Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaAttorney

Silver

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by OperaAttorney » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Daico wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
Thanks for looking out. But I'm not paying for it; that's why I'm going. Plus, I think it will be a nice way to meet other law students.
My theory is that we should actually put this off as long as possible. I suspect that after 1L we'll be ready to kill each other.
We're already ready to kill each other on TLS. Meeting some law students in the flesh a month (or two) before law school starts won't make a difference to me. :lol:

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:31 pm

I'm not doing law preview, but I am reading some E&Es and other books. Working on Glannon's Torts E&E right now...

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:40 pm

I just got home from my first day interning with a state district judge. That was very fun. The judge is so nice.

I observed a hearing this morning in which this chap plead guilty to intoxicated assault. He had caused a car accident which resulted in a pedestrian losing a leg. But the interesting thing about the case was that the defendant tried to use his military background as a mitigating factor in the sentencing. He suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, and he had sustained some documented injuries to his brain in Iraq. I think I'm going to like working in this field. With all the hand wringing on TLS, I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed with law school approaching, but today's experience really brought it all home and reminded me why I decided to go this route in the first place.

Cheers everyone. Hope your summer is going well.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:54 pm

That's cool. My aunt is a district judge up in the Dallas area. It seems to be really rewarding work, plus she makes good money. She's in a juvenile court, though. I don't think that I could do that. Dealing with 16-yr-olds who kill people doesn't really appeal to me.

I'm more into the civil side myself (IP in particular given my background in publishing), but a lot of my family went the criminal route. They get some really interesting stuff to work on. It makes for really entertaining talk at Christmas.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:35 pm

JazzOne wrote:I just got home from my first day interning with a state district judge. That was very fun. The judge is so nice.

I observed a hearing this morning in which this chap plead guilty to intoxicated assault. He had caused a car accident which resulted in a pedestrian losing a leg. But the interesting thing about the case was that the defendant tried to use his military background as a mitigating factor in the sentencing. He suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, and he had sustained some documented injuries to his brain in Iraq. I think I'm going to like working in this field. With all the hand wringing on TLS, I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed with law school approaching, but today's experience really brought it all home and reminded me why I decided to go this route in the first place.

Cheers everyone. Hope your summer is going well.
Good stuff, Jazz.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:43 pm

How are TX nonresidents doing with apt hunting?

I'm considering a room in a fully-furnished loft about 10 mins from campus. Rent + utilities will be $500-600/month. The owner, who'd be my loft mate, is gay (like me), in his 40s (I want an older roommate), and only home about 10 days each month. The pics look great. We get on well over the phone. I'm flying to Austin next month to check it out. I'm excited.

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:13 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:How are TX nonresidents doing with apt hunting?

I'm considering a room in a fully-furnished loft about 10 mins from campus. Rent + utilities will be $500-600/month. The owner, who'd be my loft mate, is gay (like me), in his 40s (I want an older roommate), and only home about 10 days each month. The pics look great. We get on well over the phone. I'm flying to Austin next month to check it out. I'm excited.
I'll be at The Triangle apartments. It's a 5-10 minute drive, right on the shuttle route. The complex has bars, restaurants, coffee shops, dry-cleaning, etc. It's a really nice place and I'd highly recommend looking into it if some of you are still undecided on where you'll be residing.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:16 pm

JoeShmo wrote:

I'll be at The Triangle apartments. It's a 5-10 minute drive, right on the shuttle route. The complex has bars, restaurants, coffee shops, dry-cleaning, etc. It's a really nice place and I'd highly recommend looking into it if some of you are still undecided on where you'll be residing.
What are rents like for apartments at the Triangle? I'm going to renew my lease at Far West for 1L but I might want to move before 2L, and the Triangle location would work really well for both me and my SO.

blackknight

New

Post by blackknight » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:09 pm

I just got back from Duplex shopping in Austin and think im going to get a place in Northwest Austin which took me about 20 minutes to get to the law school. I like the fact that it will give me a backyard and what not.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:13 pm

I signed a lease at the villas on guadalupe for $730 a month + $68 a month parking garage + utilities = $840 to $850??

