Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
phooey182

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Post by phooey182 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:06 pm

FiatLux wrote:I just moved into Journal Square. Has anybody else moved into this area yet and if so, how do you like it? This is definitely more urban than what I'm used to but I still like the convenience of it. I'm only about a 5 minute walk to the PATH station.

Where's Journal Square, is that Hoboken?

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:33 am

phooey182 wrote:
FiatLux wrote:I just moved into Journal Square. Has anybody else moved into this area yet and if so, how do you like it? This is definitely more urban than what I'm used to but I still like the convenience of it. I'm only about a 5 minute walk to the PATH station.

Where's Journal Square, is that Hoboken?
Journal Square is in Jersey City. It's not all that far away from Hoboken, but it's on a different PATH line.

nicoolie

New

Post by nicoolie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:59 am

phooey182 wrote:Hey my Contracts professor (Kettle) just sent me an e-mail. It's basically a 'Welcome' e-mail without any assignments or anything. COOL!

I bought a month pass on NJ Transit for $33 through the Rutgers portal. I'm gonna try commuting for a month. If I hate it, I'll drive. I drove to Rutgers at around 7:30 in the morning on a weekday last week. No traffic, good weather, I got there quickly. I bet traffic increases when school is in session, especially around the parking lots in the mornings. Also, winters can suck in Jersey, and I hate driving in bad weather. I trust my own driving capabilities, I just don't trust the other people on the road. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I might as well get used to commuting now. I expect I'll be interning and/or working in NYC eventually. Or close to it.

I got my Bluebook yesterday. It's all greek to me!

BLACKBOARD is working, you can log in and see your courses.
Also, I had problems viewing Blackboard in Safari, but it works fine with Firefox (for all you Mac users)
My contracts professor posted the reading assignments for the first two weeks, none of my other professors have posted (yet). Summer vacation is coming to a close.
I have kettle also but haven't received an email? Also, blackboard was working last week but is no longer working for me. :( Has anyone heard anything about orientation?

Ps. I'm in europe right now and doing this all from a blackberry.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:57 pm

nicoolie wrote:
phooey182 wrote:Hey my Contracts professor (Kettle) just sent me an e-mail. It's basically a 'Welcome' e-mail without any assignments or anything. COOL!

I bought a month pass on NJ Transit for $33 through the Rutgers portal. I'm gonna try commuting for a month. If I hate it, I'll drive. I drove to Rutgers at around 7:30 in the morning on a weekday last week. No traffic, good weather, I got there quickly. I bet traffic increases when school is in session, especially around the parking lots in the mornings. Also, winters can suck in Jersey, and I hate driving in bad weather. I trust my own driving capabilities, I just don't trust the other people on the road. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I might as well get used to commuting now. I expect I'll be interning and/or working in NYC eventually. Or close to it.

I got my Bluebook yesterday. It's all greek to me!

BLACKBOARD is working, you can log in and see your courses.
Also, I had problems viewing Blackboard in Safari, but it works fine with Firefox (for all you Mac users)
My contracts professor posted the reading assignments for the first two weeks, none of my other professors have posted (yet). Summer vacation is coming to a close.
I have kettle also but haven't received an email? Also, blackboard was working last week but is no longer working for me. :( Has anyone heard anything about orientation?

Ps. I'm in europe right now and doing this all from a blackberry.
Your e-mail would have gone to your Rutgers webmail account, did you sign up for one? Did you check it? You can also set up your account so that it automatically forwards e-mails to another account. I have my Rutgers account forwarding to my gmail account.

I haven't heard anything about orientation. I am assuming we will hear something this week because orientation starts next Wednesday.

Side Note:
My Torts class did not show up in Blackboard. I spoke to Anita and she said that the professor has to 'enable' the class in Blackboard. If your professor does not enable the class in Blackboard, you are still registered for it, although it won't show up as one of your classes in Blackboard.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:51 pm

I live in JSQ--the neighborhood is definitely interesting and vibrant. I spent the first few days just walking around and seeing what was around and what I could get to. I pretty much know how to get around on the PATH and then I spent a few days driving to various places I need to know like the law school, grocery store and target

As far as the shuttle. There is a Rutgers shuttle van that operates every 15 min or so and it goes in a little loop between Newark Penn station the 2 parking decks and a street behind the law school. There's also a light rail that you can take from Newark Penn station to about a block from the law school it drops you off either at Broad st. or Washington. Washington is the closest. If you take the NJ transit and get a monthly student path you can also upgrade that pass to get a 1 zone Light rail pass which would be quite beneficial if you take the NJ transit and want to take the light rail to the school. I walk from Newark Penn Station every day in about 10 min or so. While the weather is nice it's a very easy walk, when it gets colder the light rail is a nice option as is the Rutgers Shuttle. YOu'll have to obviously wait for them but depending on when you get to the station it could be a very quick wait or you might have to wait a few min longer. The light rail ride from Newark Penn St. to the law school is about 2 min.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nocalls4jeff

New

Post by nocalls4jeff » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:00 am

phooey182 wrote:
nocalls4jeff wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:Yeah I'm definitely getting a train pass. $33/mnth is nothing. Without one I'd be paying about $45 to take the PATH. Plus I like taking the train around Jersey city and over to NYC so an unlimited monthly pass would be nice.

