Texas Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
penni_rose

Bronze

Re: Texas Class of 2012

Post by penni_rose » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:16 pm

Did anyone figure out what Dollars for Scholars is? I'm pretty clear on the rest of the optional fees.

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:49 pm

art vandelay wrote:
Alta wrote:
Cogito wrote:
Alta wrote:Section 3C - Cadena Society

Civ Pro - Linda Mullenix
Property - Lynn Blais
Contracts - David Sokolow
LRLW - Emery Choi

Any other 3C's out there? Bueller? Bueller?
I'm 3B, which from the looks of your schedule means we have all the same courses, but different professors (although I also have mullenix for civpro). I don't know about you, but civpro, prop, contracts, AND LRLW during the same semester sounds fucking brutal to me. Good luck to us! I hope there are no curves that are set across sections.
Agreed. I'm attempting to look on the bright side by telling myself that second semester will be awesome compared to first - but it's not helping much so far. Trial by fire I suppose.

Anyone know anything about Sokolow? His name sounds very familiar, but I can't figure out why.
Sokolow is the Director of Student Life (or something like that) so he wrote an article that was posted on the Freshlaw site. Also he spoke to us at ASW lunch.
Oh right, that's where I remember him from. Thanks, that's been bugging me all day.

buttermilk

New

Post by buttermilk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 pm

I'm a 2L.

I had Kadens for Contracts. She's fantastic. People will tell you to be afraid of her. Don't believe them. Yes, she will intimidate you. Yes, she will scare you. Yes, she might even be mean to you. But you won't have another professor who cares more about your success as a law student. Go to her office hours and talk to her. She will do everything she can to help you. When it comes to finding jobs, she will be more helpful than Career Services. When it comes to registering for classes, she will have better advice than Student Affairs.

She taught the full section last year, so things will be a little different for you. But participate in class. You might hear rumors that professors are lying about factoring class participation into grades. That might be true for other people. It is not true for Kadens. Class participation raised my grade one level. Also, unlike a lot of your fellow 1Ls, <cough>people-taking-Rau<cough>, you'll actually learn Contracts.

I had Perry for Con Law. He's also fantastic. You might hate him, though. Some people did. He's very frustrating. He only assigns reading for the next day, so you cannot read ahead. The class is almost pure Socratic method. You might hate it. You might not think you're learning anything. But you will be. You will have no control over whether you participate. He decides everything. He also cares deeply about your success.

My Crim Law professor isn't teaching this fall. Neither is my LRLW instructor.

If you're lucky enough to have either Kadens or Perry, be thankful. They are two of the three best teachers I've had in my entire life.

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:16 pm

3C here. I hear Mullenix is brutal. Yay.

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:19 pm

buttermilk wrote:I'm a 2L.

I had Kadens for Contracts. She's fantastic. People will tell you to be afraid of her. Don't believe them. Yes, she will intimidate you. Yes, she will scare you. Yes, she might even be mean to you. But you won't have another professor who cares more about your success as a law student. Go to her office hours and talk to her. She will do everything she can to help you. When it comes to finding jobs, she will be more helpful than Career Services. When it comes to registering for classes, she will have better advice than Student Affairs.

She taught the full section last year, so things will be a little different for you. But participate in class. You might hear rumors that professors are lying about factoring class participation into grades. That might be true for other people. It is not true for Kadens. Class participation raised my grade one level. Also, unlike a lot of your fellow 1Ls, <cough>people-taking-Rau<cough>, you'll actually learn Contracts.

I had Perry for Con Law. He's also fantastic. You might hate him, though. Some people did. He's very frustrating. He only assigns reading for the next day, so you cannot read ahead. The class is almost pure Socratic method. You might hate it. You might not think you're learning anything. But you will be. You will have no control over whether you participate. He decides everything. He also cares deeply about your success.

My Crim Law professor isn't teaching this fall. Neither is my LRLW instructor.

