Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Daico

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by Daico » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:48 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Esc wrote:That's awesome. I didn't think they had that little class.
I lost all respect for Baylor when I met this kid at the Princeton Review SAT training. He was a musician (as am I), so I started chatting with him about his musical interests. He was Indian (dot not feather); he was trying to be a hip hop rapper; he was a vegetarian who never drinks and gets a "buzz" from caffeine. Then he got mad because I told him he had no street cred.
How does that even come up in conversation?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:53 pm

SoberHobo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
I lost all respect for Baylor when I met this kid at the Princeton Review SAT training. He was a musician (as am I), so I started chatting with him about his musical interests. He was Indian (dot not feather); he was trying to be a hip hop rapper; he was a vegetarian who never drinks and gets a "buzz" from caffeine. Then he got mad because I told him he had no street cred.
Haha, I don't know where you come from, but that's gangsta in Detroit. Have you been to the Elephant Room yet? I've been meaning to check it out.
Never heard of it. ??

SoberHobo

New

Post by SoberHobo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:56 pm

JazzOne wrote:
SoberHobo wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Haha, I don't know where you come from, but that's gangsta in Detroit. Have you been to the Elephant Room yet? I've been meaning to check it out.
Never heard of it. ??
It's a jazz bar on Congress. From what I read it's supposed to be pretty good. I just assumed you liked jazz.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:57 pm

Daico wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
How does that even come up in conversation?
I think he mentioned it during the training actually. I usually wouldn't make fun of someone for trying something new, but this guy also told me he didn't give a shit about the job, and he was just teaching SAT for some extra cash. I got pissed off because some high school kids were going to be relying on him to help get them into college, and he was such a selfish douchebag. Even though I wasn't the trainer for the session, I had been with Princeton Review for a while, and I made a few calls to make sure he didn't get any gigs.
Last edited by JazzOne on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 pm

SoberHobo wrote:It's a jazz bar on Congress. From what I read it's supposed to be pretty good. I just assumed you liked jazz.
Yup, I love jazz, and I've been playing the sax for about 20 years. I'll check out that bar, but I'll probably get sucked into gigging again. That would be a huge time sink, so I'm trying to quit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SoberHobo

New

Post by SoberHobo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:04 pm

So, other than the required books, what is everyone buying? Hornbooks, etc....? I have no idea what to get.

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:29 pm

I've been chatting with the Co-Op, Professor Silver, and the Department of Student Affairs to try and figure out what the CivPro book list; Silver says he turned in his list and was told it was available and Student Affairs said they had no record of that. They took down my number and said they were going to try and have it figured out within a day. I'll post here when I hear more.
JazzOne wrote:
SoberHobo wrote:It's a jazz bar on Congress. From what I read it's supposed to be pretty good. I just assumed you liked jazz.
Yup, I love jazz, and I've been playing the sax for about 20 years. I'll check out that bar, but I'll probably get sucked into gigging again. That would be a huge time sink, so I'm trying to quit.
Let me know if you do, I am a fan of Jazz.
SoberHobo wrote:So, other than the required books, what is everyone buying? Hornbooks, etc....? I have no idea what to get.
I'm picking up the (near-legendary) Glannon E&E for Civ Pro, the E&E for Contracts, and a friend suggested the Dobbs Law of Torts book for Torts--apparently my Torts prof refers to it in class when he needs a reference.

I'm also looking to pick up some $5 used versions of texts so I can just stash one set of books in my locker for easy reference without having to lug the suckers back and forth all the time. So far I've found a $20 copy of the torts casebook and I picked up a $5 copy of the contracts book.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:14 pm

I love the Glannon CivPro E&E. That book is awesome. His Torts E&E is good, too. Chirelstein's Concepts and Case Analysis book for K's is highly recommended, but I haven't read that one.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:40 pm

SoberHobo wrote:So, other than the required books, what is everyone buying? Hornbooks, etc....? I have no idea what to get.

For K, Understanding Contracts, Lexis Nexis is great. As is the E&E. Those two books & really nothing else were what got me through contracts.

For my property class, it followed the Understanding Property Lexis Nexis hornbook EXACTLY. It was absolutely essential. The E&E was pretty worthless, as was the Emmanuel. Of course it depends on your prof.