I've logged on to blackboard but only have two classes loaded and they're Property and LRW. Neither has any assignments loaded. I have Soled for LRW and Sclar for Property.
Do you know about the shuttle that runs from the Newark Train Station to Rutgers? Is there any info on the Rutgers website about the shuttle or a schedule of when it runs? I haven't found it. Thanks
ok just to be clear, there are TWO Newark stations, Broad Street and 'Newark Penn Station'.
This link might help a bit http://nwkpolice.rutgers.edu/RUPD_ShuttleService.html
Thanks! That's all the information I was looking for!

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:55 am

Random question, anyone know the closest big grocery store from campus?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:55 pm

afterglow99 wrote:Random question, anyone know the closest big grocery store from campus?
There isn't one within walking distance. At least not a 'large' one like Shoprite.
Driving distance however you can get to Harrison and Kearny and there's a WalMart, Shoprite and a few others. If you have the ability to drive then there's a Shoprite on Passaic in Kearny and there's a Pathmark on Ferry St. in Newark

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

If any of you still need to order books Barnes and Noble online is offering a membership discount (10%) on the purchase of all textbooks as well as free shipping (you will have to pay tax)

This is especially helpful if you have not ordered the "Basic Legal Research" Book for the LRW. Amazon has the book for $70 but it won't ship for 2-5 weeks. B&N will ship it in 1-2 weeks for $64+tax.

Also if you have Torts with Prof. Trout his casebook "Tort and Accidental Law" is not available on half.com. Although it will show that it is available it is not actually in stock from the vendor. So you may want to look elsewhere. It is available on Amazon but will not be in stock right away.

Finally if you notice "The Bluebook" they want us to use is the 17th edition. There is an 18th edition available so make sure you know which one you're purchasing.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:08 pm

My LR&W professor posted the course syllabus on Blackboard. The syllabus has all the professors names on it, so I assume it standard for all the LR&W classes. The document discusses books, grades, attendance, everything. From what I hear, even though LR&W is only a 1 hour class per week, you end up spending a lot of time on the assignments. It's an important skill to master.

On another note, I bought some of my books from BarristerBooks.com. If you are having trouble finding books from other sources, check there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:18 pm

dapoetic1 wrote: Finally if you notice "The Bluebook" they want us to use is the 17th edition. There is an 18th edition available so make sure you know which one you're purchasing.
This is a discrepancy here. Although the original booklist sent out by Anita Wilson says 17th edition, the syllabus I just received says 18th edition. I happen to have bought the 18th edition. Please check your book and the syllabus. Don't walk in with the wrong Bluebook.

tikitavi

New

Post by tikitavi » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:39 am

phooey182 wrote:My LR&W professor posted the course syllabus on Blackboard. The syllabus has all the professors names on it, so I assume it standard for all the LR&W classes. The document discusses books, grades, attendance, everything. From what I hear, even though LR&W is only a 1 hour class per week, you end up spending a lot of time on the assignments. It's an important skill to master.

On another note, I bought some of my books from BarristerBooks.com. If you are having trouble finding books from other sources, check there.
Could you post that document? I'd be interested to read it and my LR&W prof hasn't posted anything on blackboard yet. Thanks.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:36 pm

tikitavi wrote:
phooey182 wrote:My LR&W professor posted the course syllabus on Blackboard. The syllabus has all the professors names on it, so I assume it standard for all the LR&W classes. The document discusses books, grades, attendance, everything. From what I hear, even though LR&W is only a 1 hour class per week, you end up spending a lot of time on the assignments. It's an important skill to master.

Could you post that document? I'd be interested to read it and my LR&W prof hasn't posted anything on blackboard yet. Thanks.
Here you go....

http://www.scribd.com/doc/18456952/Nard ... ual-LATEST

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:56 pm

Anyone hear anything about orientation? I only got the parking notice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

j.hodgman

New

Post by j.hodgman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:54 pm

About books, anyone in Contracts with Hyde? What are you doing about the "supplement"?

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:29 am

dapoetic1 wrote:
afterglow99 wrote:Random question, anyone know the closest big grocery store from campus?
There isn't one within walking distance. At least not a 'large' one like Shoprite.
Driving distance however you can get to Harrison and Kearny and there's a WalMart, Shoprite and a few others. If you have the ability to drive then there's a Shoprite on Passaic in Kearny and there's a Pathmark on Ferry St. in Newark
Does anyone know if there are buses/shuttles that go to grocery stores for those who aren't bringing a car?

afterglow99

New

Post by afterglow99 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:36 am

The website says there is a shuttle that runs to grocery stores in Kearny and Harrison every weekday afternoon. It doesn't give any details about timetables, locations, etc though.

