George Mason Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
hawklaw

New

Re: George Mason Class of 2012

Post by hawklaw » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 pm

That is great news.

I was wondering if anyone else who used their Feb. LSAT scores has gotten a decision? When do you think the last day decisions will go out? I am on spring break and having so much free time is not good.

*kiki*

New

Post by *kiki* » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:29 am

So I have officially decided to attend Mason. The fact that the only schools I would consider over it waitlisted me, and that Mason offered me $35k pushed me over the edge to commit. I am so very excited though.

Does anyone know if we can submit our seat deposit during ASW? Since I will be attending it next week, I dont really see the point of mailing the deposit in.

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:40 am

I was thinking of doing that too actually. I figured i'd just bring a check in or something and take it to financial aid.

StCuervo

New

Post by StCuervo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:41 pm

I'll be going to the ASW in a week. (And probably to Mason in the Fall as well.) I will make a little star in the corner of my badge so other TLS'ers can find me...

love2run

New

Post by love2run » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:55 am

Anybody moving to the area this summer? I was thinking about moving in either May or June to get settled... just trying to start to look for a place...let me know if anyone's interested.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:16 pm

Although I wasn't super-impressed by the ASW, I think I am getting closer to biting the bullet and sending in my deposit to GMU. The main concern for me at this point is money. Can anyone see any validity in me going to the University of Utah ($18,000 in-state, #51) v. GMU ($32,000 out-of-state, #38) in order to save money? Although the savings would be nice, after looking at starting salaries, etc. from the U of U it just doesn't make sense to go there over GMU, especially since I don't want to live in Salt Lake City, which is where 80% of their grads end up. Plus, I want to eventually end up in SoCal and I bet that GMU would have as good, if not better, name recognition vs. Utah out there. I see this as my one chance to spend a few years (prob 3-6 assuming I take my first job in DC, which seems to be the trend) back east, because if I went to law school in Cali I'm sure I would just stay there indefinitely. I'm also contemplating Pepperdine ($40,000+, #59) and Loyola ($40,000+, #61), two other school's I've been accepted to. Any reason why they might be better for me? Anyway, I'm just trying to justify sending in my deposit to GMU, any advice/etc. would be great. Thanks.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:53 am

byu85 wrote:Although I wasn't super-impressed by the ASW, I think I am getting closer to biting the bullet and sending in my deposit to GMU. The main concern for me at this point is money. Can anyone see any validity in me going to the University of Utah ($18,000 in-state, #51) v. GMU ($32,000 out-of-state, #38) in order to save money? Although the savings would be nice, after looking at starting salaries, etc. from the U of U it just doesn't make sense to go there over GMU, especially since I don't want to live in Salt Lake City, which is where 80% of their grads end up. Plus, I want to eventually end up in SoCal and I bet that GMU would have as good, if not better, name recognition vs. Utah out there. I see this as my one chance to spend a few years (prob 3-6 assuming I take my first job in DC, which seems to be the trend) back east, because if I went to law school in Cali I'm sure I would just stay there indefinitely. I'm also contemplating Pepperdine ($40,000+, #59) and Loyola ($40,000+, #61), two other school's I've been accepted to. Any reason why they might be better for me? Anyway, I'm just trying to justify sending in my deposit to GMU, any advice/etc. would be great. Thanks.
You could probably try to make a lateral move from a big firm that has offices in DC and SoCal, but probably couldn't go straight from GMU to SoCal.

StCuervo

New

Post by StCuervo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:00 pm

pomona wrote:
byu85 wrote:Although I wasn't super-impressed by the ASW, I think I am getting closer to biting the bullet and sending in my deposit to GMU. The main concern for me at this point is money. Can anyone see any validity in me going to the University of Utah ($18,000 in-state, #51) v. GMU ($32,000 out-of-state, #38) in order to save money? Although the savings would be nice, after looking at starting salaries, etc. from the U of U it just doesn't make sense to go there over GMU, especially since I don't want to live in Salt Lake City, which is where 80% of their grads end up. Plus, I want to eventually end up in SoCal and I bet that GMU would have as good, if not better, name recognition vs. Utah out there. I see this as my one chance to spend a few years (prob 3-6 assuming I take my first job in DC, which seems to be the trend) back east, because if I went to law school in Cali I'm sure I would just stay there indefinitely. I'm also contemplating Pepperdine ($40,000+, #59) and Loyola ($40,000+, #61), two other school's I've been accepted to. Any reason why they might be better for me? Anyway, I'm just trying to justify sending in my deposit to GMU, any advice/etc. would be great. Thanks.
You could probably try to make a lateral move from a big firm that has offices in DC and SoCal, but probably couldn't go straight from GMU to SoCal.
If you know you want to be in California, I'd go to a California school. I worked in a California law firm and I never heard of Mason until I moved out here. I'm going to Mason in the fall but it is because I'm staying in the DC-area. Mason sends less than 5 students to Cali every year. Your alumni connections would be virtually nil.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:43 pm

St. Cuervo - Do I remember reading that you work as a lobbyist? If so, do you mind if I ask how one gets their foot in the door?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chris888777

New

Post by chris888777 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:29 am

For those of you who went to the ASW, what was it like?

