Hastings Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jdub

New

Re: Hastings Class of 2012

Post by jdub » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:51 pm

jawsome wrote:Awesome news, leron.

I can't believe this hasn't been brought up, and I'd like everyone's input: does anyone else think the cost of living averages given by UCH are drastically inflated?

http://www.uchastings.edu/financial-aid ... .html]Link

SF is definitely an expensive city but I think their personal expenses and food average are ridiculous. I know transportation varies quite a lot between everyone but I don't know how I could spend over $100 every month on transportation even if I tried. That would require riding the BART and/or busses every single day.
I was actually just looking at this the other day, and was freaking out in the opposite direction. I don't think the transportation costs are too high if you have a car. Right now I spend $150/month (on top of my rent) for a space in the garage of my apartment building and thats considered a good deal. My girlfriend in the inner sunset pays $250 for her space. If you don't rent a garage and park on the street, you still need a city permit in most neighborhoods ($76/year). Then you also have to pay for new windows when your car gets broken into, which will happen. Then there's the $75 parking tickets... and I don't care how responsible you think you are, you'll get them. Mark my words.

If you don't have a car, you'll need a muni pass ($65/month is a better deal than $2 each way to ride the bus every day), and most of my friends that don't own cars still end up needing to use Zip Car once or twice a month for grocery shopping or to get to Target or for whatever other errands require a car ($20 for a hour). One round trip to Berkeley on Bart is $7...

If you don't plan on riding the bus every day, how are you planning on getting to school? I guess if you're living in the Tower and have no life outside of the Tenderloin you don't need to worry, but for everyone else I don't see how you'd survive without daily bus trips.

The $1200 apartment allowance seems really low to me, unless you're living in the Tower or in a super iffy part of the Tenderloin/"lower nob hill". Right now, I'm looking to move from my $1500 studio ($1500 not counting the $150 for the garage) in Nopa to a 2-bedroom to share with a roomie in the Alamo Square/Upper Market/Hayes Valley areas (these are decent, not swanky neighborhoods, and close to Hastings). I'm not finding anything too livable under $2100 (note, I've been out of school for a while; maybe my view of whats 'livable' is skewed. But really. I live in a 350sf studio in a 100-year old building right now. Its not like I'm pampered). Factor in internet, utilities, and my $70/month cell phone bill and I'm definitely over the $1200 mark.

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 pm

readereader wrote:
That high transportation cost would also require riding the BART or bus all the way to school every day. For all the hills and personal safety issues, a person could walk part of the way to shorten the BART ride, making their BART ticket cheaper (the bus is generally a flat fare, though) and getting a little exercise, particularly in the morning on your way TO school when it's light out (safer in the TL). There is only a very brief time of the year when the weather would make that truly unpleasant.
I think I have to disagree with this. Bus rates are flat fares, its $2 each way (starting next month) whether you ride for one stop or ride all over the city. Plus, its already a 10 minute walk from civic center to Hastings. To get off at a downtown bart station like montgomery would require you to walk 30 minutes and only save you like $1.

I also disagree with your weather comment, but I am totally a huge wimp.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:35 pm

jdub wrote:

I can't believe this hasn't been brought up, and I'd like everyone's input: does anyone else think the cost of living averages given by UCH are drastically inflated?

SF is definitely an expensive city but I think their personal expenses and food average are ridiculous. I know transportation varies quite a lot between everyone but I don't know how I could spend over $100 every month on transportation even if I tried. That would require riding the BART and/or busses every single day.
I was actually just looking at this the other day, and was freaking out in the opposite direction. I don't think the transportation costs are too high if you have a car.

The $1200 apartment allowance seems really low to me, unless you're living in the Tower or in a super iffy part of the Tenderloin/"lower nob hill". Right now, I'm looking to move from my $1500 studio ($1500 not counting the $150 for the garage) in Nopa to a 2-bedroom to share with a roomie in the Alamo Square/Upper Market/Hayes Valley areas (these are decent, not swanky neighborhoods, and close to Hastings). I'm not finding anything too livable under $2100 (note, I've been out of school for a while; maybe my view of whats 'livable' is skewed. But really. I live in a 350sf studio in a 100-year old building right now. Its not like I'm pampered). Factor in internet, utilities, and my $70/month cell phone bill and I'm definitely over the $1200 mark.
Yeah, I understand that for some people transportation costs would be dramatically different. But as you noted, some of us (such as myself), will be living in the Tower, which makes necessary transportation costs $0. I'll be biking just about everywhere in SF I need to go (i.e., going out on weekends, visiting friends), and taking the BART is only really necessary to go to the East Bay or SFO when flying home. Having a car really seems like more of an inconvenience than a convenience in SF...are you sure you want/need to keep it?

