Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
holmesNYC

New

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2012

Post by holmesNYC » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:15 am

I've officially withdrawn from Rutgers-Newark. Zeph, I hope you get my spot!

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:03 pm

addendum boy wrote:
FiatLux wrote:I'm currently in the apartment search for a student-friendly apartment in Newark or Jersey City. I came across this ad on Craigslist and I was wondering if anyone knows whether this area is a safe area? The property address is 751 Martin Luther King Blvd. Newark, NJ 07102 and the developer, TreeTop Development Corp., claims that this property and many of the buildings around this property have basically been renovated with brand new floors, ceramic tiles, new appliances, new fixtures, and state-of-the art security systems.

I've already looked at this location on Google Maps and I see that it is possible to walk from this property to campus and to Penn Station. The only question is, would you want to? Does anyone know if the area around this property is safe and whether the walk from this property to campus is actually a safe walk or do I need to put on a kevlar vest? Maybe a flak jacket?

--LinkRemoved--
This happened last night within feet of your future residence, if you are still contemplating moving there:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... y_was.html

Just thought I'd share, lol
I already signed a lease for an apt. in the Journal Square area of Jersey City. Thankfully, I am no longer in the apartment hunt and definitely no longer looking at places in Newark...lol. I'm definitely glad I'm not living in Newark.

FiatLux

New

Post by FiatLux » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:05 pm

holmesNYC wrote:I've officially withdrawn from Rutgers-Newark. Zeph, I hope you get my spot!
If I may ask, which school are attending instead of R-N? I was offered admission to the full-time program at Brooklyn Law about a week ago but declined because I don't think it would be worth paying roughly double the tuition I would be charged at R-N.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:58 am

addendum boy wrote:
FiatLux wrote:I'm currently in the apartment search for a student-friendly apartment in Newark or Jersey City. I came across this ad on Craigslist and I was wondering if anyone knows whether this area is a safe area? The property address is 751 Martin Luther King Blvd. Newark, NJ 07102 and the developer, TreeTop Development Corp., claims that this property and many of the buildings around this property have basically been renovated with brand new floors, ceramic tiles, new appliances, new fixtures, and state-of-the art security systems.

I've already looked at this location on Google Maps and I see that it is possible to walk from this property to campus and to Penn Station. The only question is, would you want to? Does anyone know if the area around this property is safe and whether the walk from this property to campus is actually a safe walk or do I need to put on a kevlar vest? Maybe a flak jacket?

--LinkRemoved--
This happened last night within feet of your future residence, if you are still contemplating moving there:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... y_was.html

WHAT????
The other guy didn't even die he was just injured--what's the big deal?
Sounds like if anything he may need a lawyer 8)

Just thought I'd share, lol

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:59 am

holmesNYC wrote:I've officially withdrawn from Rutgers-Newark. Zeph, I hope you get my spot!

*crosses fingers* hope so too ;)

ugh I haven't even gotten an email from them since who knows when...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:04 pm

I got my 13" MacBook Pro today. It is so beautiful. I feel smarter just looking at it.

I also bought a table at Ikea that will be my study area. It's nice too, but not as nice as my Mac.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:26 pm

phooey182 wrote:I got my 13" MacBook Pro today. It is so beautiful. I feel smarter just looking at it.

I also bought a table at Ikea that will be my study area. It's nice too, but not as nice as my Mac.
phooey did you order it online or did you get it in a retail store? I'm just wondering how long it takes to ship etc

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Zeph wrote:
phooey182 wrote:I got my 13" MacBook Pro today. It is so beautiful. I feel smarter just looking at it.

phooey did you order it online or did you get it in a retail store? I'm just wondering how long it takes to ship etc
I got it online and it shipped in like 1 day, I got it in 3 business days. I also got a free iPod touch and $100 off a printer. The iPod came with the Mac, but the printer was backordered and should be here by mid July. However....

The 'free' iPod Touch and $100 discount aren't really there. You have to pay full price for the iPod and printer and then send in your information for a rebate. And the rebate won't come until all items are delivered. So my rebate is on hold until my printer ships. I hope they ain't scamming me. Damn you Apple computers!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:24 am

phooey182 wrote:
Zeph wrote:

I got it online and it shipped in like 1 day, I got it in 3 business days. I also got a free iPod touch and $100 off a printer. The iPod came with the Mac, but the printer was backordered and should be here by mid July. However....

The 'free' iPod Touch and $100 discount aren't really there. You have to pay full price for the iPod and printer and then send in your information for a rebate. And the rebate won't come until all items are delivered. So my rebate is on hold until my printer ships. I hope they ain't scamming me. Damn you Apple computers!
Na prob not a scam, just very annoying lol...how about the iPod rebate, did you get that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:25 am

Zeph wrote:
phooey182 wrote:
Zeph wrote:

Na prob not a scam, just very annoying lol...how about the iPod rebate, did you get that?
No I cannot get the rebate until the entire order ships. So I have to wait for the printer to ship before I can get the rebate on the ipod.

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:03 am

phooey182 wrote: No I cannot get the rebate until the entire order ships. So I have to wait for the printer to ship before I can get the rebate on the ipod.

Bleh that's lame =/

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm bored! Aren't we supposed to get a syllabus or something soon?

