Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dapoetic1

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Post by dapoetic1 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:32 pm

phooey182 wrote:For those buying a computer...

I bought the 13" MacBook Pro. They offer $100 rebate on 'selected' printers. I ordered the Canon PIXMA MP480 which is a Color printer (including photos), scanner and a copy machine. I think it's a good little printer/scanner/copier. It's a $99 printer, and with the $100 rebate, you basically get it for free. It comes with 1 color and 1 black cartridge. But it does NOT come with a USB cable, so you have to buy one for $25 if you don't already have one. I been testing it out and it's a nice little machine. Here's the link to the product...

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=17160

Also, I went to Staples to buy some printer paper and I ended up buying some school supplies, which I haven't done in about 12 years. Very strange. I got some pens, a ruler (I use rulers to read small text in books), some file folders and a few Sharpies. There was a sale on highlighters, but I didn't buy any because there was too much yellow in the packages. Before I left my job I stole a bunch of legal pads. :lol: So I'm good with those. I wonder if they have a suggested shopping list (other than text books)?

What...no trapper keeper? :)

nicoolie

New

Post by nicoolie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Hey everyone! New to the forum. Just finished reading through all the prior pages lol. Will be attending Newark law this fall. I'm from New Jersey and will be commuting from Bergen County, hopefully moving to downtown Jersey City in the not to distant future. Look forward to meeting all of you. Has anyone gotten a schedule yet? I'm so anxious! Also, I'm considering applying to the dual degree program for JD/MBA. Anyone else considering this program?

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:04 pm

I finally spoke to Anita Wilson. I faxed her my 12-month least and a Utility bill so I could get in-state tuition. I also got a letter from the Office of Financial Aid reminding me to sign my promissory note. They won't give you your student loans unless you sign that note.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:22 pm

@nicoolie--Welcome to the forum and the RU-N c/o 2012 page...you are among friends.

@phooey--Gotta stay on top of your money!! I just signed my MPN as well. I'm working on my lease as we speak. Hopefully I'll have that by the end of the week. Did you have to fax a utility bill also or was that just something extra?

I'm really excited. I just found a place to live. When I meet you guys I'll invite you over.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:37 pm

The utility bill must be extra b/c I sent Dean Walton just my lease and she told me that got the deal done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:50 am

king3780 wrote:The utility bill must be extra b/c I sent Dean Walton just my lease and she told me that got the deal done.
Well when I spoke to her, I volunteered a utility bill because it is a common way to provide you live at a particular address, so she just said to send it along.

I signed my MPN today, sending it out via snail mail.

Now I gotta do my inoculation stuff. I spoke to Health Services. Their paperwork said it's due by July 15th, but that is not a 'required' date. It's a 'preferred by' date. Also, my doctor doesn't have my records anymore, so I have to go get a blood titer test which can show immunity to Measles, Mumps or Rubella. VERY ANNOYING! I can't believe they still make us do this stupid stuff. I walk around public places all the time and I don't have to prove I've had my shots. Why can't I walk around Rutgers?

Aaaargh and I still need to get an NJ driver's license!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:13 am

Anybody living in the Journal Square area?
Maybe we can get a head start on our study groups?

I need a work out partner too. I'm trying to figure out how to work my schedule so that I can get in working out, eating, school, studying and a little TV time to relax.
I think I'm going to be on the late track so I can definitely work out in the morning before school but I don't think my building has a fitness room so that might be harder than I thought. I'm not really big into running on concrete so the outside jogging thing doesn't really appeal to me. Hmmmm....I've got some thinking to do.

If anyone is curious as to the timing of the classes you can actually see which classes are held at which times and it'll kind of give you an idea of how your schdule will play out. Looks like LR&W is a Monday only class held at either 9 something or 11 something and then most other classes are TWRF and there's a couple of others that are MTWR. And of course all classes are over fairly early in the afternoon on Friday I think Dean Walton said they end by 1.
So it seems like Monday and Friday are the least busy days giving you plenty of time to ramp it up and bring it on down...