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:17 pm

Anyone know how to dress for orientation? Business, business-casual or just casual?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

k.e.l.l.y

New

Post by k.e.l.l.y » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:16 pm

phooey182 wrote:Anyone know how to dress for orientation? Business, business-casual or just casual?
I'm thinking something casual since it sounds like we'll pretty much be sitting in the same room or walking on a tour for most of those days. I guess unless you're planning on impressing or speaking individually with any of the named speakers, whatever you find most comfortable would be best.

MIA

New

Post by MIA » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:52 pm

Bluebook: The 18th edition is the correct edition, although the 17th edition should be fine. But someone from Rutgers is checking with the LRW professors to confirm

Groceries: There are plenty of shuttles from campus. One goes to the grocery store (shoprite) and also Kmart. That shuttle bus runs on Wednesdays and Sundays and only at specific times. I think Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings/afternoons.

Orientation: Casual or business casual is fine. Guys: Polos are common, but some do wear long sleeve button shirts. It's up to preference and there's no dress code.

ID's you might want to get this out of the way asap. The ID lines are long and annoying. If you can take care of this on Tuesday you would be doing yourself a favor.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:46 pm

Well Ladies and Gents of Rutgers Class of 2012, I have basically been rejected from the waitlist...fail. I wasn't rejected flat out but I basically said I would wait on the waitlist till the 17th and I havent gotten an answer so its safe to say I'm out. I Just wanted to wish dapoetic, phooey, and the rest of you luck with your years and keep in touch ;) Ill be attending St. John's University

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:20 pm

If anyone's in the Journal Square area and would like to grab a coffee or something, please kindly let me know. I'm bored on this Saturday night and only one of my professors has posted their case assignments (Track VI) on Blackboard. Plus, I figure, we might as well use the little free time we have now before classes start wisely because we're going to be studying like Franciscan monks once orientation is done.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:26 am

Zeph wrote:Well Ladies and Gents of Rutgers Class of 2012, I have basically been rejected from the waitlist...fail. I wasn't rejected flat out but I basically said I would wait on the waitlist till the 17th and I havent gotten an answer so its safe to say I'm out. I Just wanted to wish dapoetic, phooey, and the rest of you luck with your years and keep in touch ;) Ill be attending St. John's University
Sorry to hear that Zeph. :(

On the bright side, assuming you're not offended by the R-N snub, you can apply for a transfer during your 1L year. Even if you're not interested in that option, I think St. John's is a great school and I would've considered applying there but the tuition at R-N is almost impossible to pass up. Good luck as you start your 1L year and come back and give us updates on how your year is going!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:52 am

Zeph wrote:Well Ladies and Gents of Rutgers Class of 2012, I have basically been rejected from the waitlist...fail. I wasn't rejected flat out but I basically said I would wait on the waitlist till the 17th and I havent gotten an answer so its safe to say I'm out. I Just wanted to wish dapoetic, phooey, and the rest of you luck with your years and keep in touch ;) Ill be attending St. John's University
Thanks Zeph!!!
I'm sure you'll do great things at St.J
If you're ever in Newark (and I'm not really sure why on earth anyone would just be stopping through) make sure you come on by:-)
Good Luck this year
Last edited by dapoetic1 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:58 am

MIA wrote:Bluebook: The 18th edition is the correct edition, although the 17th edition should be fine. But someone from Rutgers is checking with the LRW professors to confirm

Groceries: There are plenty of shuttles from campus. One goes to the grocery store (shoprite) and also Kmart. That shuttle bus runs on Wednesdays and Sundays and only at specific times. I think Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings/afternoons.

Orientation: Casual or business casual is fine. Guys: Polos are common, but some do wear long sleeve button shirts. It's up to preference and there's no dress code.

ID's you might want to get this out of the way asap. The ID lines are long and annoying. If you can take care of this on Tuesday you would be doing yourself a favor.

The LRW profs have said the 18th ed. is the correct one. They even used it last year and they don't know how the 17th got on the list

As far as what to wear it's been in the mid 90's in Newark--nobody will care if you wear shorts and t-shirts. You won't be doing anything that requires you to be in a tie or button-down. So don your flip flops, throw on your baseball cap and be comfortable.

And I too would highly recommend getting your ID ASAP. As long as your term bill is paid you can get your ID. It shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes to walk there from the law school, and get it done. Make sure you have your 9 digit RUID because it makes the process just a bit faster. You don't need to bring a copy of your term bill. They know if it isn't paid!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 pm

FiatLux wrote:
Sorry to hear that Zeph. :(

On the bright side, assuming you're not offended by the R-N snub, you can apply for a transfer during your 1L year. Even if you're not interested in that option, I think St. John's is a great school and I would've considered applying there but the tuition at R-N is almost impossible to pass up. Good luck as you start your 1L year and come back and give us updates on how your year is going!
dapoetic1 wrote:
Thanks Zeph!!!
I'm sure you'll do great things at St.J
If you're ever in Newark (and I'm not really sure why on earth anyone would just be stopping through) make sure you come on by:-)
Good Luck this year
many thanks friends, like i said keep in touch! Being a lawyer is all about connections ;)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”