For conlaw, it really depends on your prof, & the profs at UT are pretty different. For me, the American Supreme Court book at the bookstore was essential, b/c our class was pretty historical. If your class is a trad. one, then get chemerinsky or whatever. Mine wasn't traditional at all, so chemerinsky was pretty worthless.

For civpro, I didn't really like the E&E. we had a L&E prof, so I thought that the Freer Civpro hornbook was the best, along with the Samuel Issacharoff Civil Procedure book from the concepts & insights series.

Of course, it will absolutely depend on your class as to what is useful. My advice would be to check out which ones work for you & to do so early. Get legalines for your casebooks if they have them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:43 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:

For K, Understanding Contracts, Lexis Nexis is great. As is the E&E. Those two books & really nothing else were what got me through contracts.

For my property class, it followed the Understanding Property Lexis Nexis hornbook EXACTLY. It was absolutely essential. The E&E was pretty worthless, as was the Emmanuel. Of course it depends on your prof.

For conlaw, it really depends on your prof, & the profs at UT are pretty different. For me, the American Supreme Court book at the bookstore was essential, b/c our class was pretty historical. If your class is a trad. one, then get chemerinsky or whatever. Mine wasn't traditional at all, so chemerinsky was pretty worthless.

For civpro, I didn't really like the E&E. we had a L&E prof, so I thought that the Freer Civpro hornbook was the best, along with the Samuel Issacharoff Civil Procedure book from the concepts & insights series.

Of course, it will absolutely depend on your class as to what is useful. My advice would be to check out which ones work for you & to do so early. Get legalines for your casebooks if they have them.
Hey RAT,

Who was your Contracts prof? Was it Rau? LOL

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:46 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:

Hey RAT,

Who was your Contracts prof? Was it Rau? LOL
Our sec. had a visiting prof. Towards the end of that sem. I realized I pretty much knew nothing about contracts & so I read a billion pages out of those 2 books & it turned out OK. But if I had never got those books, I dunno what would've happened, haha.

TheIdiot

New

Post by TheIdiot » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:07 pm

CivPro:
Glannon E&E
Glannon Guide

For those who have Albright, I heard this will be only her second year teaching the course and thus, she relies quite heavily on these. In fact, I think she's the only one to require the E&E.

Torts:
Glannon E&E
The Forms and Function of Tort Law (Abraham)
Understanding Torts (Lexis Nexis)

I probably could get by w/pairing the E&E w/only one of the latter but they are each under 400 pages. Daico, I looked at the Dobbs book (I think you have Anderson as well) but it seems awfully large. Yet, I heard he questions a lot on specific details (as opposed to larger themes/policy issues) but doesn't focus on the black-letter stuff as much in lecture. Thus, the Dobbs book may be a good reference. However, detailed class notes, a solid commercial outline, and an occasional visit to Dobbs in the library may do the same trick.

Contracts:
Concepts and Case Analysis in the Law of Contracts (Chirelstein)

I've heard this is especially good for Rau (although it's generally recommended on TLS). I'm also debating the E&E and the Understanding Contracts (Lexis Nexis). I have heard mixed opinions regarding the former, but these may be relative critiques (i.e. pinning it against the Glannon E&E's, specifically his CivPro).

For those other (non-fall classes for me) :D

Con Law:
Chemerinsky

Criminal Law:
Dressler

Property:
I got nothing. E&E for shits and giggles?

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:08 pm

TheIdiot wrote:
CivPro:
Glannon E&E
Glannon Guide

For those who have Albright, I heard this will be only her second year teaching the course and thus, she relies quite heavily on these. In fact, I think she's the only one to require the E&E.

Torts:
Glannon E&E

I probably could get by w/pairing the E&E w/only one of the latter but they are each under 400 pages. Daico, I looked at the Dobbs book (I think you have Anderson as well) but it seems awfully large. Yet, I heard he questions a lot on specific details (as opposed to larger themes/policy issues) but doesn't focus on the black-letter stuff as much in lecture. Thus, the Dobbs book may be a good reference. However, detailed class notes, a solid commercial outline, and an occasional visit to Dobbs in the library may do the same trick.

