Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaAttorney

Silver

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Esc wrote:nah, I asked this Q. 1L classes vary by section.
I'm still confused. Do 1L's take the same courses taught by the same professors each semester? Or do they take the same courses with different sections taught by different professors? I guess I need to visit the UT website and READ LOL hahaha.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:37 pm

OK. I just compared 1L course schedules from 2007-2008 and 2008-2009. It seems that 1L's don't take the same courses each semester, as some courses (e.g. Torts, Con Law I, etc) are taught both semesters. I find it cool (or perhaps uncool) that you don't know what your small section course is. I can't tell what course I'd prefer for my small section; ConLaw "feels" comfortable, but with my luck I'll be thrown into a CivPro small section :lol:.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackknight

New

Post by blackknight » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:47 pm

What do you mean 95% sure? Do you mean that you paid the seat deposit but are still considering withdrawing? Because if you haven't paid the seat deposit....well, the deadline to do so was several days ago.
Paid the seat deposit, just waiting on a couple of waitlists to see what happens. I'll be 100% at the end of may once Columbia lets most of the waitlist people know what is going on.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:00 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:OK. I just compared 1L course schedules from 2007-2008 and 2008-2009. It seems that 1L's don't take the same courses each semester, as some courses (e.g. Torts, Con Law I, etc) are taught both semesters. I find it cool (or perhaps uncool) that you don't know what your small section course is. I can't tell what course I'd prefer for my small section; ConLaw "feels" comfortable, but with my luck I'll be thrown into a CivPro small section :lol:.

What do you guys think?
I'm hoping for small section ConLaw or CivPro, as I think I am interested in ConLaw, and I sat in on a CivPro small section by (I think) Prof. Dickerson and found it intriguing. But then, as a 0L, I guess I seriously don't know jack shit about what I'm saying, and won't know until I actually take the classes.

RatRatRat, here's a Q: When did you find out your section assignment and 1L schedule?

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Esc wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:OK. I just compared 1L course schedules from 2007-2008 and 2008-2009. It seems that 1L's don't take the same courses each semester, as some courses (e.g. Torts, Con Law I, etc) are taught both semesters. I find it cool (or perhaps uncool) that you don't know what your small section course is. I can't tell what course I'd prefer for my small section; ConLaw "feels" comfortable, but with my luck I'll be thrown into a CivPro small section :lol:.

What do you guys think?
I'm hoping for small section ConLaw or CivPro, as I think I am interested in ConLaw, and I sat in on a CivPro small section by (I think) Prof. Dickerson and found it intriguing. But then, as a 0L, I guess I seriously don't know jack shit about what I'm saying, and won't know until I actually take the classes.

RatRatRat, here's a Q: When did you find out your section assignment and 1L schedule?
I hear CivPro blows :(. Maybe we'll both like it. Still, I believe that the professor makes/breaks the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:14 pm

For all the hate GULC gets, and despite the fact that its career prospects are worse than UT/Vandy, it's never going to drop past #14. So long as GULC is the #14 school, the term T14 will have meaning. Every time someone asks what T14 means, USNews gets an advertisement. USNews would be foolish to let GULC's rank drop; that would destroy the internet mythology.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Snooker wrote:For all the hate GULC gets, and despite the fact that its career prospects are worse than UT/Vandy, it's never going to drop past #14. So long as GULC is the #14 school, the term T14 will have meaning. Every time someone asks what T14 means, USNews gets an advertisement. USNews would be foolish to let GULC's rank drop; that would destroy the internet mythology.
I think that eventually USNWR will have to bow to reality, but I do think that it will take longer than it should. Currently, GULC, UT, and Vandy should be tied....the rankings really are dumb.

Actually, one of the things that impressed me about attending the Texas Law Review reception at ASD was how all the current Law Review students were all very pleased with their education and had no regrets about not going to a higher ranked school. Nobody really seemed to care about the rankings. One 3L said he is going to a BigLaw firm in D.C. that rejected a GULC friend of his.....and guess who paid more for tuition? 8)

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Esc wrote:
Snooker wrote:For all the hate GULC gets, and despite the fact that its career prospects are worse than UT/Vandy, it's never going to drop past #14. So long as GULC is the #14 school, the term T14 will have meaning. Every time someone asks what T14 means, USNews gets an advertisement. USNews would be foolish to let GULC's rank drop; that would destroy the internet mythology.
I think that eventually USNWR will have to bow to reality, but I do think that it will take longer than it should. Currently, GULC, UT, and Vandy should be tied....the rankings really are dumb.

