Hastings Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
General Tso

Gold

Re: Hastings Class of 2012

Post by General Tso » Thu May 28, 2009 1:19 pm

jdub wrote:A non-UC, private tuition will NOT make Hastings worth it. Super annoying that this proposal comes less than 3 months before school is set to start.

What else worries me is that Dean Newton is pretty much done at Hastings and shipping off to Notre Dame. A situation like this is what Deans are for, isn't it???
Yes super annoying indeed. I have had misgivings about Hastings all along, yet I passed up UC Davis, Colorado, and a 2/3 scholly at San Diego. The 10%+ tuition hikes for the last 3 years straight are bad enough, but an $8,000+ permanent increase IN ADDITION to the yearly 10% increase could mean that we would be paying well over 45k in tuition by our 2L/3L years.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu May 28, 2009 1:25 pm

swheat wrote:
jdub wrote:A non-UC, private tuition will NOT make Hastings worth it. Super annoying that this proposal comes less than 3 months before school is set to start.

What else worries me is that Dean Newton is pretty much done at Hastings and shipping off to Notre Dame. A situation like this is what Deans are for, isn't it???
Yes super annoying indeed. I have had misgivings about Hastings all along, yet I passed up UC Davis, Colorado, and a 2/3 scholly at San Diego. The 10%+ tuition hikes for the last 3 years straight are bad enough, but an $8,000+ permanent increase IN ADDITION to the yearly 10% increase could mean that we would be paying well over 45k in tuition by our 2L/3L years.
swheat, i'm curious, why did you pass up davis? esp since col there is awfully cheap.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu May 28, 2009 1:32 pm

deadatheist wrote: swheat, i'm curious, why did you pass up davis? esp since col there is awfully cheap.
Well 2 reasons. First my girlfriend works in Fremont and she doesn't want to quit her job given the bad economy and everything. Second, I HATE the central valley, and am not crazy about Sacramento.

And also I was afraid of finishing bottom half at Davis and being stuck in Sacramento. If I do poorly and get stuck somewhere with a crappy job I'd rather it be in SF.

krazydawgindave

New

Post by krazydawgindave » Thu May 28, 2009 1:36 pm

I would be embarrassed to go to such a crap law school.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu May 28, 2009 1:41 pm

krazydawgindave wrote:I would be embarrassed to go to such a crap law school.
aww.

i dig.

i'm getting worried texts from my hastings 0l friends about these cuts. bad news travels fast!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu May 28, 2009 4:04 pm

swheat wrote:

If these cuts go through, I think Hastings will have to immediately raise tuition for 2010-11 to match peer private schools, and increase the class size by enough students to close the budget gap.

Does anyone know why Davis Law is not subject to the same budget cuts?

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Thu May 28, 2009 4:09 pm

im_blue wrote: Does anyone know why Davis Law is not subject to the same budget cuts?
Read the article: http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1 ... Law_School

"Although Hastings is a state school, it is separate from other University of California law centers and does not fall under the authority of the Board of Regents. The Legislature also considers its budget as a separate line item."

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu May 28, 2009 4:13 pm

jdub wrote:
im_blue wrote: Does anyone know why Davis Law is not subject to the same budget cuts?

"Although Hastings is a state school, it is separate from other University of California law centers and does not fall under the authority of the Board of Regents. The Legislature also considers its budget as a separate line item."
Thanks. Skimming = RC fail for me.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu May 28, 2009 4:13 pm

jdub wrote:

right, it's part of the foundation of hastings (and the reason why uc hastings is not say, uc san francisco but uc hastings). founder hastings said if you want my money and name (1) our school will be detached from the uc regents, (2) keep us by the courts, and (3) a direct member of my fam must remain on the board.

i think that's correct. gaauh, why do i know this if im not even admitted?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu May 28, 2009 4:17 pm

deadatheist wrote:
jdub wrote:

right, it's part of the foundation of hastings (and the reason why uc hastings is not say, uc san francisco but uc hastings). founder hastings said if you want my money and name (1) our school will be detached from the uc regents, (2) keep us by the courts, and (3) a direct member of my fam must remain on the board.

i think that's correct. gaauh, why do i know this if im not even admitted?
Is it just that Hastings is easier to pick on than the Regents? Otherwise I don't understand why Hastings is singled out to be cut entirely from the budget, while the other UC's are just getting reductions.

I say to hell with the dead old codger's wishes. They are stupid and antiquated...the conditions he set forth 150 years ago are now being used against Hastings to its detriment. I think old man Hastings would want what's best for his namesake, right?

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:51 pm

if they do implement the cuts, i hope another uc campus like ucsf incorporates hastings so we can keep our in state tuition. it's ludicrous to have a public institution with no public funding.

