Pepperdine 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
masondixon

New

Pepperdine 2012

Post by masondixon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:36 pm

Pepperdine is the first school I've heard from in my top 3. I'm hoping to get out for a visit and decide then. Anyone else Malibu bound?

( i bet we will have better tans than all these NYU and Harvard people :wink: )

Mr. Costello

New

Re: Pepperdine 2012

Post by Mr. Costello » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:30 pm

Pepperdine is definitely among my top choices - but I haven't heard from them yet... When did you apply, go complete, etc.?

ferg0146

New

Post by ferg0146 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Pepperdine is definitely up there for me too but I think I'm gonna have to come out in March and check it out before I decide. I grew up in Ventura County but have lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin for the past 6 years so I'm dying to get back to Southern California!

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Actually my decision letter was pretty surprising to me. I applied Jan 5, went complete on the 7th, and got my package Jan 24. I've never been to California (born and raised in MS), but am planning a visit to the campus late March. I hear its basically paradise.

When did you apply? What are your other options? For me I'm deciding among Pepperdine, SMU, and Georgetown. Let's see how far apart I can spread my schools.

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:52 pm

I'll probably be there for the Class of 2012!!
masondixon wrote:Actually my decision letter was pretty surprising to me. I applied Jan 5, went complete on the 7th, and got my package Jan 24. I've never been to California (born and raised in MS), but am planning a visit to the campus late March. I hear its basically paradise.

When did you apply? What are your other options? For me I'm deciding among Pepperdine, SMU, and Georgetown. Let's see how far apart I can spread my schools.
Minnesota and Wisconsin? You poor thing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jgerber9

New

Post by jgerber9 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:18 pm

masondixon wrote:Actually my decision letter was pretty surprising to me. I applied Jan 5, went complete on the 7th, and got my package Jan 24. I've never been to California (born and raised in MS), but am planning a visit to the campus late March. I hear its basically paradise.

My cousins live pretty close to the campus and I visited many times, paradise describes it perfectly. The campus is absolutely beautiful.

SoCal123

New

Post by SoCal123 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Someone wrote this on their profile at lawschoolnumbers.com:

"November 25, 2008 - Sent apps into Seattle and USF I am not going to apply to Pepperdine, because their app asks what your Christian Mission is. For some reason that pissed me off and I also don't want to spend the 50 bucks."

Can someone confirm if the Pepperdine application REALLY asks what your Christian Mission is? :shock:

If it does, I have this to say to everyone who claims Pepperdine is actively seeking diversity of thought..... 8)

jgerber9

New

Post by jgerber9 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:32 pm

SoCal123 wrote:Someone wrote this on their profile at lawschoolnumbers.com:

"November 25, 2008 - Sent apps into Seattle and USF I am not going to apply to Pepperdine, because their app asks what your Christian Mission is. For some reason that pissed me off and I also don't want to spend the 50 bucks."

Can someone confirm if the Pepperdine application REALLY asks what your Christian Mission is? :shock:

If it does, I have this to say to everyone who claims Pepperdine is actively seeking diversity of thought..... 8)
I applied there. What they actually ask you to do is reply to their Mission Statement...which yes is kind of some Christian Goodness crap (I'm Jewish so this kind of pissed me off a little too, but the question wasn't like "Why does Jesus rule?" or anything)...but hey...good school...great place...I'll play ball for now.

cqphan89

New

Post by cqphan89 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:47 pm

Well, it is a Christian school.

But for those who are not Christian, if I understand correctly they really don't shove it down your throat or anything, it's a really open and accepting university.

The statement isn't that bad. A lot of people respond to the mission statement without even touching upon religion. Bolded below is the key to their mission statement and when they say Christian values they mean living life and practicing with good judgment and morals. I do believe, most law schools, if not all, share a common theme, they just don't always specify it.

Lastly, this is basically another place for you to show another avenue of yourself and your writing abilities. You can be creative and weave a diversity statement into the mix or just another concept about yourself. It's just another essay to sell your application to the adcomms.

Response to Mission Statement

Each applicant must respond to the Pepperdine University's Mission Statement, which is:

Pepperdine is a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose, service, and leadership.

The School of Law seeks to further this mission, and encourages adherence to the highest moral and ethical standards.

