Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jrock12

Bronze

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by jrock12 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:17 am

silenziatori wrote:
jrock12 wrote:was recently given 3 books from a 1LE who said i'd need them for the first two weeks of class...now this makes sense...i just didnt realize orientation would be an actual class
List books, please.
unfortunately they are back at my apt. and i'm at work all day

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:25 am

It's all good. The only book they identify on the ASW as required for orientation is Introduction to the Study of Law, Third Edition.

I suppose Case of a Lifetime: A Criminal Defense Lawyer's Story could be one of the other books required for orientation.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:38 am

silenziatori wrote:It's all good. The only book they identify on the ASW as required for orientation is Introduction to the Study of Law, Third Edition.

I suppose Case of a Lifetime: A Criminal Defense Lawyer's Story could be one of the other books required for orientation.
i'll obviously let you guys know...my plan for the past few weeks has been to get some feedback from the 1LE about this orientation process, but we have constantly missed eachother, so once i firm that up, i will let you know (even tho its only a year, i wouldnt want them to have changed the set of books we use)

CorpRaider

New

Post by CorpRaider » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:17 pm

http://www.collegiateinsuranceresources ... ool_sh.asp

For those of you that need insurance through Fordham, follow the link above. I was directed there by the student affairs department. New insurance rates won't be available until the end of July.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:35 pm

silenziatori wrote:
CorpRaider wrote:Does anyone have info on the insurance plans available for Fordham students?
This is not current but is the only thing available on the internet:

--LinkRemoved--
The above link will get you to the Fordham 2008-2009 insurance info directly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Can I bring up financial aid again? Have people picked out lenders? Has anyone got the stafford loans? wtf is hesc and where does that come into play with all of this? What are the dates and deadlines?

CrazyLawStudent

New

Post by CrazyLawStudent » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:58 pm

^I turned in my form for a Stafford request a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten the official letter or offer yet. Hopefully I get it soon! I'm going out of the country for two weeks starting on Sat. I also have to apply for Grad Plus but I haven't done it yet. Do I have to wait until I get a Stafford loan offer first?

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:37 pm

So, this (LinkRemoved) looks pretty cool.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:18 pm

CrazyLawStudent wrote:^I turned in my form for a Stafford request a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten the official letter or offer yet. Hopefully I get it soon! I'm going out of the country for two weeks starting on Sat. I also have to apply for Grad Plus but I haven't done it yet. Do I have to wait until I get a Stafford loan offer first?
I asked the financial aid office about this since I filled out Stafford a while ago (like two months ago) and want to make sure its all finalized before I do the Grad Plus eMPN on HESC. They told me that they have a new system and won't be finalizing things until July, but go ahead and complete the Grad Plus eMPN. They promised me that even though the Stafford isn't really "finalized" it is actually finalized (if that makes sense).

The whole HESC thing is just so odd. I don't like not having direct confirmation or communication from my lenders, but apparently that's the way its supposed to be. Anyone know current Fordham students who have taken out loans? I'd like to hear something from them.

Btw, Silenzori, I read somewhere that the July tuition bill will take expected financial aid/loans into account. Since Fordham will deduct the tuition from our loans and release the balance to us three days before classes (I believe it's classes not orientation--can check on that), I figure it isn't actually due in July--we just get the bill. At least that's what I hope. I think a lot of people would be rather screwed otherwise.
Last edited by the fledgling on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:are they going to "grade" us for this one credit. by what metric?

goddammit when i said i would work til the end of july, i thought i had 3 weeks off....
At least you won't be working! Because of financial reasons I'll be working through Aug. 14th.

Up front costs are a bitch.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:31 pm

silenziatori wrote:So, this (LinkRemoved) looks pretty cool.
Oooh and it's free!

(Ok, I think that's enough posts in this thread tonight :oops: )

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:41 pm

the fledgling wrote:Btw, Silenzori, I read somewhere that the July tuition bill will take expected financial aid/loans into account. Since Fordham will deduct the tuition from our loans and release the balance to us three days before classes (I believe it's classes not orientation--can check on that), I figure it isn't actually due in July--we just get the bill. At least that's what I hope. I think a lot of people would be rather screwed otherwise.
Thanks, fledgling. That clears everything up.
the fledgling wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:are they going to "grade" us for this one credit. by what metric?

goddammit when i said i would work til the end of july, i thought i had 3 weeks off....
At least you won't be working! Because of financial reasons I'll be working through Aug. 14th.

Up front costs are a bitch.
I hear ya. I'm afraid I'll be working until at least August 7th. I'm tempted to work all the way until August 14th, but I don't want to freak out about having no break before the start of law school.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Glad I could be helpful. Yeah... I'm taking a week off to move-in and furnish my apartment. I'm hoping that will be my "break."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:30 am

the fledgling wrote:
CrazyLawStudent wrote:^I turned in my form for a Stafford request a couple weeks ago. Haven't gotten the official letter or offer yet. Hopefully I get it soon! I'm going out of the country for two weeks starting on Sat. I also have to apply for Grad Plus but I haven't done it yet. Do I have to wait until I get a Stafford loan offer first?
I asked the financial aid office about this since I filled out Stafford a while ago (like two months ago) and want to make sure its all finalized before I do the Grad Plus eMPN on HESC. They told me that they have a new system and won't be finalizing things until July, but go ahead and complete the Grad Plus eMPN. They promised me that even though the Stafford isn't really "finalized" it is actually finalized (if that makes sense).

The whole HESC thing is just so odd. I don't like not having direct confirmation or communication from my lenders, but apparently that's the way its supposed to be. Anyone know current Fordham students who have taken out loans? I'd like to hear something from them.

