UCLA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mtndew16

New

Re: UCLA Class of 2012

Post by mtndew16 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:28 am

thruruby wrote:It's time to get this thread going again!

So, has anyone else received a grad housing offer yet? (Incidentally, have you been able to log into the UCLA move-in reservation system? For I am having troubles :()
I'm still waiting on a grad housing offer...I'm thinking next week maybe? (*fingers crossed*) What's the move-in reservation system?

thruruby

New

Post by thruruby » Sat May 09, 2009 2:31 am

mtndew16 wrote:

So, has anyone else received a grad housing offer yet? (Incidentally, have you been able to log into the UCLA move-in reservation system? For I am having troubles :()
I'm still waiting on a grad housing offer...I'm thinking next week maybe? (*fingers crossed*) What's the move-in reservation system?
It's supposed to tell me what building/room I'll be in. Other than that, I don't really know because I can't log in. Oh life.

I hope I score a room with a balcony!!!!

mtndew16

New

Post by mtndew16 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:22 am

thruruby wrote:
mtndew16 wrote:

It's supposed to tell me what building/room I'll be in. Other than that, I don't really know because I can't log in. Oh life.

I hope I score a room with a balcony!!!!
A balcony would be sweet!! :D Do you know if all the Weyburn apartment types have balconies? Or is it just a studio apt thing?

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Sat May 09, 2009 11:18 am

I'm still waiting to find out if I'm getting of the wait list for housing. They said they would let us know next week if any spots open up. So what is everyone planning to do to get from Weyburn to the Law School building? Shuttle, bike, or walk? I hope to do a little of each, but probably mostly the shuttle.

Is everyone planning on bringing a car? I will do so begrudgingly since it's going to more than double my insurance. But in L.A. it seems to be a necessity.

Squints

New

Post by Squints » Sat May 09, 2009 12:33 pm

theuserdylan wrote:I'm still waiting to find out if I'm getting of the wait list for housing. They said they would let us know next week if any spots open up. So what is everyone planning to do to get from Weyburn to the Law School building? Shuttle, bike, or walk? I hope to do a little of each, but probably mostly the shuttle.

Is everyone planning on bringing a car? I will do so begrudgingly since it's going to more than double my insurance. But in L.A. it seems to be a necessity.
It's a 15-minute walk from Weyburn Terrace to the law school. Nobody drives that, and during undergrad I never bothered to take the shuttle to that part of campus. It's a nice walk and an even nicer bike ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ladyshoes

New

Post by ladyshoes » Sat May 09, 2009 4:34 pm

I am planning on living in Eagle Rock with my sister. It's about 20 miles from campus. I'm curious if anyone knows what the start/end times on a 1L class schedule will be like and what type of commuter traffic I'll be looking at?

thruruby

New

Post by thruruby » Sat May 09, 2009 8:41 pm

ladyshoes wrote:I am planning on living in Eagle Rock with my sister. It's about 20 miles from campus. I'm curious if anyone knows what the start/end times on a 1L class schedule will be like and what type of commuter traffic I'll be looking at?
You can check out the schedule of the 2011 class here! http://www.law.ucla.edu/home/index.asp?page=1325
It basically looks like you'll be on campus from 9:15 - 2:30ish.

mtndew16 wrote: A balcony would be sweet!! :D Do you know if all the Weyburn apartment types have balconies? Or is it just a studio apt thing?
The one place I saw that had a balcony happened to be a studio, but I'm sure some of the other types of apts would have them too. Almost every apt facing west (towards the cemetery) has a balcony. I can't imagine those are ALL studios.

thruruby

New

Post by thruruby » Sat May 09, 2009 8:42 pm

PS. I was waitlisted at USC today. I want to send them my UCLA acceptance plus a note that says "Nyah nyah nyah nyah" :wink:

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Mon May 11, 2009 1:29 am

thruruby wrote: PS. I was waitlisted at USC today. I want to send them my UCLA acceptance plus a note that says "Nyah nyah nyah nyah"
Awesome. I got waitlisted at USC a few weeks back as well. It really hurt. Hahaha... NOT. They don't want me and I don't want them. It worked out nicely for both parties.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:26 am

mtndew16 wrote:

I'm still waiting, too! I hope I find out soon. :)

Edit: If we don't get parking in Weyburn, what are we supposed to do? Is there somewhere else to park?

mtndew16

New

Post by mtndew16 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:44 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:
mtndew16 wrote:

I'm still waiting, too! I hope I find out soon. :)

Edit: If we don't get parking in Weyburn, what are we supposed to do? Is there somewhere else to park?
I thought I read somewhere about housing offers and May 11, but I could have completely made that up in my mind lol. As for parking, I guess we'd just have to attempt to find parking on the street if we don't get it in Weyburn? (which would suck because I hear it's really hard to find parking anywhere in Westwood). I guess the trick is to move in early before all the parking spaces have been taken! Although in past years, everyone who wanted parking got it, apparently.

waldodanto

New

Post by waldodanto » Mon May 11, 2009 2:04 pm

ladyshoes wrote:I am planning on living in Eagle Rock with my sister. It's about 20 miles from campus. I'm curious if anyone knows what the start/end times on a 1L class schedule will be like and what type of commuter traffic I'll be looking at?
OMG WHERE IN EAGLE ROCK??? I love eagle rock. That might be a rough commute during classes though.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Mon May 11, 2009 2:13 pm

