Hastings Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mnolen

Bronze

Re: Hastings Class of 2012

Post by mnolen » Fri May 29, 2009 3:18 pm

jawsome wrote:Regardless of the cuts, UCH will still technically stay a public school, correct? My VA benefits better not get removed...

Now totally scared of this also. :?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri May 29, 2009 3:21 pm

jawsome wrote:
swheat wrote:
jawsome wrote:Regardless of the cuts, UCH will still technically stay a public school, correct? My VA benefits better not get removed...
Hopefully it will remain a UC school, but with its state funding eliminated who knows? Apparently there have been attempts in the past to completely privatize Hastings.

Hastings should have joined the Regents a long time ago, then this wouldnt be happening.
I can't imagine that budget cuts would render it a private institution but...god I hope not. I think I'm going to call UCD to see if their offer still stands. Doubtful.
I am doubtful that UCD would take us back

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Fri May 29, 2009 3:35 pm

mnolen wrote:

I just can't imagine that budget cuts would render it private--de jure, that is. It would require much more than that. And as far as that goes, I think VA benefits will be legally upheld and required.

If not, I don't know what I'm going to do. More than half the reason I wanted to go to UCH was because it would be so cheap for me due to my VA benefits. If those get taken away, UCH would not be worth it at all, especially with the proposed budgets for the next few years.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri May 29, 2009 6:57 pm

http://www.dof.ca.gov/budget/historical ... pdates.pdf

Bottom of page 3:
Eliminate Funding for Hastings College of Law--Reduces to the minimum level
prescribed in statute (EC 92212) without having to pay back to the heirs of S.C. Hastings,
with accumulated interest, the original $100,000 bequest.
So if the state wants to completely cut Hastings off, it would have to repay old man Hasting's family the 100k+interest. I did a quick compound interest calculation:

100k over 131 years compounded quarterly @ 5.00% = $67,142,376

So not likely that it will get totally privatized, but it IS likely that the tuition will be much higher.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Fri May 29, 2009 7:04 pm

swheat wrote:http://www.dof.ca.gov/budget/historical ... pdates.pdf

Bottom of page 3:
prescribed in statute (EC 92212) without having to pay back to the heirs of S.C. Hastings,
So if the state wants to completely cut Hastings off, it would have to repay old man Hasting's family the 100k+interest. I did a quick compound interest calculation:

So not likely that it will get totally privatized, but it IS likely that the tuition will be much higher.
interesting. i think my vote goes to #22... much of the rehab/education programs are done by comp volunteer services anyways. and what we spend on prisons here in ca is embarrassing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mnolen

Bronze

Post by mnolen » Fri May 29, 2009 7:40 pm

jawsome wrote:
mnolen wrote:

I just can't imagine that budget cuts would render it private--de jure, that is. It would require much more than that. And as far as that goes, I think VA benefits will be legally upheld and required.

If not, I don't know what I'm going to do. More than half the reason I wanted to go to UCH was because it would be so cheap for me due to my VA benefits. If those get taken away, UCH would not be worth it at all, especially with the proposed budgets for the next few years.

Same. I'm really hoping your right. It seems like it would take a LOT for Hastings to go private.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Sat May 30, 2009 9:51 am

swheat wrote:http://www.dof.ca.gov/budget/historical ... pdates.pdf

Bottom of page 3:

THANK YOU. I was looking for hours for this kind of info, and just couldn't find it. Like I said previously, I can't imagine cuts would make UCH privatized. But like others said, I'm sure tuition is going to be much higher.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Sun May 31, 2009 2:06 pm

again, yes we don't know why i care since hastings won't have me, but since i'm following all this too...

i posted this elsewhere, but check this and its comments (ugh) from the bee today:
--LinkRemoved--

here's the actual 09-10 proposed budget for hastings. lots of the details in case you were wondering specifics. click away:

--LinkRemoved--

law0000

New

Post by law0000 » Sun May 31, 2009 6:35 pm

deadatheist wrote:again, yes we don't know why i care since hastings won't have me, but since i'm following all this too...

i posted this elsewhere, but check this and its comments (ugh) from the bee today:
--LinkRemoved--

here's the actual 09-10 proposed budget for hastings. lots of the details in case you were wondering specifics. click away:

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks for keeping all the Hastings and Hastings hopefuls informed. I've read a lot of your posts and hope you get in. Maybe all this budget stuff will fair in your favor (as far as getting in goes). As someone who has accepted a seat, I am fairly concerned about the $24,000 extra, the interest on that $24,000 and the quality of the Hastings program after all this budget stuff is said and done. (This is all assuming the $8,000 loss per student will be reflected in tuition.) I'm going to call/email Hastings tomorrow to see what I can find out. I'm probably overreacting and will feel just fine in a few days but I imagine there are those who may jump ship for another school if state funding is lost.

