George Mason Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
awaiting

New

Re: George Mason Class of 2012

Post by awaiting » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:31 pm

AbsolutLax wrote:From what i've heard, and in talking to past applicants a waitlist for the most part is a ding- unless you get lucky and try really hard to get off the waitlist.
Seems like GMU and W&M's percentiles and medians are pretty similiar. Wouldn't most people admitted to GMU stand a decent chance of acceptance at W&M?

AbsolutLax

New

Post by AbsolutLax » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:40 pm

Not necessarily- just look at lawschoolnumbers and you'll see a clear difference in acceptance patterns between the two this year. Your assumption may have been correct in years past however.

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks for the info! I am really interested, and youre right, we could keep each other company! There have got to be at least a few students who do it that could stick together! I think in this job market we need to be as competitive as possible, and having an extra degree might really give us an edge. However, we will also enter the job market 1 year later when there is supposed to be a "flood" of applicants because of the economy. What are your thoughts?

tchadwick wrote:First of all, I second this!
awaiting wrote:Very interested to see the 2010 rankings. I kind of hope GM blasts W&M out of the water. Possibily because I've been complete since Dec 8 and still haven't heard from them.
I wasn't complete until January; still, W&M is the only school I'm waiting to hear from.

Also, I finally looked this up, regarding the joint JD/MPP degre: "Students admitted to the joint program will pay tuition at the School of Public Policy rate in their second year and will pay tuition at the School of Law rate for their first, third and fourth years – even if the student is taking additional classes in the School of Public Policy in their third and fourth years."

Here are the rates for the current year in the School of Public Policy:
In-State Graduate Tuition (Per Credit Hour): $545.00
Out-of-State Graduate Tuition (Per Credit Hour): $1,003.00

If you break down the law school's tuition by credit hour, it comes out to about this for the current year:
In-State Law School Tuition (Per Credit Hour): $814.00
Out-of-State Law School Tuition (Per Credit Hour): $1,389.00

FYI to those that are interested!

reidmacharg

New

Post by reidmacharg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 pm

The buzz I've picked up on is that the law degree stands on its own, while the MPP is the weaker degree. The two degrees might make you more competitive for government jobs, but Mason grads already place really well in government, and the pay is less than the alternatives. Essentially, I think diminishing returns applies, making it not worth the extra ~20 grand.

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:22 pm

reidmacharg wrote:The buzz I've picked up on is that the law degree stands on its own, while the MPP is the weaker degree. The two degrees might make you more competitive for government jobs, but Mason grads already place really well in government, and the pay is less than the alternatives. Essentially, I think diminishing returns applies, making it not worth the extra ~20 grand.
I've definitely thought about this as well. However, I still need to research exactly what types of positions the MPP would open up that just a law degree would not. It might not make the biggest impact right out of school, but be a huge factor in promotion or appointment to a higher office after a good stint of work experience. I'll continue to evaluate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barry Zuckercorn

New

Post by Barry Zuckercorn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:58 am

Someone here, Absolutelax i think, mentioned that they would go to UVA because the only thing that GMU has over it would be in-year internships. Can someone speak about those in-year intern/externships? Are people able to extern at the hill or other govt. agencies during the school year? Thanks.

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:16 am

Barry Zuckercorn wrote:Someone here, Absolutelax i think, mentioned that they would go to UVA because the only thing that GMU has over it would be in-year internships. Can someone speak about those in-year intern/externships? Are people able to extern at the hill or other govt. agencies during the school year? Thanks.
Most schools (that I've looked at anyway) offer clinics and externships that are available throughout the 2nd & 3rd years of law school (including summers, but also in fall & spring semesters). The case for Mason would be that those clinics could offer much more interesting work in D.C. than in a rural area - and more importantly, that there are greater opportunities for externships in D.C., since it has such a more commanding legal market. For instance, here are their course listings for externships for credit --

"Supervised Externship 320 (3) Entails 120 hours of supervised fieldwork in a private law firm or a federal or state agency in Virginia, Maryland, or the District of Columbia. The participating offices are selected on the basis of interest and ability to provide the student with a sound educational experience under the supervision of an agency attorney or judge. These legal offices cover diverse subject areas to meet the interests of most students. Recent placements include the U.S. Attorney in Alexandria and the District of Columbia, legal divisions in the Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Claims Court, Department of Interior, and General Services Administration. Except during the summer, this includes a one-credit-hour classroom component. A full outline of rules and forms may be obtained from the Career, Academic and Alumni Services office.

