Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
FiatLux

New

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Post by FiatLux » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:58 am

This post is only for those applying for financial aid. Has anyone from out-of-state, but NOT living in University Housing, completed their Master Promissory Note for their Stafford loans and completed the documents for Graduate PLUS loans? The reason I ask is because my cost of attendance info is incorrect in my financial aid account (http://www.studentaid.rutgers.edu) because it computed my COA by classifying me as an out-of-state student (because I haven't submitted my 12-month lease) and classified me as living on-campus instead of off-campus. I already submitted a DCF (data change form) last week but the changes (from on-campus housing to off-campus housing) haven't been reflected in my account yet. As a result, I can complete the Master Promissory Note for the Stafford loans but I wouldn't know how much to apply for in Graduate PLUS loans until the accurate COA is calculated and included in my account (factoring me as off-campus and in-state).

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am

I found a nice place to live in South Orange, NJ. I signed my lease yesterday, I move in June 15th.

http://www.gaslightcommonsapts.com/

Nice, clean, managed property. Walking distance from the train and town center (very conveniently located). Pool, gym, Business Center, DirecTV and Internet all bundled in a yearly $275 fee. 15 minute drive from campus. Safe neighborhood. Big bathroom, kitchen and closets. 1 and 2 bedrooms available, take a roommate if you want. Washer/Dryer and Dishwasher included in unit. Outdoor parking free, indoor parking available for a fee.

I really liked this place. It has all the appliances I need. Cleanliness and safety were great. I'm paying $1620/month for a 1 bedroom, very spacious. Internet and Cable come for a fee of $275 per year 'amenities fee'. This also includes a 24 hr gym and pool. So I thought that was a really good deal. The gym was small, but had treadmills and the basic nautilus-type equipment. Very new, not some old smelly broom closet.

Some of you may be looking for Jersey City for a quick train ride to NYC or campus. This place can offer the same. It's worth a look.

If you sign a lease, send me a private message. If you give my name, I can get a $200 referral fee. :lol:

umass08

New

Post by umass08 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:18 pm

I've been reading all the posts about the different areas of newark etc. I am from new york originally but am clueless about the newark area. What is harrison like. I am lookin for something that it is affordable and am willing to share but from the sounds of it newark isnt looking like the right spot. I am from an urban environment but dont need to be lookin over my shoulder when i come home drunk or late from the library. Also what area in Jersey City provides the easiest commute to the law school?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:20 pm

umass08 wrote:I've been reading all the posts about the different areas of newark etc. I am from new york originally but am clueless about the newark area. What is harrison like. I am lookin for something that it is affordable and am willing to share but from the sounds of it newark isnt looking like the right spot. I am from an urban environment but dont need to be lookin over my shoulder when i come home drunk or late from the library. Also what area in Jersey City provides the easiest commute to the law school?
Ah, late night drunken library time. You "lookin'" to do that a lot?

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:42 pm

umass08 wrote:Also what area in Jersey City provides the easiest commute to the law school?
Around the train stations, so I'd say Journal Square, Grove Street, or Pavonia/Newport, arranged in terms of more livability from first to last.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

umass08

New

Post by umass08 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:48 pm

Is harrison a viable option or pretty much an extension of crappier parts of newark?

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm

I've only passed through Harrison on the train so I can't answer, but it is the stop between JSQ and NWK so it's closer. Newport is the farthest out from the stations I mentioned but it's an easy commute, maybe 25 minutes at most.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:13 am

umass08 wrote:Is harrison a viable option or pretty much an extension of crappier parts of newark?
I actually didn't think Harrison was too bad. Seemed a little more like suburbia. It was pretty similar to Kearny. It definitely wasn't as bad as the Newark areas.

And a I agree about the Jersey City living. For a quick commute you've gotta be close to the PATH. If you get an apartment in the Newport you live pretty much on top of the train station--they've built the apartments on the same block as the PATH and then up the street.
Grove St. PATH area is one of my favorite areas of JC. It's right there in downtown JC and it had a ton of cool restaurants and stuff to do. Also I really liked the styles of apartments available becaue there were lots of highrise building (gulls cove), new construction (liberty harbor), and the brownstones near van vorst and hamilton parks.
I didn't spend a lot of time in the Journal Sq. PATH area but it's definitely the quickest commute. I think it's the first stop in JC when you leave Newark Penn Station via PATH and just the second total stop on that line (NWK->33rd or NWK->WTC).

