't have to be your network as far as I know. You just have to be an admitted student and have paid your deposit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Displeased wrote:That form made me feel wildly unqualified for any kind of employment. I put down zero competency in almost all the categories.

I imagine that it doesn't make much difference, though. We're going to be stuck in the library or admissions office or CSO or whatever no matter what we put down.
I know. And the awkward weekend and night library hours? Fly, how many people got stuck with those crappy hours? When were yours? I thought it was really annoying that they gave us the different kinds of jobs and descriptions, yet there was nowhere to preference those jobs. Just the annoying list of "competencies." I was pretty excited when I got to put a 3 for Microsoft Word :D .

*Edited to add this question: Fly, what was your take on Law "Camp?" I got a pretty bad impression that we were instructed to not read a certain book. To me, that said, hey this will teach you exactly what we are going to make you sit through 80,000 lectures for, except in less time. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:54 pm

texas08 wrote:
Displeased wrote:Fly, how many people got stuck with those crappy hours? When were yours? I thought it was really annoying that they gave us the different kinds of jobs and descriptions, yet there was nowhere to preference those jobs. Just the annoying list of "competencies." I was pretty excited when I got to put a 3 for Microsoft Word :D .

*Edited to add this question: Fly, what was your take on Law "Camp?" I got a pretty bad impression that we were instructed to not read a certain book. To me, that said, hey this will teach you exactly what we are going to make you sit through 80,000 lectures for, except in less time. Please tell me I'm wrong.
A decent amount of people got stuck with bad hours - after all, there needs to be someone at the Circulation and Reference desks during all hours of operation. The large majority, though, had very reasonable hours. My library assignment was with "technical services," which, despite its name, was not technical. I printed out labels and put them on the spines of books. It was boring, but I got to pick my own hours, which was nice.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of law camp. I think it's too long and drawn out. Also, I took a few classes on law in my undergrad, so I knew a lot of what they taught us already. I don't quite understand what your bad impression is, though. Please elaborate and/or clarify, and I'll try to see if I can help out a bit more.

texas08

New

Post by texas08 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Fly wrote:To be honest, I'm not a big fan of law camp. I think it's too long and drawn out. Also, I took a few classes on law in my undergrad, so I knew a lot of what they taught us already. I don't quite understand what your bad impression is, though. Please elaborate and/or clarify, and I'll try to see if I can help out a bit more.
Well, my first impression was several months ago and it just seemed very, I don't know, welcome to Freshman year of high school. Hard to explain without copying the wording of the letter they sent me. Then they sent us our book list with specific instructions not to read a certain book or "we might get less out of the introductory week experience." Which to me says that we could just read the book and get essentially the same knowledge. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of mandatory events that are time consuming and more or less redundant. But seeing as I don't really have a choice, I guess I'll just make the best of it like everyone else :D . The nice part is I'm guessing we'll have lots of time to meet fellow students.

Fly

New

Post by Fly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:10 pm

texas08 wrote:
Fly wrote:To be honest, I'm not a big fan of law camp. I think it's too long and drawn out. Also, I took a few classes on law in my undergrad, so I knew a lot of what they taught us already. I don't quite understand what your bad impression is, though. Please elaborate and/or clarify, and I'll try to see if I can help out a bit more.
Well, my first impression was several months ago and it just seemed very, I don't know, welcome to Freshman year of high school. Hard to explain without copying the wording of the letter they sent me. Then they sent us our book list with specific instructions not to read a certain book or "we might get less out of the introductory week experience." Which to me says that we could just read the book and get essentially the same knowledge. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of mandatory events that are time consuming and more or less redundant. But seeing as I don't really have a choice, I guess I'll just make the best of it like everyone else :D . The nice part is I'm guessing we'll have lots of time to meet fellow students.
Is that book something like "Law, Law Study, and the Lawyer's Role" or something? They assigned bits of that during law camp, and they really didn't want us to read ahead. But hey, if you want to, go right ahead, I really don't see how it could cause harm. They make it seems like Law Camp is an overwhelming experience that can drive people crazy if they try to take it all in at once, but it isn't. I mean, if you know nothing about law, then yes, law camp (and law school in general) may be overwhelming, but if you have a basic knowledge of our legal system, you'll be fine. So yeah, overall, law camp is pretty boring and largely unnecessary, but there is a lot of downtime to get to know people.

Oh, one quick tip. In law camp, they're going to teach you how to "brief" cases. Do NOT follow their method. Seriously. It is a huge waste of time. They tell you to include a bunch of unnecessary stuff like the citation, the question presented, the dicta, etc. When you brief cases, all you need is a brief summary of the facts and a brief statement of the ruling/reasoning. In civil procedure, you'll want to include procedural history, but that doesn't matter in other classes. For those of you who have Dodson, you'll hear this rant again live, in person, but it's important, dag nabbit!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”