Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 01, 2009 5:07 pm

Representin'. Thanks for all the love!

Fordham by night!

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Fri May 01, 2009 5:23 pm

Some good news for those of us interested in PI, and Fordham in general:

http://law.fordham.edu/ihtml/news-2deta ... 2&nid=1058

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 01, 2009 8:51 pm

silenziatori wrote:Some good news for those of us interested in PI, and Fordham in general:

http://law.fordham.edu/ihtml/news-2deta ... 2&nid=1058
Wow, that is really cool! Fordham needs more PI kids... guess that's why they let me in! That, or they really really needed my LSAT for the new part time rankings. :wink:

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Mon May 04, 2009 11:46 am

Have you checked out the designs for the new law school building? Sorta wish they could have built it earlier.

http://law.fordham.edu/ihtml/cam-2newBu ... ml?id=1616

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon May 04, 2009 11:55 am

silenziatori wrote:Have you checked out the designs for the new law school building? Sorta wish they could have built it earlier.

It's sooooooooo beautiful, and I love this thread so much. Do you think there is any chance they'll finish it early in 2012?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Mon May 04, 2009 12:00 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
silenziatori wrote:Have you checked out the designs for the new law school building? Sorta wish they could have built it earlier.

It's sooooooooo beautiful, and I love this thread so much. Do you think there is any chance they'll finish it early in 2012?
Maybe we shouldn't transfer to FT from PT. It will give them more time to finish the building while we're there. :wink:

Anyway, I bet it will help the rankings.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon May 04, 2009 12:04 pm

geoanthem wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Maybe we shouldn't transfer to FT from PT. It will give them more time to finish the building while we're there. :wink:

Anyway, I bet it will help the rankings.
Lulz, good plan! If I stay PT, I intend to quit my current job and join the school's PR staff as a publicist. Fordham will be a T14 by the time we graduate!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Mon May 04, 2009 12:05 pm

Are there any plans to actually break ground or what?

Edit: Holla! http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20 ... /904229970

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Mon May 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Expansion proposal currently needs approval by city council. If approved, building will begin "...as soon as possible..."

http://www.fordham.edu/Campus_Resources ... s_1537.asp

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Mon May 04, 2009 7:50 pm

MoMoney wrote:Did anyone start looking at apartments yet? More specifically, did anyone check out the South Park Towers apartment building? It's literally across the street from the school... Its pretty pricey at 2,000+ for an alcove studio, but if any of you looked at it I'd appreciate your views.

For those looking, the Sessanta 60 is really close (less than 2 blocks) and very very nice, but also pricey. It is also brand new so you would be the first person living there.
Oooh I'm looking at the Sessanta 60. If the pictures online are correct though, it looks like the walls are painted bright red (so not my style). Think they'd let us paint them if we agreed to paint it back to bloody red before moving out?

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:38 am

I need to find the apartments for the broke people with credit card bills. Queens?

I did get a letter back from financial aid yesterday - $18K grant. Hella better than the $0 I was expecting. So, I guess that'll be more like $150K in debt than $200K...

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue May 05, 2009 9:42 am

I hear Astoria is nice and young, and pretty cheap. (Its part of Queens)

MoMoney

New

Post by MoMoney » Tue May 05, 2009 10:11 am

the fledgling wrote:
MoMoney wrote:Did anyone start looking at apartments yet? More specifically, did anyone check out the South Park Towers apartment building? It's literally across the street from the school... Its pretty pricey at 2,000+ for an alcove studio, but if any of you looked at it I'd appreciate your views.

For those looking, the Sessanta 60 is really close (less than 2 blocks) and very very nice, but also pricey. It is also brand new so you would be the first person living there.
Oooh I'm looking at the Sessanta 60. If the pictures online are correct though, it looks like the walls are painted bright red (so not my style). Think they'd let us paint them if we agreed to paint it back to bloody red before moving out?
I don't know if you're looking somewhere else, but the Sessanta 60 i'm talking about is this one: http://www.sessanta60.com/

They have no pictures of the apartments on that website. However, the actual studios I looked at were certainly not painted bright red. The place turned out to be out of my price range at $1,950 for a 480 square-foot 5th floor studio, but to be fair everything there is really nice. The bathroom fixtures and kitchen appliances are amazing. Also, a little cool perk is the video intercom that has a "Taxi" button so you can have the doorman get you a cab before you leave your apartment. If you're interested, don't let a broker take you there because this is one of the few buildings that will not pay the broker fee, so you'll have to pay an extra ~$2,000 to the broker for nothing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue May 05, 2009 3:37 pm

I just wanted to let all the building haters know that I found a pretty picture of Fordham!

Sorry, I am a big dork today.

revolution724

Bronze

Post by revolution724 » Tue May 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Mini-rant: FORDHAM FINANCIAL AID IS SO STUPID WITH THEIR STUPID PARENTAL INFORMATION AND TAX RETURN REQUIREMENT.

