University of Oklahoma College of Law CO 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
patrickd139

Gold

Re: University of Oklahoma College of Law CO 2012

Post by patrickd139 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:40 am

Congrats New Madrid!

I created a Facebook Group if you guys are so inclined.

Edit: Linkfail

gspence

New

Post by gspence » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Looks like I'll be joining you two!

childersa

New

Post by childersa » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:41 pm

edited
Last edited by childersa on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gspence

New

Post by gspence » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 am

betasteve wrote:
childersa wrote:
gspence wrote:Looks like I'll be joining you two!
Grammar fail.
--ImageRemoved--
Haha, thanks betasteve, but perhaps I was being too casual. I should have said, "It appears as though the three of us will be classmates at the University of Oklahoma."

I really don't mind being corrected, I'm just amazed that out of all the grammatically unsound posts on the TLS forums, mine was deemed "fail" worthy.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:49 am

I went to OU for undergrad and if you guys need any advice on places to live I can help y'all out. If you're looking for something furnished, OU Traditions is the school owned apartment complex. It's really close to the law school (within walking distance) but its a tad more expensive (around 450 a month but thats probably pretty cheap for some people). I think a lot of international students live there and undergrads I imagine but they are fairly new (about 2 or 3 years old).

If you want to stay away from the "party" complexes then I would not recommend the "commons" or the "greens." I forget their full names at the moment...

Anyway, I hope that helps! I miss Norman...

P.S. I'm a Texan and there was never any animosity towards my car with Texan plates but you are right about Normanites having less to do so you might get more stares wearing a burnt orange shirt than you would in Austin in the reverse situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nowwhat

New

Post by nowwhat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:45 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:I went to OU for undergrad and if you guys need any advice on places to live I can help y'all out. If you're looking for something furnished, OU Traditions is the school owned apartment complex. It's really close to the law school (within walking distance) but its a tad more expensive (around 450 a month but thats probably pretty cheap for some people). I think a lot of international students live there and undergrads I imagine but they are fairly new (about 2 or 3 years old).

If you want to stay away from the "party" complexes then I would not recommend the "commons" or the "greens." I forget their full names at the moment...

P.S. I'm a Texan and there was never any animosity towards my car with Texan plates but you are right about Normanites having less to do so you might get more stares wearing a burnt orange shirt than you would in Austin in the reverse situation.
Can you recommend any quiet apartment complexes? My SO will be moving with me and does not want to live near rowdy undergrads.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:57 pm

nowwhat wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:I went to OU for undergrad and if you guys need any advice on places to live I can help y'all out. If you're looking for something furnished, OU Traditions is the school owned apartment complex. It's really close to the law school (within walking distance) but its a tad more expensive (around 450 a month but thats probably pretty cheap for some people). I think a lot of international students live there and undergrads I imagine but they are fairly new (about 2 or 3 years old).

Can you recommend any quiet apartment complexes? My SO will be moving with me and does not want to live near rowdy undergrads.
If you have time to go house hunting before moving in I would suggest living in say a duplex or a small house since thats where graduate students and older students tend to live. And of course the further you go from campus the quieter the neighborhoods are. So places east of 12th Ave., south near highway 9, and north around Robinson will be the most ideal. Anything west of highway 35 is also doable but its way more expensive and the housing there is generally for the permanent citizens of Norman rather than the students (ie. not many properties for rent vs. for sale). Also note that apt complexes with anything like "university" or "campus" in its name will be geared towards the UGs.

Hope this helped, if not, I can definitely clarify any questions you might have.

bbeadel

New

Post by bbeadel » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:59 am

I visited and was accepted the next day about 2 weeks ago. Sent my deposit last week. Everyone was incredibly nice. Hopefully I don't get too much hell for the Texas Tech sticker on my truck (I'll put an OU one on there too for good measure and feel conflicted). I'm also looking for places to live. I want to be someplace where I can study but that still has a social scene.

nowwhat

New

Post by nowwhat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:04 am

bbeadel wrote:I visited and was accepted the next day about 2 weeks ago. Sent my deposit last week. Everyone was incredibly nice. Hopefully I don't get too much hell for the Texas Tech sticker on my truck (I'll put an OU one on there too for good measure and feel conflicted). I'm also looking for places to live. I want to be someplace where I can study but that still has a social scene.
Congrats on your acceptance!! I'm still looking for a house divided bumper sticker or license plate holder, lol.