CA is in this deep :(

Edit: typos

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law0000

New

Post by law0000 » Sun May 31, 2009 7:51 pm

PS I'm presently gathering documents and filling out my CA residency forms, hoping I'm not charged the $150 late fee. This is depressing as "in state tuition" may be a thing of the past.

east coast options are looking good...

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Any news on the Hastings front today? I haven't seen any new articles other than this commentary:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 17SV73.DTL

beckysoc24

New

Post by beckysoc24 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:11 pm

swheat wrote:Any news on the Hastings front today? I haven't seen any new articles other than this commentary:

That's all I've seen today too. I was thinking about calling, but decided not to just yet.

kimins

New

Post by kimins » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:36 pm

swheat wrote:
jawsome wrote:
swheat wrote:
Hopefully it will remain a UC school, but with its state funding eliminated who knows? Apparently there have been attempts in the past to completely privatize Hastings.

Hastings should have joined the Regents a long time ago, then this wouldnt be happening.
I can't imagine that budget cuts would render it a private institution but...god I hope not. I think I'm going to call UCD to see if their offer still stands. Doubtful.
LOL- I was thinking the exact same thing.....I think we are all now blacklisted at UCD.....and what makes me angry is that the politicians that LOVE cutting back on education have kids that attend the BEST schools so they obtain the BEST possible education but when it comes to the public, they are more than happy to hack into our education..oh let's cut back on the only thing that will better our society, right?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! next time there is an article stating how we lack behind other developing countries, we will know why....lack of funding seriously deters many intelligent ppl from pursuing higher eduction...anyways, ill stop rambling and keep my fingers crossed! what can you do anyway when your governor only has a h.s. education....i'm so mad at everyone i knew that voted for him!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law0000

New

Post by law0000 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:11 pm

beckysoc24 wrote:
swheat wrote:Any news on the Hastings front today? I haven't seen any new articles other than this commentary:

That's all I've seen today too. I was thinking about calling, but decided not to just yet.

Me too. I decided to show the poor admissions office a bit of mercy. plus, I feel I'll get more/better info if I wait just a bit. I'll certainly share here if I discover anything.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:14 pm

kimins wrote:
swheat wrote:
LOL- I was thinking the exact same thing.....I think we are all now blacklisted at UCD.....and what makes me angry is that the politicians that LOVE cutting back on education have kids that attend the BEST schools so they obtain the BEST possible education but when it comes to the public, they are more than happy to hack into our education..oh let's cut back on the only thing that will better our society, right?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! next time there is an article stating how we lack behind other developing countries, we will know why....lack of funding seriously deters many intelligent ppl from pursuing higher eduction...anyways, ill stop rambling and keep my fingers crossed! what can you do anyway when your governor only has a h.s. education....i'm so mad at everyone i knew that voted for him!
I am sure that UCD has been flooded with requests for reinstatement in the C/O 2012 over the last 48 hours. Apparently the word is that UCD was already full prior to this fiasco. Hence, they will likely tell everyone they are SOL. I am thinking a return to the WL at best.

In any event, UCD may not fare much better in the long run. The Sacramento Bee article hints that ALL UC professional schools will possibly be privatized, and the 2011-2012 in state tuition at UCD was expected to be $43,000 BEFORE this latest budget crisis.

On a side note, could anyone in their right mind even CONSIDER paying 33k tuition at a CSU MBA program? The dean at the Sac State MBA seemed pretty giddy that he would soon be able to charge 33k instead of 10k tuition. Now THAT is a terrible investment....70k + living expenses for a degree that will likely yield a 50-60k salary.

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:49 pm

swheat wrote:
kimins wrote:
swheat wrote:
I am sure that UCD has been flooded with requests for reinstatement in the C/O 2012 over the last 48 hours. Apparently the word is that UCD was already full prior to this fiasco. Hence, they will likely tell everyone they are SOL. I am thinking a return to the WL at best.

In any event, UCD may not fare much better in the long run. The Sacramento Bee article hints that ALL UC professional schools will possibly be privatized, and the 2011-2012 in state tuition at UCD was expected to be $43,000 BEFORE this latest budget crisis.