Oh they way you check out the schedule is through the Rutgers portal (myrutgers). Go to the "Academics" tab, Course Offerings and select Newark, Graduate 2009. Select "law" from the pull down menu and you can see all the first year courses for the semester.

nicoolie

New

Post by nicoolie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:49 am

dapoetic1 wrote:Anybody living in the Journal Square area?

I need a work out partner too. I'm trying to figure out how to work my schedule so that I can get in working out, eating, school, studying and a little TV time to relax.
I think I'm going to be on the late track so I can definitely work out in the morning before school but I don't think my building has a fitness room so that might be harder than I thought. I'm not really big into running on concrete so the outside jogging thing doesn't really appeal to me. Hmmmm....I've got some thinking to do.

If anyone is curious as to the timing of the classes you can actually see which classes are held at which times and it'll kind of give you an idea of how your schdule will play out. Looks like LR&W is a Monday only class held at either 9 something or 11 something and then most other classes are TWRF and there's a couple of others that are MTWR. And of course all classes are over fairly early in the afternoon on Friday I think Dean Walton said they end by 1.
So it seems like Monday and Friday are the least busy days giving you plenty of time to ramp it up and bring it on down...

Oh they way you check out the schedule is through the Rutgers portal (myrutgers). Go to the "Academics" tab, Course Offerings and select Newark, Graduate 2009. Select "law" from the pull down menu and you can see all the first year courses for the semester.
That's funny. I was actually doing that today as well - perusing the course sections trying to make myself a schedule lol. I was ALMOST tempted to hit up ratemyprofessor but I excercised restraint.

macaw

New

Post by macaw » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks for the course offering info. You've been as helpful as the Admissions staff :-)

I'm into jogging and some gym time as well. Nothing beats starting the day with a morning 5k run or a 30-45min gym session. Has anyone here visited the Rutgers gym? I'm hoping its pretty decent... It would be nice if the law school had a jogging team or something...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

macaw

New

Post by macaw » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:26 pm

phooey182 wrote:
king3780 wrote:The utility bill must be extra b/c I sent Dean Walton just my lease and she told me that got the deal done.
Well when I spoke to her, I volunteered a utility bill because it is a common way to provide you live at a particular address, so she just said to send it along.

Now I gotta do my inoculation stuff. I spoke to Health Services. Their paperwork said it's due by July 15th, but that is not a 'required' date. It's a 'preferred by' date. Also, my doctor doesn't have my records anymore, so I have to go get a blood titer test which can show immunity to Measles, Mumps or Rubella. VERY ANNOYING! I can't believe they still make us do this stupid stuff. I walk around public places all the time and I don't have to prove I've had my shots. Why can't I walk around Rutgers?

I spent a couple of weeks trying to get all my shots and having my doctor sign me off.... annoying... but I think its probably a state law for public schools or something.

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:15 pm

phooey182 wrote:

Wait you don't need an NJ license for in-state tuition do you?

sergris

New

Post by sergris » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:30 pm

I believe to get in state tuition all you need is a lease for 12 months. Dean Walton told me that she will not "chase you for the license".

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:34 pm

^This is what I was told also. I wonder why it is so lax though, are we technically supposed to document more than just a lease? I keep worrying they might try to hit me up for out of state anyway lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:43 am

