Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
hoffb86

Bronze

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by hoffb86 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I miss you guys so much! When can we get together and drink again?

Geo: That is insane. Congrats on your serious bargain! That was a badass accomplishment.

Hoff: For the love of god, let me call Dean Brown. I think you will find that I am far more stubborn than you are. Remember YCRevolution and his brilliant prediction device? You are a strong consider, just as I was.
I was with Tx girl all day yesterday. We walked all over Lincoln Center, through the little passage that connects the Met to Fordham, then past Columbus Circle into the park. She's one of the sweetest people I have met, and she has an awful decision to make. I know she would be happy here with us, but I can't tell her to stay when she has $2,000 short of a full ride at UT.

To everyone working: I am jealous. I thought I would enjoy my last free summer, but instead I feel vaguely guilty. I'm helping my roommate move out, and giving a hand to anyone that needs it, but I detest this idleness. If PIRC can't find me something to do during the school year, I really don't know what I'll do. I miss you guys... Let's do something soon!
What's done is done. I just found it to be an interesting little twist in the soon ending saga between Fordham and myself...

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:07 pm

Hi everyone! I'm usually not on TLS at work, but things are glacially slow this week. All you E&E readers are making me feel like a slacker.

And OS, the grass is always greener. I desperately wish I could take the rest of the summer off. So much to do and only a month and a half until Fordham!

On a side note, I officially have my apartment. Probably not as good a deal as geo's but I'm thrilled nonetheless :D

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:13 pm

the fledgling wrote:Hi everyone! I'm usually not on TLS at work, but things are glacially slow this week. All you E&E readers are making me feel like a slacker.

And OS, the grass is always greener. I desperately wish I could take the rest of the summer off. So much to do and only a month and a half until Fordham!

On a side note, I officially have my apartment. Probably not as good a deal as geo's but I'm thrilled nonetheless :D
where's the apt?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:16 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I miss you guys so much! When can we get together and drink again?

Geo: That is insane. Congrats on your serious bargain! That was a badass accomplishment.

Hoff: For the love of god, let me call Dean Brown. I think you will find that I am far more stubborn than you are. Remember YCRevolution and his brilliant prediction device? You are a strong consider, just as I was.

I was with Tx girl all day yesterday. We walked all over Lincoln Center, through the little passage that connects the Met to Fordham, then past Columbus Circle into the park. She's one of the sweetest people I have met, and she has an awful decision to make. I know she would be happy here with us, but I can't tell her to stay when she has $2,000 short of a full ride at UT, and her father wants her to return.

To everyone working: I am jealous. I thought I would enjoy my last free summer, but instead I feel vaguely guilty. I'm helping my roommate move out, and giving a hand to anyone that needs it, but I detest this idleness. If PIRC can't find me something to do during the school year, I really don't know what I'll do. I miss you guys... Let's do something soon!
is this a new development? didnt she move all the way up here for fordham?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:25 pm

hoffb86 wrote:

I was with Tx girl all day yesterday. We walked all over Lincoln Center, through the little passage that connects the Met to Fordham, then past Columbus Circle into the park. She's one of the sweetest people I have met, and she has an awful decision to make. I know she would be happy here with us, but I can't tell her to stay when she has $2,000 short of a full ride at UT.

What's done is done. I just found it to be an interesting little twist in the soon ending saga between Fordham and myself...
It's wrong, Hoff! If you didn't care, you wouldn't be in our thread. I regret so many of my own decisions; in fact, Fordham may be the first decision I have ever made that I will never regret. You are my friend; I don't want you ever to look back and wonder what might have been. Just tell me you have peace of mind. Tell me you love your school, and that will be enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:29 pm

jrock12 wrote:where's the apt?
West 70s by the park. Close enough to walk.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:36 pm

the fledgling wrote:
nice! right near me!
you're going to love it

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:39 pm

Yay, another UWSer! It seemed like everyone was leaning towards HK. I can't wait to move. I love it already :mrgreen:

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:42 pm

Fledgling, congrats on your new apartment! I am going to an open house tomorrow night, on W80th. The apartment is a 4th floor walkup, but it's in a beautiful 19th century brownstone on one of those landmarked blocks.

I still need to get my financial aid in order, and I'm terrified.

