Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mpar

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by mpar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:57 pm

TheIdiot wrote:For those who know:

Do the shuttle drivers ever check/ask for a UT ID? I've been on it a few times w/my Dad and wife (non UT students) and we've never paid. When my wife boarded the other day and tried to pay, they essentially told her not to. Is this because they assume she's a student or is the shuttle just free for everyone?

P.S. Austin rules !!
The UT shuttles are free for all as far as I know (after riding them for 4 years). Bums will get on them sometimes and occasionally get kicked off, though
blackknight wrote:Just finished packing up my car so I should be there within a day since Im driving the entire way in one shot.
Safe drive!

jester36

New

Post by jester36 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:58 pm

Esc wrote:I just received the invitation to join the Board of Advocates organization. They appear to be the student org for people interested in advocacy, mock trial, moot court, etc.

Anyone have any opinions on if joining is worth it? I'm planning to focus more on clinics and journals, rather than moot court, so I'm kind of leaning against joining.

Countbiz? RatRatRat? What say you?
I would imagine you'd be rather busy as it is. At the very least, it would behoove you to wait until classes start and see how much free time you have. Our first year is rather important, and we shouldn't over burden ourselves.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm

Esc wrote:I just received the invitation to join the Board of Advocates organization. They appear to be the student org for people interested in advocacy, mock trial, moot court, etc.

Anyone have any opinions on if joining is worth it? I'm planning to focus more on clinics and journals, rather than moot court, so I'm kind of leaning against joining.

Um, I'm not quite sure what it would do for you your 1L year. Moot court/mock trial stuff doesn't start until your 2L year so I imagine you'd just help host events or fill in as witnesses/bailiffs. Not really sure. Some journals and orgs let you join as 1Ls, but you can't really do anything so it's just a way to meet up with more people for beer & pizza.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:54 pm

TheIdiot wrote:For those who know:

Do the shuttle drivers ever check/ask for a UT ID? I've been on it a few times w/my Dad and wife (non UT students) and we've never paid. When my wife boarded the other day and tried to pay, they essentially told her not to. Is this because they assume she's a student or is the shuttle just free for everyone?

P.S. Austin rules !!
On a related note, the regular buses that run throughout the city are free to students. You just swipe your ID card. But the UT shuttles are pretty laxed. Too many students piling in and out to swipe everybody.

longhornnyc

New

Post by longhornnyc » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:00 am

YoungFella: I'm coming from Brooklyn (Park Slope). You?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YoungFella

New

Post by YoungFella » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:15 am

longhornnyc wrote:YoungFella: I'm coming from Brooklyn (Park Slope). You?
Staten Island.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:29 am

countbizaller wrote:

Um, I'm not quite sure what it would do for you your 1L year. Moot court/mock trial stuff doesn't start until your 2L year so I imagine you'd just help host events or fill in as witnesses/bailiffs. Not really sure. Some journals and orgs let you join as 1Ls, but you can't really do anything so it's just a way to meet up with more people for beer & pizza.
Well, in my opinion, I think it's more important to focus on grades at the start. I would only join orgs if you'd like to meet people or you are particularly passionate about whatever the org is about. B/c grades matter so much, I felt like it was important to look at this other stuff once 1L was out of the way.

As for joining journals the first year, although you can, I don't think that's really a great idea either.

anyway, from what you're saying, it doesn't sound like you're all that interested, so I'd just skip it. There's a big org. fair right at the beginning of the yr. anyway, so you'll prob find something you're into there that you feel is more worth the time.

But like countbizaller said, it's really about the food.
Last edited by RATRATRAT on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:32 am

RATRATRAT wrote:
countbizaller wrote:

Well, in my opinion, I think it's more important to focus on grades at the start. I would only join orgs if you'd like to meet people or you are particularly passionate about whatever the org is about. B/c grades matter so much, I felt like it was important to look at this other stuff once 1L was out of the way.

As for joining journals the first year, although you can, I don't think that's really a great idea either.

But anyway, from what you're saying, it doesn't sound like you're all that interested, so I'd just skip it. There's a big org. fair right at the beginning of the yr. anyway, so you'll prob find something you're into there that you feel is more worth the time.
That lines up exactly with what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some huge bonus in joining this particular org. Thanks for the input.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:36 am

Esc wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:
countbizaller wrote:

But anyway, from what you're saying, it doesn't sound like you're all that interested, so I'd just skip it. There's a big org. fair right at the beginning of the yr. anyway, so you'll prob find something you're into there that you feel is more worth the time.
That lines up exactly with what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some huge bonus in joining this particular org. Thanks for the input.
No problem. & really, it just depends on what your goals are. If you're someone that knows you want criminal defense & you're not as worried about grades, but would like to network, then joining orgs. or the criminal law journal the first year makes sense. But if you're more interested in the big law firms, then I feel like this approach is better suited for that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:44 pm

Just got into town. Hitting up The Salt Lick. It's fucking hot here.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:49 pm

JazzOne wrote:Just got into town. Hitting up The Salt Lick. It's fucking hot here.
You're already there? I'm jealous. How do you like your new place?

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:00 pm

JazzOne wrote:Just got into town. Hitting up The Salt Lick. It's fucking hot here.
When I tell people I'm moving to Austin the universal comment is "Wow, that's going to be really hot." So yeah, not excited about moving into my apartment in 100+ heat with humidity. Any of you who currently live in Austin have any tips on how to not melt?