As for living expenses, yeah, it seems possibly a little bit low. A lot of SF is crazy expensive, but there are definitely livable places for $700-800, they're just hard to find. I'm planning on living outside of the Tower for my 2L so hopefully I'm not being too optimistic!

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:10 pm

jawsome wrote:
jdub wrote:

I was actually just looking at this the other day, and was freaking out in the opposite direction. I don't think the transportation costs are too high if you have a car.

Yeah, I understand that for some people transportation costs would be dramatically different. But as you noted, some of us (such as myself), will be living in the Tower, which makes necessary transportation costs $0. I'll be biking just about everywhere in SF I need to go (i.e., going out on weekends, visiting friends), and taking the BART is only really necessary to go to the East Bay or SFO when flying home. Having a car really seems like more of an inconvenience than a convenience in SF...are you sure you want/need to keep it?

As for living expenses, yeah, it seems possibly a little bit low. A lot of SF is crazy expensive, but there are definitely livable places for $700-800, they're just hard to find. I'm planning on living outside of the Tower for my 2L so hopefully I'm not being too optimistic!
Yeah, living in the Tower, or anywhere in the TL will cut down on your costs dramatically, but I just don't have it in me. There are definitely not livable places for $700-$800. I totally challenge you to prove otherwise. ;) Maybe you're thinking of Oakland or Berkeley? Definitely not in the City.

I will definitely be getting rid of my car once I quit my job at the end of July (counting the days), but I have a feeling there will a lot of students from out of Town that don't believe they can live without one. I have a feeling they won't feel that way for long though...

EEEEEH

New

Post by EEEEEH » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:03 pm

yah right. you totally can find a room for 7-8 hundred if you can live well with others. if any hot chicks want some outlinage hit me up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

readereader

New

Post by readereader » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:05 pm

jdub wrote:
readereader wrote:
That high transportation cost would also require riding the BART or bus all the way to school every day. For all the hills and personal safety issues, a person could walk part of the way to shorten the BART ride, making their BART ticket cheaper (the bus is generally a flat fare, though) and getting a little exercise, particularly in the morning on your way TO school when it's light out (safer in the TL). There is only a very brief time of the year when the weather would make that truly unpleasant.
I think I have to disagree with this. Bus rates are flat fares, its $2 each way (starting next month) whether you ride for one stop or ride all over the city. Plus, its already a 10 minute walk from civic center to Hastings. To get off at a downtown bart station like montgomery would require you to walk 30 minutes and only save you like $1.

I also disagree with your weather comment, but I am totally a huge wimp.
LOL - I can't argue with you about the weather... that's a matter of opinion.

As for the rest of it, saving $1 a day on transportation and raising the deductible on your car insurance by $200 makes about a $400 savings in a year. The little things add up. I'm not saying walking is going to mean you won't have to worry about money; I'm just trying to make the point that you can always find wiggle room in the budget. I guess it's just a matter of how much you need to cut out.
Last edited by readereader on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:13 pm

EEEEEH wrote:yah right. you totally can find a room for 7-8 hundred if you can live well with others. if any hot chicks want some outlinage hit me up.
If by 'live well with others' you really mean 'live with 5 other people crammed into a 3 or 4 bedroom house in the Outer Sunset', then yes. You are probably right.

beckysoc24

New

Post by beckysoc24 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:43 pm

Found an adorable place in Oakland for a lot less than anyplace I was finding anywhere in the city. still expensive though. Will be taking BART to school. If the commute drives me crazy, I might reconsider living in the city at some point. I'm pretty dead-set on keeping my car though. And I've lived in the bay area before so I know that you do not need one if you live in SF, and it is more trouble than it's worth to have one there.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:16 am

jdub wrote:
jawsome wrote:
jdub wrote:

Yeah, living in the Tower, or anywhere in the TL will cut down on your costs dramatically, but I just don't have it in me. There are definitely not livable places for $700-$800. I totally challenge you to prove otherwise. ;) Maybe you're thinking of Oakland or Berkeley? Definitely not in the City.

I will definitely be getting rid of my car once I quit my job at the end of July (counting the days), but I have a feeling there will a lot of students from out of Town that don't believe they can live without one. I have a feeling they won't feel that way for long though...
I have friends who have lived in SF while paying $600-800 for their own rooms. Lots of luck for the most part, though. In Oakland it's easily possible but Berkeley really isn't that much cheaper.

If anyone thinks they can't live without a car in SF they are...ridiculous. I DREADED ever having to drive and/or find parking to SF when I lived in Berkeley. And paying $200-300 for parking spots to use your car maybe once or twice a week? Such a waste of $.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:20 am

it's tough for me to leave my car here in la, but i think the parking costs and vehicle safety issues in the city make any alternative seem impractical. i do think i'll enjoy walking around though. don't get to do much of that around here.

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:27 am

i'll be leaving my car in la also. it's hard giving it up after so many years where you just can't live without it. sf's density should make it a lot easier.

