Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
New Madrid

New

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by New Madrid » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:43 am

hoosier1508 wrote:Randomly looking at the Iowa law website this morning.

Noticed this subtle change to some information on the site.

http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/fina ... cation.pdf

It used to specifically say Top 37.5% and is now down to 25%. Can they legitimately change this requirement after the initial offer?

I was leaning towards declining because of the restriction as it was, I'll definitely be withdrawing if this is the criteria going forward.
This is alarming. I'm hoping it's a typo. I know the restrictions used to be 25% a few years ago.

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:46 am

agreed. i'm calling them right now

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:53 am

New Madrid wrote:

It used to specifically say Top 37.5% and is now down to 25%. Can they legitimately change this requirement after the initial offer?

I was leaning towards declining because of the restriction as it was, I'll definitely be withdrawing if this is the criteria going forward.
This is alarming. I'm hoping it's a typo. I know the restrictions used to be 25% a few years ago.
It is a typo. Geez, my plans almost drastically changed.

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 pm

isustudent wrote:
New Madrid wrote:

It is a typo. Geez, my plans almost drastically changed.
You'd think they'd want to proofread this stuff before uploading to the site.

tigerl

New

Post by tigerl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:33 pm

hola!

Nice to finally find this thread. I am still undesided whether to go for Iowa(as I am a non-resident, the $$$ is a major concern) or go to Tulane(25k scholarship). But I really love the personal touch the school has. And pity I couldn't make it on ASD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:09 pm

tigerl wrote:hola!

Nice to finally find this thread. I am still undesided whether to go for Iowa(as I am a non-resident, the $$$ is a major concern) or go to Tulane(25k scholarship). But I really love the personal touch the school has. And pity I couldn't make it on ASD.
tigerl ... I can relate ... on saturday, I was on my way to the mailbox to mail my Iowa deposit only to realize that the mail carrier had already arrived ... inside I found an acceptance letter offering a full scholarship from a school ranked just a couple of spots outside the T50 ... as I applied very late to Iowa, there is no $$$ to speak of ... I visited Iowa and loved it, but again, $$$ is also a major concern ...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:41 pm

chadwick218 wrote:

tigerl ... I can relate ... on saturday, I was on my way to the mailbox to mail my Iowa deposit only to realize that the mail carrier had already arrived ... inside I found an acceptance letter offering a full scholarship from a school ranked just a couple of spots outside the T50 ... as I applied very late to Iowa, there is no $$$ to speak of ... I visited Iowa and loved it, but again, $$$ is also a major concern ...
I'm in a very similar boat. My scholarship is from a school beyond the top-100, but it would get me a job in-state, one I could live in longer, is on its way up in rankings, and would cost so much less to attend. The answer is to go to the school where you think you'd be happier. The question is, which school is that? Or short-term vs. long-term happiness - happier at a "better" school, or happier without six figures of debt?

belligerentfuture

New

Post by belligerentfuture » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:38 am

ElmGrant wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:So, with ASW behind us and a lot of people convinced I was curious - who all will be becoming a Hawkeye this fall?

Great to hear from everyone. So far:

Iowa Law, Class of 2012
crystalhawkeye - still thinking, actually...
rainmaker614
mikeytwoshoes
Whitty
scott82
Lawguru
NorseHawk
Brick Tamland
New Madrid
ElmGrant
Updated.
Me too, unless some school ranked same or better on the coasts busts out a full scholarship late in the game (not holding my breath on that one ;))....had to accept my $$$ by april 1st, like iowa WAY more than illinois, and can't convince myself to actually pay money somewhere else. see you all in august!!!

oobob

New

Post by oobob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:14 am

I've lived in the town 7 years as an undergrad and grad, so I can probably answer most of your questions about it. It's a fun place, but if you struggle with alcoholism, don't live near downtown. The law building is on the quiet side of campus so you can insulate yourself from the madness, but it's annoying to get back when you do go downtown, though buses travel nearby. The bar scene and tailgating are insane (though not my style), and there are enough hidden bars you can avoid most of it with a social life.

I can also tell you the what certain dorms are like and the crowds in different bars (rich Chicago douches, hipsters, beer snobs, etcetc). I don't know what the graduate student housing is like, but it's on the complete outskirts of town and a bus is your way to school and back.

I'm almost certain I'm going if I can find tuition and living money. I was waiting on a LOR for a month and a half that a prof forgot about and just got accepted today. It sucks, I'm in state and scholarship range and hope there's money left. Did you get scholarship letters with your acceptance? I just got the email today but haven't received the letter.

Anyhow, ask away if you have questions about the town. And keep in mind scooters and motorcycles have free parking most places here. Storage in the winter is important but you'll save a lot of time and money with one. I gather you park them right by the bike racks at Boyd Law Building. Cheap apartments near the building with nearby busing (free on campus and city busing slightly closer) are:

Old Gold Apartments, run by Heritage Property Management (my complex, 650 a month for a double, 550 a single, all but electric included and 50 for parking yearly - I've lived here 5 years)
Seville Apartments (similar rates and location but unsure of specifics)
Some real goddamn shady apartments next to mine you want to avoid.
4 tiny shitbox houses up for sale in a row by the same realtor on Michael St/Benton - I bet she's itching to sell.

Guys, there are some hot, smart girls in IC. I'm staying here cause of mine - if I can't afford law it'll be engineering. If you like blonds the city is amazing.
isustudent wrote:I just signed on a one bedroom, so I guess it's official! I would suggest people check out old gold ct with heritage property management (where I'm living).
Joe (the landlord) is awesome and those quotes about grad and law students are right. Once he just smiled when he saw me break the rules and let my gf's dog inside. When you get here pm me if you wanna see the town - I live in the 735 section of the complex.

