Pepperdine 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
xjohnsonx

New

Re: Pepperdine 2012

Post by xjohnsonx » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:16 pm

I just got in too. I will likely attend. I was interested in the MBA/JD program, I will probably do the GMAT thing soon.
I go to undergrad here and love it, can't imagine leaving Malibu just yet.

kbookbinder

New

Post by kbookbinder » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:06 pm

OutofBako wrote:
masondixon wrote:well i hope to meet you all out in malibu! any prospects on living situations?
I'm hoping to move in early August, hopefully with my boyfriend. I've beeing using http://www.move.com and http://www.placesforstudents.com to start looking at apartments. I also found http://www.calabasasrentals.com that has some nice townhouses that arent TOO expensive. My guess is I'll either be in a townhouse in Calabasas, Malibu Canyon Apts, or Archstone in Calabasas. Cost of living will be an adjustment, even from within CA.
does pepperdine have grad student housing?

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:09 pm

They do have grad housing, but it's very limited and restrictive. No alcohol on campus, and no overnight guests of the opposite sex. They also have married dorms, but again, very limited and difficult to get. They are also, by month, more expensive than an apartment in Calabasas.

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:04 pm

ive heard of a few students renting out individual rooms in families' large homes there in malibu. is that normal? it seems like a good thrifty option, but im not sure how i would feel about that.

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:23 pm

I've seen the same. On placesforstudents, families put ads for a student to live in their homes. I don't think I could do that. What I could do is rent a guest house from a family, those are on there too. It must be nice to be loaded...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nike247

New

Post by nike247 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:28 pm

do you need to take gmats for jd/mba? is this all schools or just pepperdine?

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:57 pm

maybe cher will let me rent one of her guest quarters. ha. i mean how often is she really in that huge house anyway? and walking distance to campus. done.

nike - pretty sure all schools require the gmat for jd/mba. its the mba part that'll get ya. im not 100% but all schools ive looked at require both lsat and gmat. good luck!

rainethe

New

Post by rainethe » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Just received my acceptance letter this morning. I was surprised to get it so soon (my application didn't go complete until February 20). :D

I haven't heard back from all the schools I've applied to yet, but Pepperdine is definitely my #1 pick right now.

Mr. Costello

New

Post by Mr. Costello » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:54 pm

rainethe wrote:Just received my acceptance letter this morning. I was surprised to get it so soon (my application didn't go complete until February 20). :D

I haven't heard back from all the schools I've applied to yet, but Pepperdine is definitely my #1 pick right now.
Congratulations on your acceptance!

What are your stats, if you don't mind? Pepperdine is right up there for me as well, but I've yet to hear from them. I applied a million years ago...or so it feels.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rainethe

New

Post by rainethe » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Mr. Costello wrote:
Congratulations on your acceptance!

What are your stats, if you don't mind? Pepperdine is right up there for me as well, but I've yet to hear from them. I applied a million years ago...or so it feels.
Thanks! :D

I have a 3.88 GPA and 161 LSAT

I hope you hear from them soon! Where else have you applied? Besides Pepperdine, I've only heard from my two "safe" schools.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:31 pm

Just returned home from house-sitting for my parents to find my first acceptance letter! Dated 2/24 after going complete 2/20 quite a quick turnaround. Scholarship is enticing but I am a little worried about this top 1/3 business. There's no way I could afford this at sticker price...

That being said, I hope to visit Malibu soon! It looks beautiful. This is the only CA school I applied to, but I am interested in dispute resolution and international law, so Pepperdine looks like a good option!
Last edited by sapereaude2012 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Congrats on all y'all's acceptances! Have any of you received information regarding an admitted students day? Email correspondence with admissions led me to believe it would be sometime in early April, and the SOL calendar online has a law school open house set for April 3. I'm wondering if these are the same?

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:48 am

The 3rd? Why can't they hold these things on a Saturday?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rainethe

New

Post by rainethe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:46 am

sapereaude2012 wrote: Scholarship is enticing but I am a little worried about this top 1/3 business. There's no way I could afford this at sticker price...

That being said, I hope to visit Malibu soon! It looks beatiful.
I agree, the scholarship I received is nice, but the condition that you have to be in the top 1/3 to keep it is certainly unnerving! Congrats on being accepted! :D

Pepperdine is gorgeous. I've never actually been up to campus, but have driven by several times (I have relatives in the LA area), and I think that you'd be hard-pressed to name a more beautiful campus location.
masondixon wrote:Have any of you received information regarding an admitted students day? Email correspondence with admissions led me to believe it would be sometime in early April, and the SOL calendar online has a law school open house set for April 3. I'm wondering if these are the same?
I've very curious about an ASD as well - I would really like to attend but haven't heard anything. It's already March - they really need to settle on a date.
OutofBako wrote:The 3rd? Why can't they hold these things on a Saturday?
I think they like you to get a sense of how the school is when classes are in session, you know? But it does makes scheduling much more of a hassle (having to miss class, etc.).

