Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
nukelaloosh

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by nukelaloosh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:44 pm

Now that schedules are out I have a question for y'all:

What does your worst class day look like during 1L? (First class/Last class)

Are there classes scheduled on Fridays?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:16 pm

nukelaloosh wrote:Now that schedules are out I have a question for y'all:

What does your worst class day look like during 1L? (First class/Last class)

Are there classes scheduled on Fridays?
My schedule is lovely. All of my days look okay--to me, anyway. See for yourself.

MONDAY
Contracts 9:13 am - 10:20 am
Torts 10:30 am - 11:20 am
Civ Pro 12:30 pm - 1:37 pm
Gym 2 pm - 3:30 pm

TUESDAY

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY
Legal R&W 9:10 am - 10:20 am
Gym 12 pm - 1:30 pm

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:44 pm

That is an awesome schedule.

Are they all that good?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:47 pm

nukelaloosh wrote:That is an awesome schedule.

Are they all that good?
In my opinion, no.

Tacitus

New

Post by Tacitus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:53 pm

OperaAttorney by finals time:

Anyone got a band-aid? I'm CUT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YoungFella

New

Post by YoungFella » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:05 pm

penni_rose wrote:As we are all in the same section, we should vow to kick ass in that section by getting together early. That way we can form study groups and make sure that TLS dominates at least one section this year. Not really. I'm not that concerned with getting my study group up yet, but I am concerned with getting to know some people in my section. Anyone interested in starting an email dialogue or something?

I'm basically without internet access for the rest of the week (my grandma doesn't have a computer, so I have to go to my aunt's to get online), but I would be interested in communicating when I get back to civilization. Anyone up for it shoot me a PM or an email. penaimee@gmail.com
I'm Joseph.Trunzo@student.shu.edu

Yes, I still use my undergrad email address haha.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Tacitus wrote:OperaAttorney by finals time:

Anyone got a band-aid? I'm CUT
1. I'm cuter and naturally darker.
2. I don't take steroids.

YoungFella

New

Post by YoungFella » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Opera -

I go to the gym 6 days a week. Our schedules and times in class also seem similar. We should go to the gym together.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:29 pm

YoungFella wrote:Opera -

I go to the gym 6 days a week.
Pics--or it doesn't happen! :lol: Just kidding.

YoungFella wrote:Our schedules and times in class also seem similar. We should go to the gym together.
That could work, YF. Send me a PM.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:11 pm

i'm in 4d, hodges. picking up and driving starting on friday, can't wait to get there.

ajtheaj

New

Post by ajtheaj » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:07 pm

nahmorlah wrote:
Cogito wrote:
penni_rose wrote:
Cogito wrote:What do you guys think about buying the class textbooks on amazon? Most of the casebooks are at a 20% discount, which usually amounts to saving about $30/book. Does the school bookstore sell them at full price? wonder if buying them at school offers any advantage.
Just the rebate from the Co-op, which isn't terribly impressive if I remember correctly. Also, the ability to look at the book first and make sure that whoever had it before you didn't do something crazy to it (supposing you buy some of your book used through Amazon). That's pretty much it.
well, the 20% discount i'm talking about is for the brand NEW books that you order straight from amazon. pretty sweet deal methinks (free shipping to boot).
I priced the books for Section 4.B. Here are the prices (Co-op prices are in black; Amazon in red):

Co-op Amazon

28355 - Laurin (Law 423: Criminal Law)
Criminal Law: Cases and Materials (American Casebook), Dix and Sharlot
REQUIRED
$ 132.00 $145.00
Understanding Criminal Law, Dressler
OPTIONAL
$ 37.00 N/A
Course Subtotal (before tax): $169.00 $145.00 (Note: I couldn't find Understanding Criminal Law on Amazon new)
*Course Total (after tax): $182.94 $145.00

28405 - Torres (Law 431: Criminal Law)
Property Examples & Explanations, 3e (Paperback), Burke and Snoe
REQUIRED
$ 43.95 $34.01
Property Cases and Materials (University Casebook), Cribbet et al
REQUIRED
$ 137.00 $121.75
Course Subtotal (before tax): $180.95 $155.76
*Course Total (after tax): $195.88 $155.76

28580 - Perry (Law 534: Constitutional Law)
Constitutional Law (University Casebook Series), Gunther and Sullivan
REQUIRED
$ 146.00 $162.00
Deciding to Decide: Agenda Setting in the United States Supreme Court (Paperback), Perry
REQUIRED
$ 34.50 $36.50
Course Subtotal (before tax): $180.50 198.50
*Course Total (after tax): $195.39 198.50

For Property, going with Amazon is the easy choice. For Constitutional, it might make sense to get the casebook from the Co-op and Deciding to Decide from Amazon. Same with Criminal. Hope this helps, guys.

* This is an approximation. Also, I'm assuming most of you will pick up the books from the Co-op. Amazon has no tax and free shipping if you don't live in Washington.

[Edit: The tax rate in Austin is 8.25%]
This doesn't factor in the fact that the Coop will give you a gift card worth 10% of your purchases for the prior year, which you can then spend on the next year's textbooks. Also, the Coop is more likely to buy a book back if you bought it from the Coop. Between cash and store credit returns, you get ~30% of the price back.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:20 pm

My buddy in Austin says the temp's been 105 for the last 42 days!!!

How are you guys handling such sublime weather?

