University of Houston Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Re: University of Houston Class of 2012

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Thu May 07, 2009 6:28 pm

Texasapp wrote:http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs ... _dorms.php

My friend who just graduated from UHLC in December also said that they don't have parking. Notice there will be juniors and seniors living there now so that "peace and quiet" advantage goes out the window.
Crap....that put a BIG dent in my motivation for living there. UH undergrads are not exactly the most professional, well-behaved students around. Do you think if I call and complain there is any chance I can get them to consider a discount? I feel like they have been misleading by not disclosing this information.
Last edited by eamonbriggs08 on Thu May 07, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

*consider this message blank* I accidentally posted my last message 3 times and I don't think you can delete posts in this thread, only edit them.[/quote]
Last edited by eamonbriggs08 on Thu May 07, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

*consider this message blank* I accidentally posted my last message 3 times and I don't think you can delete posts in this thread, only edit them.[/quote]
Last edited by eamonbriggs08 on Thu May 07, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Thu May 07, 2009 6:33 pm

They only have themselves to blame. They're law school admission process has been slow (according to info from this board), many students have just found out, and haven't been able to make adequate living arrangements since then!

And eamon, definitely ask for a discount. So what if you don't get one, might as well try. No harm in asking.

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Thu May 07, 2009 10:16 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:

My friend who just graduated from UHLC in December also said that they don't have parking. Notice there will be juniors and seniors living there now so that "peace and quiet" advantage goes out the window.
Crap....that put a BIG dent in my motivation for living there. UH undergrads are not exactly the most professional, well-behaved students around. Do you think if I call and complain there is any chance I can get them to consider a discount? I feel like they have been misleading by not disclosing this information.

hey, eamon. i also applied for calhoun (efficiency). i think their biggest problem is definitely the price. if i had a roommate, i would definitely not live there, as awesome as it sounds. it's more than $2 per sq footage, which is pretty costly.

if you do call for a discount, let me know. =]
oh and, supposedly, we get coupon books in addition to the raffle, the laundry deal, etc. (it hardly matters but just in case you're interested).

what floor did you apply to? i like the first due to the windows and the higher ceilings for no extra charge but now i am rethinking since it may not be as safe and twice as loud.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:53 pm

The paperwork sent to me did not have a floor preference, maybe that comes later... I did call and they didn't say anything about a discount but they assured me that the graduate and undergraduate students would be kept in separate parts of the complex (by floor?).

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Mon May 11, 2009 1:24 am

eamonbriggs08 wrote:The paperwork sent to me did not have a floor preference, maybe that comes later... I did call and they didn't say anything about a discount but they assured me that the graduate and undergraduate students would be kept in separate parts of the complex (by floor?).

hmm... well on the lease there's a blank for loft unit so you just fill that in. lofts are named according to floor and location (ie. 1E C12 would be first floor east...)

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:33 am

how do i know which rooms are available?

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:24 pm

I called and was told not to write anything next to the unit #____ or the rent $ ____. Quite the operation they have there, "hey fill out this binding contract, sign it, and then send it back to us so we can fill in the part that specifies where you will live and how much we will charge."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Mon May 11, 2009 4:33 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:I called and was told not to write anything next to the unit #____ or the rent $ ____. Quite the operation they have there, "hey fill out this binding contract, sign it, and then send it back to us so we can fill in the part that specifies where you will live and how much we will charge."
Maybe this is your first "law school exam". I can picture it already, a bunch of adcomm folks and professors waiting for faxes to come in with signed contracts with the $_____ empty. They might revoke your acceptance on the spot!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:56 pm

TonyDigital wrote:
eamonbriggs08 wrote:I called and was told not to write anything next to the unit #____ or the rent $ ____. Quite the operation they have there, "hey fill out this binding contract, sign it, and then send it back to us so we can fill in the part that specifies where you will live and how much we will charge."
Maybe this is your first "law school exam". I can picture it already, a bunch of adcomm folks and professors waiting for faxes to come in with signed contracts with the $_____ empty. They might revoke your acceptance on the spot!
lol, nice. It's like a much more serious and depressing version of the movie Blank Check.

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Mon May 11, 2009 10:56 pm

they do not know which units are available. since last wednesday, they supposedly have the new computer system running where they can find out but they said they'll notify me sometime this week. on my lease, i put down 4 unit numbers in case.

and yes..that is pretty odd. it's unfortunate they don't run the leasing process like a "real" apartment/loft place would.

Josh the Goat

New

Post by Josh the Goat » Tue May 12, 2009 12:51 am

Glad to see some UH students on the boards. I felt like I was the only one last year when I was accepted.