afterglow99 wrote:^This is what I was told also. I wonder why it is so lax though, are we technically supposed to document more than just a lease? I keep worrying they might try to hit me up for out of state anyway lol.
The way the statute reads is that in order to get in state residency you must prove that you have intentions to live in the state permanently (the 12 month lease) and you will make effort to obtain other resident-like documents such as (utilities in your name, voter registration, driver's license, registering your car, home ownership, etc.) So the way RU reads it is that you provide them with a lease saying you intend to make NJ your home. And eventually they 'assume' you will take the other necessary steps that becoming a resident require. The reason they're not going to chase you down is because once you're a resident you're a resident and they don't particularly care about the other stuff enough to take away your in-state status. most likely over the course of 3 years you're going to have one or two or more of these things taken care of. By getting a place to live you will have bills in your name. Technically you're not required to have a driver's license so they certainly can't make you get one. BUT it is one step in affirming your intention to become a permanent resident.
I would say the easiest way to get residency in any place is to register to vote. You can usually do it online and it only requires you have a valid ID and proof of address. Anywhere you are legally registered to vote is considered permanent residence.
The law school staff and the Rutgers Administration will not come after you but there's nothing wrong with getting extra documents to seal the deal.

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:39 am

I'll be moving from Los Angeles to the Journal Square area in about two weeks. I sent my lease to Dean Walton so hopefully, I can qualify for the in-state tuition rate. If anyone's interested in setting up a study group in Journal Square, let me know. I sent in my Immunization Form via certified mail a few days ago so that's already taken care of.

I still have to send in my final transcript from undergrad but I don't think that's going to take that much time. Worse comes to worse, I'll have to use the rush delivery option. Other than that, I think I'm just about done with the required paperwork. Is anyone else excited to finally start law school? I know I'll be singing a different tune once all the studying is underway, but I'm really looking forward to being in school again.

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:21 am

nicoolie wrote:Hey everyone! New to the forum. Just finished reading through all the prior pages lol. Will be attending Newark law this fall. I'm from New Jersey and will be commuting from Bergen County, hopefully moving to downtown Jersey City in the not to distant future. Look forward to meeting all of you. Has anyone gotten a schedule yet? I'm so anxious! Also, I'm considering applying to the dual degree program for JD/MBA. Anyone else considering this program?
I'm definitely considering applying for the JD/MBA dual degree program. I'm interested in labor & employment law and I think the MBA training would add a lot of value to any rising labor attorney. Have you considered a particular emphasis in your MBA? I'm mostly interested in management but I'd also want to take coursework in finance.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:56 am

FiatLux wrote:

I'll be moving from Los Angeles to the Journal Square area in about two weeks. I sent my lease to Dean Walton so hopefully, I can qualify for the in-state tuition rate. If anyone's interested in setting up a study group in Journal Square, let me know. I sent in my Immunization Form via certified mail a few days ago so that's already taken care of.

I still have to send in my final transcript from undergrad but I don't think that's going to take that much time. Worse comes to worse, I'll have to use the rush delivery option. Other than that, I think I'm just about done with the required paperwork. Is anyone else excited to finally start law school? I know I'll be singing a different tune once all the studying is underway, but I'm really looking forward to being in school again.
i'm excited to get started. the last paperwork thing i have to do is my immunization record. I have to find a doctor who can do the tests I need since my old doctor no longer has my records.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:09 pm

I'm excited to start too! I just moved to the Journal Square area yesterday and have my doc appointment for immunization on Tuesday so I should be all set then...besides paying my tuition :wink:

For those taking the Path train to school, do you know if we can take the shuttle from Penn Station for Orientation or do we need to show some sort of school ID?

Enjoy the last month before classes all!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:30 pm

bobothecat wrote:I'm excited to start too! I just moved to the Journal Square area yesterday and have my doc appointment for immunization on Tuesday so I should be all set then...besides paying my tuition :wink:

For those taking the Path train to school, do you know if we can take the shuttle from Penn Station for Orientation or do we need to show some sort of school ID?

Enjoy the last month before classes all!
@bobthecat- You need an ID to take the school shuttle but the light rail will pick you up from Penn Station and drop you off right in front of the school at the Washinton st. stop. If it's a nice day you could also walk. It's not that far.

I'm moving into a new building on Academy St. It's just 3 blocks or so south of the JS path. I was doing the math as far as driving vs. taking the train.

