Pepperdine 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
lawgirl86

New

Re: Pepperdine 2012

Post by lawgirl86 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:42 pm

i just accepted pepperdine!! so excited!
do u guys think it will be impossible to live in malibu without a car?

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:46 pm

I'm starting to get really excited about Pepperdine. For the last couple months I've been set on George Mason, however, I went out there for their ASW a week ago and I wasn't too impressed. Anyway, I want to work in Cali and the more I hear, even though Pepperdine isn't ranked as high as George Mason, both are regional schools so it makes sense to go to Pepperdine considering my future ambitions of living/working in SoCal. Any comments on this? Plus, I really need a break from the cold, going to school at BYU for 4 years has been rough because I love the heat. It would be sweet to wear flip-flops and shorts year-round. The only thing that concerns me is the tuition/cost of living, however, quality of life is likely much better in SoCal vs. DC, so hopefully this Friday at the ASD in Malibu I'll be able to finally make up my mind. See you all this weekend!

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:59 pm

Has anyone else not got a decision yet?????? I got excited just at the thought of getting accepted here after reading some of these posts. For some reason I can really picture myself in some Pepperdine Law apparel. :D :D :lol:

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:33 pm

lawgirl86 wrote:i just accepted pepperdine!! so excited!
Congrats! and Yes. I think even if you live on campus that would be difficult. Getting groceries would be impossible. The campus is relatively secluded and so is Malibu in general. COL in Malibu is very high, so most live in small towns nearby where the commute is 15-20 minutes and public transportation is almost non existent. I know Santa Monica has a decent bus system, but I don't think it goes to Malibu, some locals on here might know though.

snowboardkrazy

New

Post by snowboardkrazy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:26 pm

OutofBako wrote:Did anyone get the email with the agenda for the 3rd? It's structured differently than I thought. They are sending us a reading assignment next week to go to an open house? I thought I had a vacation until August?!
hahaha that's EXACTLY what i said when i read that email!!! :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:00 pm

As far as I know, when you visit you will get to attend the Torts class that I'm in with Dean Gash. It ought to be fun. The reading assignment is probably just so you know what's going on in class. That's only my guess.

I look forward to having all of you here!

lawgirl86

New

Post by lawgirl86 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:45 pm

OutofBako wrote:
lawgirl86 wrote:i just accepted pepperdine!! so excited!
Congrats! and Yes. I think even if you live on campus that would be difficult. Getting groceries would be impossible. The campus is relatively secluded and so is Malibu in general. COL in Malibu is very high, so most live in small towns nearby where the commute is 15-20 minutes and public transportation is almost non existent. I know Santa Monica has a decent bus system, but I don't think it goes to Malibu, some locals on here might know though.
Yeah thats what i thought as well! I am hoping to come out there a couple of weeks before school starts in order to buy everything I need..including a car

lawgirl86

New

Post by lawgirl86 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Where is everyone planning on living next year?

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:09 pm

lawgirl86 wrote:Where is everyone planning on living next year?
Not a clue! This weekend will be my first trip to Cali ever. I'm thinking Santa Monica/Venice Beach or Calabasas?? Any thoughts on the on campus housing? It'd be super convenient but I dont know if I want to return to communal campus living...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:15 pm

masondixon wrote:
Not a clue! This weekend will be my first trip to Cali ever. I'm thinking Santa Monica/Venice Beach or Calabasas?? Any thoughts on the on campus housing? It'd be super convenient but I dont know if I want to return to communal campus living...

Make sure to visit on campus housing when you are on campus this week. Singles housing is a whole lot like living in a dorm all over again. It works for some people and doesn't for others. Fortunately, I live in married housing, which is much more like a regular apartment.

Calabasas isn't that bad a choice. Yes, you have to drive through the canyon all the time, but it's usually a quicker drive than from Santa Monica.

In my experience, California drivers are among the worst, so driving anywhere can be annoying.

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Hey does anyone know the commute times from Santa Monica & Calabasa to Campus. Those are the two places I'm looking at as well. I'd prefer the Santa Monica area but not if it's a lot longer commute.

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:51 pm

byu85 wrote:Hey does anyone know the commute times from Santa Monica & Calabasa to Campus. Those are the two places I'm looking at as well. I'd prefer the Santa Monica area but not if it's a lot longer commute.
I live on campus, so I can't tell you exactly what the drive is like in the morning when you would be going to school.

However, I know what the drive is like at other times. I go to church in Santa Monica. It can take between 25-30 minutes to get there on Sunday morning. It takes 35-45 to get home in the afternoon. It takes 45-55 to drive back for evening services. As I said in my previous post, California drivers aren't the best. Drivers on the PCH have no concept of lane structure. You know, slow drivers stay in the right lane? Plus, there are two dozen red lights along the way. Then you always have to watch for the idiot that's going to slam on his brakes when he finds a parking space on the side of the road.

Driving through the canyon can also be rough when there's a lot of traffic. There's always going to be that person holding everyone else back because he is afraid to drive through the canyon. Despite this, if you don't have to get on the 101, I would say that driving through the canyon will generally be quicker than driving from Santa Monica.

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate for next year?? I'd be up for living anywhere really as long I can make it to the beach in a quick fashion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:06 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:
byu85 wrote:Hey does anyone know the commute times from Santa Monica & Calabasa to Campus. Those are the two places I'm looking at as well. I'd prefer the Santa Monica area but not if it's a lot longer commute.
I live on campus, so I can't tell you exactly what the drive is like in the morning when you would be going to school.