Jrock: She did move up here for Fordham. Her roommate was awful, though, and she had second thoughts and called up UT. It turns out that she had never heard about her need based aid, because she withdrew so quickly. It was a lot... Fordham gave her more money than I've ever heard of anyone getting, but it wasn't quite that much, and her family wants her in Austin. I probably made things worse by showing her the city. It must have been the wrong thing to do. I don't know. I want her to stay, of course, and she loves Fordham. She said she envies me the simplicity of my decision! I envy her all the debt she won't be in. Fordham gave me nothing, and I have no job. I would be crazy to do this if I loved the school the smallest whit less.

I need a drink, lol!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Good luck at that open house, OS! I saw some amazing places in the 80s. One was this one bedroom with white brick walls, a sunken living room, and huge windows that looked out onto the neighbor's green backyard (complete with a buddhist shrine). It was to die for.

I was going to sign the MPN for Grad Plus yesterday, but my internet broke down. So, still not finalized here...

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:36 pm

OperaSoprano wrote: It's wrong, Hoff! If you didn't care, you wouldn't be in our thread. I regret so many of my own decisions; in fact, Fordham may be the first decision I have ever made that I will never regret. You are my friend; I don't want you ever to look back and wonder what might have been. Just tell me you have peace of mind. Tell me you love your school, and that will be enough.
This is a very sweet post, I'm in your thread because I've enjoyed the ride and through the ride getting to "know" (mostly via internet, and some in person) many of you. I don't regret what happened with Fordham. Did this last part of the journey leave a bitter taste in my mouth? Yes, of course. I rejected myself after all! I do have peace of mind, and am super-excited to be going to Maryland. I post in the thread, cuz I like the close-knit interaction that you all seem to have (which is so unusual), not to mention, I like Fordham, and like interacting with you folks!

For those that don't know what this "latest twist" is...., I basically have this gut feeling that there is room in the PT program for people with my numbers, or around my numbers, if I were to call up and ask, because I have been hearing of students accepted with my numbers now, and I had a job lined up in NYC. I rejected myself from the waitlist (after being unrejected by Stephen Brown), because he felt there was little chance there would be a lot of movement (which it seems now there has been), and he didn't think there would be a spot until at least the end of August, which was too late for me... now, it appears it may have been sooner... but alas, what is done is done, time to move on!

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:05 pm

I apologize for being absent for a week after proposing the meet-up. Like Opera said, I've been dealing with one of the biggest decisions of my life. BTW Opera, yesterday was so much fun, but your contagious enthusiasm for Fordham definitely made my decision more complicated. I love New York so much. I do have to clarify that I thought I was offered 10,000 a year short of a full ride at UT, not 2,000. However, I found out today that the woman I spoke to was talking in terms of semesters not years. Still, 20,000 a year in debt beats the 40, 000 I would have at Fordham. But NYC beats Texas. I'm so indecisive, but I only have until Friday to give UT my deposit. What to do . . .

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:08 pm

txgirl wrote:I apologize for being absent for a week after proposing the meet-up. Like Opera said, I've been dealing with one of the biggest decisions of my life. BTW Opera, yesterday was so much fun, but your contagious enthusiasm for Fordham definitely made my decision more complicated. I love New York so much. I do have to clarify that I thought I was offered 10,000 a year short of a full ride at UT, not 2,000. However, I found out today that the woman I spoke to was talking in terms of semesters not years. Still, 20,000 a year in debt beats the 40, 000 I would have at Fordham. But NYC beats Texas. I'm so indecisive, but I only have until Friday to give UT my deposit. What to do . . .
Where do you want to practice after? If NYC or the Northeast, I would choose Fordham, if anywhere else, I'd choose Texas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm not sure. I'm definitely leaning towards NYC, but I'm from CA, and might want to move back to San Francisco to be near my family at some point. I am 100% sure I will not want to stay in Texas after law school. But, It's hard to commit to Fordham when I have only lived in New York for a week. I've never even experienced a real winter.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:15 pm

txgirl wrote:I'm not sure. I'm definitely leaning towards NYC, but I'm from CA, and might want to move back to San Francisco to be near my family at some point. I am 100% sure I will not want to stay in Texas after law school. But, It's hard to commit to Fordham when I have only lived in New York for a week. I've never even experienced a real winter.
I personally love the winter time in NYC, it isn't upstate new york!

The lights in the city, and the snow, its just a cool time to be in NYC during the holidays/winter months, but thats just me.... Having grown up in Upstate New York, I am totally used to the cold weather.