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:01 pm

I got an award statement :?

I think we're supposed to get our tracks and sections some time this month...and a bill!!!

What are you guys doing for books?
-Buying at the bookstore
-Buying online and shipping

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:00 am

dapoetic1 wrote:I got an award statement :?

I think we're supposed to get our tracks and sections some time this month...and a bill!!!

-Buying at the bookstore
whichever is cheaper.

nic_john

New

Post by nic_john » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:21 pm

For those of you who are doing the MSP program, have you guys received any more information?

macaw

New

Post by macaw » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:04 pm

I have a feeling that some emails from Rutgers aren't getting to me. Can a couple of you guys confirm which were the last couple of emails that you guys received from Rutgers?

Also, has anyone received their housing assignments?

nic_john

New

Post by nic_john » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:26 pm

The last email I received was on June 30 from Dean Walton. It talked about about housing and New Jersey residency.

The only information I have received about housing assignments was awhile ago, and all it said was that they had received my housing application and that a room has been reserved for me in University Square. We wont know our actual housing assignments until the end of July.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:38 pm

macaw wrote:I have a feeling that some emails from Rutgers aren't getting to me. Can a couple of you guys confirm which were the last couple of emails that you guys received from Rutgers?

I have yet to receive any emails via myRutgers portal account. I am not requesting on campus housing so there may be a reason I haven't received any housing info. The last correspondance I received from Dean Walton was to my personal email address about early/late track preference and computer requirements (that was early June).

bayberrymoon

New

Post by bayberrymoon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:56 pm

-Buying at the bookstore
Do we know what books we have to buy yet? An email we got some time ago has a link to a webpage for the entering class, but it still doesn't work :?

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:11 am

macaw wrote:I have a feeling that some emails from Rutgers aren't getting to me. Can a couple of you guys confirm which were the last couple of emails that you guys received from Rutgers?

yea me too. I just emailed Dean Walton this week asking about in-state tuition for 12-month leasers (I signed a 12 month lease) and she hasn't responded yet to my Rutgers or personal e-mail accounts. Maybe she is on vacation? I guess it would make sense for her to take vacation now because next month I'm sure she'll be very busy. I'm going to e-mail Roberta Geddis who works in Law Admissions to ask her about it.

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:28 pm

bayberrymoon wrote:

-Buying at the bookstore
Do we know what books we have to buy yet? An email we got some time ago has a link to a webpage for the entering class, but it still doesn't work :?
I think when they update the new student link it will have our tracks, our sections and the required books. They're probably waiting until they have all of that info listed before they activate the link. I don't even see it on the law school homepage. I assume when the dean is back working (if she is in fact on vacay) things will start rolling--I think the end of this month will see more movement.

I just hope I can get out to NJ in enough time to get a lease signed. Otherwise I might have to sign for a place sight unseen just to get my in-state going.

Am I the only one that doesn't have a place to live in NJ yet? I may be the only homeless student in the c/o 2012. Does being homeless make you a URM?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:28 pm

Anyone know anything about the Society Hill area?
I'm looking at a townhouse there.

addendum boy

New

Post by addendum boy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 pm

dapoetic1 wrote:Anyone know anything about the Society Hill area?
Great area. Very secure community of townhouses. Very clean and maintained. 24 hour security dude drives around parking lot. A 10-minute walk to the law school. A safe walk. Down MLK and cut through the undergrad square right down to the law school.

You'll love it

dapoetic1

Bronze

Post by dapoetic1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:16 pm

addendum boy wrote:
dapoetic1 wrote:Anyone know anything about the Society Hill area?
Great area. Very secure community of townhouses. Very clean and maintained. 24 hour security dude drives around parking lot. A 10-minute walk to the law school. A safe walk. Down MLK and cut through the undergrad square right down to the law school.

You'll love it

Whoa! Wait...you can walk to the law school from there? Are we talking about the same area. I thought Society Hill was on the west side of Jersey City? The area I'm talking about is supposed to be just a bunch of townhouses, but I thought it was at least 6 or 7 miles from Newark.

EDIT: okay--there are 2 Society Hills. One is in Newark and the other is in Jersey City. Both are townhome communities. But it's good to know that the SH in Newark is still nice. If push comes to shove I know that's a decent area.
Thanks

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:18 pm

For those buying a computer...

I bought the 13" MacBook Pro. They offer $100 rebate on 'selected' printers. I ordered the Canon PIXMA MP480 which is a Color printer (including photos), scanner and a copy machine. I think it's a good little printer/scanner/copier. It's a $99 printer, and with the $100 rebate, you basically get it for free. It comes with 1 color and 1 black cartridge. But it does NOT come with a USB cable, so you have to buy one for $25 if you don't already have one. I been testing it out and it's a nice little machine. Here's the link to the product...

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... elid=17160

Also, I went to Staples to buy some printer paper and I ended up buying some school supplies, which I haven't done in about 12 years. Very strange. I got some pens, a ruler (I use rulers to read small text in books), some file folders and a few Sharpies. There was a sale on highlighters, but I didn't buy any because there was too much yellow in the packages. Before I left my job I stole a bunch of legal pads. :lol: So I'm good with those. I wonder if they have a suggested shopping list (other than text books)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”