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:19 am

chris888777 wrote:For those of you who went to the ASW, what was it like?
Some of us talked about our experience on this thread:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=100
Look at pages 5 & 6. :)

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:43 pm

StCuervo wrote:
pomona wrote:
If you know you want to be in California, I'd go to a California school. I worked in a California law firm and I never heard of Mason until I moved out here. I'm going to Mason in the fall but it is because I'm staying in the DC-area. Mason sends less than 5 students to Cali every year. Your alumni connections would be virtually nil.
Yeah that's what I am afraid of as well. I am doing an internship with a Senator out in DC this summer and I think that will give me a better idea of whether or not I could hack living in DC for a few years after law school. I'll be sending in seat deposits to George Mason and Pepperdine in order to keep my options open and make my decision by at least July. I am just trying to decide whether or not GM's slightly better ranking makes it a better choice even though I want to end up in SoCal. Thanks to all for your input and feel free to give any more advice.

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Does anyone know of a good, VERY basic economics or economics/law book? I have never taken an econ course, and would like to be familiar with the basics by the start of classes so that I'm not at a complete disadvantage. Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:43 pm

PubIntLawyer wrote:Does anyone know of a good, VERY basic economics or economics/law book? I have never taken an econ course, and would like to be familiar with the basics by the start of classes so that I'm not at a complete disadvantage. Thanks!
I'm an econ major now and the best simple introductory book about econ that I have read or heard about is "naked economics" by Wheelan. It covers all the basics but doesn't attempt to explain all the calculus/derivatives behind the theory, which is too in-depth for what we will cover in law school anyway. "freakonomics" is also good, but it is more of a fun/interesting read, and won't explain the concepts nearly as well as "naked economics." Good luck.

PubIntLawyer

New

Post by PubIntLawyer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:50 pm

byu85 wrote:
PubIntLawyer wrote:Does anyone know of a good, VERY basic economics or economics/law book? I have never taken an econ course, and would like to be familiar with the basics by the start of classes so that I'm not at a complete disadvantage. Thanks!
I'm an econ major now and the best simple introductory book about econ that I have read or heard about is "naked economics" by Wheelan. It covers all the basics but doesn't attempt to explain all the calculus/derivatives behind the theory, which is too in-depth for what we will cover in law school anyway. "freakonomics" is also good, but it is more of a fun/interesting read, and won't explain the concepts nearly as well as "naked economics." Good luck.
Thanks! I have read "Freakonomics" but didn't really walk away with much of an understanding of econ (although it was an interesting book). I'll def give "Naked Economics" a try!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:48 pm

PubIntLawyer wrote:
byu85 wrote:
Thanks! I have read "Freakonomics" but didn't really walk away with much of an understanding of econ (although it was an interesting book). I'll def give "Naked Economics" a try!
I've not read Freakonomics, but I did not like Naked Economics. Admittedly, that may have been because I was almost done with my major in economics by the time I read it, but I thought the concepts weren't explained very well.

I recommend Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt - that is the book that sold me on studying economics in undergrad and it is extremely easy to read. In fact, I found it to be a page turner. It made my intro to econ class a lot easier too.

Sparky

New

Post by Sparky » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:18 am

[quote]Although I wasn't super-impressed by the ASW, I think I am getting closer to biting the bullet and sending in my deposit to GMU. The main concern for me at this point is money. Can anyone see any validity in me going to the University of Utah ($18,000 in-state, #51) v. GMU ($32,000 out-of-state, #38) in order to save money? Although the savings would be nice, after looking at starting salaries, etc. from the U of U it just doesn't make sense to go there over GMU, especially since I don't want to live in Salt Lake City, which is where 80% of their grads end up. Plus, I want to eventually end up in SoCal and I bet that GMU would have as good, if not better, name recognition vs. Utah out there. I see this as my one chance to spend a few years (prob 3-6 assuming I take my first job in DC, which seems to be the trend) back east, because if I went to law school in Cali I'm sure I would just stay there indefinitely. I'm also contemplating Pepperdine ($40,000+, #59) and Loyola ($40,000+, #61), two other school's I've been accepted to. Any reason why they might be better for me? Anyway, I'm just trying to justify sending in my deposit to GMU, any advice/etc. would be great. Thanks./quote]
The University of Utah actually places okay in Southern California. Not as good as California schools, but a few Southern Cali firms conduct on-campus interviews at University of Utah ever year. There are very few places where this is likely the case, but I would say Utah places better than GMU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

*kiki*

New

Post by *kiki* » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:29 am

Anyone else decided to joing us at GMU in the fall?

SmurfyRey

New

Post by SmurfyRey » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:02 pm

I will be

Lina

New

Post by Lina » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:55 pm

I think I will be too:) Anybody going to Open House on April 18?

Paul Ramone

New

Post by Paul Ramone » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:57 pm

anyone know when fin aid info is going out? i know they mentioned it at ASW, but i do not remember the exact time frame.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:23 pm

Paul Ramone wrote:anyone know when fin aid info is going out? i know they mentioned it at ASW, but i do not remember the exact time frame.
Ms. Price said they will start going out on April 1st, for those that turned in their FAFSA reasonably quickly.

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:28 pm

At the ASW, they mentioned 4 books of "recommended summer reading" that deal with the relationship between econ and law. It's totally optional, but if you're going to read anything, I would start with that. I'm sure they'll send out the names eventually, but you can call and ask in the mean time.

reidmacharg

New

Post by reidmacharg » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:28 pm

If they recommended Law's Order, then it's not going to be too much help (and it was barely on the final). I would go over basic econ to better understand. We read The Economic Way of Thinking, which wasn't tested too much on the final either but really clearly laid out economics. I can sell you mine if you're in the area.
Re law and econ: Just research the Coase theorem on your own. It's the crux of the whole law and econ movement.

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm in! She called this morning, but I didn't hear my phone and just checked my message.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”