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:20 pm

hoffb86 wrote:
txgirl wrote:I'm not sure. I'm definitely leaning towards NYC, but I'm from CA, and might want to move back to San Francisco to be near my family at some point. I am 100% sure I will not want to stay in Texas after law school. But, It's hard to commit to Fordham when I have only lived in New York for a week. I've never even experienced a real winter.
I personally love the winter time in NYC, it isn't upstate new york!

The lights in the city, and the snow, its just a cool time to be in NYC during the holidays/winter months, but thats just me.... Having grown up in Upstate New York, I am totally used to the cold weather.
Having grown up in California, I am not. I was here in April, it was in the 50's and I was freaking out.

casper00

New

Post by casper00 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:21 pm

jrock12 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:
nice! right near me!
you're going to love it
I just signed on a place in the west 60's by the park

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:32 pm

Tx girl, the snow in the city isn't bad at all (not like at Cornell, lol!) New York is so beautiful in the wintertime. You can go skating in Bryant Park, and just watch the tourists (this is one of my favorite passtimes, lol.) November is prime sample sale season; I've snagged many a designer bargain right from the showroom.

UT is a phenomenal school, and I can't in good conscience tell you to chuck such a deal without a thought. That said, I think you would love Fordham, and San Francisco isn't impossible (I've thought about it too, given my own roots), but it would require some legwork. We do have some CA firms at OCI, or so I've heard.

You are awesome, don't let this decision get you down!

txgirl

New

Post by txgirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:38 pm

Thanks Opera! BTW, I told the roommate I would be moving out, and she took it surprisingly well. She actually said congrats on UT.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:52 pm

hoffb86 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: It's wrong, Hoff! If you didn't care, you wouldn't be in our thread. I regret so many of my own decisions; in fact, Fordham may be the first decision I have ever made that I will never regret. You are my friend; I don't want you ever to look back and wonder what might have been. Just tell me you have peace of mind. Tell me you love your school, and that will be enough.
This is a very sweet post, I'm in your thread because I've enjoyed the ride and through the ride getting to "know" (mostly via internet, and some in person) many of you. I don't regret what happened with Fordham. Did this last part of the journey leave a bitter taste in my mouth? Yes, of course. I rejected myself after all! I do have peace of mind, and am super-excited to be going to Maryland. I post in the thread, cuz I like the close-knit interaction that you all seem to have (which is so unusual), not to mention, I like Fordham, and like interacting with you folks!

For those that don't know what this "latest twist" is...., I basically have this gut feeling that there is room in the PT program for people with my numbers, or around my numbers, if I were to call up and ask, because I have been hearing of students accepted with my numbers now, and I had a job lined up in NYC. I rejected myself from the waitlist (after being unrejected by Stephen Brown), because he felt there was little chance there would be a lot of movement (which it seems now there has been), and he didn't think there would be a spot until at least the end of August, which was too late for me... now, it appears it may have been sooner... but alas, what is done is done, time to move on!
If you are sure, Hoff, but only if you are sure! If you aren't, I will call him up tomorrow and tell him you need to be in our class. Don't think I wouldn't do it!

We are one of the closest knit entering classes on TLS. For one thing, everyone here is actually friendly and helpful! Dean Brown said he would not admit an elitist or douchey person, even if he or she had T14 numbers. A few other schools have scruples like that, but I think we stand out. No one in our class would ever behave like some other 0Ls I might mention. We would never make derogatory comments about Cardozo students, or imply that they were beneath us or something. It just wouldn't ever happen. We are honorable, and we are here to help if we can. It's a privilege to be part of this class, and an honor I will never forget.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:55 pm

casper00 wrote:
jrock12 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:
nice! right near me!
you're going to love it
I just signed on a place in the west 60's by the park
Yeah! Another one! I envy your proximity to Whole Foods.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:00 pm

*Thinking about how close Shake Shack is to Fordham*

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:13 pm

OS, had you mentioned some sort of student discount for the Philharmonic?

broach911

New

Post by broach911 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 pm

Just bought my plane ticket. Heading up the 9th and not returning until I get an apartment. The hunt begins. Congrats on those who've gotten one already. I'm stressing out, worrying I won't find anything.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:49 pm

broach911 wrote:Just bought my plane ticket. Heading up the 9th and not returning until I get an apartment. The hunt begins. Congrats on those who've gotten one already. I'm stressing out, worrying I won't find anything.
You will find one. Bet on it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”