Send me a message if you have any questions or would like any advice or outlines for the 1L classes.

I'm also the President of the Corporate and Taxation Law Society, so if any of you are interested in corporate or tax work, we'll be looking for 1L reps in the fall.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Wed May 13, 2009 12:03 pm

Calhoun Lofts just called me, asking if I wanted to visit the Lofts if/when I visit the campus and sign a lease, etc etc.

Desperation abound!

thundy84

New

Post by thundy84 » Thu May 14, 2009 4:57 am

Even with the close proximity to UHLC, I would seriously advise you guys to try and find an apartment outside of that neighborhood. If you look at the Medical Center area (which is like 10-15 minutes away from UHLC) and probably even Midtown (also around 10 minutes away), you can get a nice 1 bedroom for 600-800 (maybe a tad higher for Midtown) and not have to worry about getting mugged, an event unfortunately common on campus at night. :| Midtown's also a lot closer to Houston nightlife. Hehe...

And UH juniors and seniors in the dorms...ick... :?

Admittedly, the new building looks nice at least from judging based on the pics on the admitted students group. :D

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:57 pm

BigAristotle wrote:Calhoun Lofts just called me, asking if I wanted to visit the Lofts if/when I visit the campus and sign a lease, etc etc.

Desperation abound!
Come on Big A, all the cool kids are doing it....

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:20 am

Yeah the peace and quiet thing was a big part of my reason to live there, so now I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm taking a tour tomorrow at noon though, so we'll see....There is parking though, in conjunction with the Lofts is a new parking garage being built across the street that will be finished some time this summer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jwzp

New

Post by jwzp » Sat May 16, 2009 9:52 am

Last edited by jwzp on Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Sun May 17, 2009 5:44 pm

So, I went on my tour of the lofts yesterday and they looked pretty nice. I found out several things that I thought would interest people, some good and some bad:

1. The first 4 floors will be for undergrads, floors 5-9 will be for graduate/professional students.
2. 70% of the rooms are 'special' in some way and cost $25/month more than the base cost. The 'special' rooms have one more of the following features: extra large windows, 30 extra sq. ft. (corner rooms I think), extra high sealings, or a view of downtown.
3. Traditional dorm rules and the presence of RAs will only exist on the first 4 floors, the rest of the building will operate just like a traditional apartment.
4. 500 of the 700 spots in the new parking garage being built across the street will be reserved for Calhoun Loft residents, but will cost an extra $250/year. A friend of mine who is a UH undergrad says there will be a ton of people trying to get the remaining 200 spots since parking at UH is a big problem.
5. All of the special amenities and retail described on the Lofts website are actually quite tentative. Spa, mini-market, bookstore, etc. are actually what they are hoping to fill the retail space with and are not guaranteed- much less expected by the time classes start.
6. Move in is actually August 15th, not August 1st. This is problematic for law students because 1L orientation is August 14th and 15th. I am going to call the housing department on Monday to see if there is any chance law students will be allowed to move in early.
7. All of the wine tasting/yoga/cooking/etc. classes mentioned on the website have fees associated with them. I think most are $20/class.
8. A free 24hr. shuttle (RA driven golf cart) will be available for bringing students to and from the parking garage.

burgundy

New

Post by burgundy » Sun May 17, 2009 7:19 pm

What about the 24-hour gym? Do they at least have that by now? And, are there treadmills/ellipticals/weights? I'd be looking forward to taking my 24-Hour Fitness charge off my CC.

rubies

New

Post by rubies » Sun May 17, 2009 11:19 pm

eamonbriggs08 wrote:So, I went on my tour of the lofts yesterday and they looked pretty nice. I found out several things that I thought would interest people, some good and some bad:

1. The first 4 floors will be for undergrads, floors 5-9 will be for graduate/professional students.
2. 70% of the rooms are 'special' in some way and cost $25/month more than the base cost. The 'special' rooms have one more of the following features: extra large windows, 30 extra sq. ft. (corner rooms I think), extra high sealings, or a view of downtown.
3. Traditional dorm rules and the presence of RAs will only exist on the first 4 floors, the rest of the building will operate just like a traditional apartment.
4. 500 of the 700 spots in the new parking garage being built across the street will be reserved for Calhoun Loft residents, but will cost an extra $250/year. A friend of mine who is a UH undergrad says there will be a ton of people trying to get the remaining 200 spots since parking at UH is a big problem.
5. All of the special amenities and retail described on the Lofts website are actually quite tentative. Spa, mini-market, bookstore, etc. are actually what they are hoping to fill the retail space with and are not guaranteed- much less expected by the time classes start.
6. Move in is actually August 15th, not August 1st. This is problematic for law students because 1L orientation is August 14th and 15th. I am going to call the housing department on Monday to see if there is any chance law students will be allowed to move in early.
7. All of the wine tasting/yoga/cooking/etc. classes mentioned on the website have fees associated with them. I think most are $20/class.
8. A free 24hr. shuttle (RA driven golf cart) will be available for bringing students to and from the parking garage.

