Iowa 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
crystalhawkeye

Silver

Re: Iowa 2012

Post by crystalhawkeye » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:Eww....
HA, don't knock it till you try it, man.
Heh, if you say so!

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 pm

Onion juice??

Blech!

DCDeckard

New

Post by DCDeckard » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:59 am

I got a call from the Dir. of Admissions yesterday asking if I had any questions. Anyone else have this happen? I couldn't talk since I was at work, but I thought it was nice and showed they want to retain those whom they accepted. I think it may have been because I checked the "I'm interested in Iowa but cannot commit at this time" box on the response form.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:00 am

DCDeckard wrote:I got a call from the Dir. of Admissions yesterday asking if I had any questions. Anyone else have this happen? I couldn't talk since I was at work, but I thought it was nice and showed they want to retain those whom they accepted. I think it may have been because I checked the "I'm interested in Iowa but cannot commit at this time" box on the response form.
IIRC everyone got the call from Big Byrd. :wink:

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:33 pm

I never got a call from him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:57 pm

hoosier1508 wrote:I never got a call from him.
Nor did I :(

Lawguru

Bronze

Post by Lawguru » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:13 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:
hoosier1508 wrote:I never got a call from him.
Nor did I :(
Nor did I.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:17 pm

I did, however, just get my FA info. $56K in loans for the first year. Although some of that will be reduced (e.g. I don't need $4000 personal), that's a rather... intimidating number.

I may just be ignorant, but do Law Foundation or Perkins Loans mean anything different than the Stafford ones?

hoosier1508

New

Post by hoosier1508 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:23 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:I did, however, just get my FA info. $56K in loans for the first year. Although some of that will be reduced (e.g. I don't need $4000 personal), that's a rather... intimidating number.

I may just be ignorant, but do Law Foundation or Perkins Loans mean anything different than the Stafford ones?
They're different. Pretty sure they are a better deal, but I don't recall the specifics. I'm sure a quick Google search would probably find something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:36 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:I did, however, just get my FA info. $56K in loans for the first year. Although some of that will be reduced (e.g. I don't need $4000 personal), that's a rather... intimidating number.

Perkins is a 5% fixed interest rate loan that is subsidized (nice!). It is pretty much the best loan you can get. Never heard of the Law Foundation loans though. Another school I applied to offered me something that was called a Law Alumni Foundation loan and it basically meant I had to give a "promise" that I would replenish those funds so other students could benefit whenever I was able to pay them back. Kind of half way between a grant and a loan, I guess. Maybe that's what it is?

IpunchedCharlieRose

New

Post by IpunchedCharlieRose » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:39 pm

Iowa Law School Foundation Loan, Federal Perkins Loan
These are low-interest loans based on exceptional financial need. Interest does not accrue and payments are not required until the student is no longer enrolled at least half-time in school.
from --LinkRemoved--

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:42 pm

Question, what the hell are we supposed to do for the 3 months of our lease that we don't get aid for? Considering that they don't factor it into our budget, we obviously can't get government loans for them. Of course we can sublease but that is never guaranteed. Anyone else think about this yet? It's really annoying that leases are 12 months and the school year is 9 months. It wasn't like this in the apartments around colleges in Michigan. :evil:

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:43 pm

Ah, thanks guys. I think the shock of the number made me not want to even do research about types of loans. The Perkins is only $2K/semester, but it's something.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:46 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:Ah, thanks guys. I think the shock of the number made me not want to even do research about types of loans. The Perkins is only $2K/semester, but it's something.
Crystal how long did it take from when they reviewed your file to when they actually showed your loan information (i.e. how long did it take for the college of law to review your file after the financial aid office did)? Mine finished the initial review on the 27th and i'm still waiting for the final results...

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:Ah, thanks guys. I think the shock of the number made me not want to even do research about types of loans. The Perkins is only $2K/semester, but it's something.
Crystal how long did it take from when they reviewed your file to when they actually showed your loan information (i.e. how long did it take for the college of law to review your file after the financial aid office did)? Mine finished the initial review on the 27th and i'm still waiting for the final results...
Rainmaker - did you send in a deposit already?

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:52 pm

pomona wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:
Yup, for both the school and my apartment. How about yourself?

pomona

Bronze

Post by pomona » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:54 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
pomona wrote:
rainmaker614 wrote:
Yup, for both the school and my apartment. How about yourself?
Sending in a deposit tomorrow I think, although I'm still undecided. I'm going to wait to get an apartment until I go to Iowa in June for a wedding.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:09 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
The initial review was finished on March 11th; they said 3 weeks, which it would have been exactly tomorrow.

isustudent

New

Post by isustudent » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:26 pm

Hopefully my award is waiting for me at home - we went under review the same day.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:29 pm

This link is a little preview on some exam policies.
http://www.law.uiowa.edu/documents/Impo ... _SPR09.pdf

For God's sake, don't write your name on it. :twisted:

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:34 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:This link is a little preview on some exam policies.

Why would we need a calculator? To compute damages or something? And what's a "quiet" snack? Marshmallows? Cotton candy?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:43 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:

Why would we need a calculator? To compute damages or something? And what's a "quiet" snack? Marshmallows? Cotton candy?
I assumed they were talking about wrappers (M&Ms, pretzels etc.) but I suppose crunchiness might qualify a snack as noisy.

greentrees

New

Post by greentrees » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:45 pm

Yeah. They don't accrue interest while you're in school (versus unsubsidized Stafford loans), have a low interest rate afterward, and have pretty good repayment terms.

Also...let me know if you all have any questions I can answer (as a 2L at Iowa).

greentrees

New

Post by greentrees » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:50 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:

Yes. Or for Tax. I am pretty sure we were allowed to use one in Family Law too (child support calculations).

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:55 pm

You may want to think about that. Remember, you're going to have 3 months where you're not in school (no fin-aid) but still have a lease. My UG always overstimates and they always send me a check at the end of the semester.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”