If you're lucky enough to have either Kadens or Perry, be thankful. They are two of the three best teachers I've had in my entire life.
Uh, can I ask you to go deeper into your thoughts on Rau? I've got him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:24 pm

When do we know when our classes are?

buttermilk

New

Post by buttermilk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:45 pm

I obviously didn't take Rau, so I only know (1) what friends think of him and (2) his general reputation.

My friends did not think highly of him.

And his reputation is even worse. I have never heard someone say that they liked him. That's not to say that there isn't someone out there who does like him. I've just never spoken to or heard of that person.

Alta

New

Post by Alta » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:57 pm

JoeShmo wrote:When do we know when our classes are?
If you click on the course number that shows up in Freshlaw it will show you the course time and place.

Mullenix is brutal, eh? Fabulous. Well I guess we will all be struggling through together.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:00 pm

Cogito wrote:Section 3, Group B. McCormick Society

Civil Procedure Linda S Mullenix
Property Lynn E Blais
Contracts Emily E Kadens
Legal Research & Legal Writing Robin B Meyer

holy crud, this is the schedule I was dreading, and bitching about, a couple dozen pages back! :evil: And 4/4 female professors... hrmm, interesting.

what's is the society thing about?
Damn! Kadens & Mullenix in one section? You guys are gonna be some hardened sons of bitches come Dec.

And the society program is great. Anybody in 4C is gonna have one of the best mentors in Lindzi. She was in my small group last year and is born to mentor. I got another friend who's mentoring too but I don't know what his section is yet. I bet ya'll are getting pretty excited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

longhornnyc

New

Post by longhornnyc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks to all talking about the profs. Sad to hear the negative info on Rau.

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm in 3C as well! I heard that Mullenix is tough, but a really great professor. I'm looking forward to it.

I also heard positive things about Blais and Sokolowe, so I'm really excited about it. Plus I really like the actual class schedule.

So I know that Alta and mlloyd are 3Cs...anyone else?

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Section 4 so far. I've got 3 people in 4B, 2 in 4A, and 1 in 4D. Let me know if I missed anyone.

4A = mpar and penni_rose

4B = Esc, 1000bmr, and nahmorlah

4C = ??? Really, no one?

4D = YoungFella

As we are all in the same section, we should vow to kick ass in that section by getting together early. That way we can form study groups and make sure that TLS dominates at least one section this year. Not really. I'm not that concerned with getting my study group up yet, but I am concerned with getting to know some people in my section. Anyone interested in starting an email dialogue or something?

I'm basically without internet access for the rest of the week (my grandma doesn't have a computer, so I have to go to my aunt's to get online), but I would be interested in communicating when I get back to civilization. Anyone up for it shoot me a PM or an email. penaimee@gmail.com

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:06 pm

Emailed. Good idea. Mine's matt.e.parks@gmail.com

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:24 pm

longhornnyc wrote:Thanks to all talking about the profs. Sad to hear the negative info on Rau.
Yeah. Have you seen Rau's Contracts exams? I looked at 2 of them--they look scary! But my friend, who practices International Arbitration for a V50 firm, was amazed to hear I'm taking Rau for Contracts. He says Rau's has a stellar academic reputation. But that says nothing about his teaching. I'm not too worried, though. I've never met a lion I couldn't tame. ;)

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:08 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
longhornnyc wrote:Thanks to all talking about the profs. Sad to hear the negative info on Rau.
Yeah. Have you seen Rau's Contracts exams? I looked at 2 of them--they look scary! But my friend, who practices International Arbitration for a V50 firm, was amazed to hear I'm taking Rau for Contracts. He says Rau's has a stellar academic reputation. But that says nothing about his teaching. I'm not too worried, though. I've never met a lion I couldn't tame. ;)
I'm seeing a common thread emerge re: Rau. He's got a great reputation as an academic, but you won't "actually learn Contracts" from him.