However, I know what the drive is like at other times. I go to church in Santa Monica. It can take between 25-30 minutes to get there on Sunday morning. It takes 35-45 to get home in the afternoon. It takes 45-55 to drive back for evening services. As I said in my previous post, California drivers aren't the best. Drivers on the PCH have no concept of lane structure. You know, slow drivers stay in the right lane? Plus, there are two dozen red lights along the way. Then you always have to watch for the idiot that's going to slam on his brakes when he finds a parking space on the side of the road.

Driving through the canyon can also be rough when there's a lot of traffic. There's always going to be that person holding everyone else back because he is afraid to drive through the canyon. Despite this, if you don't have to get on the 101, I would say that driving through the canyon will generally be quicker than driving from Santa Monica.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Really helpful. When I'm out there Friday I plan on driving around to get my bearings. I guess if I live in Santa Monica and get stuck in the morning commute at least there will be an ocean off to the side instead of a concrete freeway. I bet the drive home at night during sunset would be awesome too. I am getting anxious to get out to Cali this fall.

lawgirl86

New

Post by lawgirl86 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:29 pm

I think I will be living on campus for the first year....I cant come down to Cali until school starts so I feel like this is the most covenient option for me right now. Hopefully on campus housing wont be too bad!

masondixon wrote:

socalgirl818

New

Post by socalgirl818 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:42 pm

The drive time from calabasas is less than 15 minutes, and from santa monica it's about 20-25. It's totally not a bad drive, especially since you get to look at the ocean for most of it (if you are coming from santa monica). It can get really nasty if there are any accidents or rockslides, which happen pretty frequently, and it could take up to an hour to get up to malibu from santa monica.

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:46 pm

lawgirl86 wrote:I think I will be living on campus for the first year....I cant come down to Cali until school starts so I feel like this is the most covenient option for me right now. Hopefully on campus housing wont be too bad!

masondixon wrote:
Have you applied for on campus housing yet? I'm beginning to think thats going to be the wisest option for me next year, but haven't heard anything from admissions about deadlines or how to apply.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cqphan89

New

Post by cqphan89 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Take a look at this from Pepperdine Housing Web site. For off campus housing or room rentals.

https://www.places4students.com/places/ ... f1E0TtU%3d

Also contact the school. They have so many resources that they can help you with.

good luck.

lawgirl86

New

Post by lawgirl86 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 pm

masondixon wrote:
lawgirl86 wrote:I think I will be living on campus for the first year....I cant come down to Cali until school starts so I feel like this is the most covenient option for me right now. Hopefully on campus housing wont be too bad!

masondixon wrote:
Have you applied for on campus housing yet? I'm beginning to think thats going to be the wisest option for me next year, but haven't heard anything from admissions about deadlines or how to apply.
Yeah I actually applied for on campus housing last week...the application is available online....you have to pay a $500 deposit. Housing is not guranteed though so if you dont end up getting it then you get your deposit back.

snowboardkrazy

New

Post by snowboardkrazy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:16 am

Yeah I actually applied for on campus housing last week...the application is available online....you have to pay a $500 deposit. Housing is not guranteed though so if you dont end up getting it then you get your deposit back.[/quote]

dont you need a pepperdine email address to apply for housing?? i want to apply, and i already paid my deposit online, but i dont have a pepperdine email account.... when did you get yours? after you paid your deposit????

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 am

snowboardkrazy wrote:Yeah I actually applied for on campus housing last week...the application is available online....you have to pay a $500 deposit. Housing is not guranteed though so if you dont end up getting it then you get your deposit back.
dont you need a pepperdine email address to apply for housing?? i want to apply, and i already paid my deposit online, but i dont have a pepperdine email account.... when did you get yours? after you paid your deposit????[/quote]

I think as long as you have set up your WaveNet account you are all set. You just need you id number which is found on the top left of the wavenet homepage.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 am

ferg0146 wrote:Pepperdine is definitely up there for me too but I think I'm gonna have to come out in March and check it out before I decide. I grew up in Ventura County but have lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin for the past 6 years so I'm dying to get back to Southern California!
Doesn't ppdine have a nice entertainment law program? Plus, I mean, Malibu...come on!

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:30 pm

Um 17 page reading assignment for a class we get to sit in on? :shock: Seriously? I guess it's already begun.

lawgirl86

New

Post by lawgirl86 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:53 pm

masondixon wrote:
snowboardkrazy wrote:Yeah I actually applied for on campus housing last week...the application is available online....you have to pay a $500 deposit. Housing is not guranteed though so if you dont end up getting it then you get your deposit back.
dont you need a pepperdine email address to apply for housing?? i want to apply, and i already paid my deposit online, but i dont have a pepperdine email account.... when did you get yours? after you paid your deposit????
I think as long as you have set up your WaveNet account you are all set. You just need you id number which is found on the top left of the wavenet homepage.[/quote]

Yeah, the UID is the only thing that you need to apply for housing. I didnt even use my pepperdine email to apply, but if you want to use it you can actually access you email account from your wavenet account, its on the top right hand corner, I actually didnt even realize it was there until a week ago

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:56 pm

OutofBako wrote:Um 17 page reading assignment for a class we get to sit in on? :shock: Seriously? I guess it's already begun.
Definitely going to be my plane reading. How thorough are they going to expect us to get with this? Should my highlighter get involved?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”