Fordham Law School Class of 2012 Memories Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ManyHats

New

Re: Fordham Law School Class of 2012

Post by ManyHats » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:12 am

I have no idea what route we are taking (got the uhaul though!). Coming from Seattle - any suggestions?

You should definitely take I-80 as opposed to I-90 for the last leg... I think they meet up somewhere around Chicago, and then I-90 heads more northerly, along the Great Lakes, than you need to go. But I-80 ends on thre George Washnington Bridge -- a great way to enter Manhattan, complete with sprawling view and convenient access to the West Side Hwy.

Exciting adventure! I did it in reverse, when I moved to SF from NYS, once upon a time.

ManyHats

New

Post by ManyHats » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:15 am

Hey there --

So... a while back now (3 weeks ago!), I completed FAFSA, Fordham paperwork, HESC, TAP, got an e-MPN... and... and.... NOTHING. No word, still.

Is this normal? I am anxious to get all the bureaucratic stuff settled so that I can figure out the rest!

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:28 am

ManyHats wrote:Hey there --

So... a while back now (3 weeks ago!), I completed FAFSA, Fordham paperwork, HESC, TAP, got an e-MPN... and... and.... NOTHING. No word, still.

Is this normal? I am anxious to get all the bureaucratic stuff settled so that I can figure out the rest!
i filled out FAFSA/fordham paperwork back in january...two weeks later fordham told me to file E-MPN....after that i heard nothing until two days ago

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:33 am

jrock12 wrote:

i filled out FAFSA/fordham paperwork back in january...two weeks later fordham told me to file E-MPN....after that i heard nothing until two days ago
Shit. I just filled out the E-MPN this week. Hope that gets turned around quickly.

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:35 am

silenziatori wrote:
jrock12 wrote:

Shit. I just filled out the E-MPN this week. Hope that gets turned around quickly.
I think they'll update our accounts by the end of this month. As long as you have a certification that the loan was approved, you shouldn't have a problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:46 am

So... uh... despite withdrawing a few weeks ago I just received a 15k bill in the mail...

ManyHats

New

Post by ManyHats » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:47 am

Approved by whom? Forgive my ignorance -- I haven't dealt with student loans in many years. Is the FAFSAand Stafford app enough to get going, or should I be going to a lender? I have had lots of Access Group marketing stuff coming my way...

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:15 am

ManyHats wrote:Approved by whom? Forgive my ignorance -- I haven't dealt with student loans in many years. Is the FAFSAand Stafford app enough to get going, or should I be going to a lender? I have had lots of Access Group marketing stuff coming my way...
For Stafford Loans, you only need to fill out the Stafford Loan request form that you get from Fordham's financial aid office and then sign the e-MPN on hesc.com. For Grad Plus, you have to go through a lender or you can do it through hesc.com or salliemae.com. I did it through salliemae because it seemed the easiest way to do it.

pammy1985

Bronze

Post by pammy1985 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:22 am

For OS and the rest of us:

Official Final Transcript

As a condition of enrollment, you must provide the Law School with an official, final undergraduate transcript indicating the date your bachelor’s degree was conferred. If applicable, you must also provide official transcripts for graduate degrees. An official transcript, by definition, must be mailed directly from the degree granting institution to the Law School; thus, hand-delivered official transcripts or LSAC copies do not meet this requirement. The due date for all official, final transcripts is July 31, 2009. The transcripts should be mailed by the degree-granting institution to:

Fordham University School of Law
Office of Admissions
33 West 60th Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10023

For students who are admitted after July 31, 2009 or who are expected to receive their undergraduate or graduate degree in Summer 2009, the due date for transcripts is September 11, 2009.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ascremer

Bronze

Post by ascremer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:48 pm

jrock12 wrote:

I filled out everything in March and went throught the same process as you! I still haven't rceived my bill but I got an email yesterday saying that its possible that not all loans/grants/scholarships are included in my bill and I should not freak out because of this =)
So I guess its normal for you not to hear back yet, and don't worry the delay is not caused by you but the financial aid office so I don't think there will be anyproblem.
Besides, I doubt you're the only one in the same situaion!
My UG institution, surprisinlgy, was very flexible with late payments as long as you let them know early on and I'm hoping Fordham Law will be the same :roll:

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:06 pm

On the back of the tuition bill, there is a bit of fine print that basically states that we have four weeks of forbearance, provided we have proof that the loans have been approved.

Fordham wants your numbers, silly. You won't be kicked out of the class if your lenders screw up.

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:07 pm

I am happy to be drinking out of my Fordham water bottle. That is all.

CrazyLawStudent

New

Post by CrazyLawStudent » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:56 pm

Hey guys!!!! Wow, we only have a month left, haha!

I'm getting kind of antsy. I feel like there's something I'm missing. When do we register for classes, or are they automatically assigned to us? Are we supposed to be registering for school email accounts or anything like that? Maybe I'm just freaking out over nothing, but I feel like I must be missing out on info or something. I mean, I only just discovered my Fordham ID for the first time on the bill I received yesterday! Very different from the first year process at undergrad, and that makes me nervous I'm doing something wrong...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:02 pm

CrazyLawStudent wrote:Hey guys!!!! Wow, we only have a month left, haha!