EDIT: Found one! http://www.soonerplanet.com/WStore/WSto ... p_range%3d

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emergencybarbie

New

Post by emergencybarbie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Has anyone received financial aid info?

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:11 pm

emergencybarbie wrote:Has anyone received financial aid info?
Not me. I just got my OU email account set up, but no FA info yet.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:25 pm

New Madrid wrote:
When I called and asked about FA, they told me decisions would be emailed when they're made. She also said they started mid-April but hadn't come close to finishing.

emergencybarbie

New

Post by emergencybarbie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:32 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
New Madrid wrote:
When I called and asked about FA, they told me decisions would be emailed when they're made. She also said they started mid-April but hadn't come close to finishing.
very proactive of you! Thanks for the info!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:21 am

emergencybarbie wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
New Madrid wrote:
very proactive of you! Thanks for the info!
No prob. Being paranoid about not making ends meet with government loans, it's what I do.

coot master

New

Post by coot master » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:30 am

im not going to OU....(i live across the country so it wouldnt really make much sense)

but i just wanted to say whats up to all of you. my whole family is from oklahoma... my mom went to OU and i love oklahoma. i've visited OU a few times and it is an awesome looking school. looks like a lot of fun.

good luck guys!

nowwhat

New

Post by nowwhat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:42 pm

New Madrid wrote:
Stupid question, but how did you get the e-mail account set up?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:50 pm

Do you have your OUNet ID (also called a '4+4')? If so, I think that automatically creates your email account, which you aan then edit if you don't like the assigned address. Click on the 'Webmail' option from the 'Students' drop-down menu. That will take you to the log-in screen. If I remember correctly, your 4+4 and password are all you need to access the account.

If that doesn't work, call OU's IT Dept. They were helpful and friendly the one time I dealt with them. (405) 325-HELP

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nowwhat

New

Post by nowwhat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:01 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Do you have your OUNet ID (also called a '4+4')? If so, I think that automatically creates your email account, which you aan then edit if you don't like the assigned address. Click on the 'Webmail' option from the 'Students' drop-down menu. That will take you to the log-in screen. If I remember correctly, your 4+4 and password are all you need to access the account.

If that doesn't work, call OU's IT Dept. They were helpful and friendly the one time I dealt with them. (405) 325-HELP
Oh lord. I don't have that either. :(

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:12 pm

nowwhat wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Do you have your OUNet ID (also called a '4+4')? If so, I think that automatically creates your email account, which you aan then edit if you don't like the assigned address. Click on the 'Webmail' option from the 'Students' drop-down menu. That will take you to the log-in screen. If I remember correctly, your 4+4 and password are all you need to access the account.

Not a problem. Call Kathie Madden at the OU Law admissions office. She'll hook you up.

New Madrid

New

Post by New Madrid » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:58 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
nowwhat wrote:

Not a problem. Call Kathie Madden at the OU Law admissions office. She'll hook you up.
Yes.

gspence

New

Post by gspence » Fri May 01, 2009 12:16 pm

New Madrid wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:
nowwhat wrote:

Yes.
How/when did you receive your OUNet ID? Not sure if I need to request mine or be patient. I didn't receive my acceptance package until three weeks after they sent it (c'mon, priority mail!) so I don't know if there's more info on its way or if it's vanished into the ether.

Kathie Madden is the shiznit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

emergencybarbie

New

Post by emergencybarbie » Tue May 12, 2009 5:21 pm

I just got my financial aid info. Anyone else?

My notification doesn't mention the money they offered me with my acceptance. Is this normal?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:50 pm

No finaid info here.

I imagine if they didn't include your scholarship info, that means you can borrow up to that much more, yes? Models and bottles lifestyle in law school at the expense of Uncle Sam/your financial future, ftw.

starrynight62

New

Post by starrynight62 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:25 pm

I don't really belong here, but I thought I'd butt in and ask a question. I'm taking the LSAT in a few weeks and planning on applying to OU for next fall. The only scholarship information I can find on their website talks about scholarship applications being handed out after classes start in the fall. But they do make some financial offers with acceptance, right? Anyone know what kind of numbers you'd need to be "recruited"?

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 pm

starrynight62 wrote:I don't really belong here, but I thought I'd butt in and ask a question. I'm taking the LSAT in a few weeks and planning on applying to OU for next fall. The only scholarship information I can find on their website talks about scholarship applications being handed out after classes start in the fall. But they do make some financial offers with acceptance, right? Anyone know what kind of numbers you'd need to be "recruited"?
I got a scholarship offer 2-3 weeks after my admissions packet arrived.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”