Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
billionaire boy

New

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Post by billionaire boy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:48 pm

wow you must have been real prepared.... i dont want to go there and make a fool of myself lol

Shellybelly

New

Post by Shellybelly » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:27 pm

I got waitlisted but I know that all hope is not lost! I'll be visiting next week and can't wait!!! :)

jules24

New

Post by jules24 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:20 pm

i got waitlisted too :?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:11 pm

For those that got WL'd

Hold on if you can if Rutgers is your top choice. A lot of people have been WL'd and withdrawn so if nothing else the list is getting shorter. Also for those that were accepted to Rutgers early as a safety and have since been admitted to their top choices there may be some spots opening up.

Good luck to all of you!!!

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:50 am

Did any of you sign up for Fastweb? i just got sent 49 different scholarships pertaining to Rutgers and I'm trying to figure out if these are just the normal scholarships everyone is considered for or if I need to do something to be considered. All Fastweb does is send me to the Rutgers website.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Shellybelly

New

Post by Shellybelly » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:33 pm

THANKS dapoetic1!! How do you know all of this?! LOL! Anyway, Rutgers-Newark is my top choice so that's good news to my ears! :)

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:12 am

jpasqu1 wrote:Did any of you sign up for Fastweb? i just got sent 49 different scholarships pertaining to Rutgers and I'm trying to figure out if these are just the normal scholarships everyone is considered for or if I need to do something to be considered. All Fastweb does is send me to the Rutgers website.
Fastweb scholly's are basically like a search engine. When you put in that you plan to attend Rutgers it brings up all the institutional scholarships available to Rutgers Law students. It's the same for any school that has scholly's specifically for their students from gifts and endowments of alumni or legal professionals that have donated money for a scholarship.

In order to be eligible for those particular scholly's (the ones that direct you to the Rutgers page) all you have to do is have your FAFSA in. Fastweb actually has nothing to do with those it's more information. The admissions committee at Rutgers will actually who is awarded those scholarships and either give them to you upon acceptance or inform you that you have qualified and been awarded one of them in your financial aid letter. That financial aid letter should be coming out very soon. They're supposed to be getting the final numbers for 2009-10 which will allow them to determine actual student budgets and cost of living. So when they send all that infor they'll include those institutional scholarships. Nothing else is required.

However, the outside scholarhips (the ones that have no link to Rutgers) will normally require extra things like a resume, letter of rec, personal statement etc. So if you don't already have some of that stuff handy. Even if you don't get a scholarship this year there are scholly's available to 2L and 3L that are not available to 1L's and you may need to have those things on hand so that when they notify you of a potential scholly you're ready.

@Shellybellly--I'm not in the admission office or anything, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Select :lol:

Maniche018

New

Post by Maniche018 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:03 pm

I just sent my seat deposit in today, and can't wait to start in August.

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for Class of 2013 p/t students?

Thanks.

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Maniche018 wrote:I just sent my seat deposit in today, and can't wait to start in August.

Does anyone know if there is a facebook page for Class of 2013 p/t students?

Thanks.
IDK if there is one for 2013 but here is the evening student association group.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?sid=8 ... ref=search

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 pm

Perfect weather in NJ the past few days, it's gonna be a good summer.

premierock

New

Post by premierock » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:13 pm

I got deferred back in January and sent an LOCI. Now I've been put on the WL, and am going to have my employer write a letter to the admissions council. Any downside to this, and should I contact the school before I have them send a letter?

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 pm

premierock wrote:I got deferred back in January and sent an LOCI. Now I've been put on the WL, and am going to have my employer write a letter to the admissions council. Any downside to this, and should I contact the school before I have them send a letter?
not sure duder, I wrote a LOCI as well and not sure what else to do at this point, if anything

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi,

Has anyone here visited while school is in session? Whats the general vibe of the people/campus etc? I visited yesterday's small group and there were very few students left around so didn't get a good feel for the community. How is the library? do you think its large enough that you won't be fighting with someone for a seat? I just peered throught the glass windows and didn't see too much of the library. Was I just late yesterday or did they not bother giving a tour of their building? Any current students here? what is your experience like, how do you find your classmates? how happy are you with your choice?

