Emory Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
chicag-fro

New

Re: Emory Class of 2012

Post by chicag-fro » Wed May 27, 2009 1:41 am

h_frog_88 wrote:I need people to ball with frequently to stay sane
Same here... I dont know how much time we are going to have, but maybe we can plan to pickup games saturday or sunday mornings/afternoons or something. And I would be up for a volleyball game every now and then.

throughthewetgrass

New

Post by throughthewetgrass » Wed May 27, 2009 7:16 pm

chicag-fro wrote:
h_frog_88 wrote:I need people to ball with frequently to stay sane
Same here... I dont know how much time we are going to have, but maybe we can plan to pickup games saturday or sunday mornings/afternoons or something. And I would be up for a volleyball game every now and then.
word word word to all things bball.. i'll play volleyball too, much rather ball, but i'll play

h_frog_88

New

Post by h_frog_88 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:37 pm

I'll ball any day of the week but volleyball and bbqing and beer is hard to beat!

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:22 pm

have u all sent your second deposits yet?

And does anybody know how the 2nd deposit affects our WL situation? i dont remember Emory saying anything about how the 2nd deposit (or 1st) would require me to withdraw from all WLs, etc. but just wanted to see if anyone here knew before I called and asked... b/c i'm afraid to ask... b/c i'm afraid they will say YES, withdraw from all WLs. :(

royal34

New

Post by royal34 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:17 pm

i mailed my second deposit today!

i hope we dont have to withdraw from all WLs, because I don't plan on withdrawing from Columbia's.

im pretty set on Emory but if Columbia was to say yes.... well then...

But for now I'm looking for apartments in atl!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

throughthewetgrass

New

Post by throughthewetgrass » Fri May 29, 2009 7:55 pm

booker09 wrote:have u all sent your second deposits yet?

And does anybody know how the 2nd deposit affects our WL situation? i dont remember Emory saying anything about how the 2nd deposit (or 1st) would require me to withdraw from all WLs, etc. but just wanted to see if anyone here knew before I called and asked... b/c i'm afraid to ask... b/c i'm afraid they will say YES, withdraw from all WLs. :(
i dont think they can make you do that.. dont worry

throughthewetgrass

New

Post by throughthewetgrass » Sun May 31, 2009 12:55 pm

has anyone who has sent in their 2nd deposit received an email confirmation about it yet?

scBlueDevil

New

Post by scBlueDevil » Sun May 31, 2009 1:07 pm

throughthewetgrass wrote:has anyone who has sent in their 2nd deposit received an email confirmation about it yet?
Not yet, but it's only been five days. If I haven't received an email by June 3, then I'll call them and affirm that I did send my deposit. For the last deposit, I was surprised to get an email two days after I mailed my check... That just seemed abnormally fast.

funkblaster

New

Post by funkblaster » Sun May 31, 2009 4:29 pm

throughthewetgrass wrote:has anyone who has sent in their 2nd deposit received an email confirmation about it yet?
I called on Friday to confirm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:14 am

throughthewetgrass wrote:
booker09 wrote:have u all sent your second deposits yet?

i dont think they can make you do that.. dont worry
ah, thanks throughthewetgrass.

i just mailed my check today. i;m glad that i at least have a place to be the next 3 yrs.

royal34

New

Post by royal34 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:25 pm

mailed the check on Friday got the email confirmation today!

Emory here I come!!!

scBlueDevil

New

Post by scBlueDevil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:34 pm

I mailed my check on May 26 and still haven't received a confirmation email. I called the admissions office this morning, and they said that my deposit hasn't been processed yet but to give it a few days because they received a bunch of deposits in the mail... So then I logged onto my online backing account. Emory posted the check yesterday. :?:

edited a typo

caic517

New

Post by caic517 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:05 pm

Sent my deposit roughly around the week of May 25th and received my email confirmation on June 1st.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

longchamp

New

Post by longchamp » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Does anyone know if we have any year long courses at Emory? Also, are exams graded anonymously/how are grades posted? Kinda random but I just wanted to check on some of these things since I've been reading about how "most" schools do things and wanted to see about Emory specifically.

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:26 am

longchamp wrote:Does anyone know if we have any year long courses at Emory? Also, are exams graded anonymously/how are grades posted? Kinda random but I just wanted to check on some of these things since I've been reading about how "most" schools do things and wanted to see about Emory specifically.
longchamp,

obvi i havent done my research, but how do "most" other schools do those things? again, i havent done my research, but i'd imagine that grades will be posted on OPUS. (i know Emory posts grades on OPUS for undergrad, anyway)

simplyelle

New

Post by simplyelle » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:47 am

longchamp wrote:Does anyone know if we have any year long courses at Emory? Also, are exams graded anonymously/how are grades posted? Kinda random but I just wanted to check on some of these things since I've been reading about how "most" schools do things and wanted to see about Emory specifically.
We have two semesters of Civ Pro and LWRAP (legal writing), but they're graded separately each semester. Exams are all graded anonymously, we get an exam number at the start of the exam period and use that instead of our name to identify us. Grades are posted on OPUS--one by one as they're turned in...it's excruciating. lol, we actually just got all our grades in Wednesday, and now we have to wait for the registrar to release class rank info (this we get via email, not on OPUS)! Hope that helps!