That means his classes are full of quirky hypos and public policy discussions that make for great research routes but aren't tested on exams. Looks like we'll have to indulge him in class and then go home and teach ourselves the BLL of Contracts.

Am I right? Just a guess.... :)

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:21 am

art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
I'm seeing a common thread emerge re: Rau. He's got a great reputation as an academic, but you won't "actually learn Contracts" from him.

That means his classes are full of quirky hypos and public policy discussions that make for great research routes but aren't tested on exams. Looks like we'll have to indulge him in class and then go home and teach ourselves the BLL of Contracts.

I dunno. I wouldn't worry too much about it. What's done is done.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:26 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
art vandelay wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:

I dunno. I wouldn't worry too much about it. What's done is done.
In Rau's defense, he did offer the best law school advice I've ever heard at our orientation. Maybe he'll be on the panel again for you guys.

That and he went to school with the Unibomber. That's got to count for something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaAttorney

Silver

Post by OperaAttorney » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:30 am

countbizaller wrote:
In Rau's defense, he did offer the best law school advice I've ever heard at our orientation. Maybe he'll be on the panel again for you guys.

That and he went to school with the Unibomber. That's got to count for something.
I'm not too worries about Rau yet. The last "ogre" professor I had ended up being one of my favorites. I'll judge Rau for myself.

Now, what law school advice did he give?

And, did you have Anderson (torts) or Silver (civpro)?

jester36

New

Post by jester36 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:21 am

penni_rose wrote:Did anyone figure out what Dollars for Scholars is? I'm pretty clear on the rest of the optional fees.
"The fee of $2 a semester supports the Student Endowed Centennial Lectureship. The endowment is used to bring speakers to the University to lecture, teach, or meet with students."

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:25 am

Considering having a 90's party during or right before orientation. I have hard to wreck floors (concrete), so it could work. I know we should probably stay away from theme party with the UT law's past, but 90's seems innocent enough

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:45 am

mpar wrote:Considering having a 90's party during or right before orientation. I have hard to wreck floors (concrete), so it could work. I know we should probably stay away from theme party with the UT law's past, but 90's seems innocent enough
Do it. I had a '90s party a few months back right before UG graduation. Still have the '90s music playlist. Pretty ridiculous. The best, in my opinion. You can have it if you need some beats to lay down.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mpar

New

Post by mpar » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:58 am

It just depends if I can get my dog over this territorial thing she's going through right now for some reason. Or if a friend wants to watch her for the night, I'll see. The whole thing started when I was following 90's music videos on youtube. I now have a big list of songs to get, haha.

JoeShmo

New

Post by JoeShmo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:19 am

jaxon05 wrote:I'm in 3C as well! I heard that Mullenix is tough, but a really great professor. I'm looking forward to it.

I also heard positive things about Blais and Sokolowe, so I'm really excited about it. Plus I really like the actual class schedule.

So I know that Alta and mlloyd are 3Cs...anyone else?
Me too!

davidin

New

Post by davidin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:59 am

Last edited by davidin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1000bmr

New

Post by 1000bmr » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:03 pm

penni_rose wrote:Section 4 so far. I've got 3 people in 4B, 2 in 4A, and 1 in 4D. Let me know if I missed anyone.

4A = mpar and penni_rose

4B = Esc, 1000bmr, and nahmorlah

4C = ??? Really, no one?

4D = YoungFella

As we are all in the same section, we should vow to kick ass in that section by getting together early. That way we can form study groups and make sure that TLS dominates at least one section this year. Not really. I'm not that concerned with getting my study group up yet, but I am concerned with getting to know some people in my section. Anyone interested in starting an email dialogue or something?

I'm basically without internet access for the rest of the week (my grandma doesn't have a computer, so I have to go to my aunt's to get online), but I would be interested in communicating when I get back to civilization. Anyone up for it shoot me a PM or an email.
mpar wrote:Emailed. Good idea.
emailed.
Last edited by 1000bmr on Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”