How would you expect to contribute to this environment or identify with this mission? An applicant's file will not be considered complete, and thus will not be reviewed without a response to the mission.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SoCal123

New

Post by SoCal123 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:20 pm

I will refer you to the "Modern Use" section on Wikipedia.

Modern Use

Today, in the 21st century, the phrases "Christian values" and family values are being used by conservative political groups [2] [3] [4] to describe the following values:
censorship of sexual content, especially in movies and on television
the desirability of laws against induced abortion
sexual abstinence outside of marriage
the desirability of laws against same-sex marriage and support for laws against the acceptance of homosexuality into mainstream society
the desirability of reinstituting faculty-led prayer in taxpayer-funded schools

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_values

THIS is the "Christian Values" that their mission statement is talking about.

The fact that they endorse one of their professors to go on paid commercials and use their law school name to actively campaign FOR proposition 8 (the ban on same-sex marriage) speaks volumes.

If you cannot see this then you are just putting your head in the sand.

In my humble opinion, of course. 8)

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:39 pm

SoCal123 wrote:I will refer you to the "Modern Use" section on Wikipedia.

Modern Use

Today, in the 21st century, the phrases "Christian values" and family values are being used by conservative political groups [2] [3] [4] to describe the following values:
censorship of sexual content, especially in movies and on television
the desirability of laws against induced abortion
sexual abstinence outside of marriage
the desirability of laws against same-sex marriage and support for laws against the acceptance of homosexuality into mainstream society
the desirability of reinstituting faculty-led prayer in taxpayer-funded schools

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_values

THIS is the "Christian Values" that their mission statement is talking about.

The fact that they endorse one of their professors to go on paid commercials and use their law school name to actively campaign FOR proposition 8 (the ban on same-sex marriage) speaks volumes.

If you cannot see this then you are just putting your head in the sand.

In my humble opinion, of course. 8)
Yes because we all know that wikipedia is the end all-be all for definitive and accurate information :roll:
I don't really consider myself a Christian and I voted no on prop 8. I still applied and am probably going to attend Pepperdine. I responded to the mission statement by focusing on ethics, integrity, and responsibility. I did not mention religion. Yes, people don't agree with some of the stances that certain professors take there. But a lot of people disagree with some professors out of Berkeley too. You have to pick your poison, you're bound to disagree with something a professor does or a stance the school takes.

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:06 pm

Might I just take the cynical reply and say that if you don't agree then you don't have to go there. No one is forcing you.

As for the mission statement. I was told that its purpose is to scope out students of integrity and high character - Christian or not. Though be prepared for a dry campus if you live in the law school apartments.

Also, looking more and more like I'll be in Malibu in the Fall. Any word yet on an admitted students day? Admissions told me it should be around the first of April.

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:27 pm

masondixon wrote:Might I just take the cynical reply and say that if you don't agree then you don't have to go there. No one is forcing you.

As for the mission statement. I was told that its purpose is to scope out students of integrity and high character - Christian or not. Though be prepared for a dry campus if you live in the law school apartments.

Also, looking more and more like I'll be in Malibu in the Fall. Any word yet on an admitted students day? Admissions told me it should be around the first of April.
I didn't mean to sound cynical. I just meant that disagreeing with a professor on an issue is common and its unfair to dismiss the entire school on that basis. I also was irritated that someone who seems to have no interest in attending the school would try to stir up controversy for people who are looking forward to going there. Totally agree with your interpretation of the mission statement though. I haven't heard about admitted students day, though I saw a bulletin from last year's admitted students BBQ and it was in June. Hopefully this year's will be early.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aero

New

Post by aero » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm really looking forward to visiting the school and I'm hoping to get a better sense of the overall atmosphere while I'm there. It would be nice to go on an ASD if there is one, just for the convenience of having things set up already, but I'm a little skeptical that that would be the best time to get a feel for what things are "really" like on the day-to-day. I guess regardless of when I go, I'm really interested to meet current students there and to hear their experiences.

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:49 pm

OutofBako wrote:
masondixon wrote:Might I just take the cynical reply and say that if you don't agree then you don't have to go there. No one is forcing you.

