Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 pm

Jwatson wrote:
ColtonDLong wrote:
Jwatson wrote:
ColtonDLong wrote: Pay no attention to your ISIS. You will get an email from Dean Jones way before that changes.
Do they send out a complete email? All I got is some CRS mailing from them way after I applied.
I think Decision: In progress IS saying you are complete. Once you get the ISIS account, they are essentially saying that they will be reviewing your app soon I believe. I never got a complete email.

Well it's certainly been a while. It's January now and I got my ISIS way back in September.
Watson, did Iowa slight you?

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:46 pm

You need to keep up. ^ That was back in January. And my love for Iowa was not because of the school itself. :D

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Jwatson wrote:You need to keep up. ^ That was back in January.
Precisely, you apparently applied but now you troll. Why would you apply to a school you hate? What was the decision?

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
Jwatson wrote: Crystal could live like a king at MSU. GO SPARTANS.
No, I could live like a Michigander on a scholarship - no jobs, no hope.
haha, definitely a reason I chose to turn down Michigan schools (even though I would love if I could get a job at a Big Law firm here after graduation). And there would be little-to-no hope of getting a teaching job there after. A school that is trying to be on the rise such as MSU is doing some heavy recruiting with top dog professors. They also have to compete with Wayne State which honestly has the faculty list of a T14 school.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:01 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
haha, definitely a reason I chose to turn down Michigan schools not named University of Michigan (even though I would love if I could get a job at a Big Law firm here after graduation). And there would be little-to-no hope of getting a teaching job there after. A school that is trying to be on the rise such as MSU is doing some heavy recruiting with top dog professors. They also have to compete with Wayne State which honestly has the faculty list of a T14 school.
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:02 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
haha, definitely a reason I chose to turn down Michigan schools (even though I would love if I could get a job at a Big Law firm here after graduation). And there would be little-to-no hope of getting a teaching job there after. A school that is trying to be on the rise such as MSU is doing some heavy recruiting with top dog professors. They also have to compete with Wayne State which honestly has the faculty list of a T14 school.
I noticed that. They don't skimp on faculty! With the economy in the country bad, the state worse, the metro area worst, I'm all for getting as far away from here as I can.... and not looking back, either. I suppose that is one area where we differ, rainmaker. 8)

poiuy

New

Post by poiuy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:06 pm

I was just accepted to Iowa about a week ago, and its definitely one of my top considerations. Anyone have any opinion as to why it ranks so high while having LSAT #'s a bit lower than similarly ranked schools (or maybe the question should be why it has relatively lower #'s when its such a highly ranked school).

Also, People have probably noticed a little bit of a recent "slide" in the US News rankings. Anyone think this something to worry about or if its likely to continue. With limited data, and lack of drastic movement in ranking its hard to speculate....and I'm not going to worry about the school being like 29th when I graduate when it was 27th when I started. I just want to know if there are any factors I should watch out for that I may not have in mind that may make the future "ranking" or general reputation a concern. I do plan to visit Iowa soon though; I think my expectations are going to be pretty high.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:11 pm

poiuy wrote:I was just accepted to Iowa about a week ago, and its definitely one of my top considerations. Anyone have any opinion as to why it ranks so high while having LSAT #'s a bit lower than similarly ranked schools (or maybe the question should be why it has relatively lower #'s when its such a highly ranked school).

Also, People have probably noticed a little bit of a recent "slide" in the US News rankings. Anyone think this something to worry about or if its likely to continue. With limited data, and lack of drastic movement in ranking its hard to speculate....and I'm not going to worry about the school being like 29th when I graduate when it was 27th when I started. I just want to know if there are any factors I should watch out for that I may not have in mind that may make the future "ranking" or general reputation a concern. I do plan to visit Iowa soon though; I think my expectations are going to be pretty high.
It's LSAT ranking is artificially low because the legislature of Iowa forces them to try to enroll 50% Iowans. I don't think you should care where the school is ranked after you graduate. All the matters is its reputation among employers. Vault's buzz on Iowa is uniformly amazing.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:18 pm

poiuy wrote:I was just accepted to Iowa about a week ago, and its definitely one of my top considerations. Anyone have any opinion as to why it ranks so high while having LSAT #'s a bit lower than similarly ranked schools (or maybe the question should be why it has relatively lower #'s when its such a highly ranked school).

Congrats!

Some info behind their ranking:
1) their GPA is comparatively high, although LSAT low
2) their reputation score is higher than similarly ranked schools

Some things that may lead to a decline in the rankings/concern for the future:
1) some problems with their endowment which are preventing them from being able to pay top profs to stay there/attract new blood which could lead to comparatively lower reputation score
2) 50% in-state requirement: as younger people leave the state, they have less and less in-state applicants applying and overall in-state applicant pool is getting weaker, meaning they can't attract the best quality (highest LSAT/GPA) applicants.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:13 am

pomona wrote:

Congrats!

Some info behind their ranking:
1) their GPA is comparatively high, although LSAT low
2) their reputation score is higher than similarly ranked schools

Some things that may lead to a decline in the rankings/concern for the future:
1) some problems with their endowment which are preventing them from being able to pay top profs to stay there/attract new blood which could lead to comparatively lower reputation score
2) 50% in-state requirement: as younger people leave the state, they have less and less in-state applicants applying and overall in-state applicant pool is getting weaker, meaning they can't attract the best quality (highest LSAT/GPA) applicants.
Agreed, but I do think that their reputation will keep Iowa up in rankings regardless, ANNND 2 to 3 years isn't going to shift views of partners hiring from Iowa for years and years even if they do slide a few points. That said, I don't think they're going to get hit hard this year, though I could be wrong. Iowa's employments stats sound comparatively strong to others in the region. I think it is worth the 150 k in debt :shock:
Last edited by Lawguru on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:15 am

Lawguru wrote: That said, I don't think they're going to get hit hard this year, though I could be wrong. Iowa's employments stats sound comparatively strong to others in the region. I think it is worth the 150 k in debt :shock:
+1

Well said.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:18 am

Lawguru wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa...what?? How did I not know about this??
Last edited by Whitty on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:19 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:21 am

Huh.