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:16 am

i really wish there was another ASD or ASW, since i missed the one in april. i know there's orientation, but still

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crabbycakes

New

Post by crabbycakes » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:04 am

I am sitting on a few waitlists, so I have been holding out on getting an apartment, but I don't want to get screwed out of a good apartment for being too late. Anyone have any idea on how late is "too late" for getting a good apartment close to school?

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:10 pm

crabbycakes wrote:I am sitting on a few waitlists, so I have been holding out on getting an apartment, but I don't want to get screwed out of a good apartment for being too late. Anyone have any idea on how late is "too late" for getting a good apartment close to school?
DITTO, which i write in caps b/c i was wondering exactly the same thing

notachance

New

Post by notachance » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:16 pm

crabbycakes wrote:I am sitting on a few waitlists, so I have been holding out on getting an apartment, but I don't want to get screwed out of a good apartment for being too late. Anyone have any idea on how late is "too late" for getting a good apartment close to school?
i went there for undergrad and i know good apartments near school filled up pretty fast (like people started filling out paperwork in in december for an august move-in), but i also know that everyone was trying to live in the exact same apartment complex so that could have explained it. avoid looking at highland lake and gables montclair and you should be able to find something

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:43 pm

notachance wrote:
i went there for undergrad and i know good apartments near school filled up pretty fast (like people started filling out paperwork in in december for an august move-in), but i also know that everyone was trying to live in the exact same apartment complex so that could have explained it. avoid looking at highland lake and gables montclair and you should be able to find something
hey, notachance, i'm not familiar with the emory campus, and i was wondering where i should live if i want to be as close to the law school as possible? I know the apartments at president park are closer to the law building than the Campus crossings at Briarcliff, but president park looks a little...ghetto? at least from the pictures, anyway :|
Or are there any closer places? thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

notachance

New

Post by notachance » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:53 pm

booker09 wrote: hey, notachance, i'm not familiar with the emory campus, and i was wondering where i should live if i want to be as close to the law school as possible? I know the apartments at president park are closer to the law building than the Campus crossings at Briarcliff, but president park looks a little...ghetto? at least from the pictures, anyway :|
i'm not familiar with those apartments, but i can tell you they're right across the street from a liquor store/mcdonalds so i'm gonna go ahead and say your gut feeling is correct. i'd look for someplace down clairmont towards n. druid hills road -- if you're planning on driving to school you're probably going to be getting a clairmont (satellite campus) parking pass anyways (assuming you don't get the closer-to-the-law-school fischer -- i'm not sure how it works for grad students), and there are some shuttles that run pretty frequently towards different areas of the campus. i'm almost positive there's one that would take you to the law school. if you're walking, it's still a fairly easy walk to clairmont to catch the shuttle. and don't even think about public transportation. MARTA is terrible.

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:00 pm

notachance wrote:
booker09 wrote: hey, notachance, i'm not familiar with the emory campus, and i was wondering where i should live if i want to be as close to the law school as possible? I know the apartments at president park are closer to the law building than the Campus crossings at Briarcliff, but president park looks a little...ghetto? at least from the pictures, anyway :|
i'm not familiar with those apartments, but i can tell you they're right across the street from a liquor store/mcdonalds so i'm gonna go ahead and say your gut feeling is correct. i'd look for someplace down clairmont towards n. druid hills road -- if you're planning on driving to school you're probably going to be getting a clairmont (satellite campus) parking pass anyways (assuming you don't get the closer-to-the-law-school fischer -- i'm not sure how it works for grad students), and there are some shuttles that run pretty frequently towards different areas of the campus. i'm almost positive there's one that would take you to the law school. if you're walking, it's still a fairly easy walk to clairmont to catch the shuttle. and don't even think about public transportation. MARTA is terrible.
thanks for the tip!

i'm not planning to have a car, but i hear cars are a necessity at Emory? i'd really like to live somewhere close to Gambrell, or else close to a shuttle stop..mainly b/c the thought of taking an extra 5 minutes to find parking, etc, is slightly annoying for some strange reason (?).

what is fischer? a parking lot? :|

/edit/
Last edited by booker09 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

notachance

New

Post by notachance » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:22 pm

cars are pretty much a necessity, unfortunately, due to the fact that MARTA is such a joke and southerners never really got the hang of city planning (i kid! i kid!). the shuttle routes can be found here: http://transportation.emory.edu/ (i can't vouch for any of them because the only shuttle i ever took was the C shuttle). off the top of my head i'd say the four closest complexes to clairmont campus/C route are highland lake, lincoln at decatur, gables montclair, and the tall one on the corner of clairmont road and desmond drive (can't remember/find the name of it right now -- super helpful, i know). and i honestly can't think of any buildings near the law school, so i am little to no help there as well. good luck!

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:26 pm

I'm not bringing a car, but I am living at Briarcliff. Only a block or two from Kroger and a shuttle to the school at the complex. I could spend the parking pass and insurance costs on other things.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”