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:48 pm

You all get the e-mail from Dean Walton today?

I requested the early track.

Now I have to figure out how to get my immunization record. I haven't been to the doctor in years. And Hep B is now required for everyone? That's crazy!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

macaw

New

Post by macaw » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:50 pm

I currently live out of state and probably wont have too much time to be looking at too many places. Does anyone need a roommate for a place with separate rooms? or has anyone found a cheap and convenient place that i can look into?

I won't be bringing a car and I'm broke, so I'm more concerned with convenience (ease of travel to school) and price than a pretty neighborhood. Anyone know of such places?

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:38 pm

macaw wrote:I currently live out of state and probably wont have too much time to be looking at too many places. Does anyone need a roommate for a place with separate rooms? or has anyone found a cheap and convenient place that i can look into?

I won't be bringing a car and I'm broke, so I'm more concerned with convenience (ease of travel to school) and price than a pretty neighborhood. Anyone know of such places?

I think you would do well with on-campus housing.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:31 pm

phooey182 wrote:You all get the e-mail from Dean Walton today?

I requested the early track.

Now I have to figure out how to get my immunization record. I haven't been to the doctor in years. And Hep B is now required for everyone? That's crazy!

Yeah I got it. I requested late track

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:37 pm

I was checking the NJ Transit schedule/fees/etc. I am trying to decide whether to buy the Rutgers hangtag so parking will be $3.00 per day. OR buy a full semester worth of parking, or a full year, OR take NJ Transit.

Is the station to get off at the Newark Broad Street Station? It looks like a 10-minute walk from Broad street to campus. In the dead of winter, that could suck. :wink: Is the walk to the station safe at night? Will someone hold my hand if I get scared?

What are you guys doing. Driving? Public transportation? A mix of both?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

losjeans

New

Post by losjeans » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:55 pm

phooey182 wrote:I was checking the NJ Transit schedule/fees/etc. I am trying to decide whether to buy the Rutgers hangtag so parking will be $3.00 per day. OR buy a full semester worth of parking, or a full year, OR take NJ Transit.

Is the station to get off at the Newark Broad Street Station? It looks like a 10-minute walk from Broad street to campus. In the dead of winter, that could suck. :wink: Is the walk to the station safe at night? Will someone hold my hand if I get scared?

If taking the train: Take the PATH to NWK Penn Station, then the light rail, which is in Penn Station, to Washington street. It's about a block or two.

primeHos

New

Post by primeHos » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:15 pm

If you are leaving campus late, I suggest taking the Rutgers shuttle. The light rail can get scary at night.

Gosha79

New

Post by Gosha79 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:31 am

losjeans wrote:
phooey182 wrote:I was checking the NJ Transit schedule/fees/etc. I am trying to decide whether to buy the Rutgers hangtag so parking will be $3.00 per day. OR buy a full semester worth of parking, or a full year, OR take NJ Transit.

If taking the train: Take the PATH to NWK Penn Station, then the light rail, which is in Penn Station, to Washington street. It's about a block or two.
Hi
I will be commuting from Brooklyn, I an getting a car this summer specifically for this purpose. I did a trial run and it took me only 35 min door to door. Given my amazingly cheap rent it totally makes sense for me. For me the train is not even an option given where I live. It would take me about 2 hours each way to get to and from school. I am not about to spend 4 hours on a train when I can be studying in the library.

PS: If anyone is looking for someone to carpool with from Brooklyn please let me know. I will be leaving Sunset Park, Brooklyn everyday at 7:30am. I am willing, if you live on the way to school, to pick you up. The fee for carpooling will be negotiable. People let me know, I still have 4 seats available in the car and these babies will go fast, lol.

umass08

New

Post by umass08 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:38 pm

macaw wrote:I currently live out of state and probably wont have too much time to be looking at too many places. Does anyone need a roommate for a place with separate rooms? or has anyone found a cheap and convenient place that i can look into?