I guess I really must live in a box after all. :oops:

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:25 am

Whitty wrote:
It happened rather recently. I don't envy that job.

Iowa is really handcuffed from a rankings perspective. They have to enroll 50% Iowa residents which is much higher than other schools. Because the methodology does place significant emphasis on the LSAT scores, Iowa is really at risk to slip further. Iowa as far as I know is not growing, and I've heard based on the decreasing volume of in state applications has been admitting lower quality in-state applicants as of recently. Iowa would probably jump back up 5 spots if they could lower the threshold to 25%.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:31 am

Hmmm...

Well I certainly don't intend to harm their yield. :mrgreen:

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:22 am

ElmGrant wrote:
Whitty wrote:

Iowa is really handcuffed from a rankings perspective. They have to enroll 50% Iowa residents which is much higher than other schools. Because the methodology does place significant emphasis on the LSAT scores, Iowa is really at risk to slip further. Iowa as far as I know is not growing, and I've heard based on the decreasing volume of in state applications has been admitting lower quality in-state applicants as of recently. Iowa would probably jump back up 5 spots if they could lower the threshold to 25%.
Is that in the works at all or not?

Like I said...in comparison to other schools in the region, and with everything rlse, I think Iowa will remain T 27 this year, but it may slip to T 30. Who knows...maybe it goes back to 22 :-)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IpunchedCharlieRose

New

Post by IpunchedCharlieRose » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:03 am

Alright, I think I've decided to go to Iowa. Dropped the deposit in the mail this morning and then withdrew from some other schools.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:21 am

ElmGrant wrote:
Whitty wrote:

From what Dean Byrd said at the ASD, if they dropped the requirement to 40-45% they would be able to bring in the highest quality students. If he didn't have the requirement, he said he would still have around 45% from Iowa/55% out of state. It's that ~5% that is hurting him right now.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:25 am

IpunchedCharlieRose wrote:Alright, I think I've decided to go to Iowa. Dropped the deposit in the mail this morning and then withdrew from some other schools.

Yay!! :mrgreen:

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:29 am

pomona wrote:
ElmGrant wrote:
Whitty wrote:

From what Dean Byrd said at the ASD, if they dropped the requirement to 40-45% they would be able to bring in the highest quality students. If he didn't have the requirement, he said he would still have around 45% from Iowa/55% out of state. It's that ~5% that is hurting him right now.
It's tough. The schools ranked 20-40 are separated by very little. I mean Wisconsin is in the mid 30's, and I think most people would agree that Iowa and Wisconsin are equals. My prediction for Iowa is they'll be ranked #29 in the new rankings. I think Illinois & Fordham will move ahead and break the tie.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:31 am

ElmGrant wrote:
pomona wrote:
ElmGrant wrote:
Whitty wrote:

It's tough. The schools ranked 20-40 are separated by very little. I mean Wisconsin is in the mid 30's, and I think most people would agree that Iowa and Wisconsin are equals. My prediction for Iowa is they'll be ranked #29 in the new rankings. I think Illinois & Fordham will move ahead and break the tie.
Iowa and Wisconsin are considered somewhat equals in terms of job placement/regional reputation in the MW, but what about other factors?

zettsscores40

Gold

Post by zettsscores40 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:09 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
+1 I would love to stay here after graduation. There are some great firms in the Southfield/Bloomfield Hills area. Here's to hoping this economy shapes up in a few years.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:13 pm

zettsscores40 wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
+1 I would love to stay here after graduation. There are some great firms in the Southfield/Bloomfield Hills area. Here's to hoping this economy shapes up in a few years.
Yeah I'm pretty excited that these firms actively recruit at Iowa. A student I spoke to at Iowa knew a few people who received summer internships and job offers at Honigman, Miller, Schwartz, and Cohn (Detroit and Lansing), as well as at Dickinson Wright (Troy/Birmingham). Both are very respectable big law firms with a very low (relatively) billable hours requirement and nice salaries.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:11 pm

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/library/collec ... p#rarebook
Rare Book Collection
The Rare Book Room houses rare and irreplaceable books, manuscripts, and special collections. The Law Library owns two significant antiquarian collections. The first is the Leist collection, consisting of German, Greek, Roman, Byzantine, and Canon Law volumes. The Law Library purchased the 3,000 volume Leist Collection in 1920. The Leist collection contains the Law Library's oldest title, the 1541 edition of Bartolus' Commentaries on the Digest.

The second rare book collection is from the estate of William Gardiner Hammond, the first Chancellor (Dean) of the University of Iowa College of Law. The Hammond Historical Collection contains about 1,200 volumes of early English and civil law materials. During the College of Law's early years of financial hardship, Dean Hammond personally purchased the Law Library's books, beginning the Law Library's venerable tradition of stewardship.

The Rare Book Room is located on the Law Library's third floor, and provides special climate control and fire protection for its priceless contents. Books housed in this room are designated in InfoHawk by the location "Law Rare Book” and access is limited. Please direct inquiries to a Reference Librarian.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”