this really sucks. i was planning to live on the first floor since they have the 15 ft. ceilings and other such "perks." i do not like the idea of undergrads (not just juniors and seniors) sharing the space.

i agree with the move in date. it would have been convenient to stay overnight for orientation.

eamon, are you still thinking about signing that lease? i signed it but i am considering other options more strongly now. good thing it's not binding.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:37 pm

rubies wrote:

this really sucks. i was planning to live on the first floor since they have the 15 ft. ceilings and other such "perks." i do not like the idea of undergrads (not just juniors and seniors) sharing the space.

i agree with the move in date. it would have been convenient to stay overnight for orientation.

eamon, are you still thinking about signing that lease? i signed it but i am considering other options more strongly now. good thing it's not binding.
I feel you rubies, the juniors/seniors and other annoyances I mentioned have definitely made me less enthusiastic about living in the Lofts, but ultimately I think I am still going to live there. At the end of the day, when you factor in the likely utility costs and Internet/phone/cable, the price of the Lofts is above average but not unreasonably high. Much more importantly, with the chaotic study schedule and other demands of being a 1L student, I just can't get over the fact that living in the Lofts would literally put me a few hundred feet away from the law school. That convenience is going to be worth a lot when it counts for frequent trips to the law library or during finals.

I really liked the 15ft ceilings too, but at least the rest of the rooms will have 10-12ft ceilings which is still really high. Most comparable apartments I've looked at only have standard 8ft ceilings. I kind of think the first floor would be noisy from foot traffic or people hanging out/grilling in the courtyard. I'd also have safety concerns living on the first floor especially given that the Lofts are not gated and burglaries are common in the area.

If you do go for it (and I hope you and everyone else does so I'm not alone), I'm trying to get law students on the 8th floor, West and Central sides of the building. That is the top floor on that side of the complex. I figure, if I can't have the convenience of being on the first or second floor, and there are plenty of elevators, I might as well be on the top floor and not have to worry about noisy people above me. This also creates a 3-floor barrier between me and the undergrads :-)

I just spoke with the housing office and they are trying to work something out so that law students can move in a couple days early. I will post an update when they call me back later today with a firm answer.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:46 pm

burgundy wrote:What about the 24-hour gym? Do they at least have that by now? And, are there treadmills/ellipticals/weights? I'd be looking forward to taking my 24-Hour Fitness charge off my CC.
They didn't say if it was 24-hour or not, but they do still plan on having a gym. The huge new rec center is pretty close to the Lofts as well.

eamonbriggs08

Bronze

Post by eamonbriggs08 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:30 pm

AWESOME! I just spoke with the housing department and they agreed to let any incoming law students living in the Calhoun Lofts to move in August 13th instead of the 15th to accommodate 1L orientation (14th and 15th). You need to be put on an early move-in list first though by doing the following:

1. Call the Calhoun Lofts office at 832.842.5638
2. Ask to speak to "Teeba"
3. Tell Teeba that you need to be put on the same early move-in list for law students as Eamon. Make sure you have your PeopleSoft # handy because he will ask for this as well.

Teeba asked me to pass along that the construction schedule is going to be right down to the wire, and only people who call well in advance will be sure to have their room cleaned and furniture installed (if you are getting a furnished room) in time for the early move-in.

BigAristotle

Bronze

Post by BigAristotle » Tue May 19, 2009 4:15 pm

So instead of working on my idiot clients' financial woes today, I scoured apartments in Houston with the help of an Apartment Finder person-thingabobber.

I have an 8 page listing of all the apartments in the Loop/Galleria area, roughly. I went through and picked out ones that were close in my budget and looked desirable, then created a spreadsheet sorting them by distance(in miles) to the school, time to commute (from googledirections), square footage, rent/month, rent/year, rent including any discounts (2 months off rent, 2 weeks off rent, etc), and then had each rent divided by 2 (I plan on living with 1 roommate in a 2Br). Also included which apartments make you pay which utilities and address of each.

If anyone wants a link to my listings or the spreadsheet, PM me and I'll email it over to you.

The average rent (on my spreadsheet) is about $600(each), + Electric, water, and sometimes trash for a 2Br 1100 sq foot apt (average).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”