I am currently in the same boat. I visisted newark this wknd and found that harrison may be the cheapest easiest option for a commute. I would be down to share a 2br w. 2 people or 3 br with three people. Id definately rather do that than rent a room with people who are not 1L students. Ive looked and there are a few different options. If your down MCCAW i sent u my contact via personal message on this site. If any1 else is interested let me know. I'll get you my contact info

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

civil3d

New

Post by civil3d » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Where are you commuting from?
I've walked from the Broad Street station, and it's about 10 minutes at the most down University Ave. There are also buses that run down University. In the first year, at least, I'm sure there will be students from both tracks headed to and from the train stations together.

I'm definitely taking the train to save myself from sitting in traffic, and since I'll be taking the Morristown-Boonton line the shortest route is to Broad Street and then walking or taking a shuttle. Penn Station to the light rail is the long way around for me.

bobothecat

New

Post by bobothecat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:56 pm

In case you haven't seen this already...
--LinkRemoved--

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:32 pm

civil3d wrote:

Where are you commuting from?
I've walked from the Broad Street station, and it's about 10 minutes at the most down University Ave. There are also buses that run down University. In the first year, at least, I'm sure there will be students from both tracks headed to and from the train stations together.

I'm definitely taking the train to save myself from sitting in traffic, and since I'll be taking the Morristown-Boonton line the shortest route is to Broad Street and then walking or taking a shuttle. Penn Station to the light rail is the long way around for me.
I am coming from South Orange, which is the Gladstone/Morristown line. So we aren't on the same train :( The 10 minute walk looks ok. 5 minute walk to the train -> 11 minutes on the train -> 10 minute walk to school. Wow, I won't even need my car! Now I just have to find a good book bag and I'm set. I was worried about saving money. Mass Transit might just save my financial life.

Signed my lease today! I move in on Monday. Oooohh so exciting.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:24 am

I'm kind of in the same boat. I know you get a 25% discount on a NJ Transit pass by being a student. And you can basically have the money for the train pass taken out every month automatically. But if I'm not mistaken a semester long or year long parking pass is cheaper than a NJ transit path for 4 months or so. But on the train there's no traffic, and you don't have to worry about gas. so i guess there are benefits to both. I'm assuming now that I'll be living in Jersey City and hopefully close to the Grove St PATH (fingers crossed I find a spot that works for me). But I'll probably get a parking pass for the first semester and try driving especially if I end up on the late track. The traffic should be much clearer by then. And leaving in the evening means I won't have to walk to the the LR or PATH stations at night. Although--that's not even really an issue for me. I've walked from the school to Penn Station at night and there was no one out there. It wasn't like the streets were crawling with hoodlums waiting to rob me. I was the only one on that street. so i'm not terribly concerned for my safety seeing as how there's a free shuttle from RU to Penn stat. But I do like the Idea of leaving my house and parking near the school and having a car at my disposal. Plus...I actually like driving in the morning it gives me a chance to relax and listen to my music. I like the thought of the train but truth is that I probably won't ever get any studying done:-)
I'll have to try it both ways and see which one works best. I can always just switch it up if I don't feel like driving one day.

Right now I'm just trying to get my schedule together to get out and find an apartment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

civil3d

New

Post by civil3d » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:18 am

phooey182 wrote: I am coming from South Orange, which is the Gladstone/Morristown line. So we aren't on the same train :( The 10 minute walk looks ok. 5 minute walk to the train -> 11 minutes on the train -> 10 minute walk to school. Wow, I won't even need my car! Now I just have to find a good book bag and I'm set. I was worried about saving money. Mass Transit might just save my financial life.

The walk from Broad Street station is definitely more direct than going to Penn Station and taking light rail.
If you are getting on in South Orange we might be on the same train. Both the Morristown Line and Gladstone Branch trains stop in South Orange.
Heading west though would be a different story.
That's a pretty easy commute for you. I'm coming from much further west, so I envy that!
Good luck with your move, where are you moving from?