A parking pass for the year is $330. With our student discount a monthly train pass is ~$54/month so about $200/semester. So it's slightly cheaper to have a year long parking pass than to commute (minus gas of course). If you don't have a parking pass it's $3/day to park, but the Path is ~$3.20/round trip so I think I'll buy the parking pass. I actually like driving and it's a pretty short commute. But I'm sure I'll be taking the PATH some days as well. If my assumption of the way Monday and Friday classes work those will be short days so maybe I'll ride the train on those days and drive the other days. Maybe I'll use orientation as my trial run.

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks for the info--I guess I'll take the light rail till I get my ID. Are you moving to 197 Academy? I checked that place out and its a lovely building but the studios were too small for all my furniture and the two bedrooms was too much space--wish they had a 1 bedroom...

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm

bobothecat wrote:I just moved to the Journal Square area yesterday and have my doc appointment for immunization on Tuesday
Which Doc? I've been calling around but no one has been able to fit me in. I've been trying Hoboken and Manhattan even.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:13 pm

losjeans wrote:
bobothecat wrote:I just moved to the Journal Square area yesterday and have my doc appointment for immunization on Tuesday
Which Doc? I've been calling around but no one has been able to fit me in. I've been trying Hoboken and Manhattan even.
It was tough getting an appointment--I made it 3 weeks ago and this was the earliest they could give me. Its a doc in my old neighbourhood in queens.

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:38 pm

bobothecat wrote:It was tough getting an appointment--I made it 3 weeks ago and this was the earliest they could give me. Its a doc in my old neighbourhood in queens.
I just got in somewhere after being put on hold for far too long (so long that I hung up on several) by many offices.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Hey all, if anyone is still looking at apartments, I'm going to plug the place I chose again. Right next to the South Orange train station (NJ Transit) and a 10-15 minute drive to Rutgers. Someone else on this board is probably going to sign a lease. And if you do sign, send me a private IM and I'll send you my name because there's a referral fee. Yea, I'm trying to get the fee, but it's still a nice place to live.

http://www.gaslightcommonsapts.com

dapoetic1 wrote: A parking pass for the year is $330. With our student discount a monthly train pass is ~$54/month so about $200/semester. So it's slightly cheaper to have a year long parking pass than to commute (minus gas of course). If you don't have a parking pass it's $3/day to park, but the Path is ~$3.20/round trip so I think I'll buy the parking pass. I actually like driving and it's a pretty short commute. But I'm sure I'll be taking the PATH some days as well. If my assumption of the way Monday and Friday classes work those will be short days so maybe I'll ride the train on those days and drive the other days. Maybe I'll use orientation as my trial run.
But don't forget, parking can be crowded at times. If you are on the 'late' schedule, you may not find a parking spot and may end up driving around a lot to find one. Whereas if you can manage the train and the walk, you can come and go as you please without delay. As a law student, you'll probably be sitting on your ass all day studying, in lectures or just driving. A walk to and from the train may do you some good. And the trains don't get delayed to to bad weather. Just something to think about.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 pm

bobothecat wrote:Thanks for the info--I guess I'll take the light rail till I get my ID. Are you moving to 197 Academy? I checked that place out and its a lovely building but the studios were too small for all my furniture and the two bedrooms was too much space--wish they had a 1 bedroom...
Yes I am moving into 197 Academy...penthouse!!!
Okay, so it's not exactly the penthouse but it is on the top floor :lol:

I've actually never seen the place in person so I'll have to take your word that it's nice. I've heard good things and I've seen pictures and the virtual tour. I don't have the time to go out there and apartment hunt. The only reason I signed the lease sight unseen is because it's right where I wanted to be (near the PATH), and it's a new building so I'm not worried about the condition. Also the price was great.

I did think it was interesting that the entire building was studios and 2beds--I don't think I've ever seen anything like that.
As soon as I move in you guys are all invited over. Bring Booze!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”