Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
silenziatori

Silver

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by silenziatori » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:35 pm

Hats off to all you PT students. I wouldn't be able to handle it.

cancelled02062010

New

Post by cancelled02062010 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:43 pm

silenziatori wrote:Hats off to all you PT students. I wouldn't be able to handle it.

Thanks.

My employer is great though, so i will have a flexible work schedule. Plus, I really like going to court, I think its great and hopefully it will pay off in school.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:12 pm

[quote="mfb285]
mfb285 wrote:BTW, im going to fordham next year. Hello all. ha
Welcome :D[/quote]

Ha, thank you.

I turned down some t20 schools in favor of Fordham. It's reputation is just too good in the city, (where i live and work), and up-state too. It really dominates the 'metro area' and the state.

Fordham is the right decision. BL's desperate attempts only show you that you have made the right choice.[/quote]
Welcome then...are you PT or FT?[/quote]

PT. I don't want to give up my job. It's going too good for me right now. Depending on how i do this first year will determine if I stay PT.

Anecdotal evidence: I talked to guy at a Big-Law firm who did Fordham PT, and another who now works a Mid-Law firm. They say that you age faster, especially if you are working full time, but as long as you have something else going on, PT is not a detriment to you.

IDK, i was worried about it, so i threw that out there.[/quote]

thanks for the post....nice to see others with a similar mindset to myself, and with a very similar situation

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:12 pm

jrock12 wrote:[quote="mfb285]
Welcome :D

Ha, thank you.

I turned down some t20 schools in favor of Fordham. It's reputation is just too good in the city, (where i live and work), and up-state too. It really dominates the 'metro area' and the state.

Fordham is the right decision. BL's desperate attempts only show you that you have made the right choice.[/quote]

PT. I don't want to give up my job. It's going too good for me right now. Depending on how i do this first year will determine if I stay PT.

Anecdotal evidence: I talked to guy at a Big-Law firm who did Fordham PT, and another who now works a Mid-Law firm. They say that you age faster, especially if you are working full time, but as long as you have something else going on, PT is not a detriment to you.

thanks for the post....nice to see others with a similar mindset to myself, and with a very similar situation[/quote]

as an aside, i really wish i could figure out how to delete quotes correctly so it doesnt look like my post above

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:39 pm

casper00 wrote:So I just got a letter (after withdrawing in no uncertain terms) from Brooklyn "awarding" me an extra 10,000. Now I'm being offered $41,000 a year from Brooklyn after withdrawing. Efffffff :shock:
Casper, that truly is awful.

I knew you could never be purchased for such a cheap sum, nor could I. ;).

I am definitely putting off my HESC adventure, though. I had better bite the bullet and get it over with. Has anyone had any trouble getting a gradplus loan? My aunt is willing to cosign for me, but I hope I won't need to ask her. I understand that nearly everyone qualifies for full COA unless they've been bankrupt or in serious default.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:42 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
casper00 wrote:So I just got a letter (after withdrawing in no uncertain terms) from Brooklyn "awarding" me an extra 10,000. Now I'm being offered $41,000 a year from Brooklyn after withdrawing. Efffffff :shock:

I am definitely putting off my HESC adventure, though. I had better bite the bullet and get it over with. Has anyone had any trouble getting a gradplus loan? My aunt is willing to cosign for me, but I hope I won't need to ask her. I understand that nearly everyone qualifies for full COA unless they've been bankrupt or in serious default.
As long as you don't have any student loans which are delinquent 3 or more months, you will be fine and won't need your aunt to cosign for GradPLUS.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:53 pm

mfb285 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:

Ha, thank you.

Fordham is the right decision. BL's desperate attempts only show you that you have made the right choice.
Fordham is always the right choice! I, OS, bid you welcome. I'm in the evening class too. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am no longer working, but I intend to go to PIRC as soon as I am allowed. I am hoping to find nonprofit work (likely unpaid, though) within a few weeks of starting class.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:57 pm

silenziatori wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

As long as you don't have any student loans which are delinquent 3 or more months, you will be fine and won't need your aunt to cosign for GradPLUS.
I know that is the case for Stafford loans, but I understood that GradPlus had stricter credit requirements. My credit is still in the rebuilding stage, hence my concern.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:03 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
silenziatori wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

I know that is the case for Stafford loans, but I understood that GradPlus had stricter credit requirements. My credit is still in the rebuilding stage, hence my concern.
This is from http://www.finaid.org:
Eligibility. Eligibility for private education loans typically depends on your debt-to-income ratio and FICO score. Eligibility for the PLUS Loan does not depend on these factors. You can get a PLUS loan even if you have a bad credit score, so long as you don't have an adverse credit history (i.e., no more than 90 days late on any debt and no defaults, bankruptcies or other adverse action on any Title IV debt).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cancelled02062010

New

Post by cancelled02062010 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks OS. Good luck, I'm sure you can work it out. Plus I would check with the Fin Aid office. They helped me a lot.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks so much, Silenz, and thanks, mfb! I hope my credit history won't be considered adverse.