I'm almost 33 years old. I haven't had financial assistance from my parents in a decade. @#$@.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 pm

MoMoney wrote: They have no pictures of the apartments on that website. However, the actual studios I looked at were certainly not painted bright red. The place turned out to be out of my price range at $1,950 for a 480 square-foot 5th floor studio, but to be fair everything there is really nice. The bathroom fixtures and kitchen appliances are amazing. Also, a little cool perk is the video intercom that has a "Taxi" button so you can have the doorman get you a cab before you leave your apartment. If you're interested, don't let a broker take you there because this is one of the few buildings that will not pay the broker fee, so you'll have to pay an extra ~$2,000 to the broker for nothing.
Good to know that not all of the apartments are bright red. A broker had pics of a couple of 500 sq. ft. studios for $1,875 & $1,850 each, which is still a bit over my budget but not as much as $1,950, and there were these two bright red walls that really were just not attractive. The broker fee might be worth it if I stayed for all three years though (assuming they don't up the rent)...

The place looks awesome though. And do you have to pay extra for the pool??

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue May 05, 2009 10:11 pm

Oh man! When they build that thing they'll be T14 for sure! That's the coolest building ever. I'm sticking around for a 4th year!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Conan

New

Post by Conan » Tue May 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Man... It costs $25,000,000 to name the new law building after yourself or whatever you like it to be(I didn't read the details and just assuming here).
Well.. at least Fordham Law has higher monetary standard than Rutgers pharmacy school.
I was so dumbfounded to see that my pharmacy school name(just the name! no new building or anything!) was suddenly changed from Rutgers School of Pharmacy (which makes perfect sense, duh.) to Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy after I came back from summer vacation.
All the pharmacy students were wondering who this Ernest Mario was and we found out that he donated $5 million to the school and school changed the name in return.
What makes it worse is that school not only changed the name of the building but the official name of the school as well. >_<

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue May 05, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm just thinking about how "OperaSoprano Hall" will look in gilt lettering on the side of this thing. I don't have 25 million, mind you. I'm hoping the school will name the building after me when I bump Columbia out of the T6. I'm thinking four years' labor in the Fordham PR Office should get the job done, and I'll even be eligible for tuition remission by second semester!

:mrgreen:

If it wasn't already unbearably obvious, I love Fordham.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Tue May 05, 2009 11:26 pm

Just finished watching Michael Clayton tonight. In it, George Clooney plays the title character, a biglaw attorney who is a Fordham Law graduate. Have any of you watched it? What did you think?

MoMoney

New

Post by MoMoney » Wed May 06, 2009 10:44 am

the fledgling wrote:Good to know that not all of the apartments are bright red. A broker had pics of a couple of 500 sq. ft. studios for $1,875 & $1,850 each, which is still a bit over my budget but not as much as $1,950, and there were these two bright red walls that really were just not attractive. The broker fee might be worth it if I stayed for all three years though (assuming they don't up the rent)...

The place looks awesome though. And do you have to pay extra for the pool??
Yes thats extra, the pool/sauna/gym is $500 a year, which is on the cheap side for NYC gyms, and I believe that that includes access to the tennis court.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CorpRaider

New

Post by CorpRaider » Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 am

Does anyone know when classes begin in August?

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Wed May 06, 2009 11:00 am

I know orientation begins on August 17, for FT students. I'm pretty sure classes start the week after orientation, but I have been unable to confirm that on their website thus far. I'll try to confirm that, if no one else does before me.

Orientation, and start of classes is different for the PT students.

MoMoney

New

Post by MoMoney » Wed May 06, 2009 11:30 am

CorpRaider wrote:Does anyone know when classes begin in August?
I'm pretty sure orientation begins on August 17 for FT, and August 10 for FT. Then classes begin for everyone on the 24th. The dates are in the binder they sent, along with a line or two about what will be going on during orientation.

gavinxdorian

New

Post by gavinxdorian » Wed May 06, 2009 11:32 am

silenziatori wrote:Just finished watching Michael Clayton tonight. In it, George Clooney plays the title character, a biglaw attorney who is a Fordham Law graduate. Have any of you watched it? What did you think?
I basically think that Michael Clayton is the best legal thriller John Grisham wish he'd written.

While there is nothing truly "groundbreaking" about the movie, it does what it sets out to do extremely well, and the acting is simply phenomenal, especially by Tilda Swinton (who won an Oscar for her performance). One of the aspects that I really loved was that it borrowed a narrative technique from a classic thriller called "Heat," in that the protagonist (Clooney) and the antagonist (Swinton) never meet face to face until the final, cataclysmic scene. It's a very strong movie that stuck with me for a long time after I watched it. Also, the last shot of the film is brilliant. No, it did not deserve to win Best Picture (No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood were both freaking brilliant in their own ways), but it's definitely a film that those interested in the legal profession (especially BigLaw) should check out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”