Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
txag_09

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by txag_09 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Texas boy here. Grew up in a po-dunk town outside of Waco. I lived next to a cow pasture, a power substation, and the high school. During the 2004 election, one of the buildings on the main drag had a stand-up of W with an American flag that remained constantly lit. I am the only person out of my class going to grad school so far.

Regional diversity...no. "Cultural" diversity...I guess that depends on how many country boys we wind up with. :lol:

Edit: Spelling.

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:27 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Might it be a good idea to include where we hail from? I'm from California and am curious to see how many non-Texans are headed to Austin this fall. What do y'all think?
Interested in going back to Cali to practice?
Not really. I'm over California. For the last 5 years I have nursed the desire to make Texas my home. Thank Heaven for UT!

I've visited Dallas and Houston. Dallas? 1 Thumb down. Houston? 2 Thumbs up.
Opera! You're coming to UT? You're a TLS legend!

I was born in West Texas and grew up in Houston. I lived in France for a year and a half when I was two if that contributes anything to diversity.

SoberHobo

New

Post by SoberHobo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 am

For those who got scholarships: mine isn't showing up anywhere on the CASH system with my other awards. Is this normal or should I call the financial aid office?

longhornnyc

New

Post by longhornnyc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:33 am

Has anyone else not received their financial aid award information yet?

joesrevenge

New

Post by joesrevenge » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:39 am

Several things:
1) this opera(attorney) is different from the TLS legend opera(soprano)
2)View your financial aid history on the CASH website. Click on the most recent date and look at the number under additional support. Thats where my scholly info is.
3)I would call in if you have not received your fin aid yet. Did you submit your FAFSA before 3/31?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:41 am

I've been forced to defer to next year. Anyone else? We could start a "Class of 2013" thread.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:00 am

nukelaloosh wrote:I've been forced to defer to next year. Anyone else? We could start a "Class of 2013" thread.
me! too bad there's no TLS Class of 2013 Forum

how do we petition to get one started?

Catch22

New

Post by Catch22 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 am

Just want to throw out there that I was proud to see UT bumped up in the rankings today. :)

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:59 am

I guess I should discuss my background.

I'm African American. Born in Los Angeles, CA. Lived in overseas (Nigeria, Saudi Arabia) for 8 years. Returned to California in my late teens. Love Texas (especially Houston). Honored to become a Longhorn.

My hope: that UT becomes a T14 before we graduate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:02 am

OperaAttorney wrote:My hope: that UT becomes a T14 before we graduate.
With the kind of scholarship money UT is splashing around this year, I wouldn't be surprised if we have a very strong class. Did you pick up any scholarship money?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:27 am

JazzOne wrote:
With the kind of scholarship money UT is splashing around this year, I wouldn't be surprised if we have a very strong class. Did you pick up any scholarship money?

Hell YEAH! That's one of the reasons I'm in luv with UT! They're treating me like a Texan--and I'm not even there yet!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:35 pm

SoberHobo wrote:For those who got scholarships: mine isn't showing up anywhere on the CASH system with my other awards. Is this normal or should I call the financial aid office?
My Chancellor's only shows up under "previous financial aid notifications," however, it is only listed as "additional resources."

semperfi1860

New

Post by semperfi1860 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:19 am

JazzOne wrote:
Agreed. I didn't think there was a chance that I was going, but the money and the show Sager & Co. put on for the ASW really convinced me. I'm glad I can officially re-affirm my Texanness :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:47 am

joesrevenge wrote:Several things:
Awwwww...oh well, welcome aboard anyway!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:32 am

Daico wrote:
joesrevenge wrote:Several things:
Awwwww...oh well, welcome aboard anyway!
Thanks.

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:39 am

JazzOne wrote:

From looking at LSN, UT has been VERY generous with their money this year. Not to bring up an old topic, but they are putting a lot of their near competitors - namely GULC and Cornell - to total shame. It doesn't even look like UCLA and Vandy are really keeping pace. I am hoping for one hell of a class this year! (But oh, the competition...)

On to an unrelated subject, how is the housing hunt going for everyone?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:43 am

txag_09 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

From looking at LSN, UT has been VERY generous with their money this year. Not to bring up an old topic, but they are putting a lot of their near competitors - namely GULC and Cornell - to total shame. It doesn't even look like UCLA and Vandy are really keeping pace. I am hoping for one hell of a class this year! (But oh, the competition...)