I'm so ready for classes to start. At midnight tonight, we'll have 50 days 'til orientation! Will anyone else cop to counting the days?

<3

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:18 pm

mfb285 wrote:

Yeyyy I'll have a PT/full time work buddy. I thought I was the only one and was really starting to panic about how I'll be able to do it. Seeing that there's more of us makes me feel a bit better. Now I know it's not just my crazy idea. :)

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:19 pm

jrock12 wrote:
jrock12 wrote:[quote="mfb285]

Ha, thank you.

Fordham is the right decision. BL's desperate attempts only show you that you have made the right choice.

thanks for the post....nice to see others with a similar mindset to myself, and with a very similar situation[/quote]

as an aside, i really wish i could figure out how to delete quotes correctly so it doesnt look like my post above[/quote]

haha me too! I've tried to do it so many times and can never get it right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:23 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
silenziatori wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

I think you are right about the GradPlus. I applied and it asks for a cosigner because of my not-so-perfect credit. I think the requirements are pretty much the same as with a private loan.

ascremer

Bronze

Post by ascremer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:31 am

casper00 wrote:
mfb285 wrote:No one needs to talk you down from that cliff right?

Not sure what your plans are, but the general employer principal is to dig from the top and skim from the bottom.
I'm going to Fordham, but Brooklyn's tempting me. I think it's rude. I made it very clear, even in my non-enrollment survey, that I wasn't going there (and gave a few reasons in the survey). But 41,000 is full tuition just about. ugghhh

Not really sure what you mean with the general employer principle...
im in the same boat, even after i rejected their offer of 39K they called me and said they had extra funding, if i would reconsider.
It makes the decision hard, but I will be choosing Fordham also.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:24 am

Wow, BLS is looking desperate.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:45 am

hey pammy where do you work? law firm?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:53 pm

Does anyone know what the Fordham discount for Lenovo's are? I found the site where we can access it but it does not provide the proper login credentials.

Anyone know offhand or accessed this?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:29 pm

I don't know about Lenovo, but on Apple's site you simply click the student discount and find your school from the drop down menu (this is after they ask for city, state). The discount is $50 with a free iPod touch, plus there's a free printer deal going on now (after $100 rebate). Lenovo might have a better deal for students. Actually, Lenovo probably will have a better deal for students. I love my MacBook but man was it expensive.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:00 pm

the fledgling wrote:I don't know about Lenovo, but on Apple's site you simply click the student discount and find your school from the drop down menu (this is after they ask for city, state). The discount is $50 with a free iPod touch, plus there's a free printer deal going on now (after $100 rebate). Lenovo might have a better deal for students. Actually, Lenovo probably will have a better deal for students. I love my MacBook but man was it expensive.

Thanks! One of my friends works for IBM, so I can get the employee price, but I was just wondering what the student rate is...

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 pm

anyone know how it looks to potential employers if you do PT but have no fulltime job?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:55 pm

ZXCVBNM wrote:anyone know how it looks to potential employers if you do PT but have no fulltime job?
I guess I'm about to find out! I do plan to volunteer or intern part time, though. I think employers may cut us some slack in this economy. I think it does look bad to do nothing.

Make law review, though, and it probably won't matter at all!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:07 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:anyone know how it looks to potential employers if you do PT but have no fulltime job?
I guess I'm about to find out! I do plan to volunteer or intern part time, though. I think employers may cut us some slack in this economy. I think it does look bad to do nothing.

Make law review, though, and it probably won't matter at all!

I would agree with this.

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:52 pm

jrock12 wrote:hey pammy where do you work? law firm?
yup

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:19 am

sentinal5656 wrote:
the fledgling wrote:I don't know about Lenovo, but on Apple's site you simply click the student discount and find your school from the drop down menu (this is after they ask for city, state). The discount is $50 with a free iPod touch, plus there's a free printer deal going on now (after $100 rebate). Lenovo might have a better deal for students. Actually, Lenovo probably will have a better deal for students. I love my MacBook but man was it expensive.

Thanks! One of my friends works for IBM, so I can get the employee price, but I was just wondering what the student rate is...
along the same lines, does anyone know if there are any specs/software requirements unique to fordham that we need on a computer?

also, do you think we'll be bringing laptops into class with us everyday? i know it varies from school to school, but i'm trying to decide if i should buy a netbook for this purpose or just keep my old computer/buy a great new one

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”