Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
chadwick218

Silver

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:04 pm

I took a visit to the campus during a week-long tour of 10 "law schools of the midwest." I was suprisingly very impressed by Iowa's facilities and even more impressed by the staff. Unfortunately, Iowa is out-of-state for me so scholarship will be key and although I took the LSAT 5 years ago, I am a little behind in this cycle a I re-took in February.

Right now, the schools carrying the most weight where I believe that I have a realistic shot at a favorable scholarship are Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Notre Dame.

Archon D: terrorface

New

Post by Archon D: terrorface » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:16 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I took a visit to the campus during a week-long tour of 10 "law schools of the midwest." I was suprisingly very impressed by Iowa's facilities and even more impressed by the staff. Unfortunately, Iowa is out-of-state for me so scholarship will be key and although I took the LSAT 5 years ago, I am a little behind in this cycle a I re-took in February.

Right now, the schools carrying the most weight where I believe that I have a realistic shot at a favorable scholarship are Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, and Notre Dame.
No Wisconsin?

I just got my deposit reminder/admission emails. So yay!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:25 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I took a visit to the campus during a week-long tour of 10 "law schools of the midwest." I was suprisingly very impressed by Iowa's facilities and even more impressed by the staff. Unfortunately, Iowa is out-of-state for me so scholarship will be key and although I took the LSAT 5 years ago, I am a little behind in this cycle a I re-took in February.

Iowa ran out of merit money four weeks ago. Some of it may become available again but Iowa has ridiculous yield.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:33 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:

Iowa ran out of merit money four weeks ago. Some of it may become available again but Iowa has ridiculous yield.
I do remember reading this comment from dean Bryd. I am banking on a significant number of applicants turning down sizable scholarships at Iowa in favor of schools that are ranked higher. I have seen a lot of similar discussions on these boards.

Hopefully some scholarship information will become available before the April 1st deposit deadline.

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:02 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

I do remember reading this comment from dean Bryd. I am banking on a significant number of applicants turning down sizable scholarships at Iowa in favor of schools that are ranked higher. I have seen a lot of similar discussions on these boards.

Hopefully some scholarship information will become available before the April 1st deposit deadline.
I've heard they have a ridic. yield as well. Dean byrd told me in a convo I had with him as an aside that yield rates, among other things, are a reason why they can stay so highly ranked despite a lower LSAT score (although their GPA is ridiculously high).

Anyway, I just got the deposit reminder...looks like I'll be 250 bucks in the hole pretty soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Lawguru wrote:
I've heard they have a ridic. yield as well. Dean byrd told me in a convo I had with him as an aside that yield rates, among other things, are a reason why they can stay so highly ranked despite a lower LSAT score (although their GPA is ridiculously high).

Anyway, I just got the deposit reminder...looks like I'll be 250 bucks in the hole pretty soon!
According to the USNews rankings it was 34.5% for the 07 admissions cycle. That is pretty high. Compare to Illinois (23%), Fordham (24%), and BC (20%).

It's negated somewhat by the fact Iowa's acceptance rate is very high (34.6%).

As long as Iowa keeps getting high ratings in the reputation category they will stay up there.

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:43 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:
Lawguru wrote:

According to the USNews rankings it was 34.5% for the 07 admissions cycle. That is pretty high. Compare to Illinois (23%), Fordham (24%), and BC (20%).

It's negated somewhat by the fact Iowa's acceptance rate is very high (34.6%).

As long as Iowa keeps getting high ratings in the reputation category they will stay up there.
I heard that one (or more?) of the more high profile professors at Iowa are expected to leave soon. Does anyone have any info on this? If true, and they aren't able to bring in other big names, it may hurt the reputation score.

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:11 am

Last edited by ElmGrant on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 pm

ElmGrant wrote:Thought I'd join the forum.

Just sent in my deposit for this fall. Looking forward to the move to IC.
Welcome, we're all interested but many of us remain uncommitted due to applications at other schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Last edited by ElmGrant on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:33 pm

ElmGrant wrote:Thought I'd join the forum.

Just sent in my deposit for this fall. Looking forward to the move to IC.
Welcome Elm! :mrgreen:

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Sannerbr

New

Post by Sannerbr » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Do you guys think Iowa could get me a job in the NW or is it too much of a regional school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Sannerbr wrote:Do you guys think Iowa could get me a job in the NW or is it too much of a regional school?
This is contingent on many factors, chief among them: class rank.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:57 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:So, with ASW behind us and a lot of people convinced I was curious - who all will be joining me in becoming a Hawkeye this fall?

Great to hear from everyone. So far:

Iowa Law, Class of 2012
crystalhawkeye
rainmaker614
mikeytwoshoes
Whitty
scott82
Lawguru
NorseHawk
Brick Tamland
New Madrid
isustudent
ElmGrant
Fixed.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:17 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:So, with ASW behind us and a lot of people convinced I was curious - who all will be joining me in becoming a Hawkeye this fall?

Great to hear from everyone. So far:

Iowa Law, Class of 2012
crystalhawkeye
rainmaker614
mikeytwoshoes
Whitty
scott82
Lawguru
NorseHawk
Brick Tamland
New Madrid
isustudent
ElmGrant
Fixed.
Have you decided to take the risk regarding the RA positions?

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:47 pm

So I've been looking at housing online and I must say, for what Im paying now for just a room, I can almost rent a house to myself in Iowa City!!

Sweet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:47 am

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:48 am

Change of subject, but would anyone like to help me improve Iowa's Wikipedia page? Maybe add some pictures, and shore up the writing. It doesn't appear to be very well written. A good discussion of Iowa's traditions, etc. would be nice. As crazy as it sounds, I think wikipedia is a good recruitment tool.

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:54 am

Lawguru wrote:Change of subject, but would anyone like to help me improve Iowa's Wikipedia page? Maybe add some pictures, and shore up the writing. It doesn't appear to be very well written. A good discussion of Iowa's traditions, etc. would be nice. As crazy as it sounds, I think wikipedia is a good recruitment tool.
Im not very tech savy but I can definitely provide some nice pics when I get back from my visit! :mrgreen:

Anything you want in particular??

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:26 am

Whitty wrote:
Lawguru wrote:Change of subject, but would anyone like to help me improve Iowa's Wikipedia page? Maybe add some pictures, and shore up the writing. It doesn't appear to be very well written. A good discussion of Iowa's traditions, etc. would be nice. As crazy as it sounds, I think wikipedia is a good recruitment tool.
Im not very tech savy but I can definitely provide some nice pics when I get back from my visit! :mrgreen:

Anything you want in particular??
I think I can find a nice pic of the law building and such on the site. Maybe a good picture of a classroom, etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:47 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote: Have you decided to take the risk regarding the RA positions?
Yep. If I'm screwed, I'm screwed.

ElmGrant

New

Post by ElmGrant » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:23 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote: Have you decided to take the risk regarding the RA positions?
From what I understand its not that much of a risk.

Unless your plan is to slack off, get poor grades, and never interact with the faculty, then maybe its a risk.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:24 pm

ElmGrant wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:
From what I understand its not that much of a risk.

Unless your plan is to slack off, get poor grades, and never interact with the faculty, then maybe its a risk.
...I stand by my comment :wink:

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Lawguru wrote:
I think I can find a nice pic of the law building and such on the site. Maybe a good picture of a classroom, etc.
Ok, Im determined to find an angle that makes the building look less like its about to take off. Maybe something with trees. :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”