NOTRE DAME CLASS OF 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
malagueno

New

Re: NOTRE DAME CLASS OF 2012

Post by malagueno » Fri May 15, 2009 3:04 pm

kholmha wrote:i was just wondering if if it was because i had expressed an interest in a specific type of law in my PS. also, i don' t know what to say back because he is a 1L professor. obviously i have to answer, right? just say thanks?
That doesn't hurt my feelings quite so much then. It can't hurt to send back a brief thank you email. I would take the chance to begin establishing networking links. Who knows how that professor might be able to help you in the future.

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Fri May 15, 2009 3:34 pm

malagueno wrote: That doesn't hurt my feelings quite so much then. It can't hurt to send back a brief thank you email. I would take the chance to begin establishing networking links. Who knows how that professor might be able to help you in the future.
This.

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Fri May 15, 2009 10:52 pm

kholmha wrote:i was just wondering if if it was because i had expressed an interest in a specific type of law in my PS. also, i don' t know what to say back because he is a 1L professor. obviously i have to answer, right? just say thanks?
Who was it? Blakey? Bellia?

And definitely respond. Some things you might do will require references or LORs from professors, so it's good to do whatever you can to establish a good relationship.

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Sun May 17, 2009 6:46 pm

I don't know how many of you saw the commencement exercises today on TV and I don't want to get into any of the controversies in this forum around it but there was one man who spoke who floored me.

The President of Notre Dame.

His intro for the POTUS was fantastic and made me really excited to be part of that community.

Going to pick an apartment this Thursday. Need to buy more Irish gear. :lol:

kholmha

New

Post by kholmha » Sun May 17, 2009 7:32 pm

dantimreynolds wrote:I don't know how many of you saw the commencement exercises today on TV and I don't want to get into any of the controversies in this forum around it but there was one man who spoke who floored me.

His intro for the POTUS was fantastic and made me really excited to be part of that community.

i didn't see the commencement exercises, but it does make me sad that so many people protested.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Sun May 17, 2009 7:59 pm

kholmha wrote:
dantimreynolds wrote:I don't know how many of you saw the commencement exercises today on TV and I don't want to get into any of the controversies in this forum around it but there was one man who spoke who floored me.

i didn't see the commencement exercises, but it does make me sad that so many people protested.
Unfortunately its things like this that make me think twice about ND as my school of choice but I guess it doesn't matter much at this point.

darkknight2000

New

Post by darkknight2000 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:04 pm

gogators wrote:
kholmha wrote:

Unfortunately its things like this that make me think twice about ND as my school of choice but I guess it doesn't matter much at this point.
Why is that? I mean protests are a normal thing at any school. I'm sure there were protestors at schools when George W. Bush spoke at them. So I'm not seeing the big deal here.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Sun May 17, 2009 8:10 pm

darkknight2000 wrote:
gogators wrote:
kholmha wrote:

Why is that? I mean protests are a normal thing at any school. I'm sure there were protestors at schools when George W. Bush spoke at them. So I'm not seeing the big deal here.

True, but 40 something people don't usually get arrested. Also, he is the ninth President to receive an honorary degree with some of those being Pro choice. However, I applaud the University for sticking to their guns and remaining an institution above politics and remaining an institution of learning.

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Sun May 17, 2009 9:17 pm

gogators wrote:
kholmha wrote:

Did you listen to both Presidents speeches. If you listen to the pres of ND you're hesitations will lessen.

I feel like alot of the noise was made outside of the community. Sure there was some within, but that was better tempered noise and more respectful and therefore a lot less fun to cover. That kind of dissent btw, should always be encouraged....which the school did. By allowing the protest to be held in one of the spiritual centers of campus.

When I look at how ND handled this, I was very impressed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

longhornem

New

Post by longhornem » Sun May 17, 2009 10:58 pm

None of those people who got arrested were students as far as I know - they were people like Alan Keyes, Norma McCorvey (aka Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade, who is now a pro-life activist), and Randall Terry (the ringleader of all this). And apparently there were only 30-40 students expected at the alternate protest ceremony held at the grotto, and I saw only about 5 people in the crowd with the "protest" symbol on their caps. It's definitely not something that is a huge deal among students, especially to the extent that they wouldn't go to their own graduation. You shouldn't worry.