All I can say is you have your work cut out for you with that commute. 20 miles in normal people world is not that far, but the unpredictability of the combo of freeways between ER and UCLA is a different animal altogether. To make it manageable, I would suggest leaving by 7:00am and planning to study before class everyday. I know it seems harsh, but it means the difference between a 25 minute drive and an hour+ drive. Also, I would plan to escape right after class everyday to avoid the reverse traffic. I don't mean to be negative, but I learned the hard way commuting from Torrance to UCLA my first year there for undergrad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UandIaresplittsville

New

Post by UandIaresplittsville » Mon May 11, 2009 2:29 pm

theuserdylan wrote:
thruruby wrote: PS. I was waitlisted at USC today. I want to send them my UCLA acceptance plus a note that says "Nyah nyah nyah nyah"
Awesome. I got waitlisted at USC a few weeks back as well. It really hurt. Hahaha... NOT. They don't want me and I don't want them. It worked out nicely for both parties.
I got straight dinged. Is there a USC thread we can troll? I have a good friend going into 2L there and would enjoy a good rivalry :)

ladyshoes

New

Post by ladyshoes » Mon May 11, 2009 3:51 pm

I don't remember the name of the street in Eagle Rock, something like Yosemite maybe? It's about 5 miles from Dodger Stadium. I am fine with giving myself an hour and a half travel time, I'll be saving thousands in rent so it's like a part time job. I have never lived closer than 15 miles to UCSD (where I did my undergrad) and have taken classes during peak traffic hours. Plus I'm a pizza boy by trade, so my car is familiar territory for me. Another question; what am I looking at for parking?

I was also rejected from USC. They do rolling admissions, which may have affected some of us. Also, it's probable that an inferior institution would have difficulty recognizing excellence. Wouldn't you guys agree?

P.S. Waldo what's up with the Lake show? I'm a die hard Clippers fan and a Kobe HATER so I had a pretty good time with yesterdays game. Will this year mark KING Lebron James' ascension to his destined place atop the Championship Throne? I submit YES!

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:55 pm

ladyshoes wrote:
P.S. Waldo what's up with the Lake show? I'm a die hard Clippers fan and a Kobe HATER so I had a pretty good time with yesterdays game. Will this year mark KING Lebron James' ascension to his destined place atop the Championship Throne? I submit YES!
Clevelander here! I vote yes as well! :)

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Mon May 11, 2009 3:58 pm

ladyshoes wrote:Another question; what am I looking at for parking?
The cost of a student parking pass is $63/month or $189/quarter. As far as I can tell, there isn't an option for semester.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:13 pm

Got my housing offer! 2 bedroom townhouse. I'm nervous to find out who my roomie is, lol. I haven't really had a roommate since I was a sophomore in college.

mtndew16

New

Post by mtndew16 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:21 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:Got my housing offer! 2 bedroom townhouse. I'm nervous to find out who my roomie is, lol. I haven't really had a roommate since I was a sophomore in college.
I just got my housing offer too! 2 bedroom townhouse as well :D When do you think we'll find out who are roommates are?

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:58 pm

mtndew16 wrote:
ecclaw07 wrote:Got my housing offer! 2 bedroom townhouse. I'm nervous to find out who my roomie is, lol. I haven't really had a roommate since I was a sophomore in college.
I just got my housing offer too! 2 bedroom townhouse as well :D When do you think we'll find out who are roommates are?
Ahhh! I hope soon! Maybe we're roomies...?! Haha. :)

beeeker

New

Post by beeeker » Tue May 12, 2009 10:48 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:
mtndew16 wrote:

how were you two notified and what is your move in date? i am so anxious and i really want my housing offer! i listed my move in date for aug 15 so i wonder if i will hear shortly after you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mtndew16

New

Post by mtndew16 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:12 pm

beeeker wrote:
ecclaw07 wrote:
mtndew16 wrote:

how were you two notified and what is your move in date? i am so anxious and i really want my housing offer! i listed my move in date for aug 15 so i wonder if i will hear shortly after you!
I was notified via e-mail, and my move in date is August 1. You should hear very soon I would think!

mtndew16

New

Post by mtndew16 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:15 pm

ecclaw07 wrote:
mtndew16 wrote:
:D lol It's possible! How many townhouses do you think there are?

ecclaw07

New

Post by ecclaw07 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:35 am

mtndew16 wrote:
ecclaw07 wrote:
mtndew16 wrote:
:D lol It's possible! How many townhouses do you think there are?
Hm, not sure. I was trying to research about Weyburn today but didn't find too much helpful info. :) Does anyone know if law students are usually roommates with other law students??

UandIaresplittsville

New

Post by UandIaresplittsville » Wed May 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Shoot, I got my housing offer too and it's a townhouse. I was thinkin studio or bust - maybe gonna opt for a studio in the neighborhood? All my friends say "don't live in westwood!" - I'm assuming because of all the undergrads? I'm in my late 20s. Anyone want to give me some suggestions - something I can bus/bike to class? Neighborhoods?

I would kinda like to live in Weyburn, but I just can't imagine having a random roommate right now. Oh well, either way, excited about moving down there!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”