Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
TheIdiot

New

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by TheIdiot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:32 pm

After you submit the online photo, how long does it take for the Freshlaw status to update? I did mine yesterday and it still says it hasn't been submitted. And is the picture supposed to look so frickin huge? I thought I cropped it right but, man, it's a little intimidating.

ArthurDayne

New

Post by ArthurDayne » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:44 pm

TheIdiot wrote:After you submit the online photo, how long does it take for the Freshlaw status to update? I did mine yesterday and it still says it hasn't been submitted. And is the picture supposed to look so frickin huge? I thought I cropped it right but, man, it's a little intimidating.
Speaking of the photo, I still need to submit mine, but can't find any paperwork indicating the specifics nor anything on freshlaw. Can somebody fill me in on required size (in inches or pixels) and whether it is supposed to be head shot/full shot/doesn't matter? Anything else?

Thanks

Also, are the book discussion required? I wouldn't mind going, but I didn't find out until recently, and I don't know that I would be able to get the book and have it read by next Monday. I would feel a bit awkward hoping to not get called on before classes even officially start. Or should I just suck it up and get one done? Need to register by the end of the day today.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:03 pm

JazzOne wrote:I have three questions for you all who are familiar with UT and the freshlaw website.

First, where is the gym? I'd like to start working out tomorrow. I have a map, so perhaps you could simply tell me the name of the building.
Second, where can I find old exams? I know this was discussed a few pages back in the thread, but I was in the middle of moving, and I failed to bookmark the page. Also, is there a section in the library for past exams?

Third, where would I go to find out about assignments for the first week?

Thanks a bunch.
Old exams can be found online on the Current Students page. Hard copies are published in volume format each year, and are stored on the 4th floor of the library. Be aware that a professor's participation in making their exams available is voluntary, and some choose not to do so. I'm running into this problem for my classes---the only exams available for my professors are a few property exams from the mid 90s

Neverknowsbest

New

Post by Neverknowsbest » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:23 pm

ArthurDayne wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:After you submit the online photo, how long does it take for the Freshlaw status to update? I did mine yesterday and it still says it hasn't been submitted. And is the picture supposed to look so frickin huge? I thought I cropped it right but, man, it's a little intimidating.
Speaking of the photo, I still need to submit mine, but can't find any paperwork indicating the specifics nor anything on freshlaw. Can somebody fill me in on required size (in inches or pixels) and whether it is supposed to be head shot/full shot/doesn't matter? Anything else?

Thanks

Also, are the book discussion required? I wouldn't mind going, but I didn't find out until recently, and I don't know that I would be able to get the book and have it read by next Monday. I would feel a bit awkward hoping to not get called on before classes even officially start. Or should I just suck it up and get one done? Need to register by the end of the day today.
I think it needs to be 2x2 in. and I know my books isn't really that long, I'm sure you COULD finish a book in a week. I don't think its graded or anything, I guess the worse that would happen is that it would be awkward if you didn't do it.

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:38 pm

Every part of the orientation is optional--seriously, what the hell are they going to do, kick you out?--but go ahead and do the book reading if you have any free time. Most of the books are pretty easy reads and it's a neat opportunity, as the cant goes, to get some time with a professor you normally wouldn't see your first year, if ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArthurDayne

New

Post by ArthurDayne » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:40 pm

Yeah, looking over the books, some of them sound like interesting reads that I could probably finish in a couple of days.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:41 pm

I would attend orientation; I would not read the book. There's no point. Orientation does have some useful information so I wouldn't skip it.

longhornnyc

New

Post by longhornnyc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Just read through Rau's e-mail...guy sounds hysterical. It's too bad about the no laptops, though.

Neverknowsbest

New

Post by Neverknowsbest » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Does anyone know if it is free to park at the capital metro park and ride locations? I can't find anything about it costing money, but I don't want to assume that means its free.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheIdiot

New

Post by TheIdiot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:47 pm

longhornnyc wrote: Just read through Rau's e-mail...guy sounds hysterical. It's too bad about the no laptops, though.
+1. And the longest syllabus I have ever seen.

TheIdiot

New

Post by TheIdiot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:51 pm

Oh, and I'm not doing the book-reading. I was signed up but I can't even afford to feed myself/family until financial aid, so when my society mentor-guy told me it was optional, I bailed out. Should be fun for those who do it though. I'll of course be at the rest of orientation (minus the dinner-thingy).

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:52 pm

longhornnyc wrote:Just read through Rau's e-mail...guy sounds hysterical. It's too bad about the no laptops, though.
Yes, Rau sounds like a character. I'm eager to see how well I'll do without a laptop. I know that taking notes by hand will force me to write down only key points. We'll see.

Does anyone know how much we're to read by day 1? I skimmed the syllabus and didn't find any dates.