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:53 pm

I just got my rejection from UCLA yesterday, so I'm almost 100% going to Pepperdine. :D

rainethe

New

Post by rainethe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:08 pm

OutofBako wrote:I just got my rejection from UCLA yesterday, so I'm almost 100% going to Pepperdine. :D
Sorry about the rejection, but glad to hear that you're going to be a fellow...um, Pepperdinian? Is that the the correct term? :D

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:58 pm

rainethe wrote:
OutofBako wrote:I just got my rejection from UCLA yesterday, so I'm almost 100% going to Pepperdine. :D
Sorry about the rejection, but glad to hear that you're going to be a fellow...um, Pepperdinian? Is that the the correct term? :D
Thanks. I dunno if that's the right term. Let's just say fellow wave lol. I expected the rejection from UCLA. Oddly enough, my mom took the news worse than I did I think. My poor mom, she would think I could get into Yale if I applied.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ythunder

New

Post by Ythunder » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:40 pm

I just joined the Class of 2012 facebook group. If you have one here's the link:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... 923&ref=mf

I visited the campus a few days ago and decided it's a great fit for me! I'm excited! Anyone looking into housing yet?

rainethe

New

Post by rainethe » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Ythunder wrote: I visited the campus a few days ago and decided it's a great fit for me! I'm excited! Anyone looking into housing yet?
If you have the time, would you mind sharing your thoughts and impressions of Pepperdine? I am planning on attending the ASD.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:08 pm

rainethe wrote:
Ythunder wrote: I visited the campus a few days ago and decided it's a great fit for me! I'm excited! Anyone looking into housing yet?
If you have the time, would you mind sharing your thoughts and impressions of Pepperdine? I am planning on attending the ASD.
+1 I am hoping to attend the ASD as well. Pepperdine is the only CA school I applied to though, so I'm not sure if I can justify spending the $$

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:30 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:
rainethe wrote:
+1 I am hoping to attend the ASD as well. Pepperdine is the only CA school I applied to though, so I'm not sure if I can justify spending the $$
I just saw their email (don't know if it was standard issue because I requested more info) that they will reimburce (sp?) for travel expenses in the form of a scholarship to attend ASD.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rainethe

New

Post by rainethe » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:16 am

I just saw their email (don't know if it was standard issue because I requested more info) that they will reimburce (sp?) for travel expenses in the form of a scholarship to attend ASD.
Yes, I received the same thing:
Travel Expense Scholarship

We are very pleased to offer a Travel Expense scholarship, if you ultimately choose to enroll at Pepperdine. We will reimburse up to $400 for air travel and hotel costs, in the form of a scholarship. Please submit receipts to us within 45 days of your visit, and we will apply the cost (up to $400) of the visit as scholarship. Thus, your first semester’s tuition due would be reduced by this amount. Travel expenses are not reimbursed directly
Of course, the catch is you have to attend Pepperdine. :wink:

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:40 pm

i'll be there too!!! hoping to convince them into giving me some scholarship money when i get out there. are they opening the law school apartments on campus for us? or are you guys all staying in hotels? are there hotels in malibu??

Ythunder

New

Post by Ythunder » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:
rainethe wrote:

I'm really glad I went when it wasn't ASD because if I had I would have thought the entire campus was great at putting on an impressive show. How could each and every person (employees and students alike) be so friendly and so happy to be *there? So when you see this on ASD -and I'm sure you will- take it from me, the it's not an ASD show. When you get there you will know what I'm talking about.

Other than that the school has so much to offer. You have a world famous Dean -don't get me wrong -I am for gay marriage and adore Clinton but the fact remains that Ken Starr is a big deal and his influence brings world class guest speakers. There are opportunities to hear him present on something he is about to do as a working lawyer and students there are encouraged to poke wholes in his argument. You don't have to take advantage but it's a very cool option. He is said to be a very nice and reserved in expressing his political stances (but will share if asked).

They have all kinds of certificate programs. I was really intrigued by the Entrepreneurship program. You can study abroad through any ABA school and Pepperdine is the only school with a full abraod campus (in London). They also have a mentor program where each 1L is matched up with one Prof and a few students to help them navigate the area and law school. Professors have an "open door" policy and my guide said that they give out their cell phone numbers and take calls 24/7.

The only thing I did not like about the campus was the gym. My guide said the were remolding it and the guy at the gym said he thinks they might move it all together. I hope so! That place is a dungeon.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I don't know if I'll make it to ASD yet (have to save up to move) but I'm sure if you do you'll have a very nice time!

Sprizzle721

New

Post by Sprizzle721 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:36 pm

I've applied to Pepperdine, and I was wondering whether the scholarship offer comes with the acceptance letter. Is/was there a separate process for applying for scholarships?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”