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:37 pm

is anybody else deferring student loans? if so, do you know who the person to contact for sign off at hastings is? i checked the website for a registrar, but couldn't find any.

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:23 pm

leron wrote:is anybody else deferring student loans? if so, do you know who the person to contact for sign off at hastings is? i checked the website for a registrar, but couldn't find any.
records@uchastings.edu

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:04 am

In case you haven't seen this. UC Hastings has a good chance of closing in the next 5 years.

--LinkRemoved--

law0000

New

Post by law0000 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Danteshek wrote:In case you haven't seen this. UC Hastings has a good chance of closing in the next 5 years.

--LinkRemoved--

Whoah! Do you have anything to substantiate this beside the link provided? I don't know how you read that and then jumped to the conclusion that "UC Hastings has a good chance of closing". And, "in the next 5 years"? How do you figure? Anyways, it's my understanding that your source is dated. Please read the article below.

--LinkRemoved--

I don't mean to be rude and if there is something you have heard or read elsewhere, I truly would like to know. Please post it here or PM me. If not, though, please be more careful about what you post.

To those of you who are concerned, there are some threads here devoted entirely to CA budget issues and how it will likely affect the UC professional schools. I'm pretty sure you can find them by searching "UC Hastings" or "UC Regents". If you have trouble finding them, let me know and I'll post the links here.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Danteshek wrote:In case you haven't seen this. UC Hastings has a good chance of closing in the next 5 years.

--LinkRemoved--
Please share any additional details with me as well. I need to make my final decision fast.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Has anyone received their residency decision yet? They received my app on 6/2 and I haven't gotten my decision yet. Do they send an email? Is there any way to tell from the Webadvisor? I hate to keep bugging the residency guy by calling 2x per week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:59 pm

--LinkRemoved--
Oh stop. That is not true.

BiologyGirl

New

Post by BiologyGirl » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:30 pm

This is the way CA works. No one likes budget cuts, so what they do is make it sound really scary. Then when they make cuts, it does not seem as bad. It's the crappy politics of CA, nothing to get super freaked out by.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:15 pm

swheat wrote:Has anyone received their residency decision yet? They received my app on 6/2 and I haven't gotten my decision yet. Do they send an email? Is there any way to tell from the Webadvisor? I hate to keep bugging the residency guy by calling 2x per week.
Bump

beckysoc24

New

Post by beckysoc24 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:23 pm

swheat wrote:
swheat wrote:Has anyone received their residency decision yet? They received my app on 6/2 and I haven't gotten my decision yet. Do they send an email? Is there any way to tell from the Webadvisor? I hate to keep bugging the residency guy by calling 2x per week.
Bump

I got that "urgent reminder" email a few weeks ago and I called to make sure they had gotten my paperwork. The guy was able to tell me right away over the phone that I was approved. I never got any emails saying anything though. And all I can see on webadvisor is that they received it. Sorry, I know that's not much help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EEEEEH

New

Post by EEEEEH » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 pm

jdub wrote:
EEEEEH wrote:yah right. you totally can find a room for 7-8 hundred if you can live well with others. if any hot chicks want some outlinage hit me up.
If by 'live well with others' you really mean 'live with 5 other people crammed into a 3 or 4 bedroom house in the Outer Sunset', then yes. You are probably right.

tons of rooms on craigslist in that range in many places, including loin, portero hill, nob hill, hayes valley, etcetera etcetera. yall have to live with others. rent is down like now, just like the economy, and your momma of course.

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:02 pm

EEEEEH wrote:
jdub wrote:

tons of rooms on craigslist in that range in many places, including loin, portero hill, nob hill, hayes valley, etcetera etcetera. yall have to live with others. rent is down like now, just like the economy, and your momma of course.
Well, maybe if I was 22, and a dude, and the kind of dude that writes things like "if any hot chicks want outlinage hit me up", then renting a $700 room in the loin would seem a viable option. But sadly for me, I fall into none of those categories.

But I did just snatch up a $2000 2 bedroom off Alamo Square an hour after it went up on Craigs List this weekend so I'm super excited! Now just counting the days until I can sell the car...

EEEEEH

New

Post by EEEEEH » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:09 pm

jdub wrote:
EEEEEH wrote:
jdub wrote:

Well, maybe if I was 22, and a dude, and the kind of dude that writes things like "if any hot chicks want outlinage hit me up", then renting a $700 room in the loin would seem a viable option. But sadly for me, I fall into none of those categories.

But I did just snatch up a $2000 2 bedroom off Alamo Square an hour after it went up on Craigs List this weekend so I'm super excited! Now just counting the days until I can sell the car...
if you were me, you would be set. but your not. enjoy the median.

anastasia

New

Post by anastasia » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 pm

I'm thinking about the UCSF Mission Bay housing. Anyone has thoughts on this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”