Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Cogito

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by Cogito » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:30 pm

JazzOne wrote:I can't wait!!!! Law Preview was awesome, and so was Austin. I love 107 degrees! And I want classes to start tomorrow.........
Yikes. I'm leaving for austin today to go apartment hunting. Transitioning from cool cali weather to the 100s will be interesting. At least it gives me a reason to wear my comped utlaw hat 8)

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Cogito wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I can't wait!!!! Law Preview was awesome, and so was Austin. I love 107 degrees! And I want classes to start tomorrow.........
Yikes. I'm leaving for austin today to go apartment hunting. Transitioning from cool cali weather to the 100s will be interesting. At least it gives me a reason to wear my comped utlaw hat 8)

It has been very hot lately, but it's not too bad. You get used to it. Besides, every building has central air. Honestly, I like the summers here better than I did up in Boston.

great8

New

Post by great8 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:51 pm

blackknight wrote:Speaking of workouts, does anyone know how the gym is at UT? Is it free for all students? and do you know if we can get our student IDs early so we can start using the gym?
I went to campus late last week and got my UT ID "upgraded", which essentially means I got an actual ID card (as opposed to just the online EID) and can now do stuff like sign up for direct deposit for loan acceptance online. Plus I think I can ride the city buses for free now - though I have yet to try it. I have not investigated gym access - though would like to do so before classes start and so will let y'all know what I find out.

If you're in town, it was absolutely a painless process - took maybe 15 minutes, if that. I think out-of-towners have to do something different (involving a notary?).

Sorry if this all old information to everyone - I don't really know what's common knowledge and what's not. So I hope it helps maybe a little bit....

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:04 pm

Cogito wrote:
The trick to the hundred+ degree weather is to spend a lot of time out in it--I bike a lot--and then you acclimatize! Or get heat stroke!

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:23 am

great8 wrote:
blackknight wrote:Speaking of workouts, does anyone know how the gym is at UT? Is it free for all students? and do you know if we can get our student IDs early so we can start using the gym?
I went to campus late last week and got my UT ID "upgraded", which essentially means I got an actual ID card (as opposed to just the online EID) and can now do stuff like sign up for direct deposit for loan acceptance online. Plus I think I can ride the city buses for free now - though I have yet to try it. I have not investigated gym access - though would like to do so before classes start and so will let y'all know what I find out.

If you're in town, it was absolutely a painless process - took maybe 15 minutes, if that. I think out-of-towners have to do something different (involving a notary?).

Sorry if this all old information to everyone - I don't really know what's common knowledge and what's not. So I hope it helps maybe a little bit....
I'm gonna be in town for a few days, would you mind shooting me a link or something describing where it is that one must venture in order to get one of these EID upgrades?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

river.rocks

New

Post by river.rocks » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:13 am

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:00 am

Cogito wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:Do we have e-mail addresses yet? Sorry if this has already been asked...

http://www.utexas.edu/its/services/email/

Click 'sign up now' next to 'UMBS Email' for the standard .utexas.edu domain email.
I did that... but it won't let me sign into Webmail on the Current Students UT website...

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:16 pm

:)
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:33 pm

whataboutbahb wrote:In off the WL. Pretty confused on what I should do.

I was lucky enough to get a 174 on the June LSAT. UT was where I wanted to end up all along (I'm in-state), but would I be crazy for not sitting out a year and at least seeing if I had a shot at Chicago, NYU (if they don't average), or MVP?
3 LSAT scores and a 3.55.
No, you wouldn't be crazy for matriculating at UT this fall. There are compelling reasons for sitting out and shooting for CCNMVP next year. But there's no guarantee you'll get any of them--or even UT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:22 pm

I was lucky enough to get a 174 on the June LSAT. UT was where I wanted to end up all along (I'm in-state), but would I be crazy for not sitting out a year and at least seeing if I had a shot at Chicago, NYU (if they don't average), or MVP?
Unless you have a more compelling reason to want to wait a year (a job offer or other plans for the next year), there's really no reason to take that risk. Getting into those schools is not guaranteed. Honestly, you could just waste your time waiting another year. I wouldn't be willing to take that risk for any school. UT Law has been my goal since I decided to go to law school. It sounds like it was your dream, too. Why give it up when you weren't interested in those schools before?