It seemed really nice when I saw it but I regret not doing careful research on the place. It's a 2 br/1 loft/2Bathroom apartment on guadalupe and its a 10-15 min walk from the law school. It also include cable (hbo), internet, and a washer/dryer. After I read reviews on it though, I realized that I may have just signed up for a place that is overpopulated with loudass undergrounds who party from sunday to sunday. Hopefully, the reviews were just exaggerated and its not really that bad. I also feel like I may have overpaid for it since I'm used to paying like a max of 450 a month in college station for everything I got. However, it is a very nice looking place (read its built out of cheap materials though) and I LOVE Guadalupe. God, I hope that I'm not forced to live in the library next year just to study in silence!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:15 pm

blackknight wrote:I just got back from Duplex shopping in Austin and think im going to get a place in Northwest Austin which took me about 20 minutes to get to the law school. I like the fact that it will give me a backyard and what not.
Nice. Do you plan to rent out the rest of the Duplex?

TheIdiot

New

Post by TheIdiot » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:15 pm

lsatismybitchlover wrote:I signed a lease at the villas on guadalupe for $730 a month + $68 a month parking garage + utilities = $840 to $850??

It seemed really nice when I saw it but I regret not doing careful research on the place. It's a 2 br/1 loft/2Bathroom apartment on guadalupe and its a 10-15 min walk from the law school. It also include cable (hbo), internet, and a washer/dryer. After I read reviews on it though, I realized that I may have just signed up for a place that is overpopulated with loudass undergrounds who party from sunday to sunday. Hopefully, the reviews were just exaggerated and its not really that bad. I also feel like I may have overpaid for it since I'm used to paying like a max of 450 a month in college station for everything I got. However, it is a very nice looking place (read its built out of cheap materials though) and I LOVE Guadalupe. God, I hope that I'm not forced to live in the library next year just to study in silence!
I think 100% of the apartments I looked at had mostly negative reviews. I think those forums are just a place for people to bitch, so hopefully that's the case for the Villas.

Unfortunately, my shitty credit and need for a cheap 3 bedroom left me w/only one option: student housing. Hopefully it's ok. Otherwise, I call dibs on blackknight's backyard.

And can anyone shed light on electricity rates for Austin during the hot v. mild seasons?

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:32 pm

My electric bill is pretty much steady year round between 110 and 130. This is a 1 bedroom apartment with 2 people in it. My husband leaves computers, TVs, and lights on all the time, though, so mine might be a little higher than it has to be.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lsatismybitchlover

New

Post by lsatismybitchlover » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:10 pm

TheIdiot wrote:
lsatismybitchlover wrote:I signed a lease at the villas on guadalupe for $730 a month + $68 a month parking garage + utilities = $840 to $850??

I think 100% of the apartments I looked at had mostly negative reviews. I think those forums are just a place for people to bitch, so hopefully that's the case for the Villas.

Unfortunately, my shitty credit and need for a cheap 3 bedroom left me w/only one option: student housing. Hopefully it's ok. Otherwise, I call dibs on blackknight's backyard.

And can anyone shed light on electricity rates for Austin during the hot v. mild seasons?
I sure hope you're right. Either way, I'm excited as hell about Austin even if it does rape my wallet dry.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:25 pm

TheIdiot wrote:

Austin Energy is pretty decent. Its a city-owned public utility so its rates are fairly consistent. I keep the AC off when I can and keep the temperature in the high 70s, so I've only been paying about $55/month for the past four months for my one bedroom. I expect during july and august my bills will get closer to $80 or $90.

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 am

Eesh. It's probably not gonna be uninhabitable, but West Campus is notorious for being the loudest neighborhod around campus. Lots of UGs. Lots of drunks.