Btw, Silenzori, I read somewhere that the July tuition bill will take expected financial aid/loans into account. Since Fordham will deduct the tuition from our loans and release the balance to us three days before classes (I believe it's classes not orientation--can check on that), I figure it isn't actually due in July--we just get the bill. At least that's what I hope. I think a lot of people would be rather screwed otherwise.

fledgling...i echo your thoughts on the lack of confirmation....i filed the e-MPN for my stafford loans and the only confirmation i have is the printed page from when i completed filling it out

i am a bit confused though as to why you have to go through hesc and file an e-MPN for gradplus loans....i thought you essentially picked your own lender for gradplus (and this is completely separate from hesc)...am i incorrect?

thanks

untitled

New

Post by untitled » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:18 am

Do you guys think that driving without a license counts as a "minor traffic violation" and therefore doesn't need to be disclosed?

Thanks...

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:28 am

I think they mean speeding and parket tickets. I always say, if you are unsure and need to ask, disclose it.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:43 am

untitled wrote:Do you guys think that driving without a license counts as a "minor traffic violation" and therefore doesn't need to be disclosed?

Thanks...

Interesting place for your first post... looolololo

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Jrock, I had a few email exchanges with the financial aid office about the process for Grad Plus and they've told me repeatedly that I have to complete the eMPN for Grad Plus on HESC. As to the fact that we really absolutely have to get Grad Plus through HESC? The aid booklet says "If you would like to apply for a Grad Plus loan through HESC, you should initiate the process with http://www.hesc.org.

Notice the bold. The booklet doesn't mention another option, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. If there is, I really don't appreciate having HESC practically forced on me by Fordham. I think I'll try to get an answer out of them (again) tomorrow. Is any one else available to give them a call and straighten this out? I'd rather deal directly with the lender if possible.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:40 pm

the fledgling wrote:Jrock, I had a few email exchanges with the financial aid office about the process for Grad Plus and they've told me repeatedly that I have to complete the eMPN for Grad Plus on HESC. As to the fact that we really absolutely have to get Grad Plus through HESC? The aid booklet says "If you would like to apply for a Grad Plus loan through HESC, you should initiate the process with http://www.hesc.org.

Notice the bold. The booklet doesn't mention another option, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. If there is, I really don't appreciate having HESC practically forced on me by Fordham. I think I'll try to get an answer out of them (again) tomorrow. Is any one else available to give them a call and straighten this out? I'd rather deal directly with the lender if possible.
I'll do this. I'll also find out for us what their position is on including government jobs under their LRAP.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:28 am

Well, here's what financial aid said in response to my questions: Must we go through HESC? Can we go directly through a lender?

"You can't go right through a lender. You need to go through a guarantor and then choose the lender you want."

Fordham uses HESC as their standard guarantor. I'll see if there are others.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 am

the fledgling wrote:Well, here's what financial aid said in response to my questions: Must we go through HESC? Can we go directly through a lender?

"You can't go right through a lender. You need to go through a guarantor and then choose the lender you want."

Fordham uses HESC as their standard guarantor. I'll see if there are others.
first, thanks for the responses fledg and silenz

i'm not doubting how they responded to your questions, i guess i'm just confused as to why...i'm not 100% informed, but from what i've read/talked to others, i thought hesc was separate/linked only to stafford, but it looks as if i'm completely mistaken

as an aside, i have seen others post positively about discover and wells fargo...hopefully these are choices through hesc

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:44 am

Alright, here is some info I found out from the Financial Aid office:

There is no timeline by which to complete the loan application process, but for obvious reasons you don't want to wait until the day before classes to do so.

The funds are disbursed to Fordham 3 days before the start of classes, and then the balance due to the student is forwarded to him/her. There is a way to get the money through direct deposit, and there is supposed to be information about that on their website.

You have to go through HESC for GradPLUS. HESC is the guarantor, and there will be a number of lenders from which you can choose for your loans. I found the list on HESC's website (NO DISCOVER, BUT WELLS FARGO IS THERE):

--LinkRemoved--

They don't know of any decision that has been made regarding the LRAP covering government jobs. I guess I'll have to speak directly to the person who oversees the LRAP for more specifics.

As for those who are on wait lists at other schools, I spoke to the school I'm wait listed at and asked what I would have to do if I were accepted and had already completed the loan process with Fordham, and I was told I would just cancel the loans for Fordham and go through the loan process with the new school. I suppose things could get more complicated for you if you end up at the wait listed school after the loans are already disbursed to you and Fordham, but cross that bridge if and when you get to it.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 am

WTF?! I just received an email from Fordham that says this:
We use NYSHESC as a guarantor and
disbursing agent for federal loans. Of course, you are free to choose
any guarantor. Most of our students choose HESC.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:55 am

silenziatori wrote:WTF?! I just received an email from Fordham that says this:
Yeah, just got that too. I was planning on using Discover.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:57 am

silenziatori wrote:WTF?! I just received an email from Fordham that says this:
Me too! I'm glad they sent it, but couldn't they have just told me that when I asked them point blank?

Btw, the financial aid person got back to me and said that while we can use other guarantors (i.e., not HESC--but we already know this from the "important information for incoming students!" email) the processing time is longer.

Looking into who Discover uses as a guarantor. I don't remember seeing it on HESC's Stafford lender list but maybe Grad Plus is different. EDIT: Silenz... just saw your note about discover :( Off hand, what were Wells Fargo's pluses?
Last edited by the fledgling on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”