Actually, one of the things that impressed me about attending the Texas Law Review reception at ASD was how all the current Law Review students were all very pleased with their education and had no regrets about not going to a higher ranked school. Nobody really seemed to care about the rankings. One 3L said he is going to a BigLaw firm in D.C. that rejected a GULC friend of his.....and guess who paid more for tuition? 8)
My UT alumnus contact, who chose UT over several higher-ranked schools, made the same points.
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Esc wrote: RatRatRat, here's a Q: When did you find out your section assignment and 1L schedule?
I think we didn't get it until late summer. It'll be on Freshlaw.

& if you're interested in Civpro, the school is currently trying to woo a great civil procedure prof, Professor Bone, from Boston U. right now. He's here teaching my class as a visiting prof. & he's great. Maybe you'll get lucky & get civpro w/ him.

& about civpro being a terrible class, I'd imagine it is, but with this prof. it's actually my favorite class this semester, second favorite in LS so far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Are you being serious?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:00 pm

how are gulc's career prospects worse than UT/Vandy? i've always considered them as having a slight edge, a very expensive slight edge though

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:06 pm

f0bolous wrote:
how are gulc's career prospects worse than UT/Vandy? i've always considered them as having a slight edge, a very expensive slight edge though
Ya know I've always heard that, too, but I really think that's only in regards for like biglaw in major markets where those stats come from. I mean, if you're just looking for a good job, I'd rather be at the bottom of the class @ UT than the bottom of the class at GULC. The Texas market would seem a lot better to me than trying to compete with all the T14 in GULC's major markets.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:25 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Ya know I've always heard that, too, but I really think that's only in regards for like biglaw in major markets where those stats come from. I mean, if you're just looking for a good job, I'd rather be at the bottom of the class @ UT than the bottom of the class at GULC. The Texas market would seem a lot better to me than trying to compete with all the T14 in GULC's major markets.
Knowing that I am going to go to UT gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. If I get top grades, I can do anything a Harvard grad could do, even SCOTUS clerk. If I get crappy grades, I'll still be able to get a decent job here in Texas.

I don't think that someone going to GULC could say that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Esc wrote:

Well now, hold on a second. Much as I agree that Georgetown is dramatically overpriced for what it offers, do keep in mind that the people on Law Review are...the people on Law Review and would have had excellent grades so they will naturally be the example of the best opportunities on offer.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:31 pm

lol @ the egregious anti-GULC trolling

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:31 pm

f0bolous wrote:lol @ the egregious anti-GULC trolling
Also, UT is the best degree to have in NYC, amirite?

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:34 pm

The CSO panel did seem to be under the impression that, since few UT grads want to go to NYC, those who do are eagerly sought after by the NYC firms. I dunno if this is true or not.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:37 pm

I lol'ed.

All the GULC/USNWR hate was a welcome break from my paper.
Esc wrote:The CSO panel did seem to be under the impression that, since few UT grads want to go to NYC, those who do are eagerly sought after by the NYC firms. I dunno if this is true or not.
Stands to reason. They would be a rarer commodity. Fordham/NYU/CLS grads are just so damn cliche and boring. [/Sarcasm...sorta].

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Daico wrote:
That's definitely not the case. But it also isn't the case that a UT grad hoping for NY is a hopeless case.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:39 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Daico wrote:
That's definitely not the case. But it also isn't the case that a UT grad hoping for NY is a hopeless case.
tyft

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:42 pm

TYFT = ???

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SSDD

New

Post by SSDD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:44 pm

We're seceding anyway right? We're going #16 to #1!!!

Think about how great our career prospects will be after the war. HYS? psshht.. More like, STH.

Man, I don't like Rick Perry....... :evil:
Last edited by SSDD on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:47 pm

SSDD wrote:We're seceding anyway right? We're going #16 to #1!!!

Think about how great our career prospects will be after the war. HYS? psshht.. More like, TSH.

If Texas were to secede I would flee before a swarm of rednecks tried to set fire to Austin.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:47 pm

Esc wrote:

Think about how great our career prospects will be after the war. HYS? psshht.. More like, TSH.

If Texas were to secede I would flee before a swarm of rednecks tried to set fire to Austin.
pssh elitist :roll:

txag_09

New

Post by txag_09 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:48 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:TYFT = ???
Than you for that [I think?]

He claims that his words were "misinterpreted" by people who "haven't read" the Texas Constitution. Yeah, like he has read the Constitution and its 450+ amendments...

That Perry is quite the silly bastard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”