Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
art vandelay

Bronze

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by art vandelay » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:46 pm

SSDD wrote:Image

I'm glad to see we've raised the discussion up from politics, to pictures of unicorns and rainbows. Thank you google images! :lol:
Still, no serious namecalling. Props, fellow UT Law students. Maybe it's true that we're just more laid back than students at peer schools. I know if this were a Georgetown or Penn thread my joke namecalling would have been taken seriously by at least a few posters, and nasty stuff would've ensued.

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:08 am

Lot'o page movement this weekend. A friend recently informed me that a group of unicorns is actually called a 'blessing of unicorns' so there's that.

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:04 am

art vandelay wrote:
SSDD wrote:Image

I'm glad to see we've raised the discussion up from politics, to pictures of unicorns and rainbows. Thank you google images! :lol:
Still, no serious namecalling. Props, fellow UT Law students. Maybe it's true that we're just more laid back than students at peer schools. I know if this were a Georgetown or Penn thread my joke namecalling would have been taken seriously by at least a few posters, and nasty stuff would've ensued.
We're cool, bro, we're cool.

Seriously, though, if we can't talk politics and unicorns without getting pissed at each other, the next three years are gonna suuuuuuuuuck.

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:16 am

Daico wrote:
Seriously, though, if we can't talk politics and unicorns without getting pissed at each other, the next three years are gonna suuuuuuuuuck.
+1. There isn't going to be any way around these discussions. Besides, how many people hated the kid in undergrad that would start insulting people when they didn't agree with him? No one wants to be that guy.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 am

art vandelay wrote:Meh. I'm a Republican that's on the fence with regards to Kay vs. Rick. I like lots of stuff Rick has done, but this franchise tax a few years back combined with all his pointless right-wing posturing is turning me off. I like Kay's stated goal of focusing the GOP around economic issues and forgetting all the social-issue demagoguery, but then she hasn't done a thing to prevent her slide in the polls. She should be running around the state speaking out against things like Obama's health care plan, the cap-and-trade bill, etc; and then reminding Republicans that she voted (or will vote) against that stuff. That'd help her shore up some more GOP primary support, but who knows what's going on.

I actually don't mind Bill White, at least he's not fundamentally retarded when it comes to energy (like the rest of his party). Still, I'd never vote for him because I prefer not to further enable Obama as he goes about bankrupting our country.

Bill White doesn't really strike me as a partisan northern democrat who is on board with those ivory tower theories about historical patterns of oppression and the need to pursue highly abstract political goals such as making everyone totally equal. Whenever White sits down to deal with a problem, he pretty clearly thinks in terms of "how can this policy deliver the most tangible benefits to our constituents?" White is exactly the sort of guy we need representing us here in Texas - not only is he a real gentleman and an incredibly smart man, but he puts ordinary people first. That's something remarkably rare in today's ultra-partisan world. He's also a UT Law alum, which is +1000 points.

I'd recommend that Republicans take a look at this candidate statewide as we did in Houston, where White won with 92% of the vote. Politicians such as Perry and Corynn are so heavily backed by the establishment that they approach leadership with the attitude of a drunk cowboy staggering into a saloon looking for a brawl. Even if you disagree with the colors, putting a fantastic individual in office and bringing multi-party rule to Texas is certainly worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:15 am

This is why UT is the superior law school. Look at the Columbia thread, they're already discussing which professors are harsh graders in there, while at the same time we are talking about Perry and posting pictures of unicorn giblets and rainbows. It wouldn't be as much fun if everyone at the law school were serious and uptight all the time.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:00 am

To be fair, I'm pretty damn sure that Opera was analyzing different professors' grading tendencies a few pages back. And I know that I've been looking at the schedules since around May.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am

Esc wrote:To be fair, I'm pretty damn sure that Opera was analyzing different professors' grading tendencies a few pages back. And I know that I've been looking at the schedules since around May.
I'm so far behind it's not even funny. I don't know any professor names; I haven't analyzed any grading tendencies; and I haven't so much as cracked an E&E. No Law Review for me.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:18 am

Esc wrote:To be fair, I'm pretty damn sure that Opera was analyzing different professors' grading tendencies a few pages back. And I know that I've been looking at the schedules since around May.
OK obviously it is time for me to look for Opera's post so I don't fall behind on my gunsmanship.