I was telling my mom last night how nervous and excited I am to be attending school with so many smart people. I think my index is near the bottom of the class (according to LSN), so I'm worried about well I will compete for grades. I hope LSN and TLS are not representative of the whole class or else I'm in trouble.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:09 pm

JazzOne wrote:
txag_09 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I was telling my mom last night how nervous and excited I am to be attending school with so many smart people. I think my index is near the bottom of the class (according to LSN), so I'm worried about well I will compete for grades. I hope LSN and TLS are not representative of the whole class or else I'm in trouble.
I know that feeling! I'm not overly concerned though: past threads seem to have concluded that TLS represents the most deranged and paranoid subgroup of all the neurotic overachievers in the applicant pool. If anything, there will surely be those who discover 6th Street and start gearing their efforts towards the wrong bar exam.

I do not, however, wish that upon any of my future classmates. :D

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:14 pm

txag_09 wrote:I know that feeling! I'm not overly concerned though: past threads seem to have concluded that TLS represents the most deranged and paranoid subgroup of all the neurotic overachievers in the applicant pool. If anything, there will surely be those who discover 6th Street and start gearing their efforts towards the wrong bar exam.

I'm sure TLS mentality is the minority, but still, there are a lot of us TLSers going to UT!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:09 pm

txag_09 wrote:
I know that feeling! I'm not overly concerned though: past threads seem to have concluded that TLS represents the most deranged and paranoid subgroup of all the neurotic overachievers in the applicant pool. If anything, there will surely be those who discover 6th Street and start gearing their efforts towards the wrong bar exam.

+ 1

I'm not worried. Everyone--including our peers with 3.9+s & 175+s--will have to adjust to the new game that is law school. Certainly, some will "play" better than others, but I think the nature of the game gives almost everyone a fair chance to do well. I do take comfort, however, in the fact that some of my classmates will live for 6th street :).

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:18 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
txag_09 wrote:

+ 1

I'm not worried. Everyone--including our peers with 3.9+s & 175+s--will have to adjust to the new game that is law school. Certainly, some will "play" better than others, but I think the nature of the game gives almost everyone a fair chance to do well. I do take comfort, however, in the fact that some of my classmates will live for 6th street :).
Wow. I can't believe I've almost forgotten all about 6th, haha. I wonder how much is too much in terms of going-out in law school. I'm figuring I'll take one night per week to get my fun on, and maybe that'll keep me sane as I spend most of my other time in the library.

Anyone else have any thoughts on balancing Austin with law school?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:26 pm

art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
txag_09 wrote:

+ 1

Wow. I can't believe I've almost forgotten all about 6th, haha. I wonder how much is too much in terms of going-out in law school. I'm figuring I'll take one night per week to get my fun on, and maybe that'll keep me sane as I spend most of my other time in the library.

Going out isn't a big thing for me, as I neither drink nor smoke. I do enjoy shooting pool, though, so I might occasionally endure smoke-laden air to shoot a few rounds. I intend to balance Austin with law school by exercising (indoor/outdoor), cooking, and meditating. If I have my way, I'll have my own place, with a nice kitchen. I'm still trying to create a super healthy yet tasty recipe for macNcheese. :lol:

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:35 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
txag_09 wrote:

+ 1

Going out isn't a big thing for me, as I neither drink nor smoke. I do enjoy shooting pool, though, so I might occasionally endure smoke-laden air to shoot a few rounds. I intend to balance Austin with law school by exercising (indoor/outdoor), cooking, and meditating. If I have my way, I'll have my own place, with a nice kitchen. I'm still trying to create a super healthy yet tasty recipe for macNcheese. :lol:
+1

Instead of spending money on 6th St., my fiance and I are going to rent a big house with a yard for our dogs and a big kitchen for some home cooking. Fellow TLSers are welcome to stop by for my own gourmet pizzas, made from scratch. (Said pizzas were mentioned in my PS and probably account for my scholarship.)

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:47 pm

JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
+1

Instead of spending money on 6th St., my fiance and I are going to rent a big house with a yard for our dogs and a big kitchen for some home cooking. Fellow TLSers are welcome to stop by for my own gourmet pizzas, made from scratch. (Said pizzas were mentioned in my PS and probably account for my scholarship.)
Are TLSers who reject an originalist interpretation of the US constitution welcome? :lol: Hahahaha

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:49 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
+1

Are TLSers who reject an originalist interpretation of the US constitution welcome? :lol: Hahahaha
Of course! I haven't even formulated my own position on this issue. It's amazing how out of touch I feel as a science major. I know a whole lot about chemistry and biology but shamefully little about history and government. I'm working on that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”