Supervised Externship 321 (4) Entails 180 hours of supervised fieldwork in a private law firm or a federal or state agency in Virginia, Maryland, or the District of Columbia. The participating offices are selected on the basis of interest and ability to provide the student with a sound educational experience under the supervision of an agency attorney or judge. These legal offices cover diverse subject areas to meet the interests of most students. Recent placements include the U.S. Attorney in Alexandria and the District of Columbia, legal divisions in the Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Claims Court, Department of Interior, and General Services Administration. Except during the summer, this includes a one-credit-hour classroom component. A full outline of rules and forms may be obtained from the Career, Academic and Alumni Services office. (identical to Law 320, except for the hours)

I won't post all the clinic descriptions, but they are shown at this link http://www.law.gmu.edu/academics/clinics

By the way, this is one of the reasons that I am so interested in Mason. My situation is a bit different than most, though - I won't be able to travel far for externships or summer jobs because my hubby and I will be having our first baby soon. If you are able to take a summer job anywhere you can find one, then year-round practical skills opportunities might not be as important to you.

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:56 pm

In today via phone call! Could someone PM me the info about the ASW? I was told on the phone that the information would arrive in about a week, but I would like to have as much time to plan as possible, as I will be traveling from Kansas. Thanks in advance!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:12 pm

sapereaude2012 wrote:In today via phone call! Could someone PM me the info about the ASW? I was told on the phone that the information would arrive in about a week, but I would like to have as much time to plan as possible, as I will be traveling from Kansas. Thanks in advance!
Congrats!!

ASW info is on their website: --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

belgianwaffle

New

Post by belgianwaffle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Scholarship letters supposedly went out last week. Has anyone gotten anything yet?

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:23 pm

belgianwaffle wrote:Scholarship letters supposedly went out last week. Has anyone gotten anything yet?
I haven't received anything. However, the word on the ASW thread is that they're going out this week. Did you hear differently from GMU?

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:23 pm

belgianwaffle wrote:Scholarship letters supposedly went out last week. Has anyone gotten anything yet?
Gah! I have a letter waiting for me at home that came today. Can't wait to see!

belgianwaffle

New

Post by belgianwaffle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Me too- parents said a gmu letter came in the mail. Here's hoping that it's not the ASW inv on paper :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:27 pm

awaiting wrote:
Spoke too soon! Went down to check the mail - 45k from Mason!

belgianwaffle

New

Post by belgianwaffle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:32 pm

Congratulations!!! Is it per year and are there any conditions?

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:32 pm

pomona wrote:
awaiting wrote:
Spoke too soon! Went down to check the mail - 45k from Mason!
CONGRATS!!! You're out-of-state I'm assuming? Mind sharing your #s?

awaiting

New

Post by awaiting » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm

belgianwaffle wrote:Congratulations!!! Is it per year and are there any conditions?
I don't think it could be per year unless they were giving a $13k living stipend on top full tution. I'm guessing that it's 15k a year. Which comes out to an out-of-state tuition of $17k per year. Very nice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

belgianwaffle

New

Post by belgianwaffle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:42 pm

Good call, didn't think that one through all the way. 17k/year for out of state is very nice.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:49 pm

Here are the terms:

1L: $15,000
2L: $10,000 (contingent on being in the top 25% of class at end of 1L)
3L: $10,000 (contingent on being in the top 25% of class at end of 2L)

I'm so excited!

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 pm

Wow congrats, that's tight!

belgianwaffle

New

Post by belgianwaffle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 pm

So it's 35k, right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:00 pm

belgianwaffle wrote:So it's 35k, right?
Oops yes, apologies for careless addition.

*kiki*

New

Post by *kiki* » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Anyone else receive a scholarship letter today? It appears from LSN that last year they offered a standard $35k. I wonder if this will be the same this year. I really hope I have an envelope from them waiting when I get home.

P.S. I am so excited about ASW next weekend. Did we ever decide where we are all going out afterwards? I know this was a major topic for awhile on the ASW thread.

tchadwick

New

Post by tchadwick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:09 pm

*kiki* wrote:I am so excited about ASW next weekend. Did we ever decide where we are all going out afterwards? I know this was a major topic for awhile on the ASW thread.
I think this tex-mex place was ultimately decided (by looking at the vote!), and that we would meet there at 7pm. **See quotes below**

Someone tell me (and all of us) if this is incorrect!

badlydrawn wrote:If you all fancy cerveza, great margaritas and the best tex-mex food this side of the Mississippi, Uncle Julio's Rio Grande Cafe is where it's at.* Girls generally love their frozen drinks, but I've never had one. Just throwing it out there. It's .7 miles away. I don't know how to embed google maps on TLS, so here's a link with the map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=4301+ ... 17853&z=15
KristaLyn wrote:Everything will be done at 6:30, so maybe a 7pm meeting at the Tex Mex place, just let the hostess know its for the George Mason TLS Group?

sapereaude2012

New

Post by sapereaude2012 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:30 pm

pomona wrote:
sapereaude2012 wrote:In today via phone call! Could someone PM me the info about the ASW? I was told on the phone that the information would arrive in about a week, but I would like to have as much time to plan as possible, as I will be traveling from Kansas. Thanks in advance!
Congrats!!

ASW info is on their website: --LinkRemoved--
Thanks Pomona

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”