They also have a PDF of grade distributions by course on the main website.

Clearly all law students are grade-obsessed, so the real measure of a law school's students is their ability to break away from it for a bit. Now where is that grading analysis?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:32 am

I did notice esc worrying about his connections to biglaw hiring partners. There's maybe 950 biglaw partners in Houston, an area of 6 million. So maybe one in 6,300 people is a biglaw hiring partner. It's not like most UT law students will have just bumped into these guys out on the street (because their mercedes windows are tinted dark and always rolled up). Half of them probably want to be a public interest crusader at this point.

I have some doubts about how widespread networking will be for 1L hiring. It will certainly be a big deal for those who've gone out and done it, but from all accounts, 1Ls seem to be jumping in the boat without a paddle.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Daico wrote: Seriously, though, if we can't talk politics and unicorns without getting pissed at each other, the next three years are gonna suuuuuuuuuck.
Unicorns? No problems.

Politics? I'm not so sure. I thinking it will probably be best to avoid hot-button topics with people who don't fit in the "friendship" category--that is, strangers and acquaintances :lol:.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:59 pm

But that was soft gunning, Esc :).

And yes, I've been looking at the beautiful schedule grid Penni created. I have issues with every section schedule; it matters little where I'm placed. Section IV scares me the most: Farrell's Con Law class gets out at 5pm. I don't want to get out of class at 5pm. That's so uncool.

Props to UT for giving us 3-day weekends. Fri, Sat, and Sun off? That's sweet.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Link to the schedule grid please!

As for politics, so long as folks keep a respectful tone it shouldn't be a big worry. Reading these boards, you'd wonder if someone would break out a huge flame war because you suggested peanut butter and jelly sandwiches aren't the most nourishing treat for a law student.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:15 pm

Snooker wrote:
OK obviously it is time for me to look for Opera's post so I don't fall behind on my gunsmanship.

They also have a PDF of grade distributions by course on the main website.

Clearly all law students are grade-obsessed, so the real measure of a law school's students is their ability to break away from it for a bit. Now where is that grading analysis?
Just for you, great sir.

CIV PRO (4 small sections, 1 large lecture)
11 A+s, 29 As, 34 A-s, 54 B+s, 26 Bs, 38 B-s, 11 C+s, 5 Cs

Notes: The small-section profs--with the exception of C. Silver, who awarded 2 A+s--awarded only 1 A+. P. Hansen's section performed the best (grades ranged from B- to A+).

CON LAW 1 (4 small sections, 1 large lecture)
7 A+s, 34 As, 41 A-s, 43 B+s, 32 Bs, 23 B-s, 14 C+s, 5 Cs, 1 D

Notes: Of the small-section profs, Steiker, who co-directs the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic, awarded the most grades in the A range: 1 A+, 3 As, and 9 A-s. And he only awarded 2 B+s! Who wants Steiker for ConLaw?

CONTRACTS (2 large lectures, 1 slightly larger lecture)
13 A+s, 49 As, 40 A-s, 95 B+s, 56 Bs, 30 B-s, 16 C+s, 2 Cs, 1 D, 1 F

Notes: All 3 profs are stingy with their A+s, no matter how you look at it. Contracts blows.

CRIM LAW 1 (4 small sections, 2 large lectures)
16 A+s, 48 As, 48 A-s, 75 B+s, 48 Bs, 37 B-s, 17 C+s, 5 Cs, 1 D, 1 F

Notes: With the exception of Jinks, the small-section profs gave at least 1 A+. Still, Jinks's class fared better than the others (grade distribution: 3 As, 7 A-s, 7 B+s, 3 Bs, and 5 B-s). Klein did not play when grading his small section--he awarded every grade possible!