I didn't mean to sound cynical. I just meant that disagreeing with a professor on an issue is common and its unfair to dismiss the entire school on that basis. I also was irritated that someone who seems to have no interest in attending the school would try to stir up controversy for people who are looking forward to going there. Totally agree with your interpretation of the mission statement though. I haven't heard about admitted students day, though I saw a bulletin from last year's admitted students BBQ and it was in June. Hopefully this year's will be early.

Shortly after my acceptance letter arrived I emailed admissions to ask about a possible campus visit. I was told that last years ASD was in early April on a Friday, and they are looking to hold it around the same time this year. She also told me that we should receive ASD info within the next couple of weeks. What a coincidence that the ASD will be held just days before the $300 deposit is due :) Scripted visit day or not, I think the faculty and campus will have a lot to offer - especially to us first time visitors.

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:37 am

I was reading the Pepperdine 2011 thread and apparently after we send in the first seat deposit we get stickers! I know it's lame, but to me its exciting. I just wish I could order my "Pepperdine Law" sweatshirt/t-shirt online. I saw them in the bookstore when I was there over the summer, but they are only open mon-fri!

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:08 am

Ooh aah!! Stickers! Are we talking bumper stickers or lapel stickers? I'm hoping for bumper since I'll be making the road trip from MS to Cali. Yeehaw! OutofBako, are you 100% Pepperdine 2012?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kbookbinder

New

Post by kbookbinder » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:11 am

Of the schools i heard from pepperdine is also my top choice right now, i am visiting it in march and im sure its gonna take my breath away... plus they offered me a nice amount of money. I am super excited for my visit

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:15 am

kbookbinder wrote:Of the schools i heard from pepperdine is also my top choice right now, i am visiting it in march and im sure its gonna take my breath away... plus they offered me a nice amount of money. I am super excited for my visit
I can't wait to visit. I've done my fair share of internet stalking malibu in the past few days.

ps i see youre from tx. you didn't have any desire for smu? i'm still between pepp and smu.

kbookbinder

New

Post by kbookbinder » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:23 am

masondixon wrote:
kbookbinder wrote:Of the schools i heard from pepperdine is also my top choice right now, i am visiting it in march and im sure its gonna take my breath away... plus they offered me a nice amount of money. I am super excited for my visit
I can't wait to visit. I've done my fair share of internet stalking malibu in the past few days.

ps i see youre from tx. you didn't have any desire for smu? i'm still between pepp and smu.
im actually from ft worth texas when im not in austin...so going to smu would mean moving back in with my parents cause they wouldnt see why i wouldnt want to save the housing money.... and while i love my family, i dont want to have to be with them for 3 more years, plus i like the entertianment industry and want to work in it.

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:22 pm

masondixon wrote:Ooh aah!! Stickers! Are we talking bumper stickers or lapel stickers? I'm hoping for bumper since I'll be making the road trip from MS to Cali. Yeehaw! OutofBako, are you 100% Pepperdine 2012?
Since my chances at USC and UCLA, neither of which I've heard from, are next to 0, and I don't want to move north of where I am now, it's pretty much 100%. I could get surprised though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

masondixon

New

Post by masondixon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:40 pm

well i hope to meet you all out in malibu! any prospects on living situations?

Mr. Costello

New

Post by Mr. Costello » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:46 pm

Just wanted to express my jealousy... :mrgreen:

I haven't heard back yet...

OutofBako

New

Post by OutofBako » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:35 pm

masondixon wrote:well i hope to meet you all out in malibu! any prospects on living situations?
I'm hoping to move in early August, hopefully with my boyfriend. I've beeing using http://www.move.com and http://www.placesforstudents.com to start looking at apartments. I also found http://www.calabasasrentals.com that has some nice townhouses that arent TOO expensive. My guess is I'll either be in a townhouse in Calabasas, Malibu Canyon Apts, or Archstone in Calabasas. Cost of living will be an adjustment, even from within CA.

Lewis

New

Post by Lewis » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:46 am

Yes! I just got in. Overjoyed. Can't wait to meet all of you. Anyone expecting to apply for the JD/MBA program here? After reading the Economy thread, I got a bit shaken on the MBA prospects. Still have to power through the GMAT's though just in case. DId anyone happen to talk with the career counselor about job prospects for the 2009 class?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”