Contracts:

I've heard this is especially good for Rau (although it's generally recommended on TLS). I'm also debating the E&E and the Understanding Contracts (Lexis Nexis). I have heard mixed opinions regarding the former, but these may be relative critiques (i.e. pinning it against the Glannon E&E's, specifically his CivPro).

Con Law:
Chemerinsky

Criminal Law:
Dressler

Property:
Also check 2Ls and such for the Rau bible. It's apparently an outline that matches the class perfectly, likely a good reference to have.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheIdiot

New

Post by TheIdiot » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Daico wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:
CivPro:
Glannon E&E
Glannon Guide

Torts:
Glannon E&E

Contracts:

Con Law:
Chemerinsky

Criminal Law:
Dressler

Property:
Also check 2Ls and such for the Rau bible. It's apparently an outline that matches the class perfectly, likely a good reference to have.
I assume you don't know the name (just the legend)?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:03 pm

I'm still trying to find out more info on Laurin, who is teaching Crim Law for section 4. Does anyone know anything about her?

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:05 pm

Esc wrote:I'm still trying to find out more info on Laurin, who is teaching Crim Law for section 4. Does anyone know anything about her?
Only that she was a civil rights attorney in New York (I Googled her).

EDIT: From the CLS website: "Jennifer Laurin ‘03 is a 2003 graduate of CLS and a felllow in the Careers in Law Teaching Program. At Columbia Jennifer was Executive Articles Editor of the Columbia Law Review, a Kent Scholar, and the recipient of the John Ordronaux Prize for her graduating class. Since 2005 Jennifer has been an associate at the New York City civil rights firm of Cochran, Neufeld, & Scheck (CNS), LLP, where she has litigated on Section 1983 cases across the country, with a special emphasis on federal civil rights claims arising out of wrongful convictions. Prior to joining CNS Jennifer clerked for the Honorable Thomas Griesa on the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, and the Honorable Guido Calabresi on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Jennifer earned her B.A. in politics from Earlham College."

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:07 pm

penni_rose wrote:
Esc wrote:I'm still trying to find out more info on Laurin, who is teaching Crim Law for section 4. Does anyone know anything about her?
She must be a fairly new faculty member, do you know if this will be her first semester teaching?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Did anyone else with a scholarship get their bill and find the scholarship missing? It listed the anticipated financial aid from loans, but not the scholarship. I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:50 pm

penni_rose wrote:Did anyone else with a scholarship get their bill and find the scholarship missing? It listed the anticipated financial aid from loans, but not the scholarship. I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.
I got the bill, and it says nothing about my scholarship. I'll probably visit Shirley again in the morning.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:50 pm

Esc wrote:
penni_rose wrote:
She must be a fairly new faculty member, do you know if this will be her first semester teaching?
Looks like it's her first semester at UT based on the fact that she has no other courses listed. The info I pulled from the CLS website was faculty info, though.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:50 pm

JazzOne wrote:
penni_rose wrote:Did anyone else with a scholarship get their bill and find the scholarship missing? It listed the anticipated financial aid from loans, but not the scholarship. I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow.
I got the bill, and it says nothing about my scholarship. I'll probably visit Shirley again in the morning.
I'll probably see you there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:51 pm

my scholly showed up. you'd better call and find out whats going on

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:52 pm

penni_rose wrote:
Esc wrote:
penni_rose wrote:
Looks like it's her first semester at UT based on the fact that she has no other courses listed. The info I pulled from the CLS website was faculty info, though.
I guess we'll be her first class. That should be...interesting :|

Here's hoping she's a good teacher. There were too many bad experiences in UG with inexperienced teachers who effed up the class

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:59 pm

Esc wrote: There were too many bad experiences in UG with inexperienced teachers who effed up the class
I have a feeling we'll have a similar experience in law school :(.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:02 pm

penni_rose wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
I'll probably see you there.
penni,

I would plan to be down there at 9:00 tomorrow. I just took a closer look at my bill. I was wrong. They deducted my scholarship, and the bill shows an adjusted balance. I'm sorry I gave you bad information before. I was just going off the email they sent me, but when I clicked the link to investigate further, I discovered that my scholarship is clearly indicated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”