And yes, I did think Fr. Jenkins' speech was perfect.

udlordly

New

Post by udlordly » Mon May 18, 2009 6:22 pm

So what's the story about housing at ND, do most law students live in the on-campus grad housing or find off-campus apartments?

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Tue May 19, 2009 2:18 am

udlordly wrote:So what's the story about housing at ND, do most law students live in the on-campus grad housing or find off-campus apartments?
I hear it's about half and half. From what I hear, Fischer is the best for on-campus housing, but isn't easy to get into.
I'm not a big fan of living on campus for a variety of reasons, so I'll be sharing a condo near ND with some hippie.

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Tue May 19, 2009 8:46 am

has anyone who was recently accepted figured out the financial aid stuff? to out myself, i'm new to fin aid, so i have no idea what i'm doing. I filled out the FAFSA in January, and had my info sent to Notre Dame, so they should have it. Do I need to do anything else? sorry for my stupid question!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Tue May 19, 2009 8:56 am

h2ho wrote:has anyone who was recently accepted figured out the financial aid stuff? to out myself, i'm new to fin aid, so i have no idea what i'm doing. I filled out the FAFSA in January, and had my info sent to Notre Dame, so they should have it. Do I need to do anything else? sorry for my stupid question!
H2ho-

I was let in off the WL with a letter dated May 7th. I then got a second letter dated May 12th letting me know about the Stafford loans I have been approved for and asking whether or not I would accept them.

Hope that helps!

Esquires09

New

Post by Esquires09 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:14 am

h2ho wrote:has anyone who was recently accepted figured out the financial aid stuff? to out myself, i'm new to fin aid, so i have no idea what i'm doing. I filled out the FAFSA in January, and had my info sent to Notre Dame, so they should have it. Do I need to do anything else? sorry for my stupid question!
They are probably preparing your financial aid award. I called to ask them about mine, and then I received it in four days. That might work for you too. At Notre Dame, the award will list your scholarship amount, your subsidized Stafford and unsubsidized Stafford. It likely will not account for the entire cost of attendance, and you will need to borrow from a private lender or from Graduate Plus.

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 am

thanks dan and esquires-- i'll probably give them a call today :-)

kholmha

New

Post by kholmha » Tue May 19, 2009 10:27 am

also, you are going to have to fill out the MPN for the stafford loans, and choose a lender.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Tue May 19, 2009 10:43 am

MPN?

kholmha

New

Post by kholmha » Tue May 19, 2009 10:46 am

master promissory note. at least i hope those documents i sent to chase were for a reason.

edgarderby

Bronze

Post by edgarderby » Tue May 19, 2009 1:17 pm

ubermensch wrote:
udlordly wrote:So what's the story about housing at ND, do most law students live in the on-campus grad housing or find off-campus apartments?
I hear it's about half and half. From what I hear, Fischer is the best for on-campus housing, but isn't easy to get into.
I'm not a big fan of living on campus for a variety of reasons, so I'll be sharing a condo near ND with some hippie.
I didn't like it that much, but if you're looking for housing this late, it might be the best option you have. Just make sure you pick your roommate by talking to another law student on here or facebook ahead of time. I'm not a xenophobe, but almost all the foreign grad students live there, and it's just a bit of a cultural clash sometimes to live with someone whose habits might be a bit strange (my roommate left his yogurt unrefrigerated for 4 months and boiled fruitloops in milk every morning...)

uhoh123

New

Post by uhoh123 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:49 pm

i have friends in law school all over the country, and i know that law students love to party. can the same be said for ND? how's the scene?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Tue May 19, 2009 1:51 pm

It's an Irish law school. We'll be fine.

uhoh123

New

Post by uhoh123 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:58 pm

will it be like the boondock saints?

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Tue May 19, 2009 2:02 pm

uhoh123 wrote:will it be like the boondock saints?
I'll break the bottles over the Russian's head if you tie the other one down and light his ass on fire.

uhoh123

New

Post by uhoh123 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:14 pm

thanks man. i'm sure i'll have some expendable toilets in my apartment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”