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Thu May 28, 2009 4:59 pm

this is getting me thinking about having a roommate now. anybody interested? pm me. i want to move from la in early to mid august.

sdeol1027

New

Post by sdeol1027 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:25 pm

I just emailed my state senator (who happens to be on the budget committee) about this Hastings budget cut issue. I really don't know if that was the appropriate thing to do, but I HAD to do something, right??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu May 28, 2009 6:27 pm

sdeol1027 wrote:I just emailed my state senator (who happens to be on the budget committee) about this Hastings budget cut issue. I really don't know if that was the appropriate thing to do, but I HAD to do something, right??
We should ALL be emailing our CA legislators asking them to vote against the Hastings budget cut.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 pm

sdeol1027 wrote:I just emailed my state senator (who happens to be on the budget committee) about this Hastings budget cut issue. I really don't know if that was the appropriate thing to do, but I HAD to do something, right??
i already emailed someone i know at the st capitol for more info... no word yet! good luck guys

sdeol1027

New

Post by sdeol1027 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:31 pm

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/yourleg.html

I used that site to find out who my legislators are.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu May 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Here's a cookie cutter email if anyone wants to borrow:
Dear Senator,

I would like to ask you to oppose the budget measure proposed by the Governor that would eliminate state support for the UC Hastings School of Law. UC Hastings is one of the leading law schools in California and has produced more leading judges and lawyers than any other Northern CA institution. I clearly understand the extreme budget difficulties faced by the state, yet the $10 million annual allotment for Hastings is relatively small compared to the many other budget items to be cut.

My ability to attend law school hinges on this decision. Indeed, if this measure passes, I do not believe I will able to afford the tuition at Hastings. I will likely be forced to wait another year and apply to a cheaper law school, possibly in another state. Please do not let this happen! Please vote against the UC Hastings budget cut!

Sincerely,
me

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Thu May 28, 2009 7:07 pm

swheat wrote:Here's a cookie cutter email if anyone wants to borrow:
Dear Senator,

I would like to ask you to oppose the budget measure proposed by the Governor that would eliminate state support for the UC Hastings School of Law. UC Hastings is one of the leading law schools in California and has produced more leading judges and lawyers than any other Northern CA institution. I clearly understand the extreme budget difficulties faced by the state, yet the $10 million annual allotment for Hastings is relatively small compared to the many other budget items to be cut.

My ability to attend law school hinges on this decision. Indeed, if this measure passes, I do not believe I will able to afford the tuition at Hastings. I will likely be forced to wait another year and apply to a cheaper law school, possibly in another state. Please do not let this happen! Please vote against the UC Hastings budget cut!

Sincerely,
me
Thats awesome swheat.

I might also suggest that those of you who aren't from SF might also want to send an additional letter to our SF representatives (you can do a zip code search for 94117 on the website someone posted above for Leland Yee and Mark Leno's contact info). Hastings is a historic San Francisco institution. Cutting it from the UC system could have a huge impact on the value of a Hastings degree. SF politicians should be especially attuned to this.

UCInfo

New

Post by UCInfo » Thu May 28, 2009 10:14 pm

im_blue wrote:Does anyone know why Davis Law is not subject to the same budget cuts?
As others mentioned, Hastings is outside the regents' control and gets its funding as a direct appropriation from Sacramento. But Davis nor any of the other UCs are going unscathed. The regents just approved a $34,000 resident tuition cost for UCD for 08-09, and they're planning a major hike to $40K in 09-10 and $43K in 10-11. Berkeley goes up to $47K in 10-11: --LinkRemoved--

And all of this was before the governor proposed even more cuts in UC this month. Dean Edley at Berkeley pushed for the hikes a few years ago as a way to insulate the UC law schools from state budget cuts, but I don't think he expected it to get as bad as this.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu May 28, 2009 11:03 pm

UCInfo wrote:
im_blue wrote:Does anyone know why Davis Law is not subject to the same budget cuts?
As others mentioned, Hastings is outside the regents' control and gets its funding as a direct appropriation from Sacramento. But Davis nor any of the other UCs are going unscathed. The regents just approved a $34,000 resident tuition cost for UCD for 08-09, and they're planning a major hike to $40K in 09-10 and $43K in 10-11. Berkeley goes up to $47K in 10-11: --LinkRemoved--

And all of this was before the governor proposed even more cuts in UC this month. Dean Edley at Berkeley pushed for the hikes a few years ago as a way to insulate the UC law schools from state budget cuts, but I don't think he expected it to get as bad as this.
Hey UCInfo, could you please repost that link? It doesn't work for me and I'm very interested to read it.

UCInfo

New

Post by UCInfo » Fri May 29, 2009 3:08 am

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:29 am

those proposed tuition rates are pretty scary. regardless of what happens with the govinator's proposed budget, it's likely we'll be paying >$40k for 3L year. its just a matter of whether we'll be in mid to high 30's or low 40's for 2L year.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Fri May 29, 2009 2:36 pm

Regardless of the cuts, UCH will still technically stay a public school, correct? My VA benefits better not get removed...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri May 29, 2009 2:47 pm

jawsome wrote:Regardless of the cuts, UCH will still technically stay a public school, correct? My VA benefits better not get removed...
Hopefully it will remain a UC school, but with its state funding eliminated who knows? Apparently there have been attempts in the past to completely privatize Hastings.

Hastings should have joined the Regents a long time ago, then this wouldnt be happening.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Fri May 29, 2009 3:14 pm

swheat wrote:
jawsome wrote:Regardless of the cuts, UCH will still technically stay a public school, correct? My VA benefits better not get removed...
Hopefully it will remain a UC school, but with its state funding eliminated who knows? Apparently there have been attempts in the past to completely privatize Hastings.

Hastings should have joined the Regents a long time ago, then this wouldnt be happening.
I can't imagine that budget cuts would render it a private institution but...god I hope not. I think I'm going to call UCD to see if their offer still stands. Doubtful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”