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:28 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:My buddy in Austin says the temp's been 105 for the last 42 days!!!

Man, I've thought the weather the last few days have been beautiful, but coming from Houston, the lack of humidity has that effect.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Daico wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:My buddy in Austin says the temp's been 105 for the last 42 days!!!

Man, I've thought the weather the last few days have been beautiful, but coming from Houston, the lack of humidity has that effect.
I'm not complaining. I'm from So Cal. The prospect of living with a water bottle in my right hand is soothing.

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:58 pm

He forgot about the one day we got of 99. And the 25 of 109. Wear shorts/skirts/kilts ( I assume kilts are breezy). If anyone shows up to an event in a suit or something close to it, automatic gunner title for life.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:18 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
countbizaller wrote:
In Rau's defense, he did offer the best law school advice I've ever heard at our orientation. Maybe he'll be on the panel again for you guys.

That and he went to school with the Unibomber. That's got to count for something.
I'm not too worries about Rau yet. The last "ogre" professor I had ended up being one of my favorites. I'll judge Rau for myself.

Now, what law school advice did he give?

And, did you have Anderson (torts) or Silver (civpro)?
I don't know much about Rau, but I had a class that was right after his in the same room and he never seemed like an ogre when he was talking with students. Maybe some people don't like him cause he's too academic and not enough teacher? Who knows. And the advice he gave was something a professor told him when he was in law school. He said that students often complain that law school doesn't prepare them at all for their jobs when they graduate. But the purpose of law school isn't suppossed to prepare you for your first job. It's suppossed to prepare you for your last.

And I don't know anything about Anderson or Silver. I had Kadens for contracts and I second everything buttermilk said. She's tough, intimidating, and borderline brilliant, but she also really cares about making you good lawyers. I hope she got tenure.

And I didn't have Mullenix but some friends of mine did. Evidently she's so into civ pro that she'll tell her students to go to bed reading the federal rules of civil procedure every night...and she's dead serious.

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:55 am

Weren't we supposed to get our fee bills with our schedules? I haven't gotten anything yet... and, I haven't gotten my financial aid yet either. Am I in trouble?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

1000bmr

New

Post by 1000bmr » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:21 pm

JoeShmo wrote:Weren't we supposed to get our fee bills with our schedules? I haven't gotten anything yet... and, I haven't gotten my financial aid yet either. Am I in trouble?
I thought I read somewhere that we get our bills at orientation, and I thought I read on the website yesterday that optional fees must be checked by the 10th and bills would be out on the 17th. So I'm not exactly sure what the deal is, but I'm pretty confident that you don't need to worry for right now. As for financial aid, I was notified of a merit scholarship via letter, but the mailing was strictly a 1-page letter saying congratulations and all that. Nothing about tuition.

------------

A question:
I can log into the Freshlaw page no problem, but Law Student Central doesn't work for me. Like, if I try to click "My class schedule" I get "The EID you entered does not match any law students." Is that the same for everybody else?

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:57 pm

1000bmr wrote:I can log into the Freshlaw page no problem, but Law Student Central doesn't work for me. Like, if I try to click "My class schedule" I get "The EID you entered does not match any law students." Is that the same for everybody else?
I could log in to the Law Student Central just fine with my Freshlaw EID, but under "My Class Schedule" it says I am not registered for Fall 2009. Maybe we have to pay tuition first. But yeah, I could log in, so maybe you should contact someone about that.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:37 pm

countbizaller wrote:
And I didn't have Mullenix but some friends of mine did. Evidently she's so into civ pro that she'll tell her students to go to bed reading the federal rules of civil procedure every night...and she's dead serious.
Thanks for responding, Count. Mullenix sounds insane. How can anyone be that into civ pro? :lol:

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm

1000bmr wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:
------------

A question:
I can log into the Freshlaw page no problem, but Law Student Central doesn't work for me. Like, if I try to click "My class schedule" I get "The EID you entered does not match any law students." Is that the same for everybody else?
I get the same thing. Hope it's not just the 2 of us

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:52 pm

mpar wrote:
1000bmr wrote:
JoeShmo wrote:
------------

A question:
I get the same thing. Hope it's not just the 2 of us
That's probably because we aren't registered even though we've been assigned to our respective sections. I remember reading somewhere that we will be registered closer to orientation day.

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:26 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:

YoungFella wrote:Our schedules and times in class also seem similar. We should go to the gym together.
On this note, does anyone know when we are allowed to start using UT gym facilities? At my undergrad school students weren't allowed to use the facilities during an academic term for which they were not registered (i.e. I couldn't use the student rec center during the summers if I wasn't taking any summer classes, even though I was still a student and took classes fall and spring).

I'm moving to Austin this week and really want to be able to start hitting the gym before classes start...?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 pm

art vandelay wrote:
I'm moving to Austin this week and really want to be able to start hitting the gym before classes start...?
Look at Art...trying to stake the territory before the other dieseled 1L's make it to Gregory LOL.

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:37 pm

art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

On this note, does anyone know when we are allowed to start using UT gym facilities? At my undergrad school students weren't allowed to use the facilities during an academic term for which they were not registered (i.e. I couldn't use the student rec center during the summers if I wasn't taking any summer classes, even though I was still a student and took classes fall and spring).

Same deal at UT, no gym if you're not registered for that semester. I really wish it was otherwise and I could have spent the summer playing a ton of basketball

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”