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm

Did you get off the waitlist because of your new LSAT score and did they offer you any money? From what I've seen on LSN, a 174 LSAT would definitely get you in at Virginia (don't know about Mich or Penn). I can't really say how the three LSAT scores would affect your chances overall, though.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:53 pm

is UT giving you $$$ for matriculating this year. even if UT is your ideal school, i'd sit out an extra year if it meant a huge scholly (which, in your case you'd probably be looking at near full ride)

blackknight

New

Post by blackknight » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:03 pm

I would only wait till next year if you had something constructive to fill your time with. Next cycle there will be no gurantees. I have very similar numbers and trust me you are not guranteed anywhere. If you wait till next year you can get some money from UT, but I wouldnt expect close to a full ride. And sitting out a year due to wanting a scholarship is not that great of an idea because while you would have scholarship money you are also starting to work a year later, which some people may view as a good thing because it will give the economy more time to settle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:18 am

JoeShmo wrote:
Cogito wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:Do we have e-mail addresses yet? Sorry if this has already been asked...

Click 'sign up now' next to 'UMBS Email' for the standard .utexas.edu domain email.
I did that... but it won't let me sign into Webmail on the Current Students UT website...
Anybody else having this problem?

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:36 pm

JoeShmo wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:
Cogito wrote:

Anybody else having this problem?
By this I assume you mean that you logged into utdirect.utexas.edu, got to your hompage, and clicked on "Go to My Webmail!" If that's what you mean, then no, I've never had that problem. I don't know anyone that has.

Apparently my email was reactivated when I decided to go to UT again. Totally annoying, because the Daily Texan newsletter that I got as an undergrad was delivered again. I hadn't checked the email since I graduated, so I am now deleting like 2 years worth of Daily Texan emails. They stopped coming for awhile, but started back. I can't figure out how to make them stop, because I don't know my login for that site any more.

EDIT: Apparently changing my username will solve this problem in about 30 days. This is good because I wanted to change it anyway. The email address you pick at 17 when you think email is for gossip and newsletters is very different from the one you pick at 24 when you stop to imagine what it will look like on a resume.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:21 pm

penni_rose wrote:
Apparently my email was reactivated when I decided to go to UT again. Totally annoying, because the Daily Texan newsletter that I got as an undergrad was delivered again. I hadn't checked the email since I graduated, so I am now deleting like 2 years worth of Daily Texan emails. They stopped coming for awhile, but started back. I can't figure out how to make them stop, because I don't know my login for that site any more.

I'm sorry, Penni. This made me laugh. :lol:
penni_rose wrote:EDIT: Apparently changing my username will solve this problem in about 30 days. This is good because I wanted to change it anyway. The email address you pick at 17 when you think email is for gossip and newsletters is very different from the one you pick at 24 when you stop to imagine what it will look like on a resume.
Smart lady.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like I have some serious thinking to do.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:50 am

Got off the waitlist last week and sent in my deposit today. Just wanted to say hi

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:51 am

mpar wrote:Got off the waitlist last week and sent in my deposit today. Just wanted to say hi

Congratulations!

Welcome aboard!

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:30 am

mpar wrote:Got off the waitlist last week and sent in my deposit today. Just wanted to say hi
Way to go! Welcome!

Cogito

New

Post by Cogito » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am

howdy partna

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks yall

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Hey everyone! I just discovered TLS while bored - as usual - at work (probably not the best sign since I work at a law firm, hmm...) I'm an out-of-stater from Salt Lake City, although I did my undergrad at Arizona State. I'm super excited to get out of Utah and move to Austin. Just wanted to say thanks for keeping me entertained at work :D

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Alta wrote:Hey everyone! I just discovered TLS while bored - as usual - at work (probably not the best sign since I work at a law firm, hmm...) I'm an out-of-stater from Salt Lake City, although I did my undergrad at Arizona State. I'm super excited to get out of Utah and move to Austin. Just wanted to say thanks for keeping me entertained at work :D
Welcome. This site entertains me at work too.

TheIdiot

New

Post by TheIdiot » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:25 pm

95 in Portland today. Gearing up for the Texas heat in 3 short weeks :mrgreen:

For those who have been, is that water park outside of Austin worth it (for an almost 5 and 8 year old)?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”