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:53 pm

TheIdiot wrote:Oh, and I'm not doing the book-reading. I was signed up but I can't even afford to feed myself/family until financial aid, so when my society mentor-guy told me it was optional, I bailed out. Should be fun for those who do it though. I'll of course be at the rest of orientation (minus the dinner-thingy).

Tell me about being in a money crunch! Why do you think I picked THE MERCHANT OF VENICE--the cheapest book on the list? :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Neverknowsbest wrote:Does anyone know if it is free to park at the capital metro park and ride locations? I can't find anything about it costing money, but I don't want to assume that means its free.
Yes it's free. The bus is also free. I took it a few days ago at no cost.

TheIdiot

New

Post by TheIdiot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:13 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
longhornnyc wrote:Just read through Rau's e-mail...guy sounds hysterical. It's too bad about the no laptops, though.
Yes, Rau sounds like a character. I'm eager to see how well I'll do without a laptop. I know that taking notes by hand will force me to write down only key points. We'll see.

Does anyone know how much we're to read by day 1? I skimmed the syllabus and didn't find any dates.
Pages 1-11 in the casebook and he mentions we'll be doing Hawkins v. McGee (I'm not sure if this is within these pages, since I don't have the book yet)

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 pm

TheIdiot wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

Pages 1-11 in the casebook and he mentions we'll be doing Hawkins v. McGee (I'm not sure if this is within these pages, since I don't have the book yet)
Thanks. I'll read the syllabus tonight.

We should hook up for coffee or something before classes begin. We poor section 2 folks need to stick together LOL :).

TheIdiot

New

Post by TheIdiot » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:54 pm

OperaAttorney wrote: We should hook up for coffee or something before classes begin. We poor section 2 folks need to stick together LOL :).
Anytime. I've been hanging out at the coffee shop across from the law school the last several days going through Getting To Maybe. Still have a few days worth of work to do. I've also been spending a fair amount of time at a nice little shop on the lake near my apartment (Mozarts). But pretty much anywhere there's coffee (or better yet, yerba mate) on a bus route, I can get there. Send me a PM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:00 pm

I'm glad I'm not with Rau; I really don't want to have to take handwritten notes for any of my classes.

By the way, has anyone in section 4 received an assignment or message from any of the professors? I haven't....I'm beginning to wonder if we'll get any assignments.

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Esc wrote:I'm glad I'm not with Rau; I really don't want to have to take handwritten notes for any of my classes.

By the way, has anyone in section 4 received an assignment or message from any of the professors? I haven't....I'm beginning to wonder if we'll get any assignments.
Haven't heard a peep yet

mlloyd

New

Post by mlloyd » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:59 pm

Same for Section 3... at least 3C I can attest to... By the way has anyone gotten access to the gym yet? I know that some schools can be behind on updating that sort of thing...

yournamehere

New

Post by yournamehere » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:02 am

Esc wrote:I'm glad I'm not with Rau; I really don't want to have to take handwritten notes for any of my classes.

I'm in 4D, my ConLaw prof (Robertson) has posted the syllabus and an initial reading assigment, along with a no-laptop policy. sux.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Daico

New

Post by Daico » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:09 am

OperaAttorney wrote:

Anybody who'll quote Alice in Wonderland as written by lawyers gets a mark of approval in my book.
TheIdiot wrote:Oh, and I'm not doing the book-reading. I was signed up but I can't even afford to feed myself/family until financial aid, so when my society mentor-guy told me it was optional, I bailed out. Should be fun for those who do it though. I'll of course be at the rest of orientation (minus the dinner-thingy).
If you want to read Our Undemocratic Constitution (by Levinson, with Levinson), I've finished my copy and could lend it to you.

joesrevenge

New

Post by joesrevenge » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:53 am

Im in section 2 and thus have Rau. I kind of like the no laptop thing because as someone mentioned earlier, it might make it easier to take notes that are a little bit more concise and focus on the main points as opposed to a transcript of each class.

Im doing the book reading because I signed up for it with Anderson - who happens to be my torts professor. The book was an easy read and most of the 2Ls recommended doing it.

So everything at orientation is optional? I would like to not be at the school from 8am-7pm and a few of those events seem rather pointless.

To the other section 2 students: are any of you planning to go to the meet and greet thing on Sunday? (I believe it is only for section 2A and 2B though).

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 am

mpar wrote:

Haven't heard a peep yet
Me either. I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm also praying that none of them post a no laptop policy. I hate taking notes by hand. It always leads to typing them so that I can reorganize them properly.

nukelaloosh

New

Post by nukelaloosh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:35 am

The no-laptop policy will likely lead to me buying a smart pen: --LinkRemoved--

Anyone here a vet using the GI Bill? If so, I'd like to ask you a few questions, feel free to PM me

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”