I'm getting kind of antsy. I feel like there's something I'm missing. When do we register for classes, or are they automatically assigned to us? Are we supposed to be registering for school email accounts or anything like that? Maybe I'm just freaking out over nothing, but I feel like I must be missing out on info or something. I mean, I only just discovered my Fordham ID for the first time on the bill I received yesterday! Very different from the first year process at undergrad, and that makes me nervous I'm doing something wrong...
Hello! We are automatically assigned our classes. I have no idea when they're going to assign us our email accounts, but they haven't said anything about them yet. I assume they'll tell us within the next month. I think all you have to worry about at this point is taking care of your financial aid, getting Fordham your official UG transcript, and the immunizations certification. Oh, and the housing, can't forget the housing.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:00 pm

The financial aid office didn't call me back :( I guess I'll send them an email to back up my voice mail. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone complete the federal loan entrance interview at mappingyourfuture.org? And has anyone filled out the direct deposit form (for the loan/grant/whatever meager amount's left post-tuition balance)?

CrazyLawStudent

New

Post by CrazyLawStudent » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:22 pm

silenziatori wrote:
CrazyLawStudent wrote:Hey guys!!!! Wow, we only have a month left, haha!

Hello! We are automatically assigned our classes. I have no idea when they're going to assign us our email accounts, but they haven't said anything about them yet. I assume they'll tell us within the next month. I think all you have to worry about at this point is taking care of your financial aid, getting Fordham your official UG transcript, and the immunizations certification. Oh, and the housing, can't forget the housing.
What's up? :D Thanks, that makes me feel better. Yeah, I have to get my transcript and immunizations in still. Lucky for me I already got an apartment. I actually MAY have a room opening if anybody is interested. No promises though, my roommate is being indecisive about when he is moving out. But the rent here is cheap (comparatively)!

silenziatori

Silver

Post by silenziatori » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:49 pm

the fledgling wrote:The financial aid office didn't call me back :( I guess I'll send them an email to back up my voice mail. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone complete the federal loan entrance interview at mappingyourfuture.org? And has anyone filled out the direct deposit form (for the loan/grant/whatever meager amount's left post-tuition balance)?
I completed the entrance interview but haven't filled out the direct deposit form. Where can I find that?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OracleFromOregon

New

Post by OracleFromOregon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:22 pm

ManyHats wrote:Approved by whom? Forgive my ignorance -- I haven't dealt with student loans in many years. Is the FAFSAand Stafford app enough to get going, or should I be going to a lender? I have had lots of Access Group marketing stuff coming my way...
Did you get the one with the newspaper headline stating that you've just been confirmed as a supreme court justice? I cut it out and put it on my fridge. Sent a copy to my mother.

My somewhat significant other says he'd rather I work at a strip club than resort to private loans. I reminded him that I'll be in the evening division so that really isn't an option.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:52 pm

i know this is probably covered in gradplus 101, but after taking a look at my tuition bill...do we have to request all gradplus $ now, or can we apply for some during first semester just for next semester (i.e. i'd like to just pay my first semester bill on my own, but depending on how the semester rolls through, maybe i'd want some additional loans for second semester?)?

zoe

New

Post by zoe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:56 pm

anyone living in the dorms during AEP?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:31 am

Morning, kids! I wanted to report that the 18th St Barnes & Noble has one copy of the "Intro" book left, but it's new ($45). I snagged the last used copy. Also, it is a bad idea to attempt to sing Broadway standards in a karaoke bar while toasted. That is all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ris84

New

Post by Ris84 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:13 am

Do you guys think it's a mistake to buy "Intro's" second edition and photocopy any missing materials from the third edition later on?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:24 am

Ris84 wrote:Do you guys think it's a mistake to buy "Intro's" second edition and photocopy any missing materials from the third edition later on?
If it were me, I'd just fork over the extra cash because that could be a bit of a headache (I haven't seen the 2nd edition, but from reading the intro to the 3rd it sounds like changes were made throughout--you'd have to read through both, or at least skim through, to see the differences). Plus I hate making photocopies.

And silenz, I remember seeing the direct deposit form somewhere on the website, but haven't had the time recently to go searching for it. Will do so this week though, and will post it when I find it (unless of course someone beats me to it :wink: ).

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:45 am

Ris84 wrote:Do you guys think it's a mistake to buy "Intro's" second edition and photocopy any missing materials from the third edition later on?
definitely a bad idea...i have both and they are two very different books (surprisingly)...second edition is more than twice the size of the third edition

ManhattanWombat

New

Post by ManhattanWombat » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:03 pm

Here is the direct deposit forms which Ms. McNatt sent my way ...

http://www.fordham.edu/images/finaid/di ... eement.pdf

Hope this helps :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”