PROPERTY (1 large lecture)
4 A+s, 16 As, 19 A-s, 31 B+s, 16 Bs, 7 B-s, 6 C+s, 4 Cs, 1 D

TORTS (4 small sections)
6 A+s, 16 As, 15 A-s, 21 B+s, 20 Bs, 12 B-s, 6 C+s, 1 C

Notes: Both Avraham and Stapleton awarded 2 A+s, 4 As, 3 A-s. F. Cross awarded 3 As, 6 A-s. McGarty awarded 2 A+s, 5 As, 3 A-s. Avraham did not award grades lower than a B-; the others awarded 2 C+s per section, with McGarity including 1 C .

Thoughts, anyone?

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Just for you, great sir.

Notes: The small-section profs--with the exception of C. Silver, who awarded 2 A+s--awarded only 1 A+. P. Hansen's section performed the best (grades ranged from B- to A+).

Notes: Of the small-section profs, Steiker, who co-directs the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic, awarded the most grades in the A range: 1 A+, 3 As, and 9 A-s. And he only awarded 2 B+s! Who wants Steiker for ConLaw?

Notes: All 3 profs are stingy with their A+s, no matter how you look at it. Contracts blows.

Notes: With the exception of Jinks, the small-section profs gave at least 1 A+. Still, Jinks's class fared better than the others (grade distribution: 3 As, 7 A-s, 7 B+s, 3 Bs, and 5 B-s). Klein did not play when grading his small section--he awarded every grade possible!

TORTS (4 small sections)

Notes: Both Avraham and Stapleton awarded 2 A+s, 4 As, 3 A-s. F. Cross awarded 3 As, 6 A-s. McGarty awarded 2 A+s, 5 As, 3 A-s. Avraham did not award grades lower than a B-; the others awarded 2 C+s per section, with McGarity including 1 C .

Thoughts, anyone?
Wow, I'm surprised that they even give A+'s. Does that mean getting an A is now underachieving? Yikes.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:49 pm

JazzOne wrote:
I'm so far behind it's not even funny. I don't know any professor names; I haven't analyzed any grading tendencies; and I haven't so much as cracked an E&E. No Law Review for me.
Don't feel bad. I haven't cracked open any of the books Law Preview gave me. (That's what the month of August is for :lol:.) I didn't even do the reading for each lecture :lol:. Some ppl took LawPreview seriously, though. They did all the reading, highlighting like crazy; they took detailed notes and always spoke during the lectures; and they almost always cornered the professors at the end of each lecture. But 99% of these students were headed to schools outside the T30.

What were your LawPreview classmates like?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:57 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
Don't feel bad. I haven't cracked open any of the books Law Preview gave me. (That's what the month of August is for :lol:.) I didn't even do the reading for each lecture :lol:. Some ppl took LawPreview seriously, though. They did all the reading, highlighting like crazy; they took detailed notes and always spoke during the lectures; and they almost always cornered the professors at the end of each lecture. But 99% of these students were headed to schools outside the T30.

I was probably the one who came off like a douche. I'm much older than most of the other students, and I'm not bashful to speak in front of a group. I did find it a little odd how much the women bragged about their credentials during breaks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:18 pm

JazzOne wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I was probably the one who came off like a douche. I'm much older than most of the other students, and I'm not bashful to speak in front of a group. I did find it a little odd how much the women bragged about their credentials during breaks.

I didn't think the talkative students were douches. I admired them for being excited about reading and discussing cases--in June! I just couldn't get into it. That week, instead of reading each night, I went out with friends and did other stuff.

If any bragging went on, I never heard about it. During Monday's introduction, our first lecturer made each person give his/her name, UG, and intended law school. Some guy attended Harvard for UG and was headed to Yale for law school. When he said that, everyone gagged! :lol:

By the way, have you set a date for PIZZA AT JAZZONE'S? I arrive on August 18.

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:15 pm

JazzOne wrote: I was probably the one who came off like a douche. I'm much older than most of the other students, and I'm not bashful to speak in front of a group. I did find it a little odd how much the women bragged about their credentials during breaks.
(Disclaimer: I'm not a misogynist, I swear.) I suspect that the women might have been dealing with a certain amount of...insecurity, let's say, with starting in a field that is pretty damn male dominated. I feel pretty certain that no matter how confident each of us is overall, there's at least a little part that occasionally goes, "According to everybody ever, 1L will crush the souls of the weak into a fine powder to sell to BigLaw partners to snort along with their cocaine, am I at all prepared?" (or something to that effect). Basically, I wouldn't be surprised to find that pre-1L insecurity combined with trying to break into a profession with a rep for being an old boy's club.