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:11 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:SECTION ASSIGNMENT PREDICTIONS

Section 1
Esc
SSDD
Snooker

Section 2
OperaAttorney
JazzOne

Section 3
BlackKnight
Daico

Section 4
Penni_Rose
ArtVandelay

Any thoughts? :lol:
Feeling crushed by the competition already!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Alta wrote:
When I tell people I'm moving to Austin the universal comment is "Wow, that's going to be really hot." So yeah, not excited about moving into my apartment in 100+ heat with humidity. Any of you who currently live in Austin have any tips on how to not melt?
Suggestions:

Park your car in a garage or carport. See if you can get a place with one of those features. My apartment always has a place for my car in the shade. Crack your windows a bit when you are out and about shopping. Solar reflectors help, too.

Check the insulation in your apartment and on your air conditioning unit. Chances are, the foam pipette insulating your AC unit will probably have fallen apart, making your AC that much weaker. The better your insulation, the cooler the air pumping into your apartment will be. Check the insulation around your doors. You might be surprised to find cold air pumping out of your apartment through cracks in the door.

Get a straw cowboy hat and impress the ladies (or gentlemen) while keeping the hot sun off your head.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Alta wrote:
Start using a bike to get around instead of an air conditioned car. Soon you won't notice the heat. Or you'll be dead. Either way, problem solved :mrgreen:

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Thanks for the tips - I will definitely check my insulation, don't want to be wasting money/energy on cooling the outside air. I was planning on biking as much as possible, so I suppose I will have to get used to being a sweaty mess - but maybe if I get a cowboy hat I can still impress the gentlemen :wink:

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Esc wrote:I would love to be in Section 1. But I don't get the chart :|
I would like section 2 or perhaps 3. If we get our class assignments backwards perhaps we can switch.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:48 pm

You just picked the wrong week. When I got into DFW airport from Europe a week ago it was only 91. I heard we had a pretty decent cool front for like a week and a half (or at least Dallas did). I didn't actually make it back to Austin until Tuesday and it was already getting warmer by then.

EDIT: Also, it's interesting that you're going to Salt Lick tonight for 2 reasons. 1. This is on the UT homepage today http://www.utexas.edu/features/2009/07/27/barbecue/ 2. The Texas Exes in LA are apparently having a big BBQ tonight with Salt Lick shipped in from Driftwood (my friend is a grad student at USC and she will be there).

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:09 pm

And if you need any help figuring out how to settle into Austin, you could PM one of us local Texas people here. From the sounds of it, I assume you are moving down from Alaska?

The rental market north of campus is very good right now. Many of the landlords have gone into panic mode and put a 10% discount on their availabilities.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Snooker wrote:And if you need any help figuring out how to settle into Austin, you could PM one of us local Texas people here. From the sounds of it, I assume you are moving down from Alaska?

The rental market north of campus is very good right now. Many of the landlords have gone into panic mode and put a 10% discount on their availabilities.
That's awesome. I got those comments when I moved back here from Boston. Everyone up there thinks it's impossible to live in Texas without melting. I think it's impossible to live there without freezing. The first day I walked to work in 6 inches of snow, I decided that everyone in New England is crazy.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:43 pm

penni_rose wrote:
Snooker wrote:And if you need any help figuring out how to settle into Austin, you could PM one of us local Texas people here. From the sounds of it, I assume you are moving down from Alaska?

That's awesome. I got those comments when I moved back here from Boston. Everyone up there thinks it's impossible to live in Texas without melting. I think it's impossible to live there without freezing. The first day I walked to work in 6 inches of snow, I decided that everyone in New England is crazy.
+ 1 (Especially the red)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:04 am

Seriously! 5F, a cold evening in winter, is much worse than 100F, a hot day in summer. All those poor saps in new england shoveling their cars out of the snow have it much worse than the Texans running those powerful air conditioning units. They probably see our summers as being so brutal because air conditioning isn't quite so prevalent over there.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:25 am

Snooker wrote:Seriously! 5F, a cold evening in winter, is much worse than 100F, a hot day in summer. All those poor saps in new england shoveling their cars out of the snow have it much worse than the Texans running those powerful air conditioning units. They probably see our summers as being so brutal because air conditioning isn't quite so prevalent over there.
5F?? My eyeballs would freeze in their sockets!

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:38 am

So, I've heard that students looking for 1L summer judicial internships tend to just send out mass mailings in order to maybe get a few bites. Question: Say I do this and wind up sending cover letters/resumes to lots of Texas judges. That means lots of courts will be doused with mail from me. If every judge on (for instance) the TX Supreme Court gets a letter from me, doesn't that look bad? What if they compare applications and see that this Art Vandelay fool looks desperate for an internship, considering he's told every one of them that he wants to work for them?

Would anyone advise coming up with multiple variations of cover letters so that every judge on a given court doesn't get a letter from me that's worded the exact same way? OR should I not even worry about it? Are they even likely to discuss this stuff amongst themselves? Am I just a paranoid douchebag?

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:21 am

art vandelay wrote:So, I've heard that students looking for 1L summer judicial internships tend to just send out mass mailings in order to maybe get a few bites. Question: Say I do this and wind up sending cover letters/resumes to lots of Texas judges. That means lots of courts will be doused with mail from me. If every judge on (for instance) the TX Supreme Court gets a letter from me, doesn't that look bad? What if they compare applications and see that this Art Vandelay fool looks desperate for an internship, considering he's told every one of them that he wants to work for them?

Would anyone advise coming up with multiple variations of cover letters so that every judge on a given court doesn't get a letter from me that's worded the exact same way? OR should I not even worry about it? Are they even likely to discuss this stuff amongst themselves? Am I just a paranoid douchebag?
Sounds like one of those questions that the counselors can answer for you in about a month :lol: We can't send em out till 12/1 anyway, right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”