Still, its not intolerable. As long as your direct neighbors in the complex aren't having parties you'll be fine.

joesrevenge

New

Post by joesrevenge » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:20 am

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Villas on Guad is not a quiet place. I live about 50 yards away and have many fraternity brothers who live there. Its aesthetically pleasing and the places themselves are nice, but the walls are thin and the parties are plentiful (I know because I have been to quite a few of them). The good news is that most of the partying is on Th-Sat so you should be OK for the most part during the week.

You actually got a decent price. A couple years ago they were charging $900 a month.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

longhornnyc

New

Post by longhornnyc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 am

Yea, hopefully you'll have a good experience, but that is (was, at least) undergrad party land.

Vandypepe

New

Post by Vandypepe » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:56 am

I hate to be that guy, but maybe this will help someone.

Two spacious 3 br/2 ba duplexes in East Austin, only 1 mile from the Law School!!! (both sides are currently available - $2000/mo per side). Both feature a fenced back yard, updated kitchen, washer/dryer, ceiling fans, car port w/ storage, and 24 hour coffee shop 1/2 block away! If interested, please contact Emily Burrows at e.burrows@mail.utexas.edu

my apologies...

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:53 am

Esc wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:

What are rents like for apartments at the Triangle? I'm going to renew my lease at Far West for 1L but I might want to move before 2L, and the Triangle location would work really well for both me and my SO.
I'll be splitting a 1BR with my SO. The rent is 1085 total. I've heard the Triangle is more expensive than most, but from what I've seen, it's worth it. http://www.triangleaustin.com

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:54 am

JoeShmo wrote:
Esc wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:

I'll be splitting a 1BR with my SO. The rent is 1085 total. I've heard the Triangle is more expensive than most, but from what I've seen, it's worth it. http://www.triangleaustin.com
Isn't that a bit far from campus? Those apartments looked nice, but I also remember thinking it was quite distant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:17 am

Isn't that a bit far from campus? Those apartments looked nice, but I also remember thinking it was quite distant.
You think Triangle is far, really? IIRC, it's just a short drive. It's right on the bus route.

I can't even imagine what you would say about the fact that I don't live in Austin city limits. I'm not moving either. We're too convenient to my husband's work. Plus, it's a lot cheaper up where I am.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:22 am

penni_rose wrote:
You think Triangle is far, really? IIRC, it's just a short drive. It's right on the bus route.

I can't even imagine what you would say about the fact that I don't live in Austin city limits. I'm not moving either. We're too convenient to my husband's work. Plus, it's a lot cheaper up where I am.
I can understand if you're already established in Austin. However, if you're moving to Austin solely for law school, I would think you'd want to be as close to campus as possible. Also, I'm not very familiar with Austin. The Triangle apartments seemed far to me, but maybe I'm mistaken. I happened to drive by them when I got lost one day.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 pm

JoeShmo wrote:
Esc wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:

I'd love to live in The Triangle, especially since all of my favorite stores and hangouts are on Guadalupe, but that's too pricey for me. My 1BR in Far West is $825/month split between me and my SO, and that's one of the more expensive deals for the area. I have a longer shuttle and/or bike ride to school, though.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:52 pm

JazzOne wrote: I can understand if you're already established in Austin. However, if you're moving to Austin solely for law school, I would think you'd want to be as close to campus as possible. Also, I'm not very familiar with Austin. The Triangle apartments seemed far to me, but maybe I'm mistaken. I happened to drive by them when I got lost one day.
It depends. If you are by yourself and can afford a nice place close to campus (or tolerate a bad place close to campus), then that would make sense. If you are moving a family or SO with you, I could see wanting to be somewhere farther away. Also, if you're trying to save money (arguably not the case here given that he picked the Triangle, which has a reputation for being expensive), you might want to move farther out. You can get much larger places for much less $$ if you move away from campus.

It probably depends on a lot of personal things. Some people want to be able to walk to class. I did that in grad school it was nice, but really expensive to live that close to school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”