The Wedge is cheap ass pizza nearby and you'll learn to live off that and Hungry Hobo.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tigerl

New

Post by tigerl » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:34 am

Ahhhhh. The eternal dilemma of 'the unbearable lightness of ranking versus dear money'.
crystalhawkeye wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:

I'm in a very similar boat. My scholarship is from a school beyond the top-100, but it would get me a job in-state, one I could live in longer, is on its way up in rankings, and would cost so much less to attend. The answer is to go to the school where you think you'd be happier. The question is, which school is that? Or short-term vs. long-term happiness - happier at a "better" school, or happier without six figures of debt?

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 am

I just checked my status check and under Admission Decision it says "Admitted." I haven't received an email or anything, but does this mean I'm in? If so I'm stoked. Did anyone else's status go to "Admitted" without receiving an email?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:06 am

DCDeckard wrote:I just checked my status check and under Admission Decision it says "Admitted." I haven't received an email or anything, but does this mean I'm in? If so I'm stoked. Did anyone else's status go to "Admitted" without receiving an email?
The same happened to me ... you should be receiving in an email in a matter of hours ... congrats!

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:10 am

Awesome! Its too bad it came after the ASD but better late than never!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:14 am

DCDeckard wrote:I just checked my status check and under Admission Decision it says "Admitted." I haven't received an email or anything, but does this mean I'm in? If so I'm stoked. Did anyone else's status go to "Admitted" without receiving an email?

Congrats DC! I've never been able to log on to the status checker personally (not sure why but my password has never worked) but you should be receiving an email or letter soon! :wink:

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Last edited by isustudent on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oobob

New

Post by oobob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:00 pm

isustudent wrote:
oobob wrote: The Wedge is cheap ass pizza nearby and you'll learn to live off that and Hungry Hobo.
My boyfriend is from cedar rapids, so he talks about hungry hobo all the time. I had falbos when I was in Iowa City, which was fantastic. Are you staying in old gold then?
Falbo's is my favorite but costs more than the Wedge. However, their roasted red pepper pizza is great and they don't skimp, though it costs double toppings. Have you had the stuffed pizza? They cover the top in sauce and it rules. Also late at night everything closes but Panchero's and Falbo's...and if you lived by the main campus as long as I did, you end up hating it after 3 years.

The village inn near old gold sells amazing pies and the pb cup is by far the best, though rivaled by french silk and the ultrachocolate monstrosity.

Yeah, I'm staying in Old Gold another year. I used to joke about becoming a doctor or lawyer so I didn't have to walk across campus to get to class. I bought a motorcycle to avoid the walk, but I guess partial differential equations don't do it for me anymore. One of my friends from the math dept lives here too, and my brother shares the apt with me, so it's pretty damn convenient.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:48 pm

I'm visiting to look for housing in a few weeks. I want to check out Old Gold, Oakcrest, Westgate, Emerald, and Seville at least. Any other suggestions?
Last edited by crystalhawkeye on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:54 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:I'm visitning to look for housing in a few weeks. I want to check out Old Gold, Oakcrest, Westgate, Emerald, and Seville at least. Any other suggestions?
I looked at some apartments with Southgate property management that were on W Benton Street. They were the newest looking apartments I toured, and fairly close to the law school. Might be worth a look if you are coming all the way down!

Just an FYI, seville apartments looked nice and the management seemed great, but it also looked like they had quite a few families living in the complex. I guess that could be good and bad, depending on what you are looking for.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:55 pm

isustudent wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:I'm visitning to look for housing in a few weeks. I want to check out Old Gold, Oakcrest, Westgate, Emerald, and Seville at least. Any other suggestions?
I looked at some apartments with Southgate property management that were on W Benton Street. They were the newest looking apartments I toured, and fairly close to the law school. Might be worth a look if you are coming all the way down!

Just an FYI, seville apartments looked nice and the management seemed great, but it also looked like they had quite a few families living in the complex. I guess that could be good and bad, depending on what you are looking for.
Hmm, I'd say bad. I thought about Southgate as well, but on their website it looks like they don't have any 1 br. left. I could probably set up something anyways.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:49 pm

isustudent wrote:

I actually just signed the lease on these apartments. They looked great and were very reasonably priced. I got a one bedroom with a gas fireplace for 570 including parking, all appliances, etc. They were built in the late 90's and I liked the area. I've only heard good things about the management company and the people I've talked to with them have been really helpful.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:I actually just signed the lease on these apartments. They looked great and were very reasonably priced. I got a one bedroom with a gas fireplace for 570 including parking, all appliances, etc. They were built in the late 90's and I liked the area. I've only heard good things about the management company and the people I've talked to with them have been really helpful.
Ah, you went with the fireplace, eh? Nicely done. So all the ladies will be at rainmaker's place in Iowa. Hmm, I think I will have to schedule a visit with Southgate as well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Sent in my deposit today. :mrgreen:

250$ well spent.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Whitty wrote:Sent in my deposit today. :mrgreen:

250$ well spent.
+1

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Whitty wrote:Sent in my deposit today. :mrgreen:

250$ well spent.
I'll send mine... when I have $250 :oops:

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:25 pm

How would I go about setting up a meeting with the different places? My sister lives in Seville apartments and is moving out since she's getting married. I could have the single with all her furniture and accessories plus free parking for about 560 a month. The apartment is apparently slightly small, but does this sound reasonable?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”