Thanks guys!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:27 pm

bobothecat wrote:Hi,

Has anyone here visited while school is in session? Whats the general vibe of the people/campus etc? I visited yesterday's small group and there were very few students left around so didn't get a good feel for the community. How is the library? do you think its large enough that you won't be fighting with someone for a seat? I just peered throught the glass windows and didn't see too much of the library. Was I just late yesterday or did they not bother giving a tour of their building? Any current students here? what is your experience like, how do you find your classmates? how happy are you with your choice?

Thanks guys!
I went to RU undergrad and I always used the law library for my crim just and poli sci work. I never had trouble finding a seat or an empty computer in the computer lab on the top floor.

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:58 pm

IzziesGal wrote:

Thanks guys!
I went to RU undergrad and I always used the law library for my crim just and poli sci work. I never had trouble finding a seat or an empty computer in the computer lab on the top floor.
Are there electrical plugs at the seats in the library?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:10 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

Thanks guys!
Yes, there are plugs on the bases of the desk lamps. I seriously researched and wrote my 70 pg thesis there. It was really cozy for me, at least. 1st level....make a right into that reading room and take a seat all the way in the back to the left by the window.. Best spot.

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:56 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

Thanks guys!
Yes, there are plugs on the bases of the desk lamps. I seriously researched and wrote my 70 pg thesis there. It was really cozy for me, at least. 1st level....make a right into that reading room and take a seat all the way in the back to the left by the window.. Best spot.
Awesome, thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SillySil

New

Post by SillySil » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:41 pm

I'm thinking of going to the scholarship reception too...anyone else?

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:06 pm

SillySil wrote:I'm thinking of going to the scholarship reception too...anyone else?
I can't make it.

I just emailed Dean Walton and told her I couldn't make it. I almost referred to her as 'Anita'. Haha glad I caught that before I sent it out. In my line of work, everyone calls everyone else by their first names. Even the President of the company. It will be strange to start referring to people by Mr., Ms., Professor, Dean or Judge.

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:52 pm

phooey182 wrote:
SillySil wrote:I'm thinking of going to the scholarship reception too...anyone else?
I can't make it.

I just emailed Dean Walton and told her I couldn't make it. I almost referred to her as 'Anita'. Haha glad I caught that before I sent it out. In my line of work, everyone calls everyone else by their first names. Even the President of the company. It will be strange to start referring to people by Mr., Ms., Professor, Dean or Judge.
I can't make it either :( It seems like it'll be a good networking opportunity.

SillySil

New

Post by SillySil » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:31 pm

I'm pretty sure I'll be going...I will report back to those of you who cant make it :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:21 am

phooey182 wrote:
I can't make it.

Actually... I called her Anita while I was meeting with her. I've been out of school a while so calling people "Professor" or "Dean" isn't really in my daily vocabulary. It was definitely more of an involuntary gesture than ornery stubbornness--but I never really thought about it until just now. Obviously she didn't say anything about it and she didn't even bat an eye or do a double take. I think they're a little less concerned with certain formalities. I wouldn't make a practice of it, however. Hopefully at some point during the semester I get my customs and courtesies together!!

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:38 am

phooey182 wrote:I almost referred to her as 'Anita'.
In email I'd refrain as you did, but when I met her she introduced herself as Anita Walton, thus I referred to her as Anita.

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Hey, does anyone who got an invitation to the Minority Student Program know if they are still accepting people, or have they already made their admission choices? I am a minority (though not really underrepresented in higher education, as I am South Asian) and was hoping to get in, but I'd understand if they don't think I'm "disadvantaged" enough. I heard before that if you are a minority you are pretty much guaranteed admission to the program; perhaps that's not true.

SillySil

New

Post by SillySil » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Last edited by SillySil on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”