On a side note, could anyone in their right mind even CONSIDER paying 33k tuition at a CSU MBA program? The dean at the Sac State MBA seemed pretty giddy that he would soon be able to charge 33k instead of 10k tuition. Now THAT is a terrible investment....70k + living expenses for a degree that will likely yield a 50-60k salary.
in terms of tuition, it's not like you'd be that much better off at ucd. in their budget proposal the regents are setting 09-10 fees at $34,005, 10-11 fees at 39,992 and 11-12 fees at 43,712.

jdub

New

Post by jdub » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Tangential, but... does anyone know where we are supposed to send our health forms? Since there's no address on any of the forms, or on the Health Services page from which you download the forms, I'm assuming I just send it ATTN HEALTH SERVICE and the 200 McAllister address... but if anyone has better info, or actually saw directions somewhere, please point me.

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:13 pm

UC Hastings College of the Law
Student Health Services
200 McAllister Street, Suite 202
San Francisco, CA 94102

readereader

New

Post by readereader » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:27 pm

vb007 wrote:
swheat wrote:
kimins wrote:
swheat wrote:

in terms of tuition, it's not like you'd be that much better off at ucd. in their budget proposal the regents are setting 09-10 fees at $34,005, 10-11 fees at 39,992 and 11-12 fees at 43,712.
In an attempt to try to forget about the insanely high tuition that I can't do anything about (and staying at my job and foregoing law school is not an option - for those of you worrying about it, let's just remember that it's still easier to get student loans than a new job in this market; we can always just hope against hope that things will be better in three years), I am planning the three weeks I'm taking off between quitting my job (which I'm partly excited about, but SO sad to leave my boss who I adore and who has made me want to be a lawyer because he is fabulous in just about every way - except not offering me benefits, which was why I started looking into law school in the first place...I started out just figuring I would become a paralegal) and starting school. I have a list of books and movies (my last fictional hurrah before three years of casenotes and dissenting opinions) a mile and a half long, and the route down the scenic highway plotted out all the way from San Francisco to San Diego.

Does anyone else have exciting plans for the time between now and mid-August?

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:57 am

Everyone else get that email about the budget cuts?

snippet: "While it is too early to tell what impact this proposal, if passed, will have on this year’s tuition and fees, all financial aid awards, scholarships and grants, will remain intact. In the event that fees need to be increased, the amount of the increase will be added to your student budget, creating additional loan eligibility. At that time you will receive a revised award letter and have the opportunity to accept or decline the additional loan."

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:58 am

mnolen wrote:

I talked with my local VA office and they said the proposed budget cuts will not affect CALVET benefits. They're provided for with bonds and are legally mandated, so I think we're safe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:17 pm

So this must be why no one was picking up at the fin. aid office today: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1

And possibly why the site hasn't been working...?

leron

Bronze

Post by leron » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:25 pm

some good news about the proposed budget cuts:

--LinkRemoved--

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:50 pm

Awesome news, leron.

I can't believe this hasn't been brought up, and I'd like everyone's input: does anyone else think the cost of living averages given by UCH are drastically inflated?

http://www.uchastings.edu/financial-aid ... .html]Link

SF is definitely an expensive city but I think their personal expenses and food average are ridiculous. I know transportation varies quite a lot between everyone but I don't know how I could spend over $100 every month on transportation even if I tried. That would require riding the BART and/or busses every single day.

readereader

New

Post by readereader » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:17 pm

jawsome wrote:Awesome news, leron.

I can't believe this hasn't been brought up, and I'd like everyone's input: does anyone else think the cost of living averages given by UCH are drastically inflated?

http://www.uchastings.edu/financial-aid ... .html]Link

SF is definitely an expensive city but I think their personal expenses and food average are ridiculous. I know transportation varies quite a lot between everyone but I don't know how I could spend over $100 every month on transportation even if I tried. That would require riding the BART and/or busses every single day.
That high transportation cost would also require riding the BART or bus all the way to school every day. For all the hills and personal safety issues, a person could walk part of the way to shorten the BART ride, making their BART ticket cheaper (the bus is generally a flat fare, though) and getting a little exercise, particularly in the morning on your way TO school when it's light out (safer in the TL). There is only a very brief time of the year when the weather would make that truly unpleasant. A fifteen-twenty minute walk each day would be good for anyone spending all their other time bent over a laptop/textbook. San Francisco is very much a city of walkers/bikers, and that's the best way to get to know this beautiful city. Similarly there are lots of ways to cut costs in daily life. Carpool when you leave the city, forego fancy cable and just get a netflix subscription (no time for tv anyway!), share a Costco membership with someone and divvy up the bulk foods you buy. Just make a budget and stick to it. It's just like real life - there are almost always ways to cut back. For birthdays/holidays, ask your parents for gift cards to the bookstore or wherever you plan on getting textbooks from, instead of asking for whatever you would normally want. People survive on a lot less than most of us are making do with, even in San Francisco. We get free/inexpensive basic health care at the student health center, we have a free gym to use - we're really very well taken care of for all our griping.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”