Or they could just all be vapid self-centered bitches, what do I know?
OperaAttorney wrote:[
Just for you, great sir.

TORTS (4 small sections)

Thoughts, anyone?
It's probably for the best that they just assign our professors for us 1L. I recall the Human Situation course we had to take freshman year where we were allowed to choose our discussion leaders. The in-demand professors' classes filled up within, literally, ten seconds in some cases. If you weren't waiting at the sign-up page ready to hit the button when registration opened, you missed out.

It caused a lot of bad blood in some instances.

At least this way we don't have to stress out about picking the most generous professors! Small blessings, I know.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm actually not at all concerned about 1L professor grading. They all seem to be grading very close to the curve, so given the individual differences between classes, there doesn't seem to be any negative or positive outliers...

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:26 pm

Speaking of politics, does anyone know how partisan judges are in the Austin area? I'm a Republican, and I have involvement in my undergrad college republicans chapter on my resume, as well as an internship with a Republican congressman. And I'll join the Federalists at UT, so that too. I can just delete the College Republicans and Federalists from my resume, but the work for the congressman is kind of important.

Anyway, for example, I assume that most of the state court of appeals judges in Travis county are Dems, so will that hurt me looking for judicial internships with them next summer? Understandably, they'll probably be more interested in grades, but to what extent would a Democratic judge look down on Republican activism?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:52 pm

If law school grades seem inflated, it's because they are. Look at this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... GPA_curves

Some old commentary on vault may clarify why UT's grades are up there. UT's grades seem to have been much more deflated in recent memory, but without a ranking system, this led to difficulties in securing judicial clerkships and opportunities with employers not as familiar with UT. Applicant grades seemed low at first glance, but in reality those grades were actually at the top of the class. To fill the gap in information with a bit of theory, the school raised the median GPA to the level where any students who would be eligible for employment at V50 firms (such as Baker Botts, which wants top 35% of schools like UT or UVA), would be bumped to at least an A-.

It seems like a reasonable policy to me. The grade system for law schools is all about signaling ability. A third of grads may get A-, but that isn't to say they haven't achieved a lot or aren't the right person for that judicial clerkship.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:08 pm

I really like how UT transcripts (at least unofficial ones) say that UT gives 5% A+, 10% A, and 10% A-...not at all true!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:17 pm

art vandelay wrote:Speaking of politics, does anyone know how partisan judges are in the Austin area? I'm a Republican, and I have involvement in my undergrad college republicans chapter on my resume, as well as an internship with a Republican congressman. And I'll join the Federalists at UT, so that too. I can just delete the College Republicans and Federalists from my resume, but the work for the congressman is kind of important.

Anyway, for example, I assume that most of the state court of appeals judges in Travis county are Dems, so will that hurt me looking for judicial internships with them next summer? Understandably, they'll probably be more interested in grades, but to what extent would a Democratic judge look down on Republican activism?
Isn't Texas predominantly Repub? Isn't Wallace Jefferson, the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court, and a few others on that court Rep?

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:53 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:Speaking of politics, does anyone know how partisan judges are in the Austin area? I'm a Republican, and I have involvement in my undergrad college republicans chapter on my resume, as well as an internship with a Republican congressman. And I'll join the Federalists at UT, so that too. I can just delete the College Republicans and Federalists from my resume, but the work for the congressman is kind of important.

Isn't Texas predominantly Repub? Isn't Wallace Jefferson, the Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court, and a few others on that court Rep?
Yeah, the broader state is more Repub than Dem, but I'm talking about state court of appeals judges in Austin. Supreme Court judges are elected on a statewide basis, but the various district court of appeals judges are elected ffrom within the various districts, I think. So as a result a look at the roster of court of appeals judges in the Austin / Travis County district reveals mostly Dems.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”