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:51 am

civil3d wrote:
phooey182 wrote: I am coming from South Orange, which is the Gladstone/Morristown line. So we aren't on the same train :( The 10 minute walk looks ok. 5 minute walk to the train -> 11 minutes on the train -> 10 minute walk to school. Wow, I won't even need my car! Now I just have to find a good book bag and I'm set. I was worried about saving money. Mass Transit might just save my financial life.

The walk from Broad Street station is definitely more direct than going to Penn Station and taking light rail.
If you are getting on in South Orange we might be on the same train. Both the Morristown Line and Gladstone Branch trains stop in South Orange.
That's a pretty easy commute for you. I'm coming from much further west, so I envy that!
I am moving from Los Angeles. But I sort of already moved.

I gave all my furniture and 'big' items to Salvation Army, and I got a receipt so I can claim it on my taxes. A lot of my stuff was old and junky. I shipped everything else via UPS to my sister in NJ. Then I drove across country (4 days) and have been staying with my sister until my new lease kicks in. I plan to buy some cheap furniture from Ikea and other places.

Right now I'm just chilling, watching a lot of TV, and trying to read more. Once our class schedules come out, I'll probably try to start getting used to the time. I'll wake up when I normally would for school, and go to sleep on time too. Once school starts, I don't want to have to 'adjust' to a new schedule.

I am also going to start getting some exercise. I read that exercise and a healthy lifestyle can really help you in law school. Did anyone else read that? Getting sick could really put you behind on the assignments. And I read that exercise makes you more alert, and thus more engaged in class. I was always a poor eater and a lazy couch potato. I guess law school is a good excuse to get in shape.

I been looking at book bags. I'm thinking of going with this one...http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpack ... ddle-black. I'm just not a fan of the backpack, and I want something durable. This one looks like I could use it for work during the summer. I don't think you can wear a backpack with a suit. Thoughts?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:44 am

phooey182 wrote:
civil3d wrote:

I am moving from Los Angeles. But I sort of already moved.

I gave all my furniture and 'big' items to Salvation Army, and I got a receipt so I can claim it on my taxes. A lot of my stuff was old and junky. I shipped everything else via UPS to my sister in NJ. Then I drove across country (4 days) and have been staying with my sister until my new lease kicks in. I plan to buy some cheap furniture from Ikea and other places.

Right now I'm just chilling, watching a lot of TV, and trying to read more. Once our class schedules come out, I'll probably try to start getting used to the time. I'll wake up when I normally would for school, and go to sleep on time too. Once school starts, I don't want to have to 'adjust' to a new schedule.

I am also going to start getting some exercise. I read that exercise and a healthy lifestyle can really help you in law school. Did anyone else read that? Getting sick could really put you behind on the assignments. And I read that exercise makes you more alert, and thus more engaged in class. I was always a poor eater and a lazy couch potato. I guess law school is a good excuse to get in shape.

I been looking at book bags. I'm thinking of going with this one...http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpack ... ddle-black. I'm just not a fan of the backpack, and I want something durable. This one looks like I could use it for work during the summer. I don't think you can wear a backpack with a suit. Thoughts?
As far as the exercise piece I couldn't agree with you more. Not only will it keep you healthy and alert it's a great way to relieve stress (which you will have a lot of) and it can keep you on a good schedule. I'm a total night owl which is why I asked for the late schedule. I love staying up late, and I get all kinds of stuff done. One of the things I like to do in the evening is work out. The weather is usually cooler and I shower right after I work out which is refreshing and helps me to be relaxed and focus. It also keeps you on a good eating schedule. If you're working out you're less likely to toss back a burger and fries right before you work out lest you get the meat sweats!!!

I really like that bag. My only problem is that I have a problem carrying lots of book and a laptop in a messenger-style bag just because it puts a bit of a strain on my back and shoulders. I prefer to the old-school two strapper for everyday school books and transit. But I do have a more professional messenger bag for outside events. I agree that backpacks and suits don't look all that put together. But that bag you posted seems to have nice padding which could help with the load.

umass08

New

Post by umass08 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:41 pm

ANY1 interested in living in harrison. I'm lookin to split a 2br or 3br with one or more other student